Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
where's the hyper key?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
an emacs pack where every key is labeled "self-insert-command"

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
more like rub it out

original joke do not steal

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
someone just threw away eBay gold

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

field mark marks a field (3270 terminals were significantly smarter than non-IBM terminals and worked with fields instead of just lines and poo poo)

for some reason this thing has the "INS" and "DEL" keys replaced with the equivalent proofreaders' marks. perhaps it was meant to be used by non-technical women and/or children.

at the time that thing was being designed a large number of programmers probably had secretarial backgrounds. even after the initial round of "programming's like typing!" faded out, people were giving aptitude tests with things like logic programs on it to basically everyone to identify and train new programmers. in addition to the stoners and general wastoids that are my professional role models, they still got more than a few ladies from the office pool.

https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2011/07/28/normalizing-female-computer-programmers-in-the-1960s/

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
every time I've used a kinesis it's been a shitshow. how long does it take to stop hitting wrong keys all the time and hating your life? and does it mess with using non-bowl kbs?

I should add that I don't have detectable rsi at this point, so using one is strictly either prophylactic or just doin it cuz it's cool and good.

pgroce fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 6, 2016

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

eschaton posted:

go old, get an Apple Extended Keyboard II and an ADB-USB adapter, that'll get you some sweet ALPS or Mitsumi key switches (the latter on the "made in Japan" variant)

or go pseudo-old and get a Matias USB clone of the AEK II or tenkeyless variant thereof, they make their own switches based on the ALPS design and also have "quiet" variants that feel a little more like Mitsumi switches

I have the mini tactile pro and use it at work. it owns if you like clicky keyboards. I prefer the action to my friends wasd with (I think) browns.

only thing is it has a funky industrial design that looks more like something you'd find in "friendly" consumer electronics in the 80s. curvy, glossy plastic casing. it's really quite solid, but comes off less solid/durable/"corporate" than a lot of mech keyboards. I only notice that when I'm picking it up and moving it around though, it feels dreamy to type on.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

eschaton posted:

would anyone be interested in a replica lisp machine keyboard if one should be made?

mechanical, of course, and either Matias or Cherry key switches, based on the production Symbolics layout

USB of course, and producing all of the proper key codes from all of the various meta, hyper, super, etc. keys

oh hell yes

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

pram posted:

this is what my keys are based on :smug:

where'd you get those sweet capz? i, too, want my keyboard to look like it's 1968.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
counterpoint: i used to use compugraphic phototypesetter terminals whose keys were the oldest of skool and those fuckers were mirror-shiny.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

surebet posted:

it's still within the realm of reason for a re-issue of a popular set

weirdo nerd idiocy, envy and greed gave us this last summer:
https://originative.co/products/sa-penumbra
https://originative.co/products/sa-hyperfuse

the part that i found especially insulting is that for effectively three hundred earth dollars shipped all you got is a bastardized re-issue in row 3 only with other small stuff that got hosed with

they did that to preserve the ~prestige~ of owning a "true" round one issue all the while charging something crazy retarded knowing idiots would fall for it, since penumbra has been known to sell in the almost four figgie range

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5nt6h7/the_problems_with_penumbra_r2/?st=j3mes05z&sh=888aa386

can't wait for :china: to come in and smash all this pretentious nerd poo poo

e: active now! artisanal!

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

surebet posted:

if you've ever wanted to kick a start, input club is running a white fox batch over there instead of the usual massdrop & co

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lekashman/whitefox-mechanical-keyboard

not my cup of tea, but i figure a couple of you might be down for this. 60%ish, halo switches, pbt caps, layers & a not bad case.

i plunked down for this. literally the only floating keyboard i've liked the looks of.

anyone used the halo trues? do they feel like topres like it says, or do they just feel like browns or something? are they poo poo for idiots that i'll hate forever? :ohdear:

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they're brand new switches, i don't think anyone's used 'em yet

welp I'm the guinea pig then. I look forward to my inevitable disappointment

rip me

unless you just hate all tkl boards, in which case lol idgaf

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
i want a kb with the layout on the right

hell yes i want two space bars

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

HEY NONG MAN posted:

these keys are all ABS though

abs shine works nice on retro caps imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

how it went is that they're designing and building whole new loving switches, in close consultation with their patent lawyers to make sure (lol) they don't infringe. this is pushing the kickstarter fulfillment for the new switches back to 1/30.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lekashman/whitefox-mechanical-keyboard/posts/1988707

quote:

The switch manufacturer (which is separate from the keyboard manufacturer) is also working extremely diligently on producing our revised switches, but they require our presence in China to rapidly go over prototyping and make necessary adjustments. To that end, our team is actually flying out to China in two weeks to make sure that the replacements for Halo True and Halo Clear switches are spectacular. When we return from that trip, we will have quite a bit more information about the entire production process.

Handling the situation with our previous partners has cost us some time that could otherwise be spent working on keyboards, and thus we are going to revise our ship date for WhiteFox keyboards. This decision is also determined by the fact that we are testing our new switches for tens of millions more cycles than the original Halo switches. In our last update we had mentioned that we planned to fulfill in December for the whole order, but we don’t feel very comfortable with that date any longer and will be revising the ship date for Halo replacement orders to January 30th, 2018. For Kickstarter orders without Halo switches, we plan to ship in the month of December. Please be aware that if you want to cancel your order, you are welcome to do so at any time by messaging us via Kickstarter’s system, however we recommend that you keep reading as we may have an alternative that interests you.

We’ve also been working very diligently with legal counsel to make sure that our newly invented switches don’t have any conflicts or issues with the switch tooling owned and controlled by Massdrop. Multiple lawyers have advised us to keep details of the switch private until we are actually in a position to immediately produce and ship keyboards to backers, to reduce the potential risk of delays stemming from legal disputes. We are an extraordinarily open organization and it pains us to have to remain quiet about the cool features we’ve built into these new switches, but we have a duty to protect the timeline for production and this is the best way to do so.

don't even have force curves on the new switches, they could be total poo poo. it's a fun mystery!

as someone who signed on to the ks just for the trues i'm frustrated that it's turned into a green-field design project, but if i wanted any of those other switches in a keyboard i'd have it by now, and if i wanted them in a whitefox i'd wait til they sold them in their store. i'm in it to win it.

also, as much as i'm convinced they'll still get sued into the ground with their new switches regardless of whether they manage not to infringe their old patent (unlikely), i love that they want to stomp on :yosbutt:drop's neck enough that they'd start from scratch just to gently caress them. i will support that kind of spite.

i'll report back on january 30 (or feb 30, or never 30) to let you know what these switches i know nothing about but am paying and waiting for feel like. :rip: me

• Locked thread