Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Happy hacker 2 is a poo poo layout with a bunch of wasted space on both corners and anyone who would buy one is fooling themselves; discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
http://www.mechkb.com/products/mechanical-keyboards/topre

quote:

When you purchase a Topre, you can rest assured that you are purchasing one of the highest quality keyboards available to the public.

Man, I wish I could get my hands on those private reserve keyboards that are so high quality that the public is forbidden to use them.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I NEED A NEW KEYBOOOOOOOOOARD!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

computer toucher posted:

It has black on dark grey legends so they said that's why they don't want it, and I was all like "well it doesn't say right and left on your loving steering wheel either, how is this a problem? :smug:"

sick burn even if I say so myself.

Its a realforce? I was looking at those today but I wasn't sold on any of the layouts, although I think I could get used to the 88u.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Someone make a kinesis advantage that uses topre for all of the keys including function and escape.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Power Ambient posted:

i got the type heaven first but then i got a sick new job and got the hhkb which is much better for a number of reasons but the type heaven is prob your best bet unless you can afford to not give a fucvk

I already have a filco blue nkro, but when you said that thing about affording to not give a gently caress I realized I had to get a hhkb white blank keys which I have just ordered.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I told u I was hardcore

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I thought taking a sixer was when smythe chugged a 6-pack and drove around looking for bikes on the road.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Mechanical keyboards are cool but there is definitely something to be said for ergonomic if you're actually typing for a living. I'm using a HHKB2 right now and honestly its poo poo for ergo and is starting to hurt my hands. I don't type that much so can manage it but if I was really doing work I would insist on a split design and would prefer something like a Kinesis.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mad.radhu posted:

okay i'm just going to buy every capset off massdrop, wait a while, and flip them I guess

because holy gently caress what the poo poo drat piss

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pulse-Keyset-with-11-extra-kits-Doubleshot-SA-Profile-keycap-set-/321867828149

That's a charity auction for a little girl's cancer treatment.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That \| key is really out of place, why did they do that?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
whoa man its cool, its cool I was just saying its a nice keyboard I swear look man, I didnt mean it its really cool it looks good

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah cherry is nice.... for a entry level keyboard. Topre is where its really at though.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I would have bought a kinesis except I heard that the escape and function keys were poo poo.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
we should have yospos clan tags that are about what switch we use to post and that way I can discriminate against non-topre users.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ZShakespeare posted:

It's hilarious how aside from the bargain basement mouses and keyboards that come with your dell they don't make anything higher quality that doesn't look like a stealth jet covered in cheeto dust because ~gamerz~ are the only people left on the planet that still use desktop computers.

Actually you're wrong and dumb.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

topre hhkb feel really loving nice but the layout absolutely sucks balls for fps bideo james.. also if you like your arrow and f keys without having to hit a modifier all the time i guess

i use a realforce, but if hhkb made their topre in a not retarded layout, or even a poker with topre switches I'd be all over that

The hhkb layout is so good that I'm probably going to end up buying another one to replace my filco.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was switching back and forth between a hhkb2 pro in white and a kinesis advantage for a while. The kinesis won because my wrists are weak and fragile. If anyone wants a newish topre hhkb2 with no legends let me know. Id trade for a graphics card or something.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

It's good. Getting used to keyboard layers is easier than you think.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

triple sulk posted:

someone link me a cool and good and durable keycap set, possibly with transparent characters for backlighting

If you want the ultimate mechanical experience then just run without keycaps at all.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

b h m posted:

semicolon; practically worthless

As a professional PHP writer I

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'm trying to imagine a carbon fibre keyboard

It would be really light and I think it'd feel cheap. Maybe if you put metal weights in the bottom to keep it in one place.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Silver Alicorn posted:

is carbon fiber really that much lighter than plastic? I thought the point of it was being lighter than steel

Good point. Hard to answer since I'm sure you could pick a density and thickness of plastic to be heavier or lighter than whatever number of layers of carbon fiber.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How much does a cherry switch weigh? I have a gram scale and some loose cherry switches laying around my house so I'll check later.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Should I learn dvorak or colemak? I did an hour of dvorak practice last night but then I thought hm...colemak is actually made for a computer instead of a 1800s typewriter. On the otherhand, there is more support for dvorak as its more common.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Bloody posted:

learn qwerty

I already learned it. I'm loving sick nasty at it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't have any friends and I like being miserable so I'm going to learn dvorak.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

atomicthumbs posted:

why not try Workman instead

3 reasons; I have a kinesis, which makes the top row more accessible, I like at least the idea of alternating hands for vowels/consonants, and I believe I'll find wider support across platforms.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Also, so far it has been pretty easy to switch. 2 hours over 2 days and I can touch-type all the characters. I'm going glacially, but haven't resorted to qwerty yet at work 5 hours in.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

This would be neater if it had LEDs that lit when each was activated

It would also be better if it had quality caps like topre.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Clears are for cavemen who can't control their hands.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pr0zac posted:

you mean the purple one in the top right?

Yeah, but replace all of them with topre.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I like this provided the ipad moves left to right as you type.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Step 1 : register a forums account
Step 2 : make 10,000 posts over 16 years
Step 3: hawk keyboards with a removable cord

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I know all about that plan because I'm moving onto step 3 in 2019.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have bad news for you

they are re-making the kinesis, with real f-keys this time

you'll have to buy it all over again :smithicide:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I held out for like 2 years....

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Same, going to be funny when they make an initial run of 50 and 20 get bought by yospos.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The gap between membrane switches and cherry switches is the same as the gap between cherry and topre. They are so obviously superior that the only type of person who would try to pedantically grasp at the word "mechanical" is a person who can't afford to have them.

It's like eating caviar except actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Symbolic Butt posted:

so I found a das keyboard for a cheap price and it seems to be working p fine here (finally my yosposting will get back the full power of cherry mx blue switches)

but why the hell does it need 2 usb ports? what's up with that

I think one is for the built in USB hub.

• Locked thread