Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burning swine
May 26, 2004

lmao

enter your username and then p̗̙̦̗̙̅̌ͭ̂r̗̯ͨ̓̽͛̊̐̎e̳͎͢s͐̉̎͆s̻͒̽̊͐̑̔ͧ͜ t̴̀̓h̵̤ͯ̇ͥ̿̓ͨͤe̿̔ͤ ̼̖̱͔̘̰͚͘f͇̞̙̝̙͜l̏͗ͯ͂e̙̠̠̭̐̒s̳̤̣͓̜̠͐̇̚h͔̟̹̖̄ ̝̼̦̲͖͚̦͆ͯ̀̃͑̏̍k̰̰͎̱̩̦̥̓ͬͧe͔̺̥̪͍̳̜ͩ͊̐ý̛͉̱͇̺̙͉̳

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

MancXVI posted:

a friend of mine wants to get a pink filco majestouch (pictured here: http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/filco-majestouch-tactile-action-pink-usa-keyboard.asp) but it's out of stock across the universe. anybody know where else one might find a pink keyboard with pink keycaps and cherry mx brown switches?

edit: she's also willing to do a deep dive into keyboard construction so if any of you have resources on how to build a pink mechanical keyboard from scratch lmk

You could customize a WASD keyboard with all pink keys, but I don't know if you get color options on the bezel. You can pick any keyswitch you like with them.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

needs more unicomps

burning swine
May 26, 2004

not just ABS, but not even doubleshot. lol forever at non-doubleshot backlit keys, you'll wear the letters off in 6 months

burning swine
May 26, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I bought a mech kb a few months ago and tediously live posted it itc. trip report: pressed 10 keys and lold and returned it

cks: still shitposting from a Logitech illuminated kb

Shameful

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

hot poo poo i may have to try that, left side of ergodox with mouse zone on the right of it instead of between it and me where drinks & cats usually go

cat placement is the most difficult unsolved problem in computing

burning swine
May 26, 2004

surebet posted:

doubleshot pbt keys don't really exist though

can't really speak for the quality of these specific caps, but ds abs is thicker than bargain bin keyboard abs, you you end up with nice stiff keys. doesn't solve the shine issues, but you can always resurface them if it bugs you

I've gotten at least one set of doubleshot pbt from massdrop

they can be had

burning swine
May 26, 2004

reminder that stock CODE keycaps are hot garbage

replacing them isn't really optional

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

just realized I should build a numpad on the left side of my keyboard since I've been playing a lot of doom lately and i under use the plasma gun just because '6' is really far away

burning swine
May 26, 2004

finally, a board i can get behind

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I have the worst habits

I remember specifically when typing speed suddenly became relevant in my life: kings quest 2

after you open the coffin (by typing "open coffin") you have to stake the vampire quickly, before he wakes up and bites your weak-rear end neck pixel

I was 7 and absolutely could not manage to type "kill vampire" in the 3-4 second window necessary. Eventually I had to have my dad come down and type it

and then I fell off the stairs leaving the dungeon before saving and had to have him come type it again

anyway by teaching myself to type long before typing classes came up at school I ended up with a weird-rear end approach that I don't know if I'll ever shake. I use 3 fingers on each hand - no little fingers or thumbs whatsoever. Spacebar is right index finger, every time, and I hit 'Y' with my left index finger. Kind of like the home rows, except rotated left. I can touch type in this style at ~100 wpm. But every once in a while someone parks me in front of a natural/split keyboard, and I jump my hand over the gap to hit keys and it's loving awful and embarrassing

anyway thats my typing story thanks for reading god bless

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I put a tenkeyless on my living room tv-puter to save room on the coffee table. I don't ever do anything even remotely work-like up there and even still it's a pain in the rear end. just entering a credit card number to order a pizza without a numpad sucks rear end in a top hat

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lol one of the leds on my varmilo has already burned out

I think it's been about 8 months

burning swine
May 26, 2004

surebet posted:

the gently caress?

are they switch enclosed leds or pcb mounted leds? you should complain to whoever sold it before busting out the soldering iron, but at least if it's a switch led it's fairly easy to swap it out. if it's mounted on the pcb, i hope you're handy with a reflow over/toaster oven

seller was massdrop, i doubt i'll get justice that way

the leds are soldered to the pcb, through the switch, which is normal for cherry keys. I've done plenty of rework and replacing one won't be difficult for me

replacement leds are really easy to find, but it's very likely the replacement isn't going to match the original color/intensity perfectly, so i might end up with a weird looking key. All of the standard stuff i'm finding seems to be circular, whereas the varmilo OE leds are rectangular

burning swine
May 26, 2004

browns are good

also clears

also blues and greens

also alps switches and buckling springs

burning swine
May 26, 2004

wasd is fine but code ships with garbage backlit keycaps that will be unreadable in 6 months of use

burning swine
May 26, 2004

echinopsis posted:

media keys lmao there is a fn key . also abs caps aren't bad they just normal, and not good, like pbt

but aren't u a rich super cj i mean i have one and i'm unemployed in the third world

theyre more than just bad

they're backlit ABS keys that aren't doubleshot. The keys are clear and the black background & letter outline is basically painted on. It starts coming off almost immediately.

I know you can get WASD boards with no keycaps then buy your own doubleshots, but I don't know if they sell codes with no keycaps. Either way you're almost better just snagging something equivalent on assdrop that doesn't have stupid defects

burning swine
May 26, 2004

the only thing wrong with the das is the keycaps aren't doubleshot

not perfect but still better than 99% of the crap out there

anyway just get a unicomp shaggar

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lmao

denver broncos keyboard

burning swine
May 26, 2004

workin on my newest keeb

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

That keyboard is an epic fail because it kept the number row, but just moved it to the bottom. The keyboard I'm talking about only has 3 horizontal rows.

lol where are you seeing a number row on that kb

burning swine
May 26, 2004

it's just good advice to live by. Thanks, forums posted BONGHITZ!

burning swine
May 26, 2004

give it a blast from your spice weasel

burning swine
May 26, 2004

has anyone here ever put a nice SA profile key set on a das keyboard? I've got an old model S with blues that is perfectly functional but i've had it so long i've glossed literally every key on the thing and worn off half the legends. It's so bad my fingers actually slip causing typos sometimes

it's like that one but without the FN key. I wonder if a nice set of PBT SA keys would look cool or just clash with the bezel

guide me, keyboard nerds

burning swine
May 26, 2004

surebet posted:

i honestly can't tell the difference between reds and browns

e: and if you prefer clears, i suspect you'd prefer greens over blues, iirc it's about the same stiffness difference between blues and greens than browns and clears

getting something in greens is on my todo list at some point

Typin' on a code with greens (and no dampers) right now and it owns

burning swine
May 26, 2004

same with da PBTs

lol stock code keycaps are garbage

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

the contrast between the grey keys and the black frame didn't show up well in the pictures tbh

:drat:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

Another qwerty layout board with cherry mx switches. It's like posting a picture of your toyota corolla with the upgraded trim package.

he posted it because I asked, chill out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

gotta love those honda options. want a stick? enjoy your base model! (unless you want a civic, then you have to get the ricer model)

~actually~ to this day you can get the highest trim accord with V6 with a manual transmission

let's not derail too hard about it tho

• Locked thread