Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

someone stop me from being loving retarded thanks https://www.massdrop.com/buy/z70-mechanical-keyboard

not enough number pad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

i found this website called mechanicalkeyboards.com and i bought a Ducky One with cherry mx browns and white & grey pbt 'caps and it looks classy and i really like it so far!!

don't care for the ducky logo on the meta keys but you can't win em all

who's Cal and why does he have a key

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

pulled out my otaku das keyboard with blues at home

I kind of like it but ffs why are these blank keys ABS they're shiny as poo poo

also god blues are loud

I need to go to my storage unit and get my iMate and start using my AEKI with dye-sub PBTs instead

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

jony neuemonic posted:

are you bottoming them out? blues sound like a machine gun if you type too hard.

i am, I'm seriously hard on keys. i can make an apple chiclet keyboard sound loud.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

keyboard autists keep going on about not bottoming out on mechanical boards or whatever the gently caress and i am absolutely convinced it is total loving bullshit

i slam on my keys and poo poo goes click-clack-slap and who gives a gently caress, the letters show up on the screen and im comfortable. why do you have to stop at the exact point the switch actuates? is there any proof of this being "proper" or in any way better?? i've tried not bottoming out and it just makes my wrists tense the gently caress up and hurts like hell. it's all a bunch of geekhack.org circle-jerking horseshit

:yeah:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

fukken ABS key caps

seriously if someone made a set of PBT Alps keycaps id overnight the fuckers to my office

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

dsa good, numpad bad

numpad good, buy a bigger desk

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

:prepop:

shame that they're almost certainly going to be cherry mx stem and that abs gets glossy real quick

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

are you a topre or alps fan? or something strange and exotic

alps (Matias actually)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

apparently some company in china is making Hall effect keyboards again

https://youtu.be/aE4IaXeHRd4

they seem cheap enough to pick up so I might

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

ok so we have seen a lot of keyboards, but what is the best keyboard?

Matias quiet pro

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

same but LCIIs, LCIs, and Classics

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I can't use split keyboards because my fingers hit the empty plastic in the middle

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I just noticed that he said he did 17,000 miles on a 580 lb bike

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

oh my. my my my my my.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Dodoman posted:

You would if it was dvorak

good news, with an LCD under every key it can be dvorak or any wacky layout you come up with

it can be like that random keypad your bank makes you click your pin in on

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i read that as OOZ

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

there is a SA set on massdrop which looks cool ish but a bit tacky and also ABS and expensive as gently caress

yeah i put it in my cart and once I added a full ansi set and the mac keys I went $110? for abs? gently caress that poo poo and didn't buy it

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ok I really really want one of those sets now

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

surebet posted:

in related granite news, apparently signature plastics made an alps + costars run:
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-matias-granite/

argh hell I've wanted a set like this forever but man that's expensive

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

eschaton posted:

now that a company in China is making Hall Effect switches, I'm surprised we haven't seen a replica Space Cadet Keyboard for $299

not directly keyboard related but someone's making Altair 8800 reproductions and I want one

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

blugu64 posted:

yeah I'm going to need a link

http://altairclone.com

the case and switchboard are pretty close repros, the internals are emulated so the case is like 99% air inside

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

other than Matias does anyone do a proper apple layout complete with the proper 10key numpad?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I found my old AEK and my Griffin iMate and have them hooked up again.

a few things:

* this thing needs a cleaning bad, but my key puller is at work so that'll have to wait until I drop by my office to get it
* this thing needs a retr0bright-ing bad, it looks like it's yellowed quite a bit since I put it in storage :(
* Removing the battery from the iMate seems to have made it stop dropping keystrokes
* The angle of the keyboard is weird. I'm not sure I like it.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Raluek posted:

its pretty dang adjustable. does it not go flat enough for you or something?

the original AEK (not the AEKII) isn't adjustable at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

so the Griffin iMate ADB->USB adapter has an undocumented button cell in it. I pulled it out, tested it, it was reading 1.2 V on a 3V battery.

I've left it out, so far everything seemed to work. Googling pointed to it being used for having the power button on the keyboard work to power on new-world macs.

Finally figured out that caps lock is also broken with the battery removed. :confused:

• Locked thread