Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cold on a Cob posted:

but some of them are frowns not smiles do you call those frownies? also some look like poo do you call them your posties?

They;re called emoticons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

emoticons is also acceptable

emoji is not

(also whatever you call them they do not belong in unicode)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
they aren't even all emotion based though they really need a generic name

pictoji maybe

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
clip art

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
in 20 years we'll just call them "writing"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
or rather,

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

mcfry you bojo

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Sweevo posted:

emoji is not

💩

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sweevo posted:

gender is not

yospos gettin real prescriptivist itt

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
:chome: lives on, live and in color on Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka's Something Awful Dot Com :chome:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
gmail's erasin' people's accounts too. back up your poo poo

i made a post about it on reddit which i will quote here

quote:

I just got a notification that Google had deleted an old account of mine (one which I still had emails in that I wanted to save) due to "a violation of our Terms of Service that was left unresolved."

I didn't receive any notification of a TOS violation, or any notification of any sort prior to this.

To top it off, it says "To attempt to restore access to the account, please visit our account recovery page immediately. Google Accounts can only be restored within a short period of time after deletion", but when I click the link to the recovery page, it just says that the account is no longer recoverable.

They sent the deletion notice at 1:51 AM. Presumably their timeframe for recovery is less than two hours, since that's when I got it.

A search of the Gmail help forums shows that this problem began in the past several days, and that there are dozens and dozens of people who have had their accounts deleted without warning. One is a senior who is now contemplating suicide because of the loss of their data. I didn't see anyone who had been successful in recovering their account, or who had heard back from Google at all.

The top contributors on the help forum (who can talk to Google employees) have stated they haven't heard anything back from Google about these deletions.

Fortunately, I didn't lose my primary account. Just in case they go further and delete it without warning, I've requested an archive link of all my Google account's data with Google Takeout. Hopefully my Gmail account stays intact so that I can get the link to it once it's ready.

It's probably a good idea to save your data in a secure place even if you don't think you're at risk here, because they're apparently doing this without rhyme, reason, or cause.

Edit: Google's terms of service haven't been changed recently, and none of the changes mention anything related to this issue.

a bunch of people in the reddit comments have had their accounts deleted too, including one guy's business account.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

a bunch of people in the reddit comments have had their accounts deleted too, including one guy's business account.

p much wouldn't even notice if they did this to me

Skarp
Sep 27, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

too many panda pics

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

oh poo poo, this happened to me too just the other day :pwn:

it was a really old account which i'd forgotten existed, so i assumed i had used it for, idk, cyberbullying or something and deserved to have it closed

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
i still have the old ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Skarp posted:

too many panda pics

it's only 1.4 gigs