Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Just wanted to say that after skipping season 2, I'm interested for this season if there's room!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
I'm interested again. I still owe a box to Jota from last season but I haven't been able to reach him.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Avenged posted:

I'm interested again. I still owe a box to Jota from last season but I haven't been able to reach him.

He's been pretty incommunicado. He still owes me a box as well, and I have been in very intermitten contact w/PMs. I'm hopeful that he's just been super busy.

On another note, I can't believe we're already closing in on the start of the 2016 season - 2.5 months!

Assuming we have enough folks interested again, I'd like to keep the league at 16 teams again this season. Mikey, I've got you first on the waiting list if anyone drops out.

Any other rule changes we want to look at this year? I want to change waivers to FAAB bidding, and we could look at doing TE premium, upping the PPR scoring or add return/kick yards to make things interesting.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Seems like adding return yards could theoretically help with a 16-team league as it could add some value to some players that otherwise would be barely be worth a roster spot.

FAAB always sounded interesting but I've never been in a league that did it.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
I'm all for keeping it generic, I think the base rules are pretty good. I've been in some "wild" leagues with huge bonuses for 50+ yd FGs and such and never enjoyed them as much. It introduces too much randomness in a already really random process.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
I agree I would rather lose because of injuries as the man upstairs intended.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks to Jota for an awesome box of beers. Tons of great local stuff from Philadelphia - will post a pic later of the haul, and definitely eager to start sampling!

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
I'd highly recommend FAAB. We did It in my other league last season and it was a revelation. So much better compared to the regular waiver system because it doesn't completely hamstring good teams looking for spot starts or stashes, and the hilarity of the free-agent economy is great for league-wide trash talk.

I was mostly happy with the scoring last year, but I think playing around with some things like return yards might be neat to give some guys some upside. Either way, I'm definitely in for this coming season. If I actually manage to move like I'm aiming to I'll be able to send new and exciting beers too!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I reactivated the league on ESPN, so everyone should have received an email.

I'm going to send a Commish email out asking everyone to reply via email to let me know if you are in or out for this year - please let me know as soon as possible so we can search for replacements.

I'd like to get the draft scheduled - as we only have about a month and a half until this crazy hobby of ours kicks off again.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks to those of you who got back to me! If you didn't yet get an email, let me know - but please check your inbox and spam folders to see if you got a 'A Message From a Member of Your ESPN Fantasy League' email.

In:
Cervixalot
Avenged
Baldrash
HatfullofHollow
Catfish Noodlin
Retemnav
Railrod Terror
dphi
Spacejung
Jota
Zam
Broom
umop apisdn

That leaves 3 of you who have yet to respond - please let me know ASAP if you are interested again.

Waiting List:
Mikey Purp

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 15, 2016

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
I'll give her another spin!

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I'm definitely interested.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

We currently have 13/16 owners back in for the 2016 season! I sent a final reminder to the league via email to reply and let me know your status, so if you are one of the 3 that hasn't replied to me yet, please do so as soon as you can.

If we don't have 16 locked and loaded by EOD next Thursday, I'll start recruiting in the FF thread for replacements, starting with Mikey Purp.

Once full, I'll start up a new thread and we'll start planning our draft!

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 15, 2016

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

There are still two owners who haven't yet gotten back to me, but I did hear from one owner who won't be able to join us this season. Mikey Purp, welcome aboard! That puts us at 14/16 league spots:

Cervixalot
Avenged
Baldrash
HatfullofHollow
Catfish Noodlin
Retemnav
Railrod Terror
dphi
Spacejung
Jota
Zam
Broom
umop apisdn
Mikey Purp

We have two spots available, so I'll do a cross post to the FF thread to see if we get any takers for the final two spots. Once we're full, it's new thread time!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I wouldn't be opposed to keeping it at 14 either

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

There are still two owners who haven't yet gotten back to me, but I did hear from one owner who won't be able to join us this season. Mikey Purp, welcome aboard! That puts us at 14/16 league spots:

Cervixalot
Avenged
Baldrash
HatfullofHollow
Catfish Noodlin
Retemnav
Railrod Terror
dphi
Spacejung
Jota
Zam
Broom
umop apisdn
Mikey Purp

We have two spots available, so I'll do a cross post to the FF thread to see if we get any takers for the final two spots. Once we're full, it's new thread time!

Hi all! Looks like I made the cut for this year's league. Super excited, I love craft beer and I love Fancy Football, especially deep leagues

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Wowsers, when I participated in this league in year 1 I think there were only 12 teams. I didn't know it had ballooned to 16 in year 2! I have never played in a league this big but would welcome the chance, although keeping it at 14 is cool by me too. Some thoughts on rules:

- FAAB is a godsend, fully on board with that change.
- Adding return yardage seems like a good idea to help deepen the pool a little bit without going too crazy with bonuses and whatnot. I like it.

Some other input:
- Does this league still do snake, or is it auction drafting? Auction seems like it would be a better choice for a league so large.
- Any IDP? Any interest in making it IDP?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Wowsers, when I participated in this league in year 1 I think there were only 12 teams. I didn't know it had ballooned to 16 in year 2! I have never played in a league this big but would welcome the chance, although keeping it at 14 is cool by me too. Some thoughts on rules:

- FAAB is a godsend, fully on board with that change.
- Adding return yardage seems like a good idea to help deepen the pool a little bit without going too crazy with bonuses and whatnot. I like it.

Some other input:
- Does this league still do snake, or is it auction drafting? Auction seems like it would be a better choice for a league so large.
- Any IDP? Any interest in making it IDP?

The plan for the draft is currently Snake (which is what we did last year), but we did discuss Auction as an option last year: most voted against it. I'd very much be open to revisiting the conversation again this year.

With the league having seen how deeper league drafts go, some folks might be more inclined to try the auction format, or at the very least use Kentucky Derby-style or http://betterfantasydraft.com/ as a means of selecting draft slot.

I'm personally indifferent to adding IDP, but I'm open to the discussion if a enough owners in the league wants to move in that direction.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I like auction. All of my other regular leagues have switched to that format. We should google hangout or goonchat or something, because it can get pretty hilarious.

I don't like IDP. I don't think scoring does a good job of reflecting performance: Shutdown corner blankets a guy all game, so he is never thrown to: 0 points.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Doesn't auction drafting take longer? Snake's long enough with 16 people, even with some autodrafting. Which brings up another question - can you autodraft in auction?

Auction drafting sounds fun with a group of friends at a bar or something, I don't have any experience with it to know how it works online.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

dphi posted:

Doesn't auction drafting take longer? Snake's long enough with 16 people, even with some autodrafting. Which brings up another question - can you autodraft in auction?

Auction drafting sounds fun with a group of friends at a bar or something, I don't have any experience with it to know how it works online.

Yeah it will take longer. like 2-3 hours.
Online you just click "bid" if you want to bid. You can set it up to autodraft by indicating the max you want to bid on each guy, but its much more likely to lead to disaster than autodrafting snake.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

In my experience auction doesn't take longer overall, it's just paced differently. The beauty of it for a league this large are that all drafters can be involved for the entire thing and everyone has an equal shot at each player.

With snake, the dudes drafting on either end of the turn are waiting for 32 picks to go by before they pick again. That makes for a loooong wait between picks. Also, the guys who pick 14th through 16th pretty much miss out on most of the tier 1 talent by design, which kind of sucks.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mikey Purp posted:

In my experience auction doesn't take longer overall

<Record scratches, then stops. Everyone in the bar turns their heads to look>

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I vote for whatever is easiest. I'm more here because of beer than I am fantasy football. All this talk of auctions and whatnot sounds complicated. I'm already terrible enough at drafting a competent team. I don't need any extra help in that regard.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I vote for whatever is easiest. I'm more here because of beer than I am fantasy football. All this talk of auctions and whatnot sounds complicated. I'm already terrible enough at drafting a competent team. I don't need any extra help in that regard.

That would definitely be snake draft.
I'm in love with auction, but if people are concerned with time and effort, snake draft is the clear winner

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

<Record scratches, then stops. Everyone in the bar turns their heads to look>

Did you read anything else I wrote, or was your knee too far into orbit by that point? But fine, you are right, an auction draft will take longer.

It will also be fairer and more engaging for all involved. I guess at the end of the day I'm fine with either way, but auction is not a hard concept and there are plenty of cheat sheets to give you a ballpark player value just like there are for ADP. The main difference is that everyone gets a fair shake at every player they want, which is more important to me than an extra hour or two of free time on draft night.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mikey Purp posted:

Did you read anything else I wrote, or was your knee too far into orbit by that point? But fine, you are right, an auction draft will take longer.

It will also be fairer and more engaging for all involved. I guess at the end of the day I'm fine with either way, but auction is not a hard concept and there are plenty of cheat sheets to give you a ballpark player value just like there are for ADP. The main difference is that everyone gets a fair shake at every player they want, which is more important to me than an extra hour or two of free time on draft night.

Hey you're preaching to the choir, here. I switched most of my leagues to auction 10 years ago and never looked back. But if other drafters are worried about time constraints or things being harder, I gotta be honest and say that yeah, both those things are factors. In my experience, it's well worth the investment: Get the guys you want without constrictions based on draft order. Anyone who is on the fence because of an extra half hour of drafting time or an extra huor of studying: Give us a chance to convince you. Switching from snake draft to auction was as big to me, in terms of entertainment, as switching from just watching football to playing fantasy football.

You make a good point about auction cheat sheets reducing most of the learning curve, though. I'm in a league with mostly FF writers and it feels like a noob rolls in every few years with a cheat sheet and wins.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 26, 2016

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
I'm good for whatever. I would totally support something new.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Count my vote "yes" for FAAB

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Yay for FAAB

Nay for IDP

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Room? I have 1 Heady Topper.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

5436 posted:

Room? I have 1 Heady Topper.

You have the last spot! Ill get the new thread going shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

New thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784563

Closing this one out

• Locked thread