Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Craft Beer and Fantasy Football nerds, shall we try this again?

This is the second iteration of the ISO: Beer League FT: Bolt Cutler Beer Trading Fantasy Football league, where the winners (and loser) receive boxes of local craft beer in the mail at the end of the season. We had a good mix of folks from across the country last year, and some really nice boxes put together by all.

Post in this thread if you're interested in participating again this year in the league. Last year's participants:

Cervixalot - In
Retamnav - In
Swickles
Catfish Noodlin - In
Quantrill
Avenged - In
dphi - In
Zam - In
Broom - In
umop apisdn
Mikey Purp
Trouzorz

Congrats again to last year's winners!
umop apisdn - 6 boxes (1st place)
Mikey Purp - 4 boxes (2nd place + highest season point total)
Retemnav - 1 box (3rd place)
Catfish Noodlin - 1 box (Loser's bracket winner)

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I want to play. Also fix your link in the beer thread.

Link should be fixed, good catch.

I want to give everyone who played last year the chance to sign up again, but I'm also open to expanding to more teams this year if there's enough interest (seems like there is!).

We did a pretty basic format last year 16 roster spots, QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLX/DST/K with .5PPR, but are't married to that setup.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So there's at least 7 people from last year's league in, and I want to give the rest of last year's crew a chance to re-up this year. I sent a league email out, and will update in a couple of days once everyone has had a chance to RSVP.

We can either fill up any empty spots and expand our roster to up to 16 teams to get as many people involved as possible, or fill up a second league if there's enough interest:

Here's the current list of interested participants (13):

Last year's participants:
Cervixalot
Catfish Noodlin
dphi
Avenged
Retamnav
Zam
broom

New Participants:
Beer
Jota
HatfulofHollow
railroad terror
Wolfy
Prophecy120

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Hi Guys - just got back from a week of work travel, so sorry for the delay in reply.

I cross-posted the initial proposal to the GWS craft beer thread and the general fantasy thread, and emailed all of last year's league members with a request to login and express interest. I gave everybody plenty of time to reply, and we have a number of returning league members from last year and a batch of newcomers who expressed interest. Here is the full list:

Cervixalot
Retamnav
Catfish Noodlin
Avenged
dphi
Zam
Broom
Beer4theBeerGod
Jota
HatfullofHollow
railroad terror
Wolfy
Prophecy120
Baldrash

Based on this list, we should be able to accomodate everyone into a 14 team league - expanding from last year's 12 teams. There are three people I never heard back from who partook in last year's league, so the first two to get back to me in the next couple of days can still join and we can up it to 16 teams and call it a day.

Before we lock down a date for the draft and finalize the ruleset, I wanted to see if anyone had any interest in stepping up to take on the commissioner's mantle (or just act as a co-commissioner) this year? It's not a ton of work to coordinate (mostly just helping to shape the ruleset by posting in the forums, find a draft date/format and arrange logistics for the box mailing at the end of the year), but I have had an extremely busy month at work (with more travel on the horizon), so I want to make sure I'm not holding us back in getting everything set up and coordinated. Let me know - if not, I will do what I can to get everything rolling so we can have a blast with the league this year.

Everything from last year is already set in the ESPN league. If your name is on the above list and you didn't participate, please PM me your email account associated with an ESPN fantasy account. Those folks are:

Beer4theBeerGod
Jota
HatfullofHollow
railroad terror
wolfy
Prophecy120
Baldrash

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Sorry to see you go Beer, but understand the problem of league scope creep.

Last year's league champ umop apisdu emailed me and wanted back in, so I added him to the list in beer's spot. We have two more teams waiting to get in, and so long as all are comfortable with a 16 team league (consider this - more beer boxes to go around), we should be good to go. I will invite everyone who has PM'd me info to the league, and if you haven't already, please PM me your ESPN email address.

Participants:
Cervixalot
Catfish Noodlin
dphi
Avenged
Retamnav
Zam
broom
umop apisdu
Jota
HatfulofHollow
railroad terror
Wolfy
Prophecy120
Baldrash
cheese

Edit: Sorry, I missed that 89 raised his hand before TubeStank. 89, still interested in joining? If not, the spot is TubeStank's. Let me know.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Invites sent to HatfulofHollow, railroad terror, Prophecy120 and Baldrash.

Still need Wolfy's info, cheese's info, and whoever ends up being our last member out of 89 and TubeStank.

The other key part of this last year, was that we stipulated that every member of the league had taken part in a BIF, beer trade or been vouched for by another goon who had. Do we want to look at a similar concept this year? I think either this, or a Toxx clause or something should help keep people honest. We had a goon join one of the BIFs who welched on his end of the deal which burned some folks.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks for coordinating dates, dphi - much appreciate the help. I can be free pretty much any weeknight next week, preferably around the 7:00 CT timeframe, but can do earlier with enough notice.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So 89 is out, which means TubeSteak is the next man up. Assuming everyone who volunteered is still in, we've got our 16. Let me know ASAP if you do not want to participate.

If you haven't already, please PM me your ESPN email account so I can invite you to the league.

Post your availability for next two weeks in the evening if you haven't already, so we can lock down a draft date sooner rather than later.

While I'm generally an auction fan, I'm cool with doing a snake draft unless there are any major objections.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

TubeStank posted:

Hey cool! I'll pm my email to you. I can do most weeknights after 8 (super erratic work schedule means I rarely leave at 5 pm). Weekends I can do pretty much whenever other than this upcoming weekend.

Timezone? Also, invite sent.

A few of you are taking over slots from departed league members from last year, so feel free to rename the team or whatever.

Just waiting on email addresses from Wolfy and Cheese - send them my way and I'll send you an invite.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

TubeStank posted:

Central. If anyone else is in chicago lemme know so we don't have too much beer overlap. Good probability I can include some Wisconsin stuff too.

Both me and umop asidn are also from Chicago, but plenty of beer to go around :)

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

It's looking like these are the potential dates where everyone is available: 8/24, 8/26, 9/2, 9/7 or 9/9 at 6PM PST

Do any of those dates not work for anyone? Does anyone have a preference either way?

8/24 and 8/26 are best for me due to work travel conflicts the other days.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Hey guys, sorry about my lack of replying - have had family in town all weekend and other than scooping up Ty Montgomery/Jeff Janis off waivers in my dynasty league, I haven't been able to do much fantasy football planning-wise until now.

I am still waiting on Cheese's info before I can send him an invite to the league, but I just followed up with him via PM to try and get it. I also sent out a league reminder that the draft is planned for tonight at 6 PST. Check your spam inbox and make sure to whitelist ESPN to avoid missing future emails.

If we have more than 1 or 2 people missing/unable to make it, might be worth looking at postponing (and I can try and change my schedule up to be more available).

Let's stick with last year's settings (barring any major objections) which were as follows:

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
TE
RB/WR/TE
D/ST
K
7 Bench slots

.5 PPR, 4 PaT. Check out defense settings on the league settings page. Will kill trades around week 11, and the only thing I'd recommend changing is removing waiver priorities and going $100 FAAB. For those who haven't done Free Agent Auction Budget before, you place silent bids on players each week and the winner claims them. I believe we can set it to look at reverse standings for tie breaking.

Any other must have/change settings?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

For draft order, last year we did a convoluted process where everyone posted the beer they'd be drinking that evening, and we had the GWS mod (Bartolimu) order them based on a set of criteria we agreed upon selected from a random list, I think it was most crushable summer beers?

I'd suggest we do something more simple this year, whether it be randomized order or something to do with beer, open to suggestions.

Also, we currently have this scheduled as a Snake Draft, but I'm open to feedback about making it auction instead if folks would prefer that.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Basically, players get locked once their weekly game starts and cannot be claimed until the full week of games has completed and bids have been tallied. On Tuesday, we'd open up FAAB Blind Bidding, and at 3:00 AM Wednesday (which I believe is ESPN's Waiver Processing time), the highest bid on each player wins and the requests are processed.

After that, all unowned players are open as free agents and can be added for no cost until their game starts the following week, when the process then begins again.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Quick overview of how the process works for newcomers to the league.

Everyone in the league should post a toxx in this thread as a safeguard against cheating the system and not shipping beer, so go ahead and do that.

At the end of the year, the 1st-3rd place winners, plus the regular season points winner, will be shipped boxes of beer from varying numbers of league participants. Winners will post their location in the thread, and we'll work to identify who sends their box where based on how beer distribution matches up. So for instance, I live in Chicago, but if I won, would prefer to receive beer from Goons not in the Chicago area, so we'd try to line it up to get out of market beers to the winners more often than not so people can try as much new/different beer as possible.

Each league participant is responsible for putting together a box containing around $50 of beer, and shipping within a reasonable time (let's say 2-3 weeks) of the season ending to their assigned recipient. We'll be flexible on shipping timing in case of freezing temperatures. We'll also post some guidelines/tips on how to ship for first-time shippers.

Everyone should strive to put together a mix of beer that is either only available local to where you live, or is otherwise unique or interesting. Bombers, cans, bottles and even growlers are fair game. Try to compile a mix of different breweries and styles. If you're going to be packing IPAs or anything hoppy - hold off on buying until shortly before shipping to ensure freshness.

We can also get beer preferences from the winners, or at least figure out what styles they hate, to help better guide the box you put together.

There are a bunch of people who are much more knowledgable than I am about both beer and trading, who can help provide some guidance and tips too.

Edit:

I am :toxx:-ing myself to not be a scumbag and to deliver on my promise of shipping a box of beer to one of the winners of this Fantasy Football league, or else face eternal shame and banning from SA.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Just to clarify (and apologies if I didn't explain this well) - everyone will purchase and ship beer regardless of winning or losing, but to the victor go the spoils.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Prophecy120 posted:

ESPN is showing the draft orders 1-16... is this correct? I thought the order was determined an hour beforehand.

I'll set it to randomize, I had it set to 'Commissioner manually chooses' but random number generator is probably best.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think we've heard from everybody yet re:draft time, so we may want to be prepared with a second backup date if we get a bunch of no-shows. Is Wednesday 8/26 good for everyone, just in case?

I would hate for anyone to have to autodraft, especially since this came together late.

For now, let's plan to log on for the draft and see how many people we are able to get.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

It looks like we have 14 people confirmed to draft tonight! I sent a PM and email to see if the last remaining person can make it as well. I will be jumping into the draft room around 7:30 to hang out and start drinking what sounds like an interesting beer, so if anyone wants to shoot the poo poo about rules/setup/what beer they are drinking, will see ya there.

Cheese decided to drop out, so we have one open spot. I may try cross-posting to the beer and fantasy threads to see if we can get a last minute final addition, but if not, we may need to autodraft and find an owner later.

Edit: 15 confirmed for tonight. Looking forward to it! Posted ads in two threads, hopefully we'll get one more.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 25, 2015

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Catfish Noodlin posted:

How do we get in said chat room? I only used ESPN last year, and I had a bit of an issue in re: to getting in the room and it working properly on my phone using lovely stadium WIFI.

I believe if you're on desktop, it should pop up in the draft window once it goes live. Not sure if the chat works on mobile, but will check it out.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Sweet. That's all 16 teams. Thanks everyone for making this work with your schedules, and I'll see you in the draft room in a little while.

16 teams is going to be interesting, only ever done 12 teamers before.

Edit:

I was 'Stone Enjoy Bye Week' last year, but this year, Daisy Cutler.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 25, 2015

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Good times all - thanks to everyone for being available on short notice, and for all the help in coordinating.

Sorry for whoever ended up with Jordy.

Lol at Hatful's Eagles roster, love it.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 25, 2015

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I will defend picking Foster in the Fourth to the death. Could be back as early as Week 3/4, and will be a top 5 RB from then on. And when Duke Johnson blows up, y'all will be knocking at my door for RB talent.

Fun times last night.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I'm trying to edit the Waiver settings to be FAAB - but they seem to be locked for some reason. Anyone experienced this with ESPN before?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So since waivers have already opened (was hoping to figure out the FAAB system first), we can just leave it as is, unless any major objections. Once you use your waiver, you move to last on the priority list.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

gently caress. Did i make it so kickers get negative points for a miss? Welp, at least i'' the one getting hosed by that mistake.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

railroad terror posted:

Whoever owns Dalton, I'm interested in him. MAKE AN OFFER

That's me. Let me take a look!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

This has been fun so far (other than getting crushed by the Arizona D this week). 16 team is definitely much more challenging, makes waivers and trades super interesting.

Sorry to whoever sent me a trade offer last week and I declined without a reply- I hate when that happens, and I was on my phone when I rejected the offer.

Everything league setting-wise working for everyone so far?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

TubeStank posted:

poo poo is gonna get real silly with bye weeks coming up

That didn't even occur to me. I'm hosed weeks 5 and 9.

Week 5 Byes:
ADP
JStew (not that he's done poo poo anyways)
Jets D

Week 9 Byes:
Hopkins
John Brown

Gonna have to start me some DGB/Dorsett/Duke Johnson... Hurray!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

railroad terror posted:

Goddamnit, drafting only Bridgewater as my QB is really starting to bite me. Guess I'll pick up.....BLAKE BORTLES?!?!? :derp: :captainpop:

I tried to PM you, but no bueno. Sent you an email via ESPN's mail system instead. Hit me back.

Good luck to everyone during bye week hell!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

railroad terror posted:

Lewis is almost too valuable to give up with my RBs. Hopkins instead of Robinson? Let me think about it.

Cool, take your time. I shot you an email via the ESPN system - let me know if you did not receive and I can try again.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Gonna lose in two leagues thanks to Hauschka. gently caress kickers

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Crazy week. Depending on how things go after tonight, we may or may not have any undefeated teams left.

Good luck to everyone who has players playing this evening!

On an administrative note, now is probably a good time to clarify and finalize the box distribution, playoff schedule/details and confirm that everyone has submitted a Toxx (I know there were a few that had not yet posted theirs). If you haven't posted a Toxx yet (or can't remember), go ahead and post it now so I don't have to name 'n shame.

I'll do an effortpost with the full playoff/payout details this week, and we'll take a poll on where everyone is from so we can see what kind of distribution spread we're looking at.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I'm 1-4 now. At this point there's no point in continuing to pay attention to this right? Is there any incentive to keep playing?

There is no giving up! Keep fighting. The winner of the 'Loser's Bracket' gets a box of beer, so even if you don't make the playoffs, you still have a chance at winning some awesome beer.

Since the Waiver Wire is so thin in a 16-team league (though there are still some decent pickups available), now's the time to start talking trades with league mates. Use this thread to post your ISO and FT fantasy posts, or individually email owners through viewing their team page and sending them an email via ESPN's interface.

I'll kick things off:

FT: One of my QBs, Rivers or Dalton
ISO: A WR2. I'd package a QB with another player (WR or RB, depending) to make this happen.

Hit me up - Daisy Cutler

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Retemnav posted:

Yea, tough call. JStew is probably the better back, but they love running Cam at the goaline. Good luck whichever way you go!

Oof. Went Brown and it looks like Stew would've netted me a win. At least I have something to root for tomorrow, here's hoping Brown suits up.

Edit: somehow my original post got eaten

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 26, 2015

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So since we're approaching playoff season, I thought it would be a good time to quickly review the rules/payout structure for the league.

Here's how we had it go last year, with 12 teams:

Winner: 6 Boxes of Beer
2nd Place: 3 Boxes of Beer
3rd Place: 1 Box of Beer
Highest Regular Season Point Total: 1 Box of Beer
Winner of the Loser's Bracket: 1 Box of Beer

Since we expanded and now have four more teams, here's what I propose we do:

Winner: 8 Boxes of Beer
2nd Place: 4 Boxes of Beer
3rd Place: 1 Box of Beer
Highest Regular Season Point Total: 1 Box of Beer
Winner of the Loser's Bracket: 2 Boxes of Beer

What do you all think? I wanted to up the prize for winning and create an extra incentive for those who don't make the playoffs. Another option would be to remove a box from the 1st or 2nd place winner and put together another incentive for the loser's bracket (up to 3, award one consolation box to the dead last player).Thoughts?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Trade deadline is approaching... One week from today. Get all of your trade offers out there before it is too late.

My FT list:
Philip Rivers
Duke Johnson

Open to moving other RBs and WRs in a package deal. Hit me up (Daisy Cutler).

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Avenged posted:

Cervix, that was pretty effing lucky, oh my god.

I really thought I took first place this week.

Got very lucky there at the end, sorry umop episdn :(

I felt pretty good coming into last night down 30ish with Dalton, Hopkins and Eifert, but wow, what a terrible MNF game (minus Hopkins' catch) all around.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

dphi posted:

Yeah, I was looking through the scores and couldn't believe you only won by .1 - better hope for no stat corrections!

Here's hoping. Last week I lost in a different league by .4 and was stat corrected to a .6 loss by Mike Evans, and earlier this season in another league I lost by .1 to the same guy. This truly is a game of inches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Friendly reminder: trade deadline is tomorrow at 12:00 EST. Get it done.

• Locked thread