Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I saw this truck on craigslist last night and bought it for $500. The sellers were a nice middle-aged couple who had taken the truck from the woman's 91 year old father when he decided he shouldn't drive anymore. They had the truck for about a year, and used it to haul stuff for some landscaping in their back yard. They didn't want to mess with the small issues the truck has, so now it is mine.

This 1993 Toyota Pickup comes from a time when trucks were trucks. This thing is free from all luxury amenities besides air conditioning. It has 217k miles on the 22RE 2.4L four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission.

Manual steering, manual transmission, manual windows, manual locks, manual mirrors. I think the only wires going into the doors are for the speakers. There is a very old tape deck, but the detachable face is long gone, so there might as well be zero wires going into the doors. There is a valet button and an LED for an alarm, but no key fob.

The truck loses coolant pretty quickly, and the truck pulls to one side when braking. The AC may or may not work, I didn't want to try it with the compromised cooling system. Other than that, the truck is in great shape. The frame is solid, and the body has very little rust. The tires are in good shape.

I have not yet decided what to do with it. My wife has made it pretty clear that I have to sell my 1995 Integra if I want to keep this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's a good truck, yep.

Is that the coolant puddle in the photos? Sometimes the radiator drain valves get brittle and crack, leaving to coolant draining out on the ground in about that spot.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

:swoon:

Love it. Nothing to add, just really jealous.

Good luck w/ that coolant leak--hope it's something simple and not an external HG issue.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I want a Toyota diesel pickup of that vintage

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You could put another zero on the end of that price where I'm from, I'm not even kidding.

That thing is gorgeous and it deserves to have whatever trivial one-hour problems it has worked out.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

CommieGIR posted:

When (if?) my 00 4Runner dies I'm going to try to convince my wife to let me buy one of the numerous imported turbodiesel LJ73s (13B-T :swoon:) that keep popping up here in the southeast.

I'm not sure she'll go for it, but its worth a shot.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

PBCrunch posted:

My wife has made it pretty clear that I have to sell my 1995 Integra if I want to keep this thing.

Part out the Integra while swapping that B18 (?) into the truck :getin:
That's almost exactly the same story as my brother's '81, except that it came from within our extended family. Still pissed at him for selling it off, it was a wonderful truck.

Fake edit: there's a Soarer/SC in the background that would be a much better powertrain donor than the 'tegra

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 22, 2015

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Tommychu posted:

Fake edit: there's a Soarer/SC in the background that would be a much better powertrain donor than the 'tegra
The SC400 is mine. I've had it for eight years, and have no plans to part ways with it. The only way I would ever sell it is if I got a different completely impractical V8 coupe like a modern GTO, Corvette, Mustang or something like that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1UZs do in fact fill out the engine bays in these trucks quite nicely.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

PBCrunch posted:

The SC400 is mine. I've had it for eight years, and have no plans to part ways with it. The only way I would ever sell it is if I got a different completely impractical V8 coupe like a modern GTO, Corvette, Mustang or something like that.

In that case, 'sup SC400 buddy :respek:
But IIRC you need the LS400 oil pan and headers to 1UZ a truck anyway, so you could always tear one of those apart. Or leave it as is, because it's an awesome truck no matter what.
First things first though, air up that LF tire.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 22, 2015

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

CommieGIR posted:

JDM diesel Hilux's are rare as poo poo, they go for $20-30k and still get snatched up immediately.

http://www.outbackimports.ca/sale.html

I would love to have one and never get another daily driver again.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 22, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That interior is clean as gently caress.

I love cheap trucks. I have a 2000 Mazda B2500 (read: Ford Ranger) that I picked up for $800 last year. Nothing really wrong with it apart from rust in places and some poor tires. Similarly no frills - manual transmission, windows, locks, mirrors, no cruise, no A/C, no rear defroster or even pass-thru like you see sometimes. It does have an aftermarket CD player though.

You should get rid of your wife and keep the truck and the Integra. Beater trucks are the best and come in super-handy, especially when browsing craigslist for stuff.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Congrats, you just bought the most reliable and easy to work on vehicle ever made!

I've got a '94 that is just like it but blue and doesn't even have A/C.

Watch the fuel gauge, there is no low indicator so it is easy to think you still have a gallon or two when it's dry.

If the engine sounds like it has a machine gun inside the timing chain tensioner is gone and the chain is wearing through the front housing coolant passages. It's common around 200k and not a big deal to fix with basic tools and about 8 hours in the garage. I think it was $225ish for all the parts and a few extra wear items I did at the same time. The big worry is that if you wait you get coolant in the oil.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

JDM diesel Hilux's are rare as poo poo, they go for $20-30k and still get snatched up immediately.

Which is weird since the diesel is no more reliable and a bit of a pain maintenance wise. Not to mention hard to find parts for this side of the Pacific.

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 22, 2015

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Hey minitruck buddy. Mine was $500 and I did a headgasket a couple months after buying it. Just replaced the gas tank recently.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I Love It! Old Japanese pick ups are the best. I had a beat to poo poo mazda b2000 from the early ninties that was the bees loving knees. Dead reliable.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
PBCrunch, I missed your flip thread. Please wrench/post more.

Also, awesome truck. Every truck thread around here makes me want a cheap truck, and then I realize that there's no such thing in Scandinavia, and even if I found one, it'd be rusted to pieces and cost an arm and a leg in road tax.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That is a seriously cool little truck. Great find!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5137089745.html.

1982 Toyota Diesel Long Bed Pickup. $2600

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Sup Toyota buddy, where are you in the states that you can get $500 rust free Toyotas! Hg honesty isn't that bad plus once you do that and the timing chain you have the piece of mind that you could drive to the moon and back, you just bought a Taliban humvee.

For scale:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I am in Omaha, Nebraska. My friend just bought a 1980 Toyota pickup 2WD with a 20R and manual transmission; his truck isn't rust free, but it is remarkably complete for such an old Japanese vehicle in the Midwest. I'll get some pictures of it within the next couple of days.

I borrowed a pressure tester from Advance Auto; as soon as I started pumping, water started spraying out of the radiator. I picked up a new radiator, water pump, and thermostat but I ran out of time to work on it.

I have been cleaning up the wiring in my garage. I've had a bunch of fluorescent lights chained to the ceiling for years, but they have been connected to plug adapters screwed into the existing wiring. I installed a couple of ceiling fans and have installed outlets on the ceiling and the walls on the sides of the garage.

Everyone I know that is into cars that I have told about this truck have offered to buy it from me. I am leaning heavily to keeping it and selling my Integra.

I am a huge man (6'4" and fat), and the truck is a little snug. The truck has no airbag, so I think I can pick up a little elbow and knee room by getting a small diameter steering wheel and some bucket seats bolted onto the floor without rails. What are the go-to seats for swaps into this truck? I don't think buckets from a Toyota pickup are an option.

Just out of curiosity, what is the "easy" motor swap for one of these trucks? 1UZFE would be awesome, but I know it requires a custom bell housing and some other expensive goodies. Are there any Camry (or other) motors that bolt in easy peasy?

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
The 3vz-e v6 that was offered in the truck is widely considered worthless with headgasket issues and not much power considering it's size and fuel consumption. The later 3vz-fe from the Camry is better and the later 5vz-fe with a trd supercharger is the logical conclusion. The a 1uz is probably the best swap but more complicated, still well documented though.

None of the options are worth it though unless you have a specific plan in mind. It has the best engine for what it is, a simple reliable junk hauler that you can lend out without worrying.

It is worth knowing that yours with the 2wd and short wheel base is the best starting point if you want to do a solid axle swap without lifting it sky-high and make a really competent off-roader.

edit: As far as seat, you may be stuck. I'm 6' and ride with the seat all the way back. It's a pretty thin seat already, in your case it is too bad it wasn't an extended cab.

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 24, 2015

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

The 1980 pickup my friend just bought (and subsequently lowered and put some spare wheels on).

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
3 main choices down here for engine swaps:
- 1UZ
- SR20DET
- 13B :getin:

Have at it!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Moon mileage time :hellyeah:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

A 7M will bolt right up, only things you have to worry about are electrical, rad clearance and head bolt torque (ARPs are cheap).

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

1kz-te slips right in there like it belongs, and you only need the front half a KZN130 surf as a halfcut to get all the bits you need to make it work.

My old 1992 Hilux dual cab 4wd is STILL going at 460,000kms (230K on the new engine)

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
A guy at work who has a similar truck says a small block ford swap is common and easy, so that's a thought.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

When I was owned by Uncle Sam, I was stationed in Japan and we had those exact trucks with diesels in them to tool around in around base.

There was a shifter on the tree and they were horrible to drive, all torque and no top end whatsoever, I would take a gasser over one all day long.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
PBCrunch your last thread was one of my favorites. Awesome truck wish they stayed that nice around the rustbelt.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

http://www.outbackimports.ca/sale.html

I would love to have one and never get another daily driver again.

Holy heck, I now know what I need to do with all the diesel Hiluxes in Australia

EDIT: and Nissan Patrols

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I finished my garage wiring project on Saturday. The fluorescent lights have been in place for years, but the wiring was janky extension cords plugged into those little adapters that give you two power outlets from a light bulb socket. I installed two flush mount ceiling fans, PVC conduit, and outlet boxes on the ceiling and on the side walls of the garage. Before this project, the only electrical outlets in the garage were on the wall separating the garage from my family room. It took me twenty stops to the hardware store, but I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I absolutely HATE putting those screw-type ceiling fan mounts into the ceiling. The old lights were installed with plastic electrical boxes, and you can't hang fans from them.

One of the ceiling fans with conduit sprouting from its base:

The lights on the other side of the garage:

One of the outlets I installed, plus my existing pegboard:

Another electrical outlet. This one is right next to the shelf that holds my shop vac, so now I can use the vacuum without dragging an extension cord out for it.

Some conduit over the garage door. These lights are blocked by the garage door when it is open, so they are pretty much for winter use only.

More conduit and a four gang box. This one is right by the door so I can plug in battery chargers for derelict vehicles parked outside.

With that out of the way, I worked on my Jeep on Sunday. I installed LED lights in the instrument cluster. This is kind of a pain in the rear end because LEDs are polar. You have to make notes about what bulbs light up different parts of the cluster, then get the lights to activate to find out if they work or not. I did some re-engineering of my driver's floor mat retainer. The big project of the day was removing the wiring harness that goes into the front passenger door, and splicing in fresh wire in the section that flexes when the door opens. I had an intermittent issue with getting the front passenger window to go up. There are NINETEEN WIRES in the passenger door boot. Why?!?! I didn't notice any that were obviously cracked, but I had the harness out, so I "repaired" the wiring harness. I also opened up the passenger window switch and re-flowed a couple of cold solder joints. Unfortunately, no pictures of any of this.

Today, after much delay, I worked on the Toyota. I got a new radiator, rad cap, water pump, thermostat, and new hoses. Everything went pretty smoothly except the lower hose. The clamp on the radiator didn't want to come off, so I had to cut the old hose in half.

New radiator:

New water pump, barely visible:

With that stuff done, I took a look at the low LF tire mentioned by TommyChu. As soon as I touched the valve stem, the tire went from low to totally flat. :(

The spare tire actually came down via its little elevator mechanism under the bed. The spare tire looks like it might be original from 1993.

I put the spare on the LF front corner, and I was able to figure out why the truck pulls when braking; the LF caliper is locked up tight. I cannot get the wheel to rotate when the truck is jacked up. The pad is wiped and the rotor is super skinny. I am having some trouble finding calipers in town. Internet sleuthing indicates that the somewhat larger 2WD V6 calipers can be used for a slight upgrade.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Neither the "correct" set of calipers for this truck, nor the larger 2WD V6 calipers are available in Omaha. I ordered them from Advance Auto's website last night. Everything shipped today, EXCEPT the driver side caliper. Curses!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Did you try a stealership? Toyota is pretty good about keeping older stuff at least available, and often the prices are shockingly good for a dealer.
And equally often they're NLA/Yak freight from a warehouse high in the Himalayas/500% what they should cost, but it's usually worth the phone call at least.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm have a bunch of demo/remodel/landscaping projects to do once I close on my first house in two weeks and in wondering if I should buy a light truck like this. It'd be a lot handier than waiting in the rental line at Home Depot, but it'd be a fourth vehicle to maintain, and they're priced pretty high around here if you want one with straight lines and minimal rust.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

blk posted:

I'm have a bunch of demo/remodel/landscaping projects to do once I close on my first house in two weeks and in wondering if I should buy a light truck like this. It'd be a lot handier than waiting in the rental line at Home Depot, but it'd be a fourth vehicle to maintain, and they're priced pretty high around here if you want one with straight lines and minimal rust.

The other option (depending on what you currently own) is to get a small landscaping trailer one of your current vehicles can tow. They can be just as handy if not handier (albeit less convenient in some ways), and a whole lot cheaper than a whole new vehicle.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Another PBCrunch thread! :neckbeard:

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
After having my '95 2WD Tacoma for a million years with 240k on the clock, I honestly don't think I could stand not to have a simple, plain, small truck as a vehicle; their versatility is understated.

I'd love to have an extended cab version for the wee bit more room in the cab, though.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

PBCrunch posted:

Impractical?! You can fit 8 wheels in one, thank you very much!

Edit: Put a 1UZ in the truck.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 30, 2015

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

All the brake stuff except the pads should be here this afternoon. I could not figure out any way to identify which pads should work with the calipers that are coming. There are four different calipers for 1993 Toyota Pickup:

17S single small piston (the old ones from this truck), 2WD 22RE with normal bed
18Q single large piston (the ones that are coming), 2WD 3VZE
Aisin single x-large piston, used on the UHaul/camper trucks, requires a bunch of work and more parts
4WD four piston, requires a bunch of work and more parts

Once I fix the brakes, I have to do something about wheels. The tires that came with the truck are in terrible shape.

I have some 16" 5x114.3 wheels and tires from a 1997 Prelude, but the centers are too small. I found a set of 16" 5x114.3 wheels from a Grand Cherokee (ZJ) for super cheap, but the centers are too big. My big idea is to 3D print a centering ring using a file from Thingiverse to take up the slack. I hope I can put the smaller outside diameter tires from the Honda wheels onto the ZJ wheels and have decent rubber on decent wheels. I tried one of the wheels from my XJ Cherokee on the truck, and the offset looks about right. If it all works I can get a set of new hub rings from ebay or Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

No pics, but I did get the new brakes put on the truck. I encountered some trouble. I couldn't get the front passenger wheel off, so I had to remove the spindle nut and the brake caliper bolts and remove the wheel/hub/rotor/caliper assembly together. I took it over to my friend's shop and separated the wheel there.

The old tires were terrible, so I put a different set of front wheels on the truck (with 1" spacers):

The tire size isn't right, but it is better than rolling on dry rotten tires.

I beat the poo poo out of the hub trying to free the wheel. In the process, the hub snout is a bit out of round, and I had a terrible time getting the dust cap back on.

In other news, I need a new battery for my Lexus. Are there any advantaged to getting the battery at Costco? I'd have to get my sister involved, since I don't have a Costco membership.

• Locked thread