Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

One Piece: Treasure Cruise
Available for: iOS and Android devices in English, French and Japanese

Form your own pirate crew and set sail for adventure!
Use the simple tap controls to pull off powerful combos!
The world of One Piece awaits you!

- An All-New Battle System Made Just for Your Smartphone!
ONE PIECE TREASURE CRUISE features intuitive tap controls that’ll have you sending foes flying in no time! Tap your characters at the right time to form combos and deal massive damage! What’s more, each character possesses unique special abilities that make battles even more exciting! Re-enact thrilling showdowns from the original story using your favorite One Piece characters!

- Relive Your Favorite Moments from the One Piece Storyline!
The tale begins in Fushia Village, where a young Luffy has his fateful encounter with Red-Haired Shanks. With each Quest you complete, another chapter of the epic tale unfolds, allowing you to experience the magnificent story of One Piece all over again!

- Form a Crew with Your Favorite One Piece Characters!
Collect WANTED posters in battle and head to the Tavern to recruit new characters for your crew! There are tons of recruits available, including both major and supporting characters! Gather your favorite pirates and train them to become the mightiest crew to ever sail the seas!

- Perform “Tandem” Attacks to Deal Huge Damage!
Chain together attacks with certain characters in a specific order to perform a Tandem attack that deals incredible damage to all enemies!

Questions
Q: How does the game play?
A: The closest analog I can think of is the Super Mario RPG series - you pick a character to attack with and time a tap with their animation to maximize damage. You can attack with all six of your characters per turn, with multipliers affecting how much damage each subsequent character does. Each character has a base element that trumps another element (think Pokemon) and a special move that is charged over time.

Q: How much grind/F2P bullshit is there?
A: Most of the game's best units can be farmed and aren't locked behind paywalls. You earn 1 unit of in-game currency (gems) per day, plus ~10 per Grand Line island you complete. Rolling for Premium characters costs 5 gems, and there's a rate-up event once per month that increases the odds of rolling a rare premium character. As with most F2P games, playtime is limited by a stamina meter that is spent on missions - the higher the mission rank, the more stamina spent at once. ***99% OF THE TIME, DONT SPEND YOUR PREMIUM CURRENCY REFILLING THIS METER***

Q: How much of One Piece's story is covered?
A: The Worldwide version of the game is currently on the first half of the Alabasta arc and the Japanese version is at Water-7. However, it's possible to acquire characters from any part of the manga/anime that happened before the timeskip (including stuff like Strong World Luffy and Fat Usopp).

Q: Will I understand what's going on if I don't follow One Piece?
A: The game does a pretty decent job of telling OP's story through animated manga panels that are shown before each level in the story mode. However, the unlockable character roster is chock-full of spoilers.

Beginner tips
- If you collect a named character (i.e. not a pirate/marine goon), use the 'Favourite' function to prevent them from being sold/used as a power-up.
- Over the course of the story mode, you'll unlock Luffy, Zoro, Usopp, Nami, Sanji and Chopper. Don't get rid of any of them!
- Use turtles, skill books and nameless goons to power up your characters. Feed duplicates of named characters to themselves for an XP boost and chance at an improved Special attack.
- Build your teams around your Captain's ability - for example, Luffy gives a x2 multiplier to Strength-element units. Use him as the captain of an all-STR team for big damage!
- After unlocking Usopp, don't evolve him into Sogeking - check the Wiki and find out how to evolve him into Golden Hammer Usopp (known as God Usopp to TC fans) - one of the game's most powerful units.
- After unlocking Nami, don't evolve her into Thunderbolt Tempo Nami - choose Mirage Tempo Nami instead. Not quite GH Usopp, but still a useful unit.
- At first, use your Gems to unlock more space in your character box. Otherwise, save them for SUGOFEST, which is a once-a-month event where it becomes easier to roll (known as Rare Recruit in-game) for premium characters.

I want to keep re-rolling until I get good beginner characters - who's worth it?
- Balloon Luffy / Gear 3rd Luffy
- Shanks
- Arlong
- Stream Wolf Zoro / Lion's Song Zoro
- Alabasta Tempo Nami / Towel Nami
- Nico Robin
- Any of the 9 Supernovas (Killer, Law, Kidd, etc.)
- Any of the Whitebeard Commanders (Ace, Marco, Vista, Blamenco, etc.)
- Silvers Rayleigh (only available on SUGOFEST day)
- Whitebeard (only available on SUGOFEST day)

NOTE: You by no means have to keep re-rolling characters at the start until you get 'good' ones, the game is perfectly playable without :spergin:

Useful links:
Global Wiki - http://onepiecetreasurecruiseglobal.wikia.com/wiki/One_Piece_Treasure_Cruise_Wiki
One Piece Treasure Cruise WIkia - http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/One_Piece_Treasure_Cruise
Treasure Cruise subreddit - http://reddit.com/r/onepiecetc

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

This poo poo is loving awful.
They're fun time-wasters when you're on the bus/toilet/dentist waiting room :shobon:

OPTC is honestly more fun than most licensed console One Piece games too

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Kegslayer posted:

I've noticed this with OPTC as well. I'm happy to spend a couple of bucks on the game but the drop rates are so low, even during rate up events, that it's not paying real money to roll. There's also not much you can do with the gems/jewels so there's little incentive to buy anything at all.
I'm not down for digging through NeoGAF's OPTC megathread atm but there was infamously a meltdown by someone who dropped $500 trying to roll a Whitebeard when he first became available