Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omeg
Sep 3, 2012

It's alive! :science:

Evolutionary algorithms are fun. My master's in CS was about self-emergence in "evolving" code. You start with a made-up virtual CPU capable of running made-up assembly code. Seed the memory with random data or hand-made "ancestor code". Apply genetic algorithms to the code with a specific "fitness function" (in this case, usually some measure of entropy). Run for a long time and see what happens. Something like Avida. I was a scrub programmer at the time and didn't have access to much computing power so it was not that interesting, but I think there were traces of entropy decreasing over time in some cases. I want to believe :pray:

Of course the fun is in designing the most successful CPU architecture, instruction set, parameters of evolution... if only I had more free time nowadays :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Glad to see this LP isn't dead, and it came back with a very interesting guest as well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The game is on sale on Steam again this weekend

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good on you for grabbing an actual machine-learning person to sit in on this.

The thing about genetic algorithms is that, for all that genetics is occasionally capable of doing the jimpity jumpity joodle and departing radically from a previous plan, it is still building on what came before, so it's possible for a genetic algorithm to reach a point at which it can get no better - a local maximum - even if that means it falls well short of what it can be.

We see this in genetics every now and then, when something like the coelacanth gets to be really really good at being an ocean-dwelling life form and has no obvious path to improvement, and then millions of years later when the species it's pushed to the periphery come back with their new-fangled swim bladders they rocket to the top of the leaderboards and the coelacanth just can't hack it.

spronkles
Jun 2, 2013
Just wanted to chime in how much I enjoyed this lp.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

spronkles posted:

Just wanted to chime in how much I enjoyed this lp.

Okay, so, hey, here's the deal:

The fall semester sucks for me. I run a competitive extracurricular, and basically once October hits I have no free time (since that puts extra time constraints on the normal grading load). We actually have three more episodes recorded and uploaded from back in September that I simply haven't had time to get through editing/polishing/posting.

BUT, things should look up dramatically very soon now -- we hope to get back on a regular schedule starting in January-ish, and despite the long hiatus and indeed all outward appearances this LP is not dead. I'm actually really, really excited to get to the third world, because I have a LOT to talk about there.

e: if you didn't catch it, Matt and I actually did a weird, experimental sort-of-LP of The Beginner's Guide earlier this fall, and if you like the pedantic overanalysis of this LP you're quite likely to enjoy it as well.

Occultatio fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 22, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thanks for the update; I've always enjoyed your LPs and I was hopeful that this was just delayed.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The game is currently only 10$ on steam.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

I ATEN'T DEAD

I will try to get some more knocked out relatively soon? In the meantime please enjoy this video from I think October.

(trufax: as mentioned at one point late in the video, I started feeling super nauseous about halfway through this recording session, which is part of why it's so short, but at least one part of the reason it's so late to go up is that every time I tried to rewatch it for editing purposes it kind of made me feel sick again like some kind of sympathetic response. Matt said that he couldn't tell from my voice that I was feeling unwell, so hopefully none of this comes through in the final product.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That was a tedious puzzle to return to. But I still enjoy your banter and it actually feels like I am learning a few things.

Also, Choice of Robots is great. If you can run it on your phone it's a perfect time waster, while your in a train or something. It really helped me bridge a terrible time when I had to stay at a hospital for a few days.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

I am pretty certain with the conversation at the end of this episode that there is no hacker. Just Milton trying to make you think there was someone else trying to connect with you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shaded Spriter posted:

I am pretty certain with the conversation at the end of this episode that there is no hacker. Just Milton trying to make you think there was someone else trying to connect with you.
I mean that's what he says.

However, they show on one of those terminals that thought experiment where people believed in a chat that they were talking to a real person, but it was just a sophisticated chat bot.

The problem is that, as the MLA mentions, you can't really trust anything you see in this place. So he could also be lying. But it does seem more than likely that he was testing you with the 'hacker' thing.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Air is lava! posted:

That was a tedious puzzle to return to.

I agree. So, have another video!

(they won't all be coming out this fast, but I'm trying to at least clear the backlog, so we're not just sitting on a pile of ready-to-release videos)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This game is :10bux: on the new Steam Sale, which I think is the lowest price it's been

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

In which we finally get out of loving Egypt.

We won't get to the videos where we discuss this directly for another chunk, but: anybody who likes the puzzles of Talos should really, really, really check out The Witness. While it doesn't have the philosophical depth and satisfying thematic layer of TTP, The Witness has basically the best pure puzzle design since, well, Braid.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

Occultatio posted:

We won't get to the videos where we discuss this directly for another chunk, but: anybody who likes the puzzles of Talos should really, really, really check out The Witness. While it doesn't have the philosophical depth and satisfying thematic layer of TTP, The Witness has basically the best pure puzzle design since, well, Braid.

Watching the reaction to world C was good...It is great when you realise that what you were hearing on the title is chanting in a great cathedral. I have visited a couple of them (Durham and York) the acoustics in them are breath taking.

Glad you enjoyed/enjoying The Witness (Not sure how complete you are with it...I haven't 100% it yet.) It is something I would like to watch a competent half-blind let's play of in the future. It might not be as interesting discussion wise but then again you managed to make a silent let's play of the Beginner's Guide fascinating.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Occultatio posted:

You missed a QR code to the left of the C elevator (27:34 in the video).

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Shaded Spriter posted:

Glad you enjoyed/enjoying The Witness (Not sure how complete you are with it...I haven't 100% it yet.) It is something I would like to watch a competent half-blind let's play of in the future. It might not be as interesting discussion wise but then again you managed to make a silent let's play of the Beginner's Guide fascinating.

"Sadly," we have both played it, and that is a game that if it is to be properly LP'd (and I'm vaguely of the opinion that it shouldn't be, but eh) it MUST be done totally blind -- the process of discovery is literally the entire point. Fortunately, Pete and Amy's ongoing blind LP of it is vicariously scratching the "I wish I could wipe my memory and play it again" itch quite nicely, for anybody who HAS played The Witness themselves and wants to watch new people stumble through.

Anyway, today is sort of a double update!

This is a long video consisting about 75% of solving tetromino puzzles. I try to help Matt approach them a little more strategically, and talk about why tetrominos are cool in a general sense, but in the end it's still close to 40 minutes of solving tetromino puzzles. I put a generous amount of annotations in the video to help anybody who wants to jump around, and I would suggest that at least the last ~15 minutes (there's a link to the timecode at the very beginning) are worth watching, as I discover something about the game I legitimately did not know before and it sort of blows my mind.

Buuuut, since I don't honestly think even that redeems an entire video of solving tetromino puzzles, here's the next "real" update, in which we FINALLY start solving World C puzzles and get into some pretty heated philosophical arguments:

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Just watched the first video, and I'm honestly surprised I had never seen anything about that Messenger interaction until this LP. Even with a bunch of Steam friends with the game, I must have been the first to become a messenger, since I only ever saw epitaphs from the game's own AIs. I agree with you that it really strengthens that ending. Again, though, I wonder why I've never seen anything about it before now?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Your discussion at the end of the second video, about maximizing happiness, hit a couple of mental tangents and reminded me about Maimonides's levels of tzedakah. Let's see if I still remember my Sunday school...
--Give grudgingly after being asked.
--Give willingly when asked, but not enough.
--Give willingly and adequately when asked.
--Give (willingly and adequately is assumed from here) without being asked.
--Give without knowing the recipient.
--Give knowing the recipient but anonymously.
--Give blindly and anonymously.
--Give a job or teaching or some other form of help that benefits them forever. (The "give a man a fish" proverb, though I think that one's only a few hundred years old, well after Maimonides)

The levels are arranged both by benefit and by how much they allow the parties involved to keep their pride, which is definitely a variant on "maximizing happiness."

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Missed a QR code on the wall to your right at 51:02

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The most infamous example of chirality in chemistry is thalidomide, which was developed to combat morning sickness in pregnant women - unfortunately, it was produced without worrying about the chirality of the thalidomide molecules, and the molecules of the wrong chirality ended up producing deformed children. We could probably develop thalidomide specifically with the correct chirality these days, but good luck getting anyone to test it.

Mathematicians typically don't worry too hard about the chirality of tetrominos - S and Z are both congruent after all, as are L and J - and to a mathematician, congruency is the important part. So they typically allow mirroring of them. This might be why a lot of mathematicians prefer puzzles with pentominos - five squares joined together, rather than four. With pentominos, there are twelve distinct shapes (as opposed to the five plus two chiral versions with tetrominos). There are a fair number of neat tricks you can do with pentominos, such as forming all 12 of them into differently shaped rectangles (12 x 5 = 60, which has a lot of factors - so lots of different rectangle shapes to play with there).

Tetrominos are a lot more famous outside of mathematics though, thanks to good ol' Tetris. And similar general ideas apply - Ss and Zs are a pain because they are chiral, and because they only have two distinct ways they can be arranged. Squares are also a pain because, although there's no chirality, they only have one distinct orientation. Ts are great utility pieces because they have four distinct orientations, and aren't chiral.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I noticed that Matt was often quite quick to restart those puzzles. He probably could have solved them a bit faster if he just moved around and replaced some pieces until everything fits. That's how I solved most of those.

Also. That messenger thing is quite cool, Thanks for pointing that out.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Hello it has been literally the absolute most horrible week of my entire life in every possible way which is why this update is late but here it is so enjoy it(?)

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Occultatio posted:

Hello it has been literally the absolute most horrible week of my entire life in every possible way which is why this update is late but here it is so enjoy it(?)

You need all the red sigils for the big door to open.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
God, I am sorry to hear that Occulatio. That sounds really terrible. I hope you have support.
Please don't feel preasured with these videos. I do enjoy them, but if you have serious poo poo to sort out, that should be your priority.

whitehelm posted:

You need all the red sigils for the big door to open.

What? No. There's a lot of interesting stuff in the tower he could do right now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If it's any consolation, it was worth it

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

There is another Easter egg in C2 you didn't get - it is a simple one just go through the red door you actually talked about in the video. (It isn't solid.)

the 5 messages outside confused about what they saw are actually referring to that easter egg.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Okay sorry for the gloomy tone -- I had recently and unexpectedly lost my dog (among other poo poo I'm not going to talk about) a few days before I posted the previous video, and was still pretty depressed about it. We still miss him, but a) life moves on and healing happens, and b) the experience actually fed into what I think was a really fascinating conversation in the videos we just recorded this weekend (19 and 20, hopefully up within the next couple of weeks).

Anyway, this video features a grand total of two puzzles, neither of which I remembered how to solve and so was working alongside Matt. I don't think we were particularly stupid or anything; I just think these are two really difficult puzzles, and we went down some really plausible but ultimately futile blind alleys. In any case, the video description (as always) features links to let you jump around if you get really bored. In the second half, though, we discuss The Witness (which had just come out when we recorded) and, in as non-spoilery a way as possible, what makes it so loving amazing. To summarize: anybody who likes TTP for the puzzles and philosophy NEEDS to go play The Witness; you will not regret it.

Oh yeah, video:

(also, if anybody can .gif the moment at about 16:30, I will be very grateful; it's basically too_clever_for_own_good.jpg)

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

I am glad you went into the misuse of the word Pretentious...this is the thing I hate the most about any video I watch of The Witness. People when they come across their first 2 minute quote always do it. (Not watched a video of anyone getting to any of the longer video clips.) I think it might have a lot to do with the art of let's playing meaning that you are thinking of what to say as soon as it finishes rather than just thinking about what the quote means and what it means in is position to the puzzles.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Shaded Spriter posted:

I am glad you went into the misuse of the word Pretentious...this is the thing I hate the most about any video I watch of The Witness. People when they come across their first 2 minute quote always do it. (Not watched a video of anyone getting to any of the longer video clips.) I think it might have a lot to do with the art of let's playing meaning that you are thinking of what to say as soon as it finishes rather than just thinking about what the quote means and what it means in is position to the puzzles.

I think the word a lot of people are searching for -- which admittedly does, somewhat, apply to Braid at least -- is pompous. Whether you agree with them or not, whether you consider them deep and insightful or not, both of Blow's games legitimately do have things to say about such Big Topics as science and religion and humanity and all that. The themes may not be breathtakingly original, but they do cohere -- they're not "pretending" to have greater depth than they in fact achieve.

The DELIVERY of those themes, however, definitely (in Braid, at least) is unneccesarily grandiose and apes a very "artsy" aesthetic. The Witness's audio logs may also come across that way at first, but if you reach the post-game content and find the "bonus" logs then it immediately recontextualizes how you should interpret them all -- you may still legitimately argue that it's pompous or over-the-top to make players listen to a 2-minute spiel about the nature of god and discovery within 15 minutes of starting the game, or that that's a bad design decision, but it's only "pretentious" if it doesn't follow through with its exploration of those ideas.

It's basically why I love the Talos Principle: if all it did were have random musings from philosophers and such on optional computer terminals while you solved puzzles, that would be pretentious, but instead the entire game's narrative is not only built around that philosophy but makes a really thoughtful and coherent statement about it: they don't pretend to understand any lofty concepts that they, in fact, don't.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man that was frustrating. He had the right idea at the start, but you insisted that he should restart when he put the box in there.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Air is lava! posted:

Man that was frustrating. He had the right idea at the start, but you insisted that he should restart when he put the box in there.

I know, I'm sorry. :( On the bright side, it led to a truly beautiful failure mode.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Occultatio posted:

I know, I'm sorry. :( On the bright side, it led to a truly beautiful failure mode.

To be fair, it felt a bit worse because I have this stupid puzzle memorized, since I literally spend hours trying to get that stupid star. I kept trying to do that the same way Matt tried by levitating that cube. But it just barely didn't work.
Eventually I had a weird solution which may not be intended. Stack both cubes on a fan platform, jump onto the fan, up to the cube stack and from there you can go up on the wall, where you can place a reflector. That is a ridiculous solution.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Not a video update, but exciting news nevertheless: The Sea Will Claim Everything, a previous game by Talos Principle co-writer Jonas Kyratzes, is finally off Greenlight and onto Steam!

Sadly, it has apparently not qualified for Steam's list of front-paged Popular New Releases, so it's really reliant on word-of-mouth. I know for me at least this is a day-1 purchase, because, beyond the fact that it looks like a really, really interesting game, I really want to support Kyratzes (who is largely responsible for all the terminal entries we've read, among other bits and pieces).

Do note the system requirements, though:

quote:

Processor: You must have a processor.
Memory: 2 GB RAM
DirectX: Version 8.0
Storage: 242 MB available space
Additional Notes: Not compatible with porcupines or nutrias. Works with mice, capybaras, most popular rodents.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That was the first time I can remember where I knew you guys were close to figuring it out but instead it took about 10 minutes of checking everything else first before discovering the solution.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Having recently seen the Talos Principle AGDQ video I just wanted to tell you that you are about 37 minutes in. It's really worth a watch once you don't care about spoilers. It's only 6 minutes longer than the previous video.

Occultatio posted:

Not a video update, but exciting news nevertheless: The Sea Will Claim Everything, a previous game by Talos Principle co-writer Jonas Kyratzes, is finally off Greenlight and onto Steam!

Sadly, it has apparently not qualified for Steam's list of front-paged Popular New Releases, so it's really reliant on word-of-mouth. I know for me at least this is a day-1 purchase, because, beyond the fact that it looks like a really, really interesting game, I really want to support Kyratzes (who is largely responsible for all the terminal entries we've read, among other bits and pieces).

I really liked this game, even though I don't agree with some of the political points. Clicking on ever single mushroom to learn their stories is great.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 26, 2016

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

Occultatio posted:

Do note the system requirements, though:

A Rock Paper shotgun article brought the information to my attention - The next game in this series The Council of Crows is also on greenlight.

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer
I've enjoyed watching this LP, hopefully you get the time to finish it this summer. A lot of the existential/consciousness questions reminded me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQHBAdShgYI

I think my favorite part of the whole thing was when you called Diogenes the best Greek philosopher - I was all "yep they're goons alright" :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Wow, how did I miss this LP for almost a year? I loved you guys' previous LPs but somehow I just never saw this thread. In any case, it finally spurred me to play the game through for myself ahead of watching your videos.

For the record, one reason the clever solution in the previous video couldn't be the "correct" one is that it requires the alternative use key. While it's really helpful, it is never required for the intended solution of a puzzle. If you can't point the connector to all its targets without putting it down, you're probably on the wrong track.

• Locked thread