Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Screw that! We're a Nazirite, like Samson, a mighty hero who slew men by the dozens and was a colossal dick to his enemies. Swordplay should let us start our foreskin collection in earnest.

E: we're in not-Venice judging by the book cover. I say we boot some of these assholes into the open sewers they call canals if we get the chance.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
The city crest is even a winged lion, so they're not even subtle about that.

Also: be canny.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Better be as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
We need to be CUNNING about this, no way we can fight off a horde of Nazis!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Told you we should've killed the kid :colbert:. Cun your way out of this.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Jesus. The very first thing that happens is we get stabbed by some lowlife punk at our very first story choice for going light side. drat. gently caress the consequences, Renegade fo life, yo.

Swordplay

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
poo poo be cunning.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I can't believe that this exists and got published.

Trying to fighting an entire bloodthirsty mob is suicide. Cunning.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Kill 'em all.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Cathulhu posted:

The city crest is even a winged lion, so they're not even subtle about that.

Are you saying that the book that has both a "Kill the Judain" chant and "take them to camps at the city outskirts" in the first 5 paragraphs is not a subtle one? :cry:

Let's be what the author is not (cunning).

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It's not like the Nazis were ever the only people to have anti-Jew pogroms. Martin Luther (the man who started the Protestant reformation) got laws similar to the one in this book pushed through and wrote a lot of racist poo poo. Everybody ever has hated and murdered Jews, p much.

E: It's more or less accurate to the semi-historical fantasy vibe they've got going.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 29, 2015

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

301 posted:

Only a rogue like you would know how to save yourself. Slipping your dagger from your sleeve you step sideways and grab a timid-looking young woman, richly dressed, away from her aged retainer. You hold the blade to her throat. You are lucky, she is the only daughter of a nobleman and the soldiers check, fearful of her father's wrath.

'Put up your sword or the girl dies.'

The mob falls silent and the soldiers look to the town crier who orders them to obey you.

You walk her away from the plaza, ordering everyone to stay where they are. As soon as you turn the corner you release her, shout a quick apology, and run for it.

Turn to 38.

: OK, where's the next nobleman's daughter? I'm sure this city has enough of them scattered around to leapfrog myself to the city walls...

Page 38 posted:

People turn to stare as you run past and then take up the hue and cry as they are engulfed by the mob that pursues you. You run on, your lungs beginning to hurt. They are not closing but you don’t know how much longer you can keep going like this. Every time you see a likely place to hide there seems to be someone else there. You turn a corner and run on in the direction of the main gate where the trade road enters the city. Behind you can hear the sound of hoofs on the cobbles. A squadron of the Overlord’s cavalry is giving chase. Ahead there is a drinking house, outside is a horse tethered to a post.

Will you steal a horse, turn to 237, or hide in the drinking house, turn to 255?

: ...any chance this is some noblesteed's favored foal?

Character Sheet posted:

Jay 'The Hammer' Sherman the Nazirite

Skills: CHARMS, CUNNING, SWORDPLAY and WILDERNESS LORE

Life Points: 11/12

Gleenars: 9

Possessions: Amulet, sword, evidently a dagger (?)

Codewords:

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Steal a horse. What could go wrong?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Well, since we have wilderness lore, maybe it's time to leave the city for a while. Let's steal the horse.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

We're already being chased by guys on horses, trying to outrun them would be suicide. Drinking house!

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Rustle that horse.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Steal a noble steed.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
The horse seems less suicidal.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Steal the horse.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Drinking house. We are tired, thirsty and have had enough of this poo poo. With luck there will be help or shelter again. If not, we can still steal a horse.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Drinking horse

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Grand Theft Equus

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

237 posted:

The horse looks skittish. Its chestnut flanks are darkened by sweat and its eyes dart about nervously while it snorts and fidgets. It seems to be afraid of something.

If you have the skill of AGILITY, turn to 271.
If you have the skill of WILDERNESS LORE, turn to 226.
Otherwise, turn to 289.

Show of hands of those who thought 'WILDERNESS LORE' wasn't going to see much use on our adventure through not-Venice. *Sheepishly acknowledges less than 100% familiarity with the book*

Page 226 posted:

You know a little bit about horses and can ride tolerably well. Looking at the horse you see it is flinching from its own shadow. Taking its bridle you turn it till it is facing into the sun so it can no longer see its shadow. Mounting safely, you can give the horse free rein: it surges into a gallop and you hang on grimly. Luckily for you the road to the main gate is straight. Within a few minutes you can see the wooden arches of the double gate ahead. People jump aside at the last moment from the path of your frothing mount.

The horse is still galloping wildly as you approach the gate and the gate guards tumble out of their guardhouse to stop you. One tries to grab the bridle but misses and falls over. Another is winding his crossbow. As you gallop past he lets fly and the bolt catches you in the side. Lose 3 Life Points.

If you still live, hang on grimly as the twang of crossbows echoes from behind. Bolts zip past your ears. The horse gallops on, leaving pursuit behind. The towers and minarets of Godorno are lost to view by the time the horse runs itself out. You dismount and carry on up the trade road on foot.

Turn to 302.

: Wonder if there's much market for horseflesh out here?

Page 302 posted:

It is unusual for travelers to walk alone on the trade route. Brigands live in hill forts to the north of the road. Their crenellated keeps survey great sweeps of land from which they come down on poor travelers like wolves on the fold. They plunder the merchant caravans, doing battle with the mercenary guards. Walking alone you are not safe.

The road is already starting to climb toward the mountain passes, through meadowlands where the brigands keep herds of cattle.

Will you go along the road (turn to 3), or strike off north through brigand territory towards the great forest (turn to 14)?

: Great forest? Why does that sound familiar....*twitches*

Character Sheet posted:

Life Points: 8/12

Possessions: Amulet, sword, evidently a dagger (?), one slightly used crossbow bolt

Codewords:

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
We have Wilderness Lore so I guess we will do better heading towards the Forest (page 14)

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
The Grailquest LP thread has conditioned me against turning to section 14. Go by road.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Fieldtrip to the Forest.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Man, I can't get on the right side of a vote at the moment. Heading to the Forest sounds a lot safer for a guy like us with Wilderness Lore.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Don't go to 14 it only ends in death!

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Let's explore the forest.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Forest

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The Forest looks like a terrible path. Oops :cheeky:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Going through the Forest sounds really dumb.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zodiac killer posted:

FORREST

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Take the road.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Never trust Forrest Kaysen :ohdear:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 14 posted:

You leave the road and head into the rich farmlands that lead towards the valley of Burg and the great forest beyond. These green hills and dales with their farmsteads, mills and vineyards are the breadbasket of the decadent city of Godorno.

Soon after dawn the next day you pass a Judain shrine – white marble arches hung with creepers, set up on a hillside. Inside the shrine, which hasn’t been visited for some time, you find the holy book of teachings, The Songs of Suleiman, which tells of the Judains’s flight from captivity and their search for the Promised Land. It is full of the most marvelous stories of heroism in the face of stark adversity. The stories of your noble people lift up your heart and give you the strength to dare to be a hero and strive to be the savior of the Judain. The understanding you gain here in this shrine means you will never nurture hate in your heart.

You linger at the shrine and go on reading until the failing light tires your eyes. When you awaken in the morning you beig reading again, and the cycle of waking, reaching and sleeping continues until you have absorbed every word of the holy book. Time for you has passed quickly, but after you have finished the book you realize that you have been at the shrine for more than a week, your body sustained only by the knowledge you have learned. Lose 1 Life Point.

Your mind is made up, You will go back to Godorno to try to save your people. Turning your back on the bucolic dales and farmsteads is easy when you travel with a light heart. You will live to be a hero or perish in the attempt. Nothing can shake your resolve.

Note the codeword Satori on your Adventure Sheet.

Then decide if you will go back down the road you travelled from Godorno (turn to 85) or if you will cut across country towards the Palayal river (turn to 155).

Bolding mine, but be assured that there's PLENTY more to see that's less subtle than this.

Character Sheet posted:

Life Points: 7/12

Possessions: Amulet, sword, evidently a dagger (?), one slightly used crossbow bolt

Codewords: Satori

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Lets go take a bath at the river. Reading is sweaty work!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Oh, and here's the map from the inner cover. I may try to snap a higher res version, but this'll do for now.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yes, we'll gather at the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
drat, we are just losing all the Life Points. Soon we'll be a Jew Judain with no life.

Which sounds an awful lot like me, and since I love rivers and lakes, let's go to the River

• Locked thread