Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Should I do a Yiddish to English translation of some of the terms involved, or are you going to do that in a lore post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Right, let's break this down:

The Avenger: Probably this, though it's a common enough a word that I can't be sure.

The Sandek: "Godfather". Doesn't carry the same associations in Yiddish (or in any language up until a certain movie came along) but... yeah, that's what the book is going with. Judaism doesn't have a baptism ritual (for the most part) so the godfather is the person who holds the boy during his circumcision.

The Chakham: Literally "wise man". A Torah scholar.

The Cabbalist: I supposed everyone are familiar with the Kabbalah at least by way of cultural osmosis. The thing is, despite pop-cultural associations with "Jewish Magic", the practices and rituals of the Kabbalah are about an esoteric connection with the Holy Spirit more than any sort of practical application.

The Schnorer: Beggar. Also a pejorative way to refer to charity solicitors ("The Schnor" as a whole) and similar community organizers.

The Nazirite: Vow Giver or Hermit (temporary). Someone consecrating themselves to god. An equivalent of medieval knightly geas. In modern day Hebrew, mostly means "monk" (non-Jewish) since the Hermetic rituals has mostly parted ways with various branches of modern Judaism.

The Seer: It's an English word. Do you really need that one clarified? The angel Raziel, meanwhile, is the patron of secret knowledge. Also, bitching scarves.

• Locked thread