Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Studio
Jan 15, 2008

He was super loving happy to be there, Kevin rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Kevin was great, but he wasn't as great as the japanese runners who communicated with telepathy. Still, as I guess the organisation of the Tetris block is mostly, if not fully, on him, he can sleep well, as I've seen nothing but positive reception. Item mode was great, everything was amazingly hype, and that one loss a line from complete success couldn't have been better :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hahahaha, Trihex choking repeatedly in the Yoshi's Island run.

Wish he'd had someone else commentate, like the multiple pros on the couch, so he could focus on playing well!

(<3 Trihex)

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've always been under the impression Kevin is well aware as insanely good as he is that Japanese guy is a tetris God that we mortals can only stare at in awe.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

LethalGeek posted:

I've always been under the impression Kevin is well aware as insanely good as he is that Japanese guy is a tetris God that we mortals can only stare at in awe.

yeah when I ran into him like 2 days later I was asking him about nerves and he pretty much said that he had pretty much accepted that he was on stage to provide English commentary for KAN and SQR

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm on the last day of VODs after watching the whole thing from start to finish and I feel like this is one of the best GDQs yet. Tech crew seemed really on point this time around, donation readers managed dead air really well and there were some really solid runs with really solid commentary. The only ways I can see things improved in AGDQ:

Blechy comes back
Cosmo returns to speedrunning to retake his OoT crown (the people commenting on OoT and the guy running it at this one were not so great)
Big Jon Golf Block
Fewer/No races with more than two players. The screens are just too dang small and it's hard to keep track of that many people.
More dev call ins (I can't get enough of these)
TGM4 released and displayed

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Super Metroid is amazing with 4 racers though

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Super metroid is exempt but all other races with more than 2 people are absolute poo poo

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I mean, it's cool to have the competition and poo poo but even on the 48 inch TV my computer is connected to the screens are kind of small. I'd love if they could split the runners into different streams or something so I could set it up in a multimonitor thing but that seems well beyond what the staff and my bandwidth could handle.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
They should have a stream without the couch cam/extra info and just have a donation scroll/lower third so you can actually see poo poo

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

They should have a stream without the couch cam/extra info and just have a donation scroll/lower third so you can actually see poo poo

But that's not HOYPE

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hype is um, extremely epic

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its also made of win

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Super Metroid kind of has to be four racers due to how brutal the game is. People often die. There was a two-man race at AGDQ 2015 and one dude died to Phantoon and the rest of the run was hella awkward as he just sat there looking sad.

also yeah bring back blechy what's he up to anyway

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Kaubocks posted:

Super Metroid kind of has to be four racers due to how brutal the game is. People often die. There was a two-man race at AGDQ 2015 and one dude died to Phantoon and the rest of the run was hella awkward as he just sat there looking sad.

also yeah bring back blechy what's he up to anyway

He had a couple of donations read out. I'm guessing he just couldn't make it this time. He's definitely one of the best commentators and he actually had good dev questions and poo poo at this past AGDQ compared to some of the other dev call in games.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Blechy did the Get Yourself Speedrunning things that took place after SGDQ, so he's definitely still around. Guessing he just couldn't make the flight over to SGDQ.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

They should do another Super Metroid race with the ESPN-esque commentary. I ate that poo poo up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hahaha, sorry to keep bumping this when it's long over, but how do they get bigger and bigger every year, yet still have such incompetent technical staff? I just got to the Ducktales/Maui Mallard(possibly past that, didn't go past MM yet) parts and they've had Chrono Trigger music blaring over the entirety of them, making the audio a garbled mess and the commentary, which is already far too quiet, completely eclipsed.

I know it's a charity event and folks do their best, but couldn't they get a rotation going of people who know what they're doing for setups, audio, and keeping an eye on things to make sure they're not broadcasting the idle music over the actual runs? And why does it take 15+ minutes to switch out consoles/cables/etc between each run? Genuine question.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
That video has been fixed for a while so you should probably stop watching the old version of it.

Short answer: The audio feed for the recordings was different (though intended to be essentially identical) than what went out on the stream, so occasionally stuff like that happened because nobody was listening to the other feed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I just had an in-order playlist of sgdq on youtube that I've been watching.

Where's the updated one?

edit: this is the one I was watching

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 7, 2015

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Hahaha, sorry to keep bumping this when it's long over, but how do they get bigger and bigger every year, yet still have such incompetent technical staff? I just got to the Ducktales/Maui Mallard(possibly past that, didn't go past MM yet) parts and they've had Chrono Trigger music blaring over the entirety of them, making the audio a garbled mess and the commentary, which is already far too quiet, completely eclipsed.

I know it's a charity event and folks do their best, but couldn't they get a rotation going of people who know what they're doing for setups, audio, and keeping an eye on things to make sure they're not broadcasting the idle music over the actual runs? And why does it take 15+ minutes to switch out consoles/cables/etc between each run? Genuine question.
This was the least messed up marathon ever so idk what the hell you found but what.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah things went incredibly smoothly throughout the entire marathon so don't jump to yelling at the staff for no reason imo, especially when the problem is your fault

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LethalGeek posted:

This was the least messed up marathon ever so idk what the hell you found but what.

Granted I don't normally watch every run but when was it more messed up?

flatluigi posted:

Yeah things went incredibly smoothly throughout the entire marathon so don't jump to yelling at the staff for no reason imo, especially when the problem is your fault
Is this the official youtube channel for the runs? https://www.youtube.com/user/gamesdonequick

Because the audio is ridiculously quiet in a lot of the videos, commentary isn't loud enough, etc. If that's not the official one, a link to the right one would be appreciated.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I make fun of gdqs for a lot of reasons (they do a lot of good for the world tho) but technical reasons arent one of them

Imagine having to get a million types of hardware running, streaming, and making sure it all works perfect

No thx

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

That is the official channel. The first 2 or so days' runs had audio issues due to what UA described but I believe new versions of those videos were all uploaded already, although I haven't watched them myself.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
It is the official one, but a lot of the initial uploads had audio issues for the reason mentioned above.

Most of the audio issues were fixed within a week of the event being over by uploading versions with the audio track spliced in from the direct stream recordings.

If a video is unlisted (and comments and ratings are disabled), then it's the old version and you should check the channel's video list for the updated one. Unfortunately I don't have any way of updating other people's playlists. Once they're all up I'll be making an official playlist.

Alternately you can check out the archive.org downloads:

https://archive.org/details/SummerGamesDoneQuick2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Huh, wonder why they wouldn't just delete the broken videos instead of unlisting them, since all the playlists on youtube have the obsolete, broken ones in them.

Also, it seems that, between the first post and just now, that like a hundred new videos just got uploaded to their page, so I guess they're uploading the fixed versions of a bunch of videos right now?

And the actual question from before, why does it take so long to change consoles/games? Like what's the process outside of unplugging/plugging things in?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
CAn we assume that the trainwreck Crash run won't ever be uploaded?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Basically there's been high demand in the past for quick uploads of videos during the marathon because a ton of skeevy people were uploading their own and monetizing them to hell and back (including a few people who were straight-up promoting their own lovely runs on the same channels that were easily confusable as official) so this time around they had uploads going up on youtube quickly as a stopgap between pointing people to the vods and waiting for the high-quality uploads to come out later. Some of the stopgap uploads aren't the best quality mainly because they were always going to be replaced and all the staff wprking on the audio were rightly focusing on how everything came out on-stream instead of the recordings.

You're watching the stopgap version (which was even marked unlisted!) instead of the official version because you mistook someone's unofficial playlist for an official one. Here's the HQ version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynJdSq6xc7k

Captain Invictus posted:

Huh, wonder why they wouldn't just delete the broken videos instead of unlisting them, since all the playlists on youtube have the obsolete, broken ones in them.

Also, it seems that, between the first post and just now, that like a hundred new videos just got uploaded to their page, so I guess they're uploading the fixed versions of a bunch of videos right now?

And the actual question from before, why does it take so long to change consoles/games? Like what's the process outside of unplugging/plugging things in?

- Making them unlisted should have been good enough, though making them private or deleting them should help for denser people
- there's been over a hundred of the new versions uploaded for weeks and UA's still constantly working on getting more and more up, so no you just missed all the ones that were fixed (maui mallard is three weeks old)
- there's a hell of a difference between plugging in a different console into your tv at home and plugging it into dedicated streaming and recording hardware while simultaneously setting up microphones and other audio, swapping people in and out at all stations, and checking to make sure nothing got hosed up along the way.

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 7, 2015

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
double

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

DoctorWhat posted:

CAn we assume that the trainwreck Crash run won't ever be uploaded?

Not on the official site but it's out there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This isn't a cucking derail but its still entertainimg

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

UraniumAnchor posted:

Alternately you can check out the archive.org downloads:

https://archive.org/details/SummerGamesDoneQuick2015
The audio's much better on there, thanks.

flatluigi posted:

Basically there's been high demand in the past for quick uploads of videos during the marathon because a ton of skeevy people were uploading their own and monetizing them to hell and back (including a few people who were straight-up promoting their own lovely runs on the same channels that were easily confusable as official) so this time around they had uploads going up on youtube quickly as a stopgap between pointing people to the vods and waiting for the high-quality uploads to come out later. Some of the stopgap uploads aren't the best quality mainly because they were always going to be replaced and all the staff wprking on the audio were rightly focusing on how everything came out on-stream instead of the recordings.
That makes a lot of sense, and naturally it has to do with people being scum.

quote:

(which was even marked unlisted!)
Youtube used to have a colored bar saying "this video is unlisted, only those with the link can see it!" before, but apparently at some point they changed that to a little lock icon that says that when you hover over it, that's smaller than some emoticons on SA. It's not unreasonable to not notice that when I have the window set to large video mode, I knew it wasn't an official playlist, but since all the videos were from the official channel, I took that to mean they were the archives.

Eonwe posted:

This isn't a cucking derail but its still entertainimg
What does cucking have to do with speedrunning? Do I even want to know?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 7, 2015

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Please don't enable eonwe's obsessions with years-old obscure speedrun drama, i know it's all they live for but we have to cut them off at some point

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Speedrun drama is all I live for

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Eonwe posted:

Speedrun drama is all I live for

hell, same

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Speedrun and DotA drama makes me feel loving alive man. poo poo is like goddamn crack.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Luceid posted:

hell, same

right there with you

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This conversation isn't going like I thought it would but I'm glad of it

I feel like if speedrun goons didn't have such thin skin and just ignored me they have a better time of it, but someone always takes the bait so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

The recording has to be stopped and restarted. The previous run has to be uploaded to YouTube. The stream layout and information has to be updated, often including multiple runners and timers. Coordination with the host is needed to announce the next run. There are like seven TVs up in the front of the room, as each runner has their own needs for TV type and size and hookups. Newer consoles use HDMI flat panels, older consoles use CRTs. So TVs have to be moved around to fit the runner and cables have to be re-routed to hook up the new TV. Not to mention PCs, which need their own special handling. Audio is routed separately from video, so coordination with the audio team is required. On top of all that, some runners have special requirements like headphones or coordination with the couch.

And all of this is done by volunteers, often with little or no experience. I was one of two tech guys and I'd never worked the station before. And if any one thing goes wrong, it must be diagnosed and fixed by one of the volunteers. poo poo just takes time. We're not professionals, and they certainly don't have the money to spend on automation hardware.

• Locked thread