Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The first half of season 4 blew, not the second half. The second half was crazy great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Apoplexy posted:

The first half of season 4 blew, not the second half. The second half was crazy great.
After checking, yes, after Coup by Clam (which was IMO worse than Jeremiah Crichton), S4 is good. But S4 is just good because S3 is basically a perfect season of television.

Also there are a ton of episodes over the run that I liked even though apparently general consensus amongst the fans is that they sucked. (Mental as Anything for starters).

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Aw, I was hoping for more of a recap for those of us not watching along. I was reading Toxxuoccupation's thread having not seen the episodes for nearly ten years, if at all.

Also just to be a disagreeable motherfucker:

docbeard posted:

It's hardly any wonder that the first episode of a new series is quite often the weakest.
I've found it's usually quite the opposite. If you look on kevinformatics TV graphs, pilots get some of the highest ratings almost always with a massive dropoff for the second episode. The pilot is strong because it's all budget and concentrated storytelling, and then the second episode is a massive drag because "poo poo, we've got like 23 more episodes to fill, we gotta take our time" and it takes them a good while to get back up to speed.

EDIT: holy poo poo, the Farscape graph jumps all over the place from episode to episode.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 26, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

VagueRant posted:

EDIT: holy poo poo, the Farscape graph jumps all over the place from episode to episode.

PK Tech Girl, Through the Looking Glass, Crichton Kicks and Unrealized Reality all below Jeremiah Crichton :wtc:

Looks like people don't like the first two parts of Look at the Princess, either. I'll fite u

gently caress it, I'll fite u for Scratch 'n Sniff 'n all

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Aw, I was hoping for more of a recap for those of us not watching along. I was reading Toxxuoccupation's thread having not seen the episodes for nearly ten years, if at all.

Also just to be a disagreeable motherfucker:
I've found it's usually quite the opposite. If you look on kevinformatics TV graphs, pilots get some of the highest ratings almost always with a massive dropoff for the second episode. The pilot is strong because it's all budget and concentrated storytelling, and then the second episode is a massive drag because "poo poo, we've got like 23 more episodes to fill, we gotta take our time" and it takes them a good while to get back up to speed.

On the writing side it's usually the weaker episode because a series premiere (or hell, even a pilot) has to play box checking most of the time. Viewer-count wise, most people almost always tune in during the premiere and then decide from there (which is not a good proposition but I can't force people to watch 4-5 to get a real feel for a show) which is why everyone shows up but then suddenly leaves 99% of the time.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sober posted:

On the writing side it's usually the weaker episode because a series premiere (or hell, even a pilot) has to play box checking most of the time. Viewer-count wise, most people almost always tune in during the premiere and then decide from there (which is not a good proposition but I can't force people to watch 4-5 to get a real feel for a show) which is why everyone shows up but then suddenly leaves 99% of the time.

Also the cast haven't found their voices yet, and the writers haven't figured out how to write to the cast's strengths and around their weaknesses.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Autonomous Monster posted:

PK Tech Girl, Through the Looking Glass, Crichton Kicks and Unrealized Reality all below Jeremiah Crichton :wtc:

Looks like people don't like the first two parts of Look at the Princess, either. I'll fite u

gently caress it, I'll fite u for Scratch 'n Sniff 'n all

That graph is so out of whack

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

VagueRant posted:

I don't really like recaps in reviews, but I can certainly look at doing some separately.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I just watched it and thought Jeremiah Crichton was pretty entertaining, not bad in my opinion. the first subplot ends awkwardly but I liked the Rygel subplot better.

edit: maybe I should wait until the episode is reviewed.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Jeremiah Crichton is like the Jack's Tattoos episode of Lost, in that it's not actually terrible, it's just middling but everyone shouts about how bad it is for no reason. I mean, there's Coup By Clam or Taking The Stone which I would argue are worse episodes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

docbeard posted:

I can certainly look at doing some separately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sober posted:

Jeremiah Crichton is like the Jack's Tattoos episode of Lost, in that it's not actually terrible, it's just middling but everyone shouts about how bad it is for no reason. I mean, there's Coup By Clam or Taking The Stone which I would argue are worse episodes.

I'll come clean, it's been a very long time since I've watched Jeremiah Crichton and all I remember is that I really didn't like it. Nothing about why. I don't remember much about Coup by Clam either, beyond the eponymous clams, but Taking the Stone I don't have a problem with. Though I'm a sucker for Chiana episodes, and I'll happily admit it's mediocre at best.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I like Coup by Clam, because bowel movements are funny
Taking the Stone has no redeeming qualities to it though; same thing with the lava episode in season 4 too
(in fact, season 4 is very hit-or-miss with not much in the middle)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Anyways, with regards to Premiere though, IIRC, it wasn't actually even the first episode they shot? It also wasn't a traditional pilot in that they started shooting possibly PK Tech Girl or I, ET first I believe. I can't seem to remember the specifics other than that. Just thought that was interesting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

One of my two favourite shows about a bunch of arseholes flying around in a living spaceship! It's a niche genre, but I'm a fan. (My other favourite is Lexx).

For those who wanted an episode summary: John Crichton, human astronaut, accidentally creates a wormhole that deposits him in the middle of some kind of space battle. His ship collides with another, which veers off and crashes. He then gets picked up by Moya, a giant living spaceship crewed by three escaped prisoners, D'Argo, Zhaan and Rygel. Moya gets away from the battle, and they capture a Peacekeeper, Aeryn. Crichton and D'Argo then get captured by Crais, a Peacekeeper captain who blames John for his brother's death (he was on the ship John crashed into). Aeryn tries to point out that John wasn't responsible and so Crais declares her to be contaminated and therefore unfit to live. She then escapes back to Moya with John and D'Argo, and John helps them figure out a way to outrun Crais's ship. Everyone is an arsehole at all times.

Notes for people who haven't seen the show at all:

Moya (and all leviathans) can "starburst", which is basically some kind of hyperspace thing they can use to travel vast distances quickly, but it takes time to recharge between uses so sometimes (as in this episode) they won't be able to use it and will have to find some other way to escape.
The Peacekeepers are a species called Sebaceans who look exactly like humans, but can't regulate their body temperature very well, so they're very vulnerable to heat.
Zhaan looks human except that she's blue. Also she's a plant rather than an animal, but that doesn't come up as much as you might expect.
D'Argo is humanoid but with weird tentacles on his face. Basically he's a Klingon.
Rygel is a small aquatic creature who flies around on a hover-chair most of the time. He can walk, he's just lazy. Eats a lot, farts helium, is the best.
John is supposedly a brilliant scientist, but it doesn't come up as much as you might expect.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Can the fetish not-human's ships not do the hyperspace thing? They gave up chasing Moya pretty easily.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can the fetish not-human's ships not do the hyperspace thing? They gave up chasing Moya pretty easily.

They cannot. The starburst trick is unique to Leviathans. Everyone else uses a slower FTL method.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sober posted:

Anyways, with regards to Premiere though, IIRC, it wasn't actually even the first episode they shot? It also wasn't a traditional pilot in that they started shooting possibly PK Tech Girl or I, ET first I believe. I can't seem to remember the specifics other than that. Just thought that was interesting.

It is the first episode they shot. Ben Browder mentions that he took a look at the dailies of the pilot during the commentary for Jerimiah Chrichton and he was astounded that the football helmet (for lack of a better description) was the final product for the intro.

The production names for episodes became the actual episode name for about half of the first season since they didn't realize that they might want something different. It's why PK Tech Girl is such an odd sounding name ( also DNA mad scientist).

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 27, 2015

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
One of the greatest shows ever, honestly. Though I really never get the hate over Jeremiah Crichton. I have a friend that got me into the show that rants about that episode every time the show comes up, but I found it no worse than some of the other episodes and certainly better than average episodes from other sci-fi shows (not even counting the worst ones in the mix).

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Jeremiah Crichton is just aggressively boring. Boring enough to make you not want to watch it, which I suppose warrants a failing grade.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Jeremiah Crichton is a case of overeagerness. The extras all overact, the plot is one of Rygel's only standout episodes (not the greatest basis to start from), and the natives' clothing is so bright that years later they'd be receiving messages from other solar systems saying "CAN YOU PLEASE TURN DOWN YOUR SHIRTS."

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 27, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

thexerox123 posted:

It's amazing how expressive he is able to be.

Apparently a lot of people don't realize that he's voiced by the same actor who played Crais.

2house2fly posted:

I admire that willpower considering how the final TV episode did, uh, not really seem to be a very satisfying end to the show.

It ended like that because the writers were expecting a fifth season and didn't find out the show had been cancelled until pretty late in production. So it's really no wonder it's not a satisfying end since it wasn't supposed to be the end.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Peacekeeper Wars is an extremely condensed version of their plans for Season 5.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know what really hurt when I watched the show? I had misheard some things over the years, so I expected the following to happen (Spoiler tags):

I expected Craiss to come back with Talon. They were so central, I figured they would find that it's advanced starburst worked and they survived. I literally was waiting for this, and waiting.. and waiting.. and kept thinking "Oh THIS is the episode!" and be mislead.

I thought Zhann was going to be reborn; I don't know why, I distinctly heard she was found on a planet from somewhere later in the series, and I kept expecting her to pop up reincarnated or something. I didn't know why the actress left. In fact what I specifically heard is she remerged from a plant, so it was a mind gently caress in the last episode when there was that one, giant plant that fit the description and was behind a shield.. I thought the end reveal was it Zhaan, but instead, they just wasted it.

Speaking of mindfucks I heard a spoiler about the two Chritons, so in the -first- clone episode, I was pretty surprised when it died (rather than assuming it'd die, as per rules of episodic stories).

Also I thought Chianna's brother would return and be a big plot.

That said, Peacekeeper Wars was a way better ending than the official ending offered, if not perfect. I still don't know why they decided to bring them back to life in such a handwave manner, when they JUST established Chianna was both psychic and it was getting stronger, making it ENTIRELY plausible the ending of S4 was within her vision and not real without even cheating.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also I thought Chianna's brother would return and be a big plot.

This part, IIRC, was going to be a thing in season 5. Peacekeeper Wars is an extremely condensed version, but there was supposed to be an entire evil mind-controlling Nebari plot that got completely dropped to fit PKW into its runtime.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

WarLocke posted:

This part, IIRC, was going to be a thing in season 5. Peacekeeper Wars is an extremely condensed version, but there was supposed to be an entire evil mind-controlling Nebari plot that got completely dropped to fit PKW into its runtime.

Is that where Grayza came from?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

armoredgorilla posted:

Peacekeeper Wars is an extremely condensed version of their plans for Season 5.

Yeah but they really had to fight with the network to even get that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Kesper North posted:

Is that where Grayza came from?

I don't think so. I don't even remember if her thing was ever explained. The stuff I'm thinking of was going to be involving the whole Nebari government, 1984 style although it's been a (long) while so I may be misremembering.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

WarLocke posted:

I don't think so. I don't even remember if her thing was ever explained. The stuff I'm thinking of was going to be involving the whole Nebari government, 1984 style although it's been a (long) while so I may be misremembering.

If it's the "thing" I think you mean, they explained that she had a gland implanted in her chest that secretes an aphrodisiac/mind control oil. That's about as much detail as they went into though.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know what really hurt when I watched the show? I had misheard some things over the years, so I expected the following to happen (Spoiler tags):

I thought Zhann was going to be reborn; I don't know why, I distinctly heard she was found on a planet from somewhere later in the series, and I kept expecting her to pop up reincarnated or something. I didn't know why the actress left. In fact what I specifically heard is she remerged from a plant, so it was a mind gently caress in the last episode when there was that one, giant plant that fit the description and was behind a shield.. I thought the end reveal was it Zhaan, but instead, they just wasted it.

Don't read this new guys
The reason Zhaan's actress left was that the show was literally killing her. Her kidneys were shutting down from all the makeup she had to wear all the time, thats why she wears less revealing outfits as time goes on as well.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
For all its occasionally wonky episodes, Farscape really is one of the all-time great scifi shows. It's a crime that most of Claudia Black's career since seems to be voice over work in animations (and not wearing more leather...)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

Don't read this new guys
The reason Zhaan's actress left was that the show was literally killing her. Her kidneys were shutting down from all the makeup she had to wear all the time, thats why she wears less revealing outfits as time goes on as well.

On top of that apparently she also wanted to have eyebrows and hair again after three seasons of having to shave them off.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Actresses are such divas.

I miss my hair!

I keep getting dirt in my eyes!

I want to stay off dialysis!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Considering most Farscape aliens involved massive amounts of body paint, contacts, and/or weird prosthetics it seems like this should have happened more often really.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've watched the next episode (I, ET following instructions) and I liked it better than the first. Had a bit more of a Star Trek type feel, which is my wheelhouse. Also a lot of Pilot who is fast becoming my favorite character for some reason.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Pilot is one of the most alien aliens in Sci first and he's great

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Kimmalah posted:

Considering most Farscape aliens involved massive amounts of body paint, contacts, and/or weird prosthetics it seems like this should have happened more often really.

There was a similar thing with the Scorpius actor's makeup giving him problems, just skin problems I think, and why there's a change from the last season to the miniseries; it went from many pieces that took a long time to prepare him to like a few that could be quickly put on and taken off.

Regy Rusty posted:

I've watched the next episode (I, ET following instructions) and I liked it better than the first. Had a bit more of a Star Trek type feel, which is my wheelhouse. Also a lot of Pilot who is fast becoming my favorite character for some reason.

I've watched through the series a couple times and I, ET is the first one that comes to mind that I dislike. Beyond the bland, scifi standard plot I remember they had a weird thing going on with the music in that one, like nothing but spooky tones, before they got to their usual standard background music choices.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Pilot is fun because he just lets the crew know in no uncertain terms when they're getting on his nerves with all their requests.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

PlushCow posted:

There was a similar thing with the Scorpius actor's makeup giving him problems, just skin problems I think, and why there's a change from the last season to the miniseries; it went from many pieces that took a long time to prepare him to like a few that could be quickly put on and taken off.

There's also at least one story in the early commentaries about Anthony Simcoe (who played D'Argo) passing out from the heat while filming in full prosthetics in the Australian summer.

Speaking of, sorry I've been absent recently. I got hammered by some medical issues. I should have some more stuff for the thread shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

drat, I hate thinking about actors having to sacrifice their own health and wellbeing to entertain their audience because the props they are wearing are impacting their health.

• Locked thread