Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Octal posted:

Oh my god Roller Coaster Tycoon World is doomed...it's published by Atari. They have been publishing the absolute worst poo poo lately. Like steam greenlight trash level bad.

You can't say this and not give us some examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

FoolyCharged posted:

You can't say this and not give us some examples.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/330210/ -- Asteroids: Outpost
http://store.steampowered.com/app/314850/ -- Haunted House: Cryptic Graves
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275060/ -- Alone in the dark illumination.

Want Jim Sterling reviews?

Haunted House: Cryptic Graves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwkilcQ9kTw
Alone in the Dark Illumination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLogNWdLsq4

Giantbomb reviews: Asteroids Outpost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZEgSnH6Fxw

Three steaming turds. The odds are quite low for the RCT:W being a good game.

Atari has been a horrifying shambling zombie risen from the dead as of late. It's been dead and ressurected so many times that it is now but a shell of the former shell it used to be before it was a shell of what it was.

Octal fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 2, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
These seem like they genuinely are trying to make a great new RCT game. No idea if they can do it, but the blogs seem to be written by someone enthusiastic.

That said, they show VERY little content, and were hesitant to mention that they've changed developers once or twice...

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/category/devblogs/

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Abu Dave posted:

RCT3 is way underrated and great fun. I hope RCT World is good. What happened to Chris Sawyer anyways

RCT3 was a lot of fun, I agree. Not as good as 1/2 but still well worth playing.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Mister Adequate posted:

RCT3 was a lot of fun, I agree. Not as good as 1/2 but still well worth playing.

The best thing about RCT3 was finally being able to ride your rides in first person. The camera didn't always work on my rides but I loved it nonetheless.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

My only issue with RCT3 was that things could get a little comical with npc death being removed from the game.
Being able to import your own music for rides was ballin' though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

That said, they show VERY little content, and were hesitant to mention that they've changed developers once or twice...
Yeah, it's not going to be good. If they're not showing much it's because they know it's not. :cripes:

Changing devs a couple of times is a bad sign as well. Among other things it means they're not using good studios. It's going to be poo poo and they're very likely to just attempt to cash in and regain as much money as possible because they deem it a better (cheaper) solution than to fix it and make it good.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

My secret gaming shame is that I never build my own coasters in RCT :( Apart from the classic "Shuttle to Hell" launch ramp coasters, I've never figured out how to make a coaster that doesn't break the bank, and isn't too intense.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

My secret gaming shame is that I never build my own coasters in RCT :( Apart from the classic "Shuttle to Hell" launch ramp coasters, I've never figured out how to make a coaster that doesn't break the bank, and isn't too intense.

I used to make my own back in the day but never got them all that good. These days I only use presets.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Bank all of the turns and avoid turning at high speeds. Also, while super huge drops are dank, after a certain point the game really shits on them because of the vertical g's required to pull out of the dive.

Also, the game assumes the guests aren't me and that placing 5 million inversions is bad or something.

And tunnels. Just like in real life tunnels are a free* cheat for excitement.
*May actually cost more than no tunnels

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thanks for the pointer to OpenRCT! This looks amazing.

I may or may not have spent almost two hours yesterday while exhausted and high on painkillers watching this kid construct meticulous little buildings to put his rides in. It never even occurred to me to do this kind of thing. I am terrible at RCT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN-IJjgQKOE

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He spent most of his starting funds to set up the entrance and one thrill ride. And then had to take loans to set up the second ride, a ferris wheel. :psyduck:

Looks pretty good though.

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 2, 2015

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Poil posted:

He spent most of his starting funds to set up the entrance and one thrill ride. And then had to take loans to set up the second ride, a ferris wheel. :psyduck:

I know! It's hypnotic. Looks amazing though.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the most efficient park is also usually the ugliest

which reminds me, no one's posted this classic yet

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

It's a really good park

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

From now on I am never charging for balloons. Free balloons for everyone.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Alabaster White posted:

Just toggle show heights on tracks on in the settings, build a lift hill to whatever non-ridiculous height, and then create a bunch of subsequent hills of decreasing height by small increments. Put anything but the widest curves at the top of hills rather than at the bottom.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I kinda want to play Theme Park. Would Theme Park chat be okay?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I kinda want to play Theme Park. Would Theme Park chat be okay?

I like Theme Park but it was very much a gateway drug to RCT.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Also, one thing the thread hasn't pointed out is that throwing 4mph brakes before the station will reduce the odds of a crash hitting your park by like 95%

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

FoolyCharged posted:

Also, one thing the thread hasn't pointed out is that throwing 4mph brakes before the station will reduce the odds of a crash hitting your park by like 95%

IIRC (going off of memory from a decade ago) there are full brakes failures too, though they are at least less common than station brake failures. I'm pretty sure if you can make your ride come into the station at <20 mph you'll be protected against a crash if the brakes fail, but I'm really uncertain of that.

also one of the many things I do by pure muscle-memory whenever I revisit one of these games is set coaster inspection times to 10 minutes and assign a single mechanic to its exit to get as much life out of a ride as I can

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The safest way to build coasters is to start them high up and leave the station straight into the main drop because it means you can have the lift hill section at the end of the ride which brings it back up to the station level. Why is this good you ask? Friction means that by the end of the ride you will always need that lift hill section to return to the station platform, which caps out at like 12 mph.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Drone_Fragger posted:

The safest way to build coasters is to start them high up and leave the station straight into the main drop because it means you can have the lift hill section at the end of the ride which brings it back up to the station level. Why is this good you ask? Friction means that by the end of the ride you will always need that lift hill section to return to the station platform, which caps out at like 12 mph.

The problem with this is that you need to make sure the part of the ride leading up to the station needs to be a straightaway with lift chains leading up to it. Even if by that point two train cars colliding wouldn't cause an explosion, if they stall out at that point then when the ride restarts they'll be stuck on the tracks.

That doesn't sound like a huge deal, but the more lift hill chain tiles you have on the coaster, the more expensive maintenance is and the more it needs to be inspected.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

President Ark posted:

The problem with this is that you need to make sure the part of the ride leading up to the station needs to be a straightaway with lift chains leading up to it. Even if by that point two train cars colliding wouldn't cause an explosion, if they stall out at that point then when the ride restarts they'll be stuck on the tracks.

That doesn't sound like a huge deal, but the more lift hill chain tiles you have on the coaster, the more expensive maintenance is and the more it needs to be maintained.

Huh, I actually did not know that maintenance costs were associated with the number of lift hill chains. Also it doesn't matter either way, assumably? You will need the same number of lift hill segments to get the same height drop in either case, it's just if you want them before or after the station?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is it true that if you have no land path connection between two sections of a park, guests are too dumb to use a transport ride to get there? Like if you had an island that you wanted to force people to take a railroad to. I forget all these weird AI quirks.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Love this series ever since I got RCT1 in a box of Lucky Charms. Excited for the Parkitect alpha to release this month and pessimistic for anything Atari will come up with. RCT1 and RCT2 are tied for best for me, RCT1 scenarios are better designed but RCT2 has more stuff to play with. RCT3 is okay but the changes they made to the UI and constructing things just made me frustrated and made me reinstall RCT2 instead. Good to know OpenRCT2 is a thing now.

Also not entirely related but for those that don't know, Prison Architect is a thing from Introversion Software. Scratches that building/management sim itch pretty well. The lead developer, Chris Delay, reminds me a lot of Chris Sawyer, in that they're both british game developers with the first name of Chris, and they have a real intuition for effective game design.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is it true that if you have no land path connection between two sections of a park, guests are too dumb to use a transport ride to get there? Like if you had an island that you wanted to force people to take a railroad to. I forget all these weird AI quirks.

Depends on which game but I think RCT1 they will just ride the transportation ride for the fun of it, and get off at a station at random.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Correct; as far as park guests are concerned, transport rides are just another ride. They're still useful either for A) bilking people out of a steady stream of money on a really low-maintenance ride, or B) putting one with a .10c admission price at the entrance of your park that leads all the way back to the furthest point of your park with a no-entry sign on the entrance to the second station so that people heading for the exit will potentially get onto it and wind up in the back of your park again to hopefully spend more money.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm hoping Frontier's not RCT will be good, I think 3 with the expansions was the best game, it had the best sandbox, which was how I always played 2 and 3 as a kid.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

abraham linksys posted:

This looks like a park designed by some computer that was just told to create the most optimal park with no regard for safety or comfort.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

This looks like a park designed by some computer that was just told to create the most optimal park with no regard for safety or comfort.

It's Kowloon Walled City in amusement park form.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Can anyone recommend some custom scenarios for RCT3? In pack form, ideally.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

njsykora posted:

I like Theme Park but it was very much a gateway drug to RCT.

I tried playing it again via the GoG version (I used to own the one for SNES), but my parks keep failing spectacularly. I'm not sure why I'm failing exactly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

evilmiera posted:

I tried playing it again via the GoG version (I used to own the one for SNES), but my parks keep failing spectacularly. I'm not sure why I'm failing exactly.
That takes me back. I never did figure out how to play properly and I still don't. Placing shops and toilets outside the park and people throwing up all over the place, people being flung out of rides for no apparent reason, the advisor being useless and/or confusing, rides exploding and of course the ride cinematics. :)

But I remember that you had to play on medium difficulty or you weren't allowed to research and get a lot of the fancy stuff or bigger buses with more people.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I never played the original Theme Park, but I liked Sim Theme Park.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-WvZSZpcDM
Oh my god... Video by the same guy who was linked earlier, his second mega park lp of RCT2. Just look at that massive structure he's putting up. :stare:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I like the RCT games but I never have enough money to build the superparks I want to build.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

RBA Starblade posted:

It's Kowloon Walled City in amusement park form.

It looks like it would be the funnest place on the planet to go but you know you there is about a 50% chance of you dying before you left.

I'd still go.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

HopperUK posted:

I may or may not have spent almost two hours yesterday while exhausted and high on painkillers watching this kid construct meticulous little buildings to put his rides in. It never even occurred to me to do this kind of thing. I am terrible at RCT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN-IJjgQKOE

Some of the things people have done with this game are just insane. I can't find it right now, but I remember someone basically recreated the entire Disneyland in RCT2. Looked incredibly impressive, but I'd rather not know how many hours they had to invest for that.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Some of the things people have done with this game are just insane. I can't find it right now, but I remember someone basically recreated the entire Disneyland in RCT2. Looked incredibly impressive, but I'd rather not know how many hours they had to invest for that.

I think that was for RCT1 actually, they recreated the park at different years.

There's also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I never have the patience to build giant structures out of the scenery parts. They all look so cool in scenarios (the giant greenhouse in Atlantis in RCT3!) but it's so much work.