Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Parkitect is getting a DLC expansion. includes new scenery, rides, shops and some other stuff. Will come alongside a free update that has more stuff like On-Ride photos, customizable signs (aka importing images), improved worker zoning, and some improvements to the ride builder.

https://i.imgur.com/F0VqszO.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

gah! my free time!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I wondered why Parkitect seemed to be quite silent for a while. Should be a good one.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

I haven't even finished the absurdly long campaign yet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Parkitect DLC is out now.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

And with the Coaster Anarchy mod you can put turntables and elevators on everything which is a nice surprise. I was expecting those to be bespoke parts which just wouldn't work for any other ride

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I was watching Silvarret's latest video, which is showing off the work of another Parkitect player who did the two mini parks from the Taste of Adventure Trailer (As well as his big, hyper detailed megapark) and I nearly genuinely spat out my drink when Silvarret panned to the parking lot and I spotted this:

Thats my schoolbus! I'm amazed anyone would use my buses, nevermind a super skilled youtube dude used my schoolbus! It even still has the dumb best-I-could-do sphere wheels despite the fact we've now got the extra art shapes. And Silvarret even called my bus cool!

That just made my day :3:

[edit] Apparently Cavy even credited me in one of their videos months ago. Its really cool to see something you made used by others. Definitely helping encourage me to get back into playing, even if their awesome parks are intimidating me a bit, lol.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 21, 2019

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I love Parkitect. It was good when it was first released and has gotten better each patch. It's a worthy successor to Rollercoaster Tycoon.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I prefer Parkitect over Planet Coaster. It is just easier for me to get a handle on it. While Planet Coaster has an immense more amount of customization to get scenery correct, I just don't find it that fun. I'm not going to sit there for hours on a single ride to get the queue done and the scenery all set up so it's perfect. I want to get the ride down, make money, move on to the next ride, worry about scenery to increase profits once I have a steady cashflow. Also so I don't need to put benches and tables absolutely everywhere because somehow a single food stand in a tiny park will have swarms of people descend on it and then leave ignoring my awesome merry-go-round.

Easier for me to work with squares over working with a freeform canvas. Slightly more simple, more fun for me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, and even if you want to get hyper detailed youtubers have proved you total can, especially with a few mods unshackling a few things. Here is an old personal example.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thats one of the best things about Parkitect. It can't get as detailed as PlanCo, but its massively easier and faster to make something that looks good.

It took me a week to make this in PlanCo:

Then a few months later I recreated it in Parkitect in a single evening, and tbh, I think it looks massively better in Parkitect.

Related, I bought the DLC and I wanna get back in, but staring at a blank green canvas is always so hard. Especially with the conflicting desires of wanting to make a pretty, "realistic" park but also wanting to engage in the actual management gameplay. :negative:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, and even if you want to get hyper detailed youtubers have proved you total can, especially with a few mods unshackling a few things. Here is an old personal example.

Related, I bought the DLC and I wanna get back in, but staring at a blank green canvas is always so hard. Especially with the conflicting desires of wanting to make a pretty, "realistic" park but also wanting to engage in the actual management gameplay. :negative:

Go for that sketchy aesthetic of park youd find in small cities. Wild mouse coasters that are only 4 units tall, etc

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Does Parkitect have scenarios like RCT?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Does Parkitect have scenarios like RCT?

Yes it has a full campaign, and the Taste of Adventure DLC even includes new scenarios.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Instead of blank green canvas i wish there was a procedural land generator for this stuff. I want my park to flow around the landscape

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

There is a terrain generator in the scenario editor, but its pretty basic and doesn't put out the most inspiring stuff.

EG:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I'd pay a hefty amount for a parkitect DLC where they pulled an RCT3 and added animals.

Planet Zoo is fun but I need a rollercoaster tearing through my lion habitat and given its performance I'd imagine that's a no-go for the Planet series...

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I am pretty sure that will turn terrible for the lion. Altough, if the coaster gets stuck and the lion jumps on top of it, will make for great news.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

IAmTheRad posted:

I prefer Parkitect over Planet Coaster. It is just easier for me to get a handle on it. While Planet Coaster has an immense more amount of customization to get scenery correct, I just don't find it that fun. I'm not going to sit there for hours on a single ride to get the queue done and the scenery all set up so it's perfect. I want to get the ride down, make money, move on to the next ride, worry about scenery to increase profits once I have a steady cashflow. Also so I don't need to put benches and tables absolutely everywhere because somehow a single food stand in a tiny park will have swarms of people descend on it and then leave ignoring my awesome merry-go-round.

Easier for me to work with squares over working with a freeform canvas. Slightly more simple, more fun for me.

This is exactly how I feel about these games.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
my only beef with parkitect is that it leans a little too hard on the handcrafted decorations, I wish there was a brevy of pre-made stuff (outside of the workshop)

I get the appeal and like the option, but if I wanted to make say a castle for my ride I would have to go around and painstaking build each wall and little detail bit and so on through a list of various items slowly, which leads to my parks usually being stuffed with flower beds and trees in practice.

take rct where such intricate detail wasn't an option, so you got a bunch of parts you were kind of stuck with and if you're not actually looking to handcraft a masterpiece that is way better for the enterprising player.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Same here. Planet Coaster is just too much work for me to be enjoyable as a game. Even the tiniest toilet building feels like an art project that takes 20 minutes to get right. Like, the things you can do with it are amazing, and sometimes I do enjoy Silvarret's timelapses, but I caught a stream of his once and good god, so much work. It's not my jam. Last time I could get into that kind of gameplay was after I broke my shoulder and I was high on painkillers for 2 weeks. I just spent hour after hour in RCT 2 & 3 grtting everything just right and the result was drat impressive. Still pissed I lost those saves.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Yeah, building a toilet in Parkitect is just plop it down and you're done. The food court you might be making the hallway behind them for your haulers to do stuff behind the scenes so that people don't see them and get sad, but it's not like you need to spend 20 minutes just to build the entire food court. Not like you need to worry about making the back fancy. Just wall it off so people can't see it. Not like your workers get mood hits for bad decoration.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

Yeah, building a toilet in Parkitect is just plop it down and you're done. The food court you might be making the hallway behind them for your haulers to do stuff behind the scenes so that people don't see them and get sad, but it's not like you need to spend 20 minutes just to build the entire food court. Not like you need to worry about making the back fancy. Just wall it off so people can't see it. Not like your workers get mood hits for bad decoration.

Yeah, in Planet Coaster I either have to use a premade toilet others made, spend 20 minutes making it look good, or have it look like poo poo. It'll just be a selection of rides and facilities lacking any cohesion. Sure, it might not affect my park in any negative way, but it'll still look like poo poo. In Parkitect on the other hand I can make the toilet look good and fit a theme in a couple of minutes (if I want to) and move on to the next thing. And you can still go pretty nuts in Parkitect to make it look just right if the mood strikes you, but you don't have to for it to look solid.

Like I said, this isn't in any way meant as a criticism or Planet Coaster or the people that enjoy it, it's just not for me.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

also parkitect put the base on sale like a day after the dlc released as opposed to of

gently caress you too!!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gamerofthegame posted:

also parkitect put the base on sale like a day after the dlc released as opposed to of

gently caress you too!!

Did you just buy it yesterday? And on steam?

If so, apply for a refund mentioning the sale as the reason. They're usually pretty good about giving refunds even over the 2 hours window if the game goes on sale a day or two after you buy it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do you guys best cover up the shipping/deliveries building in parkitect? I cant ever cover it fully because half of it is always out of bounds, so I have some weird half building shell that looks like butt when you view it from behind.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

buglord posted:

How do you guys best cover up the shipping/deliveries building in parkitect? I cant ever cover it fully because half of it is always out of bounds, so I have some weird half building shell that looks like butt when you view it from behind.

Big rear end walls and roofs. Not very many good options that I've found if the building is out of bounds.

Also re: Parkitect, I've picked it back up after the DLC release (note: I do not have the DLC) and I'm on the campaign park where the farm is in the middle and there are two different park plots on either side. What's the easiest way to deal with this? Does anyone have tips for efficient and lucrative mini-parks that I can build on either side? For whatever reason this park really bothers me and I keep restarting.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

buglord posted:

just put down some trees and a fence on the nearby path.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

:ohdear:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

*insert Thanos meme*

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Since I was struggling for inspiration dealing with an empty field, I decided to just do one of the scenario parks (but in sandbox mode). Grabbed Biscayne Beach because its always been an interesting one and I figure the harsh space restrictions will force me to be creative.

Built the obligatory Boardwalk Woodie and a Ghost Ride so far, as well as plotted out several potential ride locations.

I'm pretty happy with the Ghost Ride, considering its such a compact 6x7 footprint and also slips under the coaster.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In Parkitect is there any way to invert the Y axis when using the mouse to move/rotate the camera?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Blaziken386 posted:

You know, if there's one thing that would've improved RCT 1, it's a fast forward button. I've got $30,000 in profit and a couple hundred guests more than I need, and I still have half a year left to wait. I'd build more rides, but I'm pretty full up as it is. I know that some of the challenges are more about maintaining a guest count rather than achieving one, but it's kinda boring waiting for the game to realize you've beaten the scenario already.

e:

God drat how you get so good. I squeaked by that level IIRC. Now stuck on the one with 2 giant go kart courses

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dusty Dunes was my favorite level.

Of course, I never bothered going through all the scenarios. I've tried several times but always lost interest.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Somebody call for an ant?

Blaziken386 posted:

You know, if there's one thing that would've improved RCT 1, it's a fast forward button. I've got $30,000 in profit and a couple hundred guests more than I need, and I still have half a year left to wait. I'd build more rides, but I'm pretty full up as it is. I know that some of the challenges are more about maintaining a guest count rather than achieving one, but it's kinda boring waiting for the game to realize you've beaten the scenario already.

e:

Also, rct classic has a speed up option and is a pretty good merging of 1 and 2. If I could merge my phone progress with the steam version I would think about picking it up on PC when it hit a sale.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Seems I'm having an issue with Planet Zoo where the Z button is working to make objects rotate

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

IIRC there are RCT1 scenario packs for RCT2, and OpenRct has a fast forward button or two. It's a good way to go through those games now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
A really good "blank" map that acts good inspiration without the overwhelming feeling of flatgrass is this one on the workshop:

Back to Chapel Town
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1308185040

Most of the land is purchasable, but you have to start out on a smaller plot of land. There's a lot of cool little details too on the map. I'm enjoying it far more than the flatgrass and auto-gened levels.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

ptroll posted:

IIRC there are RCT1 scenario packs for RCT2, and OpenRct has a fast forward button or two. It's a good way to go through those games now.

If you own RCT1, you don't need to grab the scenario packs. OpenRCT2 supports the scenarios from RCT1 natively now. You just need to point the options in the proper direction of RCT1 for it to grab the files it needs to run them. This way they aren't the changed scenarios for RCT2 but rather the exact same scenario from RCT1 including research options, land, decorations. Basically just the RCT1 levels in OpenRCT2 (with the improvements OpenRCT2 has made to the entire game engine).

Which of course also means you can just finish a scenario early if you get the goal set without sitting there for 2 years because you already won in the first 4 months.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Seems I'm having an issue with Planet Zoo where the Z button is working to make objects rotate

It's a known error, they've tried to fix it in the last couple of patches but it's a persistent one. Geekism has lots of problems with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IAmTheRad posted:

Which of course also means you can just finish a scenario early if you get the goal set without sitting there for 2 years because you already won in the first 4 months.

This is the one thing about RCT Classic that sucks