Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

E-Tank posted:

And a spaceship.

God's on a tight budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

we're all hosed, just like a cruel god would want, so it seems likely that we've got a v. cruel god to deal with, sort of a roko's basilisk of the past if you will

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

God is more real than any of us hth

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Invalido posted:

Rejected gods are just as imaginary as any idol believed in or worshiped.

I don't believe that is true, I think that they are all reflections of the same ultimate truth, distilled and distorted by people's culture. The God of the old testament is one such reflection. For me, I seek a personal bond with the true God, a being of ultimate knowledge. You have to leave your empiricism at the door. Finding God is about letting your spirit guide you. I think Its about personal revelation, feeling the holy spirit within you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That sounds kind of like "switch your brain off and then really believe whatever ideas drift into your head."

Which seems... Ill advised?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Commie NedFlanders posted:

:citation needed:

Mandy Thompson posted:

I don't believe that is true, I think that they are all reflections of the same ultimate truth, distilled and distorted by people's culture. The God of the old testament is one such reflection. For me, I seek a personal bond with the true God, a being of ultimate knowledge. You have to leave your empiricism at the door. Finding God is about letting your spirit guide you. I think Its about personal revelation, feeling the holy spirit within you.

:medication needed:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Mandy Thompson posted:

I think you misunderstood my point.
What I meant was that atheists in my experience reject their own strawman of a god. (Strawgod?) Similarly, idolatry could perhaps be described as the ascribing of divine attributes to something other than God (the God of Abraham, that is). I think what you call "distilling and distorting" leads to this, whether it's by a little or a lot.
Either way, you have a situation where an individual chooses to either believe in or reject something that ultimately is more or less a figment of his/her own imagination rather than an objective truth. As for this truth being "ultimate", I think that type of understanding is reserved for prophets and the like, at least as far as any human understanding of God goes. The rest of us have to be ever watchful so we don't get into the whole distorting and distilling, our understanding being flawed/limited/affected by desire/etc.

I agree with you that empiricism is not the most productive way to know God on a personal spiritual level but it is the best way to understand the quantifiable parts of creation, which reasonably ought to reflect at least some aspects of the Creator.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Have you considered the possibility that God exists and doesn't exist at the same time?

Schrödinger's God?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Bro I just ate a whole bag of carrots. I left one out for God to prove he's both real and tough enough to eat a whole bag and he didn't do jack poo poo. Maybe he doesn't like carrots?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
A part of me wishes that there is a God but the rational part of me won't allow it.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

dlr posted:

Agnostic goons: gently caress.

Sounds good to me.

No one knows , the only thing known is my perception for your own assured belief. Besides that it's all a wash.

Quift
May 11, 2012

Invalido posted:

I think you misunderstood my point.
What I meant was that atheists in my experience reject their own strawman of a god. (Strawgod?) Similarly, idolatry could perhaps be described as the ascribing of divine attributes to something other than God (the God of Abraham, that is). I think what you call "distilling and distorting" leads to this, whether it's by a little or a lot.
Either way, you have a situation where an individual chooses to either believe in or reject something that ultimately is more or less a figment of his/her own imagination rather than an objective truth. As for this truth being "ultimate", I think that type of understanding is reserved for prophets and the like, at least as far as any human understanding of God goes. The rest of us have to be ever watchful so we don't get into the whole distorting and distilling, our understanding being flawed/limited/affected by desire/etc.

I agree with you that empiricism is not the most productive way to know God on a personal spiritual level but it is the best way to understand the quantifiable parts of creation, which reasonably ought to reflect at least some aspects of the Creator.

This is a brilliant post. I will follow with my own argument for the existence of God. Me being a life long atheist.

Let us use an example.
As humans we are something bigger taken together than we are as individuals. We exist on a bigger level than ourselves. This has many different meanings. One of the most common meanings is that of the nation. We are all part of a nation.

The nation exists as a series in institutions that we carry through. It can only exist if we exist within it.

Bigger than the nation are the civilizations, which are bigger and older than the nations, whom in turn are bigger and more fluent than the states.

And on top of this you might have the collective consciousness of humanity. Let us call that God.

Did this god create the universein seven days? Of course not. A child would understand that. However this global consciousness has created and continually create how we as humans perceive the universe. In this interpretation god does indeed create our perception o of the universe.

How come? Because of the nature of God. God is all knowing, meaning that god is the sum of our collective knowledge. One of the principal ways that God work is through education and science.

Does this entity have a will of its own? No idea. Do you?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Quift posted:

This is a brilliant post. I will follow with my own argument for the existence of God. Me being a life long atheist.

Let us use an example.
As humans we are something bigger taken together than we are as individuals. We exist on a bigger level than ourselves. This has many different meanings. One of the most common meanings is that of the nation. We are all part of a nation.

The nation exists as a series in institutions that we carry through. It can only exist if we exist within it.

Bigger than the nation are the civilizations, which are bigger and older than the nations, whom in turn are bigger and more fluent than the states.

And on top of this you might have the collective consciousness of humanity. Let us call that God.

Did this god create the universein seven days? Of course not. A child would understand that. However this global consciousness has created and continually create how we as humans perceive the universe. In this interpretation god does indeed create our perception o of the universe.

How come? Because of the nature of God. God is all knowing, meaning that god is the sum of our collective knowledge. One of the principal ways that God work is through education and science.

Does this entity have a will of its own? No idea. Do you?

This amateur theologist makes priests furious!

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

dlr posted:

Agnostic goons: gently caress.

So who are the other agnostic goons and when should we gently caress?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm pretty agnostic about loving goons.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Real question should be "If there is/are deities, does their existence affect you in any way?"

If your answer is "Yes" then good for you! You're probably a poster child for the placebo affect.

If your answer is "No" then good for you! There is no need for you to bother with the question anymore or anyone else's answers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Amergin posted:

Real question should be "If there is/are deities, does their existence affect you in any way?"

If your answer is "Yes" then good for you! You're probably a poster child for the placebo affect.

If your answer is "No" then good for you! There is no need for you to bother with the question anymore or anyone else's answers.

That's somewhat dependent on the specifics of the deity, given that "yes" is a very reasonable answer to most of the gods which people espouse the existence of, because they're all nosy buggers who like taking particular interest in human lives and also like doing weird stuff to humans if they don't meet their personal ideas of how humans should act.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

That's somewhat dependent on the specifics of the deity, given that "yes" is a very reasonable answer to most of the gods which people espouse the existence of, because they're all nosy buggers who like taking particular interest in human lives and also like doing weird stuff to humans if they don't meet their personal ideas of how humans should act.

Maybe you could rephrase the question as "If that/those deities didn't exist, would their absence affect you or your life in any way?"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Amergin posted:

Maybe you could rephrase the question as "If that/those deities didn't exist, would their absence affect you or your life in any way?"

Again, arguably yes, given that if you showed me concrete proof that bible god existed, I might readjust my conception of what constitutes ethical behaviour, given that I would then be under an obligation to ensure people don't spend forever in hell. Whereas currently it is most important to ensure people are happy while they're alive.

I mean personally if bible god existed I'd probably just tell him to gently caress off but even with that in mind, it's a different matter if you're considering other people who may not be OK with everything that entails.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
God went out for a coffee break once the universe cooled off enough to make some stars. We're probably not even supposed to be part of this model, and the whole thing will have to be restarted when it comes back and checks on us.

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009
Because our knowledge of reality will always be limited by the boundaries of our sense experience, and from measurements and instruments deriving from those senses, the question of "god" as an omnipotent entity becomes fundamentally unknowable and thus irrelevant and absurd. To define God then, to me, is to think about God as a metaphor for the information that we can assume is in the universe but is unknowable to us because it cannot be registered by human senses. It is reasonable to assume then that this God exists as an unknown variable of cosmic significance, but that it is otherwise impossible to define. As to whether or not that cosmic variable feels ashamed when it watches us masturbate, I have no idea.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Chewybiteems posted:

Because our knowledge of reality will always be limited by the boundaries of our sense experience, and from measurements and instruments deriving from those senses, the question of "god" as an omnipotent entity becomes fundamentally unknowable and thus irrelevant and absurd. To define God then, to me, is to think about God as a metaphor for the information that we can assume is in the universe but is unknowable to us because it cannot be registered by human senses. It is reasonable to assume then that this God exists as an unknown variable of cosmic significance, but that it is otherwise impossible to define. As to whether or not that cosmic variable feels ashamed when it watches us masturbate, I have no idea.

I really like this post.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

God of the gaps as a literal definition of god is certainly novel, I suppose.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Amergin posted:

I guess there's no need to bother with the Islamic State's answers to that question, then.

Amergin on ISIS: "I needn't bother."

Quift
May 11, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Again, arguably yes, given that if you showed me concrete proof that bible god existed, I might readjust my conception of what constitutes ethical behaviour, given that I would then be under an obligation to ensure people don't spend forever in hell. Whereas currently it is most important to ensure people are happy while they're alive.

I mean personally if bible god existed I'd probably just tell him to gently caress off but even with that in mind, it's a different matter if you're considering other people who may not be OK with everything that entails.

While God certainly exist in the Bible hell does not. Hell as well as heaven are just other people. people who will talk about you differently depending on your actions in life.

If you are kind towards others people may use your life as an example of kindness even after your death. This would be heaven. And you might live on as one of who had spread and done God's work. An angel.

If I'm kind I will die, but my essence will live on through other people who will talk nicely about me. I will become an angel.

Jesus is somewhat of a radical claiming that you should find paradise on earth. That is why he doesn't die.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Quift posted:

Jesus is somewhat of a radical claiming that you should find paradise on earth. That is why he doesn't die.

Um I'm pretty sure he died at least once.

Quift
May 11, 2012

Thump! posted:

Um I'm pretty sure he died at least once.

No, of course not. That would mean that he rose up again after having physically died. That's impossible. But if we see it like a Buddhist awakening it is not his body that dies when he accepts God. It is his individuality that he surrenders to achieve enlightenment. Meaning a union with God.

One can only achieve this by accepting ones sins and forgiving one self. As well as the sins of your fellow men.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

I guess there's no need to bother with the Islamic State's answers to that question, then.

Amergin on ISIS: "I needn't bother."

At least he's consistent.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Quift posted:

No, let us call it the collective consciousness of humanity.

Now we can talk about it clearly without conflating it with a mish mash of other ill-defined definitions and sinking into a quagmire of false equivocation.

quote:

Did this god create the universe in seven days? Of course not. A child would understand that.

Wrong, that's a commonly held belief among religious adults.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I believe in the gods and their power and that they died for us and we carry on their legacy.

I also know the gods never really existed, but I don't think that's particularly relevant to whether or not one chooses to believe in them.

People believe lots of things they know aren't true, I think it's pretty immature to confuse belief and truth. Beliefs are contexts you operate in because they grant purpose, allow you to weight the morality of behaviour, and provide bonding opportunities. Truths are facts about how the world works you can use to pursue those purposes and guide you towards success and understanding.

Beliefs are fictions, but we all have them, and we all feel they are important. Human rights, the rule of law, justice, revenge, family, the good of the species, right and wrong, good and bad - all of these are beliefs that are factually baseless, and all of them in fact often contradict the facts. We believe them and things like them anyway, because we are humans, and the things humans do is wrap their actions and the world around them in stories that let them shape patterns and extract meaning.

Science itself, or at least the thing that drives it (that knowledge is valuable and meaningful and matters) is a trivially false proposition, even if it's aim is to reveal truths. Yet you don't see many people complaining about a belief in science.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 1, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Can god write an holy book so preposterous that not even he could believe it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quift posted:

No, of course not. That would mean that he rose up again after having physically died. That's impossible. But if we see it like a Buddhist awakening it is not his body that dies when he accepts God. It is his individuality that he surrenders to achieve enlightenment. Meaning a union with God.

One can only achieve this by accepting ones sins and forgiving one self. As well as the sins of your fellow men.

If you're going to complain that the bible isn't realistic then I don't think there's a great deal of reason to pay attention to it at all.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Literally none of the things you list are counter-factual, they are simply preferences. I preference the set of 'good' over 'bad', yet neither has any basis in actually existing reality. That doesn't mean it's counterfactual, it just means I'm a subject with a subjective set of desires, which I seek to satisfy. A statement of value by it's nature cannot contain any information/facts, true or false.

So a belief in a value is different to a belief in a fact - to express belief in a value is to simply express a value, but to express a (true or false) fact is to express a theory that can be tested.

Religions, and all ideologies (of which religions are a subset) contain both types of beliefs. If there is value in religion, it is purely in the value-beliefs, not the fact-beliefs.

The ideology with the best of both worlds is, of course, Marxism-Leninism, which rejects the existence of god. Thread over.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
There is no God because he would have already killed us off and tried again with a newer, better species. Because we are straight up garbage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Science itself, or at least the thing that drives it (that knowledge is valuable and meaningful and matters) is a trivially false proposition, even if it's aim is to reveal truths. Yet you don't see many people complaining about a belief in science.

....what?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The belief that science is worth doing has no basis in fact, or at least not in facts that aren't derived from beliefs which themselves have no basis in fact.

rudatron posted:

I preference the set of 'good' over 'bad', yet neither has any basis in actually existing reality.
So a belief in a value is different to a belief in a fact - to express belief in a value is to simply express a value, but to express a (true or false) fact is to express a theory that can be tested.
Religions, and all ideologies (of which religions are a subset) contain both types of beliefs. If there is value in religion, it is purely in the value-beliefs, not the fact-beliefs.

Wait, so do you see the existence of good and evil as a value-belief or a fact-belief?

But yeah, I agree, fact-beliefs are dumb, stick to knowing for facts and beliefs for values is what I think, even if those beliefs are beliefs about the state of the world.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 1, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

accidental double post

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

The belief that science is worth doing has no basis in fact, or at least not in facts that aren't derived from beliefs which themselves have no basis in fact.

Well, yes, but neither does anything we do, including the option of lying still and waiting to die.

I'm not sure humans not being connected to a source of absolute truth is a terribly significant argument given that it would get in the way of everything ever if you considered it a stumbling block.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

MeLKoR posted:

Can god write an holy book so preposterous that not even he could believe it?

L Ron Hubbard didn't really believe what he wrote, did he?

L Ron is god, wrap it up Christianailures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Good/Evil are 100% value-beliefs - specifically, they are related to different set of human desires. Social desires (avoiding shame/guilt, empathy/sympathy) are generally seen as good, and anti-social desires (pure self-interest, greed, vanity) are generally seen as evil, yet people will at various times indulge in both.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 1, 2015

• Locked thread