Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Bluddwolf posted:

In both Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms there are plenty of Independent cities and towns (hamlets), however there are few that I would consider as "Sanctuary Cities", open to illegals, criminals or unwanted ethnic or racial groups. One such example is Ten Towns, who was open to Drittz Do'Urden (a Drow), who would normally be shunned or even hunted down in most other settlements.

The fundamental issue with "sanctuary cities" - and other libertarian utopias - is that it only works so long as the "right people" take advantage of it. It's great when it's inhabited solely by streetwise Robin Hoods with a heart of gold, but not so much when it's ruled by slasher gangs that have no law to fear. Ten Towns turns into Rapture pretty quickly.

Bluddwolf posted:

What alignment would be best attributed to a Sancuary City? - this question is the most confusing to me to answer. Since a sanctuary policy is lawful in nature, it being a policy that is followed. However, it is open a supports freedom, which tends to be more chaotic. The suspension of judgement, is not either good or evil, so clearly any Sanctualry City would have "Neutrality" as a component of its alignment. I'm debating between LN, N and CN.

Any particular "Sanctuary City" could vary as to its adherence to law, but on the whole I'd say that a place like Ten Towns would be Neutral, whereas Rapture would be Chaotic Neutral, and Ankh Morpork would be Lawful Neutral.

quote:

As always I like to tie my gaming discussion and debate issues to real world locations or events, so: What alignment would the city of San Francisco be? Not just based on its Sanctuary status, but maybe with other considerations as well.

San Francisco would be Lawful Good, as would most real-world cities in the world. They're generally run by people who have the positive interests of the majority in mind, with an eye toward law and order, and the class/race/gender/etc. issues of modern politics wouldn't enter into it. The closest thing we have to "sanctuary cities" would either be something like an outlaw town (such as Hole-in-the-Wall in Wyoming, which was run by cowboy outlaws) or a UN refugee camp (which are often dominated by local warlords). If they don't break up themselves due to the lack of law and order, then they end up getting invaded by outsiders who are tired of being raided by pirates/thugs/what-have-you.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

paragon1 posted:

To a certain degree, certainly. And that's fine. Not murdering a Drow for worshiping their evil spider goddess is one thing, but that doesn't mean you're gonna let demon gangs run through the streets murdering everyone just because that's the culture in the Abyss.

It should probably be noted that since Drow culture is nominally predicated on worshiping a demon queen through evil and violence, that's a mighty fine line that you're drawing there.

I mean this kind of thing obviously has limited real-world application, since D&D-type fantasy openly embraces concepts like inherent racial behavioral traits, and broad stereotypes that would be uniformly rejected if they were applied in the modern-day. Earth doesn't have evil creatures that are born with the intent to destroy all that is good, and our philosophic structures generally reflect that.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 28, 2015

• Locked thread