Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

The cutting method isn't going to have much of an effect because, as you noticed, the metal has a "natural" curve to it. That means you need to stretch the inner surface of your squares to match the outer surface. In order to do that, you have to actually stretch it slightly past the point of flatness. So, compressing it under a heavy thing won't work very well necessarily. With sheet metal, I'd suggest using something called a slip roller to introduce a complementary but opposite curve to the metal. However, since you're working with such lightweight stuff, you might be able to use some kind of pasta roller?

Regardless, you should definitely do the flattening before you do the cutting. It'll reduce how much time you spend handling the metal, and you might find that the punch and scissors only introduce warping into the very edge, which is way easier to manage.

edit: er, I mean after you cut the top and bottom off the can, obviously. I'm thinking of going from a curvy rectangle of metal to a nice flat one, then cutting it into nice squares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread