Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

This is going to be incredible, I can feel it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
I'm going to be so sad if this is the last of the show, because this is brilliant.

Edit: God, I'm going to miss AJ.

Jax-Guy1 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 2, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
AJ liked this suggestion too much.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Please bring this show back.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

:tviv:

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

IT'S A FIVE STAR SYSTEM drat IT

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Awww, AJ is gonna be hosting the show in a hypothetical third season. Six stars for everything! :3:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Brock Samson posted:

IT'S A FIVE STAR SYSTEM drat IT

Did you learn nothing from the cult review?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
So assuming they survived I guess this means Forrest is a fugitive since he won't be making any court dates for his murder review. His conspiracy wall needed more yarn and push pins in my opinion.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
What a season, holy poo poo.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

So sad this season is over but holy poo poo was it good.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I kind of hope it doesn't get picked up, just because Review having essentially the same ending as Hannibal is too perfect.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nameless Pete posted:

I kind of hope it doesn't get picked up, just because Review having essentially the same ending as Hannibal is too perfect.

Hahahahaha holy poo poo

I wonder if the twitter is going dark while he is missing

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
The AV Club review pointed out that they did some really nice foreshadowing in the season premiere:

quote:

Review’s finale calls back to a tiny moment in the season two premiere. During Forrest’s word-recognition tests after his long coma, Marisa holds up a flashcard of an idyllic-looking scene. “Conspiracy,” Forrest says. She corrects him gently: “Bridge.”

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/review-reveals-shows-true-villain-conspiracy-theor-225998

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Superb finale. I was almost sure that there was going to be a hint that AJ was behind a grand conspiracy in the end.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Eel hovercraft posted:

What a season, holy poo poo.
I almost don't want it to come back now because that ending was perfect in every way.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Illinois Smith posted:

I almost don't want it to come back now because that ending was perfect in every way.

It was amazing, but I'll always want more Review. It's probably too much to ask, but it'd be nice to see Forrest leave the show and achieve some kind of happiness.

End it with the show "continuing" with a new famous comedian at the helm. Maybe you can have an ending montage of him always getting happy reviews. What's it like to eat a $100 meal? What's it like to vacation in Paris? Etc. Bonus points if he's just a super depressed or mopey guy and not really enjoying the fun at all.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Didn't expect Review and Hannibal to have identical endings, but it feels right.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

EL BROMANCE posted:

Superb finale. I was almost sure that there was going to be a hint that AJ was behind a grand conspiracy in the end.

I definitely thought they would have some little hints that Forrest's theory was basically correct.

When Forrest left Suzanne's mother's house I was seriously expecting that the scene would continue with her mother coming downstairs, and it would be the woman who asked for a review of murder. I don't know why I thought that other than Forrest playing that review over and over and Jessica St. Clair really hitting the line about her mother being asleep upstairs.

I also was thinking that we'd find out Grant *knew* Gretchen or something, because the photo they showed of Grant at the end had him standing with his right arm around someone who was cropped out, and the photo of Gretchen has the right arm of someone cropped out wrapped around her. I went back to check and the backgrounds of the two photos are different.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man this was a good season. Didn't quite reach the gold standard of the first half of s1 (outside of individual moments like little person) but definitely as good as the second half at least.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While Forrest is wrong about the Gretchen thing I do think he is right about Grant deliberately picking dangerous reviews. We've seen how much he manipulates Forrest into doing stupid things for the show and he isn't very moral (his statement about how Forrest should "not" kill a person or the first season bit about road rage where he covered up the guy driving off a cliff.)

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
I kinda want a blu-ray collection of this show.

Seriously that finale was top notch.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

anotherone posted:

I definitely thought they would have some little hints that Forrest's theory was basically correct.

When Forrest left Suzanne's mother's house I was seriously expecting that the scene would continue with her mother coming downstairs, and it would be the woman who asked for a review of murder. I don't know why I thought that other than Forrest playing that review over and over and Jessica St. Clair really hitting the line about her mother being asleep upstairs.

I also was thinking that we'd find out Grant *knew* Gretchen or something, because the photo they showed of Grant at the end had him standing with his right arm around someone who was cropped out, and the photo of Gretchen has the right arm of someone cropped out wrapped around her. I went back to check and the backgrounds of the two photos are different.

Pretty drat sure we saw Suzanne's mom when Forrest showed up to her father's birthday to give him the ticket to the grave space.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
This season was amazing and the finale was incredible. This show has been criminally underwatched

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Grant turning Forrest around so the camera could get him crying was great. I love how he's just a heartless producer who's getting mega rich off of Review.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Well, that's a convenient out in case Comedy Central doesn't decide to pick up Review for a third season. Part of me wants to see this end on a high note, because that might have been the best season of TV I've ever seen. It's amazing how far Forrest sank as it progressed while still staying funny as hell. But if any show can stay great after that, it's this one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I want at least one episode of AJ's Review. On the one hand she's more flexible than Forrest and a little more down to Earth, on the other hand the show seems geared to destroy people.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd like to see the show destroy AJ in the same way it did to Forrest. Just to kind of give some hope that it wasn't all is fault.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I don't think it's possible for anyone else to ruin themselves as thoroughly as Forrest did - it was all his fault.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Ithle01 posted:

I don't think it's possible for anyone else to ruin themselves as thoroughly as Forrest did - it was all his fault.

It feels to me like it was two sides. Forrest is literal and inflexible and brings much of it on himself for that reason. But Grant, the interns, and the show itself seem to actively push Forrest in the worst possible direction.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
This show did a very admirable thing through the premise of 'character completely ruins their life through bad choices'.

I remember watching The Increasingly Bad Decisions of Todd Margret, David Crosses thing, and was actually mad at the show towards the end for being so god drat pessimistic. When he directly murdered the main love interest of the show, I was done with it. It was unnecessary, dumb, and kinda pointlessly cruel. You can do those things (Rick & Morty), but it makes for really unsatisfactory storytelling if it isn't for some greater purpose.

Review managed to make it's hero awfully faulty while still keeping some downright admirable qualities. They made a really tight knit world with only a few main characters, and yet they really held onto Forrest's integrity. Even in his worst moments, you couldn't hate him, it was clear where he's coming from and why he's doing what he's doing.

Solid characterization and writing go a long way. And I'm really happy to see Review really nail the landing here.

This would make a great series finale, but the writers have my confidence at this point, so I'll be checking in if they do manage to put together a 3rd season. Afterall, now that he has nothing to lose, maybe we could see a rebuilding ark?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Eel hovercraft posted:

The AV Club review pointed out that they did some really nice foreshadowing in the season premiere:

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/review-reveals-shows-true-villain-conspiracy-theor-225998

The little details really make this show. I just noticed the award on his desk:

Los Angeles County Review Guild
Presents
Forrest Mac Neil
Reviewer of the Year

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 3, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

EatinCake posted:

This show did a very admirable thing through the premise of 'character completely ruins their life through bad choices'.

I remember watching The Increasingly Bad Decisions of Todd Margret, David Crosses thing, and was actually mad at the show towards the end for being so god drat pessimistic. When he directly murdered the main love interest of the show, I was done with it. It was unnecessary, dumb, and kinda pointlessly cruel. You can do those things (Rick & Morty), but it makes for really unsatisfactory storytelling if it isn't for some greater purpose.

Review managed to make it's hero awfully faulty while still keeping some downright admirable qualities. They made a really tight knit world with only a few main characters, and yet they really held onto Forrest's integrity. Even in his worst moments, you couldn't hate him, it was clear where he's coming from and why he's doing what he's doing.

Solid characterization and writing go a long way. And I'm really happy to see Review really nail the landing here.

This would make a great series finale, but the writers have my confidence at this point, so I'll be checking in if they do manage to put together a 3rd season. Afterall, now that he has nothing to lose, maybe we could see a rebuilding ark?

One to bring him to the 5 stars?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

It feels to me like it was two sides. Forrest is literal and inflexible and brings much of it on himself for that reason. But Grant, the interns, and the show itself seem to actively push Forrest in the worst possible direction.

Grant definitely pushes him in the worst direction possible, but Forrest is the one who goes catfishing for his ex-wife, buries himself alive with no one to rescue him, and gets into fist fights with heavily armed strangers, Every awful event could have been solved with the least amount of pain and suffering but Forrest is so fixated on self-destruction that he can't do anything else.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I really love Urbaniak's Grant, but I think it would be a such a Review thing to do if Forrest returned, but Grant was confirmed dead and he had a new producer. Like, he killed the last guy who ran the show, but sure give him that hosting gig back!

I'd dig A.J. hosting the first episode of a new season, stumbling on a homeless Forrest, and squealing in delight while Forrest just belts out a loud "NOOOOOO."

It's a testament to the quality of this show that they put together a perfectly good series finale, but I know in my heart they can do better. They can go even darker and funnier than Forrest sending himself and Grant hurtling over a bridge to their presumed death. I just really hope I get the chance to see them top this, because I'm 100% convinced they can.

Oh, and one last thought. Isn't Grant's statement that the show is really all about people are asking him to review really tough or difficult life circumstances so they can know what it's like (I'm paraphrasing) provably false? I mean, he's been asked to do innocent stuff like eat ice cream and procrastinate too.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I always assumed that Grant was the Devil had a deep understanding of how Forrest would react which made it easy to manipulate him and predict how he would turn even "nice" things ugly; Grant might not have known that getting into a fist-fight would end with Forrest being shot, but it was always going to end poorly - same thing with procrastination.

It was a good show and I will remember it fondly

radlum
May 13, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

When they mentioned that Grant had hired a former military guy to hunt Forrest I thought the reveal would be that the hunter was AJ's boyfriend (I think she mentioned something about her boyfriend being in the army or navy last season?) which would hint at her being part of the conspiracy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

NowonSA posted:

Oh, and one last thought. Isn't Grant's statement that the show is really all about people are asking him to review really tough or difficult life circumstances so they can know what it's like (I'm paraphrasing) provably false? I mean, he's been asked to do innocent stuff like eat ice cream and procrastinate too.

Uh, it's not a 100% thing, obviously. Most people aren't going to ask for reviews of things they can easily do themselves -- it took a lactose-intolerant person to get him the ice cream review. It makes sense that review requests would tend towards the dangerous or otherwise life-altering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
He said people ask to see reviews of things they can't or won't do for themselves, and those things end up being dangerous more often than not. The entire conspiracy theory bit was amazing though. "What is this a drawing of?"

• Locked thread