Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

quote:

Planned Parenthood has a lot of enemies, and now some are claiming they have hacked the reproductive health service, stealing emails, salted passwords, and employee information.

The Daily Dot talked to one of the people taking credit for the attack, someone using the pseudonym “E” who says they acted as part of a group that calls its “3301.” According to E, the breach is political, and the group intends to publish what it stole.

“Trying to mold an atrocious monstrosity into socially acceptable behaviors is repulsive,” said E. “Obviously what [Planned Parenthood] does is a very ominous practice. It’ll be interesting to see what surfaces when [Planned Parenthood] is stripped naked and exposed to the public.”
Planned Parenthood has always been controversial, but it’s particularly under fire recently. GOP presidential candidates are loudly pushing against Planned Parenthood, with Rand Paul calling to defund it. And after anti-choice activists released secretly-recorded videos of Planned Parenthood employees discussing tissue donation, edited to make the organization look like it was selling fetal body parts, criticism of the organization is more intense than ever.

Planned Parenthood Chief Information Officer Tom Subak told the Daily Dot on Sunday night that the organization did not see any suspicious activity. I have contacted Planned Parenthood and I am waiting to hear back from them to confirm or deny the alleged hack. I’ll update as soon as I know more.

Update 11:46 am: ““We’ve seen the claims around attempts to access our systems. We take security very seriously and are investigating,” Subak told Gizmodo. “Once we have investigated, we may make future statements.”
more here:
http://www.dailydot.com/politics/planned-parenthood-hacked-anti-abortion-3301/

Speaking of repugnant, that is what these "activists" are. It is beyond any dispute that access to a safe and legal abortion and birth control is a human right and to compare it to the holocaust and slavery is supremely offensive. More than that the planned parenthood organization is a critical link in women's health, I've used them, many other women used them, and publishing addresses of employees is tantamount to inviting every authoritarian lunatic to murder them in their homes. But broader than that, it is further evidence of the right's war on women and attempt to roll back our rights in the name of an authoritarian form of masculinity. They want to punish us for having the audacity to have sex, even as we are raped, to force us into the role of a baby making machine but woe to anyone who asks for help after the baby is born.

God help us if they got a list of people who have had abortions or a list of people who have used planned parenthood's services to be presented as women who have had abortions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Is the Daily Dot a credible source? No confirmation on the material or from PP, and some of those quotes are just ridiculous. Sounds like a reporter being taken for a ride.

Edit - Vice is covering it now, no confirmation from PP but that may take time.

Knight fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 27, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

quote:

The hackers say they attempted to deface Planned Parenthood's site or have it redirect to the hacker group's Twitter account. However, they were unable to accomplish this goal because, according to E, Planned Parenthood's website “backend is so terribly configured,” which thwarted their attempts to gain further administration access to the site.

So they couldn't even figure out how to vandalize the site but they got passwords and e-mail? Maybe it would be best to wait for an official statement from PP.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Knight posted:

Is the Daily Dot a credible source? No confirmation on the material or from PP, and some of those quotes are just ridiculous. Sounds like a reporter being taken for a ride.

Yeah that and the "their security was so bad we couldn't do anything" also makes it sound fake. That or a lovely group got paid by Heritage.org or something and put in the lowest amount of effort possible.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"Oh yeah, we way hacked Planned Parenthood and we'll totes provide proof at some point in the future, honest!"

Suuuuuuuure.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

quote:

“Obviously what [Planned Parenthood] does is a very ominous practice. It’ll be interesting to see what surfaces when [Planned Parenthood] is stripped naked and exposed to the public.”

aka, "we got nothing, but want to make it sound like we got something damning" :nallears:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
What difference does it make to these people if other families or individuals have babies or not, if you're so worked up about just go make a dozen babies of your own.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Pope Guilty posted:

"Oh yeah, we way hacked Planned Parenthood and we'll totes provide proof at some point in the future, honest!"

Suuuuuuuure.

The article specifically says that the data has been posted and refuses to post a link.

Al-Saqr posted:

What difference does it make to these people if other families or individuals have babies or not, if you're so worked up about just go make a dozen babies of your own.

Killing fetuses to them is as immoral as killing a one-year-old baby, so it matters to them on a very fundamental level, as an affront to society and the rule of law.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
So here's another article about the hack, this time from Vice, with some more quotes from one of the hackers:

quote:

"Here we are, the social justice warriors, seeking to reclaim some sort of lulz for the years and thousands of dollars that Planned Parenthood have wasted and made harvesting your babies," the group wrote. The hack was originally reported by the Daily Dot.

However, in an encrypted chat, one of the alleged hackers told me that, more than anything, they were simply bored.

"One of our members is 100 percent against abortion, hence the attack…I can't speak on behalf of [the others] because I don't personally know their stance," a person who goes by the name of 'J' and was running the 3301 Twitter account told me. "We're not going to act like we're doing this to help people or that it's for a good cause. The truth is we love to hack, and we will continue to hack until we are caught, or bored."

Also, unlike the Daily Dot, Vice does include a link to the groups website, and it does appear that they have stolen info posted there. So although it might have been a pretty inept hack, I certainly wouldn't say that it simply didn't happen.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Killing fetuses zygotes to them is as immoral as killing a one-year-old baby, so it matters to them on a very fundamental level, as an affront to society and the rule of law.

Fixed that for you.

Where's the quote where they drop the SJW bomb?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

CommieGIR posted:

Fixed that for you.

Where's the quote where they drop the SJW bomb?

http://3301.in/

quote:

Hello, world! We've noticed quite a lot of attention has been diverted to a supposedly malicious organization
known as Planned Parenthood. The actions of this 'federation' are not seen as right in the eyes
of the public. So here we are, the social justice warriors, seeking to reclaim some sort of lulz for
the years and thousands of dollars that Planned Parenthood have wasted and made harvesting your babies

This release would've been much more interesting and ended with a defaced website, however, their version
of CONCRETE5 (their downfall) is extremely outdated and broken, to the point where logging in
is not a possibility. We will include credentials below of accounts whose passwords we have reset.
These will likely be changed fast. If you wish to play around with them, feel free.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:doh: Yeah, I hope some Fed's go hog wild on them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
So basically they got the most minimal of information, are clearly idiots, and just announced themselves to the feds

Oh this will be good

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I couldn't break into the website because of its bad security (lol), so here are some email addresses I totes swear are involved:

obama@whitehouse.gov
fart@butts.net

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So basically they got the most minimal of information, are clearly idiots, and just announced themselves to the feds

Oh this will be good

Looks that way to me as well. I'm going to assume that if there was anything interesting in that database dump they wouldn't be just listing usernames, emails and hashed passwords... which are worthless for just about anything other than identifying Planned Parenthood employees, which I imagine isn't that hard to do in the first place.

That being said, it still could be complete bullshit. I'm not about to try to verify those creds at the bottom but "the site is so broken you can't login" doesn't really pass my bullshit detector. If you have full access to the DB you'd be able to deface it without logging in via the administration panel quite easily.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

I couldn't break into the website because of its bad security (lol), so here are some email addresses I totes swear are involved:

obama@whitehouse.gov
fart@butts.net

Don't worry, I changed all the passwords of affected accounts so that the Sys Admin can more readily identify compromised (if any) accounts.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

down with slavery posted:

Looks that way to me as well. I'm going to assume that if there was anything interesting in that database dump they wouldn't be just listing usernames, emails and hashed passwords... which are worthless for just about anything other than identifying Planned Parenthood employees, which I imagine isn't that hard to do in the first place.

That being said, it still could be complete bullshit. I'm not about to try to verify those creds at the bottom but "the site is so broken you can't login" doesn't really pass my bullshit detector. If you have full access to the DB you'd be able to deface it without logging in via the administration panel quite easily.

Yeah, the whole "its so broken we can't do it" is hilarious and really makes me think we are dealing with actual 15 year olds

EDIT: It also raises the question of, if it were possible to thwart hackers with incompetence, why would anyone bother having good code?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, the whole "its so broken we can't do it" is hilarious and really makes me think we are dealing with actual 15 year olds

"Ted Cruz was arrested today for doing drive by hacks on the Planned Parenthood Website..."

Mel Mudkiper posted:

EDIT: It also raises the question of, if it were possible to thwart hackers with incompetence, why would anyone bother having good code?

"I need you to develop code so badly broken, so full of holes, that any hacker will just shake his head and give up"

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

"Ted Cruz was arrested today for doing drive by hacks on the Planned Parenthood Website..."

"I need you to develop code so badly broken, so full of holes, that any hacker will just shake his head and give up"

Where is my windows ME cd-rom?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The sad thing is the PP "scandal" is 100% purestrain bullshit, but the right eats it up because it fits within their world view. This means that anyone can make up phony crap and claim it was from the leak, so we could see some faked emails because i doubt anything from this hack will be incrimidating.

"Hello Sue, I hoped you enjoyed the garlic featus brains I sent you. I so gosh darn love murdering babies and then eating their flesh, it makes me thank Satan that we work in a place that doesn't just provide us with the unborn but actively seduces young women to give up their future christian soldiers. BTW, HEIL HITLER :) Joan"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

twistedmentat posted:

The sad thing is the PP "scandal" is 100% purestrain bullshit, but the right eats it up because it fits within their world view. This means that anyone can make up phony crap and claim it was from the leak, so we could see some faked emails because i doubt anything from this hack will be incrimidating.

"Hello Sue, I hoped you enjoyed the garlic featus brains I sent you. I so gosh darn love murdering babies and then eating their flesh, it makes me thank Satan that we work in a place that doesn't just provide us with the unborn but actively seduces young women to give up their future christian soldiers. BTW, HEIL HITLER :) Joan"

I thought the Nazis were very much pro-procreation for the master race?

....not unlike evangelicals/quiverfulls... makes you think...

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

quote:

So here we are, the social justice warriors, seeking to reclaim some sort of lulz for the years and thousands of dollars that Planned Parenthood have wasted and made harvesting your babies
Someone pointed this out in the right wing media thread, but there's no way in hell those words came naturally to whoever typed them.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

It's called security through obsolescence. It actually works.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/06/06/security_through_obsolescence/

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

twistedmentat posted:

It has very severe consequences including calls by libertarian Rand Paul, who for a libertarian never saw an attack on women's autonomy he didn't like, to completely defund planned parenthood, which goes a long way in showing that libertarianism is a sham as freedom only applies to property and white guys with money.

It also has consequences of increasing violences towards abortion providers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I would imagine the claims would become "we have personal information on every female hew-mon who received a baby murder at Planned Babycide, you SLUTS" (if in a more ornate phase) at some near term point.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Look what they changed the login credentials to

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BlueBlazer posted:

It's called security through obsolescence. It actually works.

It's effectively one of the reasons Apple products are "safer"

Still a lame-rear end thing for l33t h4x0rz to defend themselves with

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The group that produced the first two videos has now released a third heavily edited video.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I haven't actually watched the videos yet, but how doctored are they on a scale of 1 to the Simpson's gag where you can see the clock hands moving on the wall?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Faustian Bargain posted:

I haven't actually watched the videos yet, but how doctored are they on a scale of 1 to the Simpson's gag where you can see the clock hands moving on the wall?

http://mediamatters.org/research/2015/07/14/attack-on-planned-parenthood-3-deceptive-edits/204419

Like 8 minute edits and cuts between shots.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"Selling fetus parts horrifies me, however throwing the fetus in the trash does not" - nobody ever

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mandy Thompson posted:

It has very severe consequences including calls by libertarian Rand Paul, who for a libertarian never saw an attack on women's autonomy he didn't like, to completely defund planned parenthood, which goes a long way in showing that libertarianism is a sham as freedom only applies to property and white guys with money.

It also has consequences of increasing violences towards abortion providers.

Well, yea, that's why this whole thing is so disturbing, a video that is completely faked, edited and and out and out lie can cause government to attack and defund an organization that does a heck of a lot of good.

It just keeps escalating, as I said in the RWM thread, what is the end game? A faked video of Obama killing and drinking the blood of a white child?

They're like Conspiracy theorists who look at every faked UFO or ghost picture as proof, every triangle as the illuminati.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

One of my friends works at the Denver office that got attacked in the new video. gently caress these guys and gently caress everyone giving them the time of day.

I wish I wasn't between jobs or I'd cut them a huge drat check. Local office is full on volunteers too. I could bug my legislators I guess? I just want to do something because I'm scared as crap right now.

Rebochan fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 28, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
PP has confirmed the Attack:

http://america.aljazeera.com/articl...dium=SocialFlow

quote:

The self-professed "social justice warriors" were referencing secretly recorded videos released earlier this month that showed Planned Parenthood officials discussing ways to perform abortions to preserve fetal tissue for research and the costs involved.|

Its pretty bad when even Al Jazeera is wary of your professed claims.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
So, is the Right aware of all the research confirming that restricting access to abortions does not decrease the number of abortions? Defunding PP will probably lead to more abortions, not fewer, because of all the contraceptives they provide.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

So, is the Right aware of all the research confirming that restricting access to abortions does not decrease the number of abortions? Defunding PP will probably lead to more abortions, not fewer, because of all the contraceptives they provide.

From the crowd that goes on and on about Creationism is a proven science and Climate Change is bunk because :tinfoil:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Decreasing the number of abortions is not their goal. Punishing women who have sex and exercise control over their bodies is their goal.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Decreasing the number of abortions is not their goal. Punishing women who have sex and exercise control over their bodies is their goal.

More or less, out of the sheer number of things pro-lifers could support to protect the sanctity of life always seem to stick to the ones that limit women to the breeding possessions of men

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

More or less, out of the sheer number of things pro-lifers could support to protect the sanctity of life always seem to stick to the ones that limit women to the breeding possessions of men

Reminder that many "pro-lifers" support the death penalty and military adventurism. It's a grossly misleading term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Reminder that many "pro-lifers" support the death penalty and military adventurism. It's a grossly misleading term.

I don't agree with Consistent Life Ethicists but at least they have integrity in their beliefs.

• Locked thread