Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

quote:

Planned Parenthood has a lot of enemies, and now some are claiming they have hacked the reproductive health service, stealing emails, salted passwords, and employee information.

The Daily Dot talked to one of the people taking credit for the attack, someone using the pseudonym “E” who says they acted as part of a group that calls its “3301.” According to E, the breach is political, and the group intends to publish what it stole.

“Trying to mold an atrocious monstrosity into socially acceptable behaviors is repulsive,” said E. “Obviously what [Planned Parenthood] does is a very ominous practice. It’ll be interesting to see what surfaces when [Planned Parenthood] is stripped naked and exposed to the public.”
Planned Parenthood has always been controversial, but it’s particularly under fire recently. GOP presidential candidates are loudly pushing against Planned Parenthood, with Rand Paul calling to defund it. And after anti-choice activists released secretly-recorded videos of Planned Parenthood employees discussing tissue donation, edited to make the organization look like it was selling fetal body parts, criticism of the organization is more intense than ever.

Planned Parenthood Chief Information Officer Tom Subak told the Daily Dot on Sunday night that the organization did not see any suspicious activity. I have contacted Planned Parenthood and I am waiting to hear back from them to confirm or deny the alleged hack. I’ll update as soon as I know more.

Update 11:46 am: ““We’ve seen the claims around attempts to access our systems. We take security very seriously and are investigating,” Subak told Gizmodo. “Once we have investigated, we may make future statements.”
more here:
http://www.dailydot.com/politics/planned-parenthood-hacked-anti-abortion-3301/

Speaking of repugnant, that is what these "activists" are. It is beyond any dispute that access to a safe and legal abortion and birth control is a human right and to compare it to the holocaust and slavery is supremely offensive. More than that the planned parenthood organization is a critical link in women's health, I've used them, many other women used them, and publishing addresses of employees is tantamount to inviting every authoritarian lunatic to murder them in their homes. But broader than that, it is further evidence of the right's war on women and attempt to roll back our rights in the name of an authoritarian form of masculinity. They want to punish us for having the audacity to have sex, even as we are raped, to force us into the role of a baby making machine but woe to anyone who asks for help after the baby is born.

God help us if they got a list of people who have had abortions or a list of people who have used planned parenthood's services to be presented as women who have had abortions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

twistedmentat posted:

The sad thing is the PP "scandal" is 100% purestrain bullshit, but the right eats it up because it fits within their world view. This means that anyone can make up phony crap and claim it was from the leak, so we could see some faked emails because i doubt anything from this hack will be incrimidating.

"Hello Sue, I hoped you enjoyed the garlic featus brains I sent you. I so gosh darn love murdering babies and then eating their flesh, it makes me thank Satan that we work in a place that doesn't just provide us with the unborn but actively seduces young women to give up their future christian soldiers. BTW, HEIL HITLER :) Joan"

It has very severe consequences including calls by libertarian Rand Paul, who for a libertarian never saw an attack on women's autonomy he didn't like, to completely defund planned parenthood, which goes a long way in showing that libertarianism is a sham as freedom only applies to property and white guys with money.

It also has consequences of increasing violences towards abortion providers.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Nessus posted:

This is not how they frame their goals to themselves... Though I agree it is the outcome. To them they're supporting a 'traditional way of life.'

A traditional way of life has in the past involved men with multiple wives, men raping women as part of the spoils of war, and post natal infanticide if the baby showed signs of disability

• Locked thread