Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best roar
eyueeeaueerhggh (godzilla)
briiiurghhhh (king ghidora)
eurgh (mothra)
aa aaaaaaaa brrrrr (gamera)
WHERE'S THE NEW REBUILD (eva fans)
View Results

• Locked thread
Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

Also, it got revealed that Godzilla is 118.5m tall this time, 10m taller than American Godzilla

American Godzilla will still be fatter though.

I'm really looking forward to the new Japanese one, but I gotta say that I enjoyed the 2014 one as well. Yeah, the human characters mostly sucked but when I was watching these as a kid I didn't care one bit for anything onscreen that wasn't a monster and I guess I kept that attitude for this one too. It's not like Godzilla ever appeared for more than a few minutes in any of the Japanese films either and there are only ever one or two big set-piece fights, so I think the American film managed to pull off the same thing.

I also liked that a lot of the film was shot from a low perspective just to give an idea of how massive the monsters are, something that they only ever did rarely in the old films (though I do recall them having a few shots like that in the 80's-90's film series).

Godzilla puking fire down the Muto's throat to explode it was also my favorite monster kill of all time outside of the hilariously one-sided fight with Baragon from GMK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I found a pretty good roundtable review podcast about Godzilla films. It's called Kaijusaurus. They're up to Ebirah

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Ebirah's the best.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I was just about to post that lol

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

:eyepop:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

http://shin-godzilla.jp/

They're selling Godzilla vs. Evangelion shirts, but only in Japan :negative:

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 1, 2016

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Nope you can get them state side too. Amiami is taking preorders for them.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Wait, so what is this? I'm seeing some websites saying it's a teaser for an actual Godzilla vs Evangelion movie, but I find that extremely hard to believe (especially since the image and merchandise was revealed on April Fools Day).

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Holy poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hexmage-SA posted:

Wait, so what is this? I'm seeing some websites saying it's a teaser for an actual Godzilla vs Evangelion movie, but I find that extremely hard to believe (especially since the image and merchandise was revealed on April Fools Day).

It's just gonna turn out to be a promo for the Anno directed Godzilla movie but I want it to be real god drat.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sakurazuka posted:

It's just gonna turn out to be a promo for the Anno directed Godzilla movie but I want it to be real god drat.

Well, there will always be the City Shrouded in Shadow game. Though they haven't confirmed Eva in that yet admittedly, just teased it. Ultraman and Godzilla are already confirmed to be in it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh, you want the REAL Promo.. well it's up on YouTube already...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm_XcSM5yVk

It kinda looks like Godzilla himself from the end of Destroyah, unless that's Junior.

Good to see some of the cast from Ultraman Gaia and other kaiju shows showing up in this.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

hooked on Fauxnics posted:

I didn't like the googly eye at first, but then I remembered Godzilla has had a long history of wonky eyeballs, and now I kinda like it.

It's nicely terrifying and stary. This design is turning out great to me; he's this toothy gorgeously nightmarish thing with this slow eerie movement~ there's a lot about him that I would have found specifically terrifying as a little kid. I am so looking forward to this movie

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

His tail is so long; it's like a cat walking through Tokyo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sorry for the (sort of) old news, but here's the new Godzilla figure!

http://news.toyark.com/2016/06/24/sh-monsterarts-godzilla-resurgence-shin-godzilla-details-images-208466

All new look at Shin Godzilla, he's got a hosed up blood mouth and a molten tail

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
He definitely looks zomified. I'm still not sold on the eyes. They're too close to the front and look googly.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder ff Shin is intended to be the start of a new series, or just a one-off.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Word on the street is that Shin breathes a PURPLE flame now. I guess purple is a more threatening color symbolically in Japan?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

so the new godzilla's out

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Choco1980 posted:

Word on the street is that Shin breathes a PURPLE flame now. I guess purple is a more threatening color symbolically in Japan?

I mean, it's otherworldly. Blue gives off the impression of "really hot" and red gives off the impression of "hot" but what does a purple laser give off the impression of? Weird poo poo that's what like eva-01

The reviews/spoilers for Sin Godzilla make me both REALLY curious about watching it and also KIND OF make me think I'd stop watching it partway through from boredom

hooked on Fauxnics
Dec 23, 2013
Kotaku said it was bad which leads me to believe its actually insanely good.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Any kaiju fans with nothing to do this weekend should watch this cool streaming kaijufest:

http://vaughnlive.tv/monsterfest

They just finished showing the US dub of King Kong vs. Godzilla, they are now doing the original Japanese Gorath (you get to see the walrus monster, koo koo ka joob!) which is essentially Japan's take on When Worlds Collide, except they wind up moving THE ENTIRE loving EARTH instead of just saving a few hundred people!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Any kaiju fans with nothing to do this weekend should watch this cool streaming kaijufest:

http://vaughnlive.tv/monsterfest

They just finished showing the US dub of King Kong vs. Godzilla, they are now doing the original Japanese Gorath (you get to see the walrus monster, koo koo ka joob!) which is essentially Japan's take on When Worlds Collide, except they wind up moving THE ENTIRE loving EARTH instead of just saving a few hundred people!

drat, that's a helluva lineup they have. Wish I knew earlier about it

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

http://www.comettv.com/watch-live/

Is now currently streaming the original "Gojira" with English Subtitles. Raymond Burr-less movie makes a little more sense in some places.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The origina Godzilla movie is fantastic, people who haven't seen it should check it out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

so the new godzilla's out

I know it's only been two months but when can I torrent the Japanese blu Ray with fansubs?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shin Godzilla is now in limited release in select markets, saw it on opening night (Tuesday) NYC at the AMC Empire.

It's all English subtitled and is very much written for the Japanese audience. Whenever you see non-Japanese they are often not facing the camera or onscreen for the briefest moments. The US, Russia, China, and UN are portrayed as bullies forcing Japan to accept that Godzilla needs to be taken out with a nuke.

Won't spoil the ending, but suffice to say I always wondered why in Godzilla 1984 they didn't use the same tactic.

Godzilla does not look so threatening at first.. it's sorta cute in its first 'mutation..'

BTW they borrow heavily from the original 1955 movie.. both music, and some sound effects.

I thought there was plenty of kaiju action and the destruction was right up there, visual effects were impressive, angles were superb (expected of Hideki Anno) and.. sometimes you don't need an oxygen destroyer. If you ever saw "Great God Warriors by Hideki Anno on Vimeo, a lot of camera angles and effects seem to be borrowed from that. Especially the very end, where you see things that look like the god warriors stuck in its tail?!

Sei Hiraizumi, who was Officer Chiba in Ultraman Gaia, plays a befuddled replacement Prime Minister in this movie, and Kyusaku Shimada who was Captain Minato, leader of the HEART team from Ultraman Neos plays his second in command. Good to see Ultra series actors getting work.

Have to tell you though.. a *lot* of politics in this movie and you might not be able to stomach it all, but it's probably how the Japanese see the rest of the world.. this movie is parts Homeland, part nerd office/opera, part really bad mystery.

If I have one complaint is that this Godzilla.. well, he's got no personality. He's not catlike, lizard like, rodent-like.. he just.. reacts. G1984 was a lot better in that we saw Godzilla as a thinking, sneaky creature who also just reacts a lot but in a way that's more.. approachable?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 15, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Honestly, I'd say the lack of intelligence on the surface makes him scarier. Like, this isn't something that can be tricked or somehow outthought. This is a pure force of nature that gives zero shits about your city or your lives. This is death in physical form.

Also regarding the reused sounds, that's uh, always a part of Godzilla...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Some more comments on Shin Godzilla..

He used to wreck trains in almost every reboot.. now trains help to defeat him!

Godzilla is not defeated by a deus ex machina.. he's defeated by rational thought and crane dentistry!

A shame we didn't get a new Super-X

Very xenophobic attitude towards the UN.. hey they're trying to help you get rid of Godzilla, don't you want another nuke detonated in your country?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Binary Badger posted:

Very xenophobic attitude towards the UN.. hey they're trying to help you get rid of Godzilla, don't you want another nuke detonated in your country?

I didn't get this impression at all. Especially considering that it takes an international effort to finally take down Godzilla.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You didn't see the new PM fretting over having to allow a nuke to be detonated in Japan? Yes, it takes an international effort but from what I saw a lot of that effort had to be done without the UN's knowledge because they were dead set on the nuke being the only thing that could stop Godzilla, at the cost of making Tokyo a radioactive hell for a few years, which they considered acceptable since there was an "18% chance" Godzilla would eventually do his romp'em stomp'em act in California..

Anyway, here's what some people think we're headed for..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 17, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Binary Badger posted:

You didn't see the new PM fretting over having to allow a nuke to be detonated in Japan?

Yes, I did. How was that "very xenophobic?"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Okay, I'll dial it back to 'not wanting some guys who live 8,000 miles away to decide that it's okay for my country to have a radioactive wasteland where my biggest city used to be so that the same thing doesn't happen to them.'

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 17, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Personally, I think that's a reasonable reaction.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Anyway, here's what some people think we're headed for..

I thought that was explicitly why Legendary bought the rights to Kong? It'll be part 3 for both franchises...

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
Well yeah, there's Godzilla vs Kong coming in 2020.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

I thought that was explicitly why Legendary bought the rights to Kong? It'll be part 3 for both franchises...

I think they're saying Toho will do a Godzilla v Kong next.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I just re-watched the opening credits of Godzilla 2014 and man the rest of the movie should have been more like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooked on Fauxnics
Dec 23, 2013

In Training posted:

I think they're saying Toho will do a Godzilla v Kong next.
All I've heard about the next Toho Godzilla is that it's gonna be written by Urobuchi and directed by the Knights of Sidonia guys

• Locked thread