Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Send an email to your loan company every day. Ask them if they need anything from you, don't wait for them. "Squeaky Wheel gets the oil" and all, make them hate you and want you to go away :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So, I got a hold of the trustee today.

- They're going to submit for a payoff quote, so I don't have to deal with the fact that the lender keeps saying they'll do one then not actually doing it.
- They notified me that Washington State has issued a foreclosure moratorium, so the auction date has been moved to January.

So, I should definitely have my financing settled long before that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Awesome! That's great news dude.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Great to hear!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Awesome news.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah this is great!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Lol, the payoff quote I requested from the lender just got here today.

It's about 20K less than what I was estimating, which means I'm probably pulling out more equity than I strictly need to. I'm trying to decide if I should ultimately ask for a lower mortgage, put whatever extra funds I have after consolidating and paying off all my debt in to the property as improvements, see if I can find some retirement fund that has a higher return than the mortgage rate and sink it in there,....

Interesting problem to have.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would definitely either put the money into improvements, or sock it into an IRA (do you have earned income? If so you should be putting $6k annually into an IRA) or just a brokerage account to invest in index funds for retirement. Check in with the long-term investment and retirement thread in BFC for details.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

On the one hand, the trustee is legally obligated to give me correct information, and I can't see how they could mess up the move of the sale date. On the other hand, I don't want any nasty surprises, so if I don't get that notification letter by Friday I'm going to call the lender and confirm. If things go sideways I have a friend that will loan me what I need to reinstate so I can stop the sale until underwriting completes.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Called the lender on Friday, they confirmed the date has been moved to January, and I just got the certified mail (literally 20 different copies) to that effect, so I think everything's going to be fine now, since my bank is estimating a max of a few weeks for the loan to get out of underwriting.

Next projects are probably going to be inside as it looks like the state is abruptly moving to the 9 month rainy season.

In no particular order:
- replace light fixtures (probably the master bedroom first since the fan has a bad bearing, but most of the fixtures are 2 decades old and the sockets are going bad, plus I don't like the exposed bulb style of most of them, it hurts my eyes)
- New carpet in the master bedroom (while Gizmo was degenerating she had no bladder control and even with a professional cleaner we can't totally eradicate the smell. Besides the carpet is at least 25 years old). I'll be hiring this out since it's way too easy to gently caress up if you're not experienced.
- She was also peeing on the neat lounger we have in the bedroom, so we're going to take it to someone that can refresh furniture so they can take it apart and replace the core that just can't get clean.
- Get the hot tub working and convert to saltwater. I'll probably hire this out as well, I'm sure I could flush and re-fill and even replace the spa pack with out too much difficulty, but converting to saltwater isn't something I want to risk loving up, especially since I want an in-line chlorinator.
- New floor in the sewing room. My partner needs to decide if she wants wood or carpet, if carpet I'll do it when I have someone come in and do the bedroom, if wood/laminate I'm going to pull all of the cabinetry out so I can put leveling compound on the floor and do it right.
- Need to get someone out to put a temporary cover on the shed so it doesn't get worse over the winter months, I'll probably have to wait til spring to get a new roof on and start working on repairing the interior. Replacing the remaining fences will probably have to wait until spring as well.
- New ovens? I'll have the money, so just probably waiting until something that matches what I want shows up at second use.
- Might get around to tearing the front bathroom apart again so I can replace the flooring, we'll see.
- Same for back bathroom.
- I want to replace the secondary water heater with a tankless, we'll see if I get to that or not.
- Replace the stove pipe for the wood burning stove? It's got some visible rust so I don't feel comfortable using the stove. I'm kind of torn, pulling the stove out would reclaim some space in the den, but that would be a lot of work to seal holes and such and I can see where having backup heating could be useful.

I'll probably wait to replace the main roof until I have to, hopefully won't be til a few years from now. I kind of want to replace the exterior siding (there's some spots that are showing some bad age and I really hate the style), but that's pretty expensive. Of course, that would give me the opportunity to replace the remaining old metal frame, single pane windows,....

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Down to two non-functional cars

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
This thread has turned a very happy corner. I can't wait to see the progress.

IT IS WORKING OUT FOR YOU! :D

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

jink posted:

IT IS WORKING OUT FOR YOU! :D

Quoting because as someone who has Brain Problems (Clinical Depression) it's easy for me to see and wallow when things don't go your way, but oh, so hard to see when things do go your way. So, I'm here to say "Hurray! I'm so glad things worked out and you are able to keep on keeping on!"

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So, last night I thought a notary was coming by to do the deed signing to transfer the property in my name.

Turns out, it was to sign the deed, and all the closing documents.

So, we're basically done. There's the 72-hour waiting period for me to back out (which I'm not gonna loving do) and then it looks like the escrow company is going to do the disbursements on the 19th.

So, that's basically it on the mortgage issues, I start making my payments in December. My partner and I are going to set up a joint account shortly; we figure it would be better if we just set up our direct deposit to pull out amounts for monthly household expenses and drop it to a joint and we'll move all the accounts to that and pay bills out of there.

On another note I've spent about $400 in the past few weeks on household stuff, so I'll be making posts about that as stuff arrives and I get them put in.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Hey, those of you that sent money to my gofundme, send me a note so I can refund it. Since everything should be all good now I won't really need it.

Thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Fantastic news!!! Congratulations :3

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

MikeyTsi posted:

Down to two non-functional cars

As someone with more than two non-functional cars, I'm extremely jealous.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Disbursments have been done, and I've got a big loan on my account.

The HeLOC looks to be showing a zero balance now, the lovely lender for the primary mortgage was calling me as late as Thursday, so who knows what the gently caress is going on with them. I sent an update to the escrow company (the sent me a check to close out a named loan I put on the loan application that I had to forward on) and asked to verify if the title is in my name now or if that's still pending with the recording office, if the lender has officially accepted the payment and been removed from the note, etc. I need that stuff verified so I can get a hold of the few utilities that refused to have the account in the name of anyone other than the person on the title so I can have those moved over.

Then need to move over bills to a joint account I'm setting up for that purpose, and I'll need to fill out a new direct deposit form so I can drop money in that for the monthly expenses.

Sent quote requests out for getting the spa maintenance/refit done, I would really like to be able to use that this winter. The primary one says that I'm outside of their service area for repairs (wtf?) and the second (referred by the first) hasn't gotten around to responding yet. loving wth.

I also sent out some quote requests to finally take car of the random assaults we get from sugar ants, I haven't gotten any contacts from the few I did send to, but it looks like some rando got information about it and has been blowing up my phone. Take the loving hint.

I turned on the heater for the first time in about 9 months (Washington had temps drop like 20 degress in a few days) and the tiny felines got TRAUMATISED. They're more or less used to it now though.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So,... I've got two electrical outlets out, one of which we have the microwave plugged in to.

No tripped breakers. Since I'm not sure where this ultimately routes to, I decided to do an audit of the breakers.

There's several breakers in here that I have NOOOO idea where they go (and they're big power ones too), and it looks like lighting/power for like 3 rooms, two of which are the living room and the office/library (which are big draw because the server/drive bay and the Entertainment Center are in there) are on one loving 15A circuit.

Since I'm not a certified electrician I'm going to have to bid someone out to come out and figure out why the gently caress these two outlets don't work, and I'm going to have them do a panel audit so I can figure out where the gently caress these things go and get them labeled. I'm not sure I even want to know what it would cost to get things rewired so it's not stupid.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MikeyTsi posted:

So,... I've got two electrical outlets out, one of which we have the microwave plugged in to.

No tripped breakers. Since I'm not sure where this ultimately routes to, I decided to do an audit of the breakers.

There's several breakers in here that I have NOOOO idea where they go (and they're big power ones too), and it looks like lighting/power for like 3 rooms, two of which are the living room and the office/library (which are big draw because the server/drive bay and the Entertainment Center are in there) are on one loving 15A circuit.

Since I'm not a certified electrician I'm going to have to bid someone out to come out and figure out why the gently caress these two outlets don't work, and I'm going to have them do a panel audit so I can figure out where the gently caress these things go and get them labeled. I'm not sure I even want to know what it would cost to get things rewired so it's not stupid.

You can audit the breakers yourself - plug a radio or something into one outlet, flip everything off until it turns off, repeat. Definitely seems like it would be $$$ to pay someone to do, when all they're going to do is that same process.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

devicenull posted:

You can audit the breakers yourself - plug a radio or something into one outlet, flip everything off until it turns off, repeat. Definitely seems like it would be $$$ to pay someone to do, when all they're going to do is that same process.
I did this and made a map of what socket / switch / appliance connects to what breaker. I just turned all breakers off, plugged in a couple of lamps in each room, and then turned one breaker on. Walked around with a 3-Wire Receptacle Tester ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-G...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds ) and checked every socket, one at a time. It took a while, but I'm glad I did it.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Electricians are just slammed in western WA, you probably won't get a call back for a panel audit. The posters above had good suggestions, it goes even quicker if you can get your partner to help out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If it can wait till I'm out there next for working on our property (probably in the next month or two?) I'll see if I can spare some time to swing by.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

You guys are assuming I didn't already do that. There are literally several breakers where I flip them and nothing noticeable happens. I know one of them goes to the hot tub, but since that's not working I can't verify that really without having something I can clamp on the line. One "probably" goes to the electric water heater, but again, same problem, nothing to plug in.

I'm sure I can get someone out to repair the two outlets that are out, and since they're there they can figure out what these unknown circuits are for.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LHJSY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SkjOFbBKDS203?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

These are pretty cool. You can plug them into an outlet and use the other probe to see which breaker it's on. It probably won't help with everything, but it's a start for mapping out the house.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

In this case, I need to be able to start from the breaker panel and work back, so far it looks like everything goes to something I've mapped with the exception of the hot tub (doesn't work so I've got it disconnected from power) and the electrical water heater, both of which don't have outlets so I'd need one of the sensors that I could wrap around a power wire.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Look under the kitchen sink to see if you have an unused outlet for a garbage disposer/dishwasher. Also look in the attic to see if you have an unused outlet or circuit for an attic fan. Also look on the ceiling of the garage to see if you have an unused outlet for a garage door opener. Lastly, do you possibly have a sump pump under the house?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Look under the kitchen sink to see if you have an unused outlet for a garbage disposer/dishwasher. Also look in the attic to see if you have an unused outlet or circuit for an attic fan. Also look on the ceiling of the garage to see if you have an unused outlet for a garage door opener. Lastly, do you possibly have a sump pump under the house?

I mapped the garbage disposal already, dishwasher and refrigerator are on the same circuit which I've also mapped. I don't have a garage so no outlet there.

The house was converted to sewer many decades ago and I'm pretty sure any electrical that may have been used for that would have been repurposed to one of the additions.

That does bring up what one of them may be though, the dryer was moved to the utility room at one point but the old outlet is still in the original location, I've been meaning to change out that outlet for one I can actually use; that probably goes to one of the "beefier" breakers.

I should build a visio, maybe that'll help people with what I'm working with.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

MikeyTsi posted:

I mapped the garbage disposal already, dishwasher and refrigerator are on the same circuit which I've also mapped. I don't have a garage so no outlet there.

The house was converted to sewer many decades ago and I'm pretty sure any electrical that may have been used for that would have been repurposed to one of the additions.

That does bring up what one of them may be though, the dryer was moved to the utility room at one point but the old outlet is still in the original location, I've been meaning to change out that outlet for one I can actually use; that probably goes to one of the "beefier" breakers.

I should build a visio, maybe that'll help people with what I'm working with.

Is there a spa panel or disconnect by the hot tub? Is there power to that? You should be able to trace one of your 240v circuits to that. Are any of them ground fault protected? Make of panel?

Converting a dryer outlet is not a thing that you would do unless you're going to rewire it as well.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Maksimus54 posted:

Is there a spa panel or disconnect by the hot tub? Is there power to that? You should be able to trace one of your 240v circuits to that. Are any of them ground fault protected? Make of panel?

Converting a dryer outlet is not a thing that you would do unless you're going to rewire it as well.

I mean, the gauge of the wire probably wouldn't matter much if I'm going down, if it's sized for say 30A it'll be fine handling a 20A circuit. I may need to pull a set out if it's running in a pair and I'd probably want to install a breaker of the appropriate size for the load, right?

Here's what I've mapped out so far:

One of these goes to the Hot Tub, I've got two water heaters; one gas and one electric (I know), so I've got one that I'm sure is a water heater and then there should be another circuit going to the other one. There should be a line going to the sheds for electrical out there, the panel indicates one of these might be the exterior flood lamps, and I'm wondering if the exterior power outlets (I have 3) might be on their own circuit as well. Since the heat/lamp/fan for one bathroom is going to a dedicated circuit I'm assuming maybe the other is dedicated as well?

I think I'm going to build a diagram for the house as well, I can map out all the individual electrical and then tag each for what breaker they go to.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, that turned out to be dumb.

Had Elviscat come out today to check out the outlets that are out, turns out that the brain trust that did the wiring decided to route those two outlets through a GFI outlet outside, and it had tripped. Took a good hour for him to figure out that dumb bullshit though. He picked up a new GFI outlet for me, but I'll be changing it out tomorrow as it's too dark now.

While he was at it, he changed out a few shot outlets for me, swapped out a breaker that was rated wrong for the wiring, we identified a few more breakers, he changed out my refrigerator cord, and he fixed the crappy rigged wiring that was done for the hot water dispenser.

Carly made him some macarons and I threw him a few bucks on top of what he bought for parts since he was out here longer and did rather a bit more than I think he was expecting.

ALSO, got confirmation from the trustee that the old lender has finally accepted they've been paid off and their closing out the account. So that bullshit is FINALLY done.

Installed a new shelf in the master bathroom, I'll take some pics and post them.

I think next I want to finally get the oven changed out, but since the suckers are like 200lbs and it's rather a bit off the ground I think it might be best to pay more retail for it so I can have someone else deal with pulling out the old one and installing the new one.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

While he was at it, he changed out a few shot outlets for me, swapped out a breaker that was rated wrong for the wiring, we identified a few more breakers, he changed out my refrigerator cord, and he fixed the crappy rigged wiring that was done for the hot water dispenser.

These many small and important improvements make me :3

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Elviscat sounds like a great dude!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

He really is. Dude has helped me twice now out on the KP. I think he's buttering me up for lumber camp rebuild adventures... Not that I mind :v:

Glad you got the old lender squared away, that's great news!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I don't know how I looked for this thread and missed it.

The Macarons were AMAZING, seriously, thank Carly for me, and thank you for the tip, I was very surprised when I got home, it's much appreciated.

I'm embarrassed it took me so long to figure out that GFI, I'm glad I found that ancient backstabber behind the fridge that fell apart in my hands though.

Did you get that GFI replaced?

E:

kastein posted:

He really is. Dude has helped me twice now out on the KP. I think he's buttering me up for lumber camp rebuild adventures... Not that I mind :v:

"Helped" as in tromped through blackberries and shot the poo poo about cars and houses for a couple hours :v:

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 17, 2020

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Elviscat posted:

I don't know how I looked for this thread and missed it.

The Macarons were AMAZING, seriously, thank Carly for me, and thank you for the tip, I was very surprised when I got home, it's much appreciated.

I'm embarrassed it took me so long to figure out that GFI, I'm glad I found that ancient backstabber behind the fridge that fell apart in my hands though.

Did you get that GFI replaced?

E:

"Helped" as in tromped through blackberries and shot the poo poo about cars and houses for a couple hours :v:

Not yet, unfortunately. I forgot about it on Saturday and Sunday until it was dark again, we were running some errands and doing some other house tasks.

While we're at it, here's an update, we got this done over the weekend:

I wanted larger size display cases, but the size I want are minimum $500/ea, and they're not local so I'd eat another $200 in shipping for each of them. Any larger display items I'll probably just need to put on top. I think I'm going to order another pair of them so I can start getting my Trek ship collectibles in there.

Here's the other thing we did a few weeks ago, put a new shelf set in the master bathroom.

First aligned the paper and got it on the wall, and started putting in the anchors:

This was suuuuper great. Was not thrilled about having to go to the hardware store again.

Got the brackets mounted. I really didn't enjoy these mounts, it was a real pain in the rear end to get the shelves to lock in and get the bottom retaining screws to grab.

And here it is. I'm thinking I should've just gotten two single shelves, the rods between them aren't great, but it'll look worse if I don't have them there. Ah well.

I still need to get the new fixture in the bedroom installed at some point, and I need to install another towel rack in the master bedroom.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You can't beat the detolf price point.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Wood pile is gone.

Now I can get that drat stump out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

"Huh, the bedroom TV isn't turning on, I wonder what's,..."

Oh. Well then.

Also, got another towel bar installed in the bathroom: