Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Live in 1/3 of the house while the rest is being done, gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

Live in 1/3 of the house while the rest is being done, gently caress it.

:agreed:

Especially if you forsee having problems getting another job right away, no sense in pay rent on another place. Just be uncomfortable for a while.

You could be like kastein here and have literal wall-sized holes in your house at any given time.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Definitely thinking about it. I'm at an experience level where it's usually not too difficult for me to find work though.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
What's your profession if you don't mind answering? Mechanic?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

IS/IT professional (Operations/Systems Engineering).

I make computers do things.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd still live in 1/3 of the space, gently caress rent.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I've got three cats, three dogs, and a live-in girlfriend. Trying to handle that in that kind of space for a month (and my medical issues) would probably not be fun.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
You've always got a backyard to camp out in.

Funxion
Nov 30, 2005

This man talks to empty chairs at conventions. Please help this man back to being an idol. Fight Alzheimers!
This is going to be an awesome place once it's finished, or even partially finished. I come late to this thread so I apologize if what I'm about to say is already impracticable/dumb.

Looking at this floorplan however, I'm going to be honest, I'd switch a few things around and actually suggest knocking down a wall or two if that's at all possible.

MikeyTsi posted:

Floorplan!

Note that this is "planned", the master bathroom is actually smaller than in the picture at present.

- Just for purposes of 'niceness' I would switch around where you have your office and library. Or at least mix it up some, that office desk isn't getting much natural light shoved all the way in the back like it is. I don't know how built up it is around there but low sun in the evening is going to make looking at computer monitors there less enjoyable. You also gain a wall for bookcases and have the opportunity to knock out a new window in the south facing wall.
- I'm not going to address the insane love affair America has with having the front door in the living room, there's no solution here really. Start building proper entrances America!
- The bonus room/utility room/living room. This is where I'd really change it up. Get rid if the utility room, combine it with the sewing room, knock down those walls and have a much bigger living space leaving much more room to entertain and live
- Move the window in the kitchen and add one next to it, good morning (sun)light.

Is there really a gap between the kitchen and the little bathroom?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Funxion posted:

- The bonus room/utility room/living room. This is where I'd really change it up. Get rid if the utility room,

Goddamn, dude. A utility room in America is usually where we keep the washer and dryer, furnace/AC unit, water heater, and possibly the electric panel. You usually want that isolated from whatever room you're visiting with guests in, or watching TV in, as the appliances are usually ugly/noisy. It can also be a place to store things, as well. You don't want to tear that wall down, Mr. Gorbachev.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Also, there's a pretty good sized step going down from the living room down to the portion of the house that has the sewing room/utility room/game room/master bedroom. And the walls you're suggesting knocking down are most likely load-bearing.

And I have zero interest in demolishing walls right now.

The window above the sink is really the only place you can really HAVE a window in the kitchen, the rest of the reasonable areas either have cabinets and/or is where the refrigerator is, and it opens out to a covered patio anyway, so you're not going to get much light that way.

The library has more square footage than the office, and also has more wall that bookcases could go on. This is also where I'm going to have my collectibles (okay, okay, toys) displayed; I need the extra space.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Is the office an actual dedicated home business office? It's been a bit since I checked the rules on tax deductions for them but I think they are at least partly based on square footage.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

dreesemonkey posted:

:agreed:

Especially if you forsee having problems getting another job right away, no sense in pay rent on another place. Just be uncomfortable for a while.

You could be like kastein here and have literal wall-sized holes in your house at any given time.

Kastein's house is made of cheese. Swiss cheese.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

Is the office an actual dedicated home business office? It's been a bit since I checked the rules on tax deductions for them but I think they are at least partly based on square footage.

"Office". Meaning where I put my computers and stuff.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Anyway, enough of unrealistic renovations chat, let's go over what we got done this weekend.

MY GIRLFRIEND's step-father has a bug up his rear end to get the flooring removed in the kitchen. I think that there are higher priorities (sewing room, master bedroom), but whatever.

Needed to pull out the fridge, found this on one of the cabinets. I guess I can say that the counters were made using "reclaimed wood"?

This was the "easy" part. The really tedious poo poo now is going to be going along the counters with a saw to get those flush, then I'll replace the vapor barrier, install new MDF, then start laying tile. I think he's coming by again "next week" to start cutting that out.

My mom had some weird kinks.
Seriously though, she has some pretty cool kitchen gadgets that I'll be keeping, I can post some pictures if anyone would like to see those toys.

A view of the kitchen entryway. That wood border up against the hardwood still needs to come out; we're leaving it in-place for now to protect the ends of the boards (although they're going to be replaced anyway so we can lace the wood up to where I want it). Hardwood is going to go up to that line where the green is, and it'll be tile after that for the kitchen.

Rad Norwegian kitchen gadget.

After the kitchen work he decided to stop to make it so we could go through the kitchen items, and demoed out the flooring in the library. This work will probably save me a couple hundred bucks since the contractor won't have to do it.

The gap is PERFECT. Should be able to lay the new floor with it being pretty much completely flush.

(Not pictured) got the refrigerator unplugged and moved out of the way, I opened the doors so it could warm up and I'll be cleaning it to prepare it to be donated. Went through the kitchen and decided what to keep and what to donate and got the donate items boxed up. Did the touch-up painting on the back hallway.

Probably the next job to do is get the walls fixed in the sewing room so we can paint and get the cabinets back in there, then I can get the carpet installation scheduled. Once I can get the cabinets moved that'll free up space in the master bedroom so I can tear out the installed vanity (I don't like the style and we're going to use the space for a dresser for now), get the clothes racks removed from the closet, then paint and get the carpets replaced. I also need to do the touch-up painting in the living room. And I need to keep painting the exterior, but that's going to depend on weather.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

I'm a sucker for kitchen toys. Definitely interested.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

GOT WOOD? (hurr hurr)

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

MikeyTsi posted:

IS/IT professional (Operations/Systems Engineering).

I make computers do things.

If your background is in Linux stuff and you are having trouble finding a new job I might be able to help out. Pretty sure the team I just left, only because I got a job offer I couldn't pass up, is looking for more people. I am on the AI facebook group if you want to reach out(my initials are DC, shouldn't be too hard to find me).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Negromancer posted:

If your background is in Linux stuff and you are having trouble finding a new job I might be able to help out. Pretty sure the team I just left, only because I got a job offer I couldn't pass up, is looking for more people. I am on the AI facebook group if you want to reach out(my initials are DC, shouldn't be too hard to find me).

I used to have a lot of involvement with Linux (RHEL, Fedora, Debian), but my contracts for the last several years have been at Microsoft, so,.....

My contracting company thinks they have a lead for me though, and I'm applying for positions at Amazon, Microsoft, and such, so we'll see what happens.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Time for another update.

I realized that the front closet would have hardwood, so I pulled the door off and pulled up the carpet so that can get refinished with everything else. MY GIRLFRIEND then pulled off some of the wallpaper and we found this:

Since this borders another wall where we definitely have a "urine odor", I'm assuming this is "pet damage". It seems to be solid, so I'm going to cover it with Kilz and hope for the best for now.

got the vanity pulled out, looks like I found more lazy construction there on the floor. I had the immediate thought of "this would be a GREAT time to install a window", but I just don't have the cash or the time for it right now. We're just going to fill it with drywall and I'll install a window later whenever I get around to doing the bathroom renovation.

And finally, WE HAVE FLOOR.

Guy's moving like gangbusters. He just started at like 11:30 this morning and already has completed the repair, put in the bordering between the two rooms, and laid most of the flooring for the room. I'm assuming tomorrow he'll get this finished and will get going on the extension for the living room.

One thing he noticed is that there are far too few nails in the boards, and that's probably why I'm seeing the separation in the floor. To fix it would require basically pulling up all the floors and re-doing them, and I really don't have the time or money for that, so I'm just going to leave it as-is and let him go forward as originally planned.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MikeyTsi posted:

I realized that the front closet would have hardwood, so I pulled the door off and pulled up the carpet so that can get refinished with everything else. MY GIRLFRIEND then pulled off some of the wallpaper and we found this:

Since this borders another wall where we definitely have a "urine odor", I'm assuming this is "pet damage". It seems to be solid, so I'm going to cover it with Kilz and hope for the best for now.

Lemme guess, there was an uncovered litter box in that corner at one point?

I had a cat that would sit in the litter box, and somehow manage to piss on the wall behind it. :argh:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Lemme guess, there was an uncovered litter box in that corner at one point?

I had a cat that would sit in the litter box, and somehow manage to piss on the wall behind it. :argh:

She had cats that were assholes.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

MikeyTsi posted:

She had cats.

Fixed that for you. :classiclol:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

It's that time again.

Start of sanding.

New access panel for under the house, and he installed a header to clean up any gaps.

More sanding.

New coat for the new wood bordering the kitchen and living room. Note the really nice header he put in, should border really well with the tile.

Coat on the guest room.

Access panel.

Library.

Office.

I'm glad that he suggested I go with this oil-based coat instead of what we were originally planning, I really like how this looks as opposed to that finish (which would have basically been clear). I really helps emphasize that "old wood" look.

I expect he'll have this wrapped up by EOD tomorrow, at which point I'll probably let that side of the house "sit" for the two weeks so it cures properly. In that time I need to:

Get the leak in the roof fixed.
Get the sewing room mudded, painted, cabinetry reinstalled, and then get carpet put in.
Get the Master Bedroom painted, remove/reinstall/replace the clothing racks in the closet, remove carpet and have new carpet installed.
Install a door for the sewing room (no cats allowed).
Install a door for the master bathroom (no pooping at night with someone sleeping 20' away with no door, nosiree).
Change the locks so they all have common keys (maybe replace a few doors too).
Get the hot tub fixed/upgraded.
Install cat shelving.

After that,.... TIME TO MOVE.

After move in:
New couch (buying a sectional).
New bed.
New book and display cases for the library.
Run ethernet, cable, phone, etc.
Finish cutting the kitchen flooring, then get the tile installed.
Replace kitchen sink and fixtures, install disposal. (Going to replace the instant hot tap as well with one that works).
Get refrigerator moved back to the correct place so I can have cold water whenever I want. :)
Install new blinds.
Install/paint new molding.
Install better doors on the outbuildings, with locks.
Cut down some trees so they aren't at risk of falling on the roof.
Break out the wood in the back hallway and install tile.
Re-do the bathrooms (finish stripping wallpaper, repaint, probably pull out the fixtures so I can pull up the linoleum and replace with tile).
NEST, or some other remote control climate controller.
Security cameras and such.
Actually get the exterior painted.

This never loving ends now, does it?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hopefully you'll have fewer and fewer posts with "WTF IS THIS poo poo" revelations and more progress like this latest batch. :)

I'll be watching this thread since I figure it's going to go over a lot of the madness I'm going to have to deal with when my wife and I inevitably buy a house.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

Hopefully you'll have fewer and fewer posts with "WTF IS THIS poo poo" revelations and more progress like this latest batch. :)

I'll be watching this thread since I figure it's going to go over a lot of the madness I'm going to have to deal with when my wife and I inevitably buy a house.

Other than discovering random water and "pet" damage, I think I'm probably past the phase of surprises now. Now it's just doing all the work.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

Other than discovering random water and "pet" damage, I think I'm probably past the phase of surprises now. Now it's just doing all the work.

For the locks, I went with kwikset's smartkey locks, as it was easy to get them all to the same key. I've been happy with them. Also, if someone gets their purse stolen, it can be rekeyed a lot faster than by calling a locksmith.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Going back to the Krumkake iron and roller (weird sex toy looking thing), have yourself a very lutheran christmas and make some Krumkake first chance you get!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Going back to the Krumkake iron and roller (weird sex toy looking thing), have yourself a very lutheran christmas and make some Krumkake first chance you get!

There are some non-Lutheran Scandahoovians, dontcha know. But yeah, make some Krumkake. If there's a rosette iron around, make some of those, too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jeherrin posted:

Kastein's house is made of cheese. Swiss cheese.

And Jeeps. Well, parts of Jeeps.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Magnus Praeda posted:

There are some non-Lutheran Scandahoovians, dontcha know. But yeah, make some Krumkake. If there's a rosette iron around, make some of those, too.

I have honestly never met one before. Hello, new groundbreaking experience! Let us lingon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't know about krumkake, but I loooove me some lefse. And it's right about lefse time.

Nice progress on those floors.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Let's see what the floors look like now, shall we?

Library:

Office:

Office Closet:

Guest Room:

Guest Room closet:

Living Room:

Kitchen:

Got the Master Closet cleared out and got started with removing wallpaper:

Trigger warning, water damage:

Looks like I might have a contact that should hopefully be able to get the roof fixed. Once that's done I can replace the two pieces of drywall that make up that damaged section of ceiling, then make sure the walls aren't damaged to the point where I'd have to replace them before getting the paint on. Once I have the room painted I'm going to tear up the carpet and have someone come out to install new carpeting.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Floors like like they came out pretty good! I'm digging the board direction changes on doorway transitions.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Movening has begun, got a few boxes of dvds moved over today and got some of the furniture moved back out in to the house.

Had a contractor check out the leak, he thinks it's getting in where the pipe for the wood stove comes out. He wants to fix that, clean the roof and the gutters, and then repair/replace a few of the vents and such up there that are apparently broken, that should keep things in good shape until Spring or such.

He wants to replace the roof (of course), but it looks like it's got another 5 years before it gets to the "should be" stage.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

To: Michael
12/08/15

Proposal #1208

For: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Roof repair
Scope:
Clean roof and gutters (no plastic roof). $550
Repair roof leak. $650
Replace stove pipe flashing (B-vent). $150
Replace furness pipe flashing (B-vent).$120
Install missed cap for water-heater pipe. $30
Replace jammed roof turbo vent.$150
Inspect all roof for other damages and fix it. $200

$1,850+tax

loving houses, man.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MikeyTsi posted:

To: Michael
12/08/15

Proposal #1208

For: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Roof repair
Scope:
Clean roof and gutters (no plastic roof). $550
Repair roof leak. $650
Replace stove pipe flashing (B-vent). $150
Replace furness pipe flashing (B-vent).$120
Install missed cap for water-heater pipe. $30
Replace jammed roof turbo vent.$150
Inspect all roof for other damages and fix it. $200

$1,850+tax

loving houses, man.

So what is involved with item 1 (clean roof and gutters)? Gutter cleaning should be no problem, I do mine several times per year. What's he doing to the roof that is so much? Just curious.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Fix all other damages for $200? Get an axe and make him earn that $200!

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So what is involved with item 1 (clean roof and gutters)? Gutter cleaning should be no problem, I do mine several times per year. What's he doing to the roof that is so much? Just curious.

Yeah, that seems crazy high to me too. Since the place is only one story gutters are super easy, with a much lower chance of killing yourself than a two story. (Aka the only reason I pay someone to do it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Hackan Slash posted:

Yeah, that seems crazy high to me too. Since the place is only one story gutters are super easy, with a much lower chance of killing yourself than a two story. (Aka the only reason I pay someone to do it)

His insurance doesn't differentiate.