Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop
Generally you can take up to half an inch off the bottom or top of a door to make it fit the frame... So take half an inch off each?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MikeyTsi posted:

Unfortunately, I discovered that while the width of the opening was fine, the height of the doorway is 79" (for those of you that don't know, standard height for interior doors is 80", 82" with frame), so I'll need to buy a custom door. Which will cost almost 4x as much. So, that's going to have to wait for a bit.

In other news, my dad decided to buy me a miter box so I can cut moulding and such (he's also indicated that he wants to buy me a finish nailer for Christmas), so I'll hopefully be going down to Home Depot soon to pick it up. In addition, he's now absolutely certain a mouse is going to come up through the floor in my kitchen and give me hantavirus, so we're going to install vapor barrier and the base wood for the tile on the 19th. I just accepted an offer for a new position, so hopefully I'll be able to get tile installed shortly after that; I'm still debating if I should try my hand at it myself or if I should just hire out to have it done.

Tile is pretty easy to pick up, and the cost savings over a contractor could handily pay for your door. It's like $200 in dedicated stuff if you buy a tile cutter. For a very small tile job you can make the ultra-cheap ones work pretty well. Buy extra tile so you have a lot of spare from the same lot number.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-3-4-HP-Wet-Tile-Saw-with-7-in-Diamond-Blade-22650Q/202615612

Do all mixing and cutting outside next to a hose and the cleanup is actually fairly easy.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

theparag0n posted:

Generally you can take up to half an inch off the bottom or top of a door to make it fit the frame... So take half an inch off each?

I need a prehung door.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Tile is pretty easy to pick up, and the cost savings over a contractor could handily pay for your door. It's like $200 in dedicated stuff if you buy a tile cutter. For a very small tile job you can make the ultra-cheap ones work pretty well. Buy extra tile so you have a lot of spare from the same lot number.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-3-4-HP-Wet-Tile-Saw-with-7-in-Diamond-Blade-22650Q/202615612

Do all mixing and cutting outside next to a hose and the cleanup is actually fairly easy.

My main concern is getting the floor properly flat before laying the tile.

I've actually considered going with the "wood look" tile, I think that might blend well with the rest of the flooring. Does anyone have any experience with that and whether or not that looks like poo poo?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

MikeyTsi posted:

I need a prehung door.

Do you have a circular saw?

Remove door pins, cut off whatever you need from the bottom of the door. Support door frame, cut same amount off the doorframe sides. Reassemble as a slightly shorter pre-hung unit.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
As someone who worked in a door shop here is my two cents. All measurements for hardware are done from the top of the door so you would never want to cut from the top. There is generally a 1in solid strip on sides and top and probably 4in on the bottom of a residential door. If you need to take 1-2in off the height of the door just rip the bottom, you will still have plenty of the bottom rail.

I wouldn't suggest removing any width if the knob hole has already been cut.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

MikeyTsi posted:

so we're going to install vapor barrier and the base wood for the tile on the 19th.

Don't forget to take into account the height of the concrete board (1/4" or 1/2") that'll be on top of the plywood base and the mortar base (1/4" or so) under the tile . Plus another 1/8" or so for the mortar between the concrete board and plywood base.

MikeyTsi posted:

My main concern is getting the floor properly flat before laying the tile.

I've actually considered going with the "wood look" tile, I think that might blend well with the rest of the flooring. Does anyone have any experience with that and whether or not that looks like poo poo?

The flatter the floor the better of course but as you set the tiles in the mortar you'll have some wiggle room to level them.

Tile work, even small jobs, are more arduous than you might expect, at least for me. It can be surprisingly difficult to keep the tiles level and level with each other on all edges as you're, for example, scooping out mortar that's oozing out between the tiles and wiping the excess off the top of the tiles. If the tiles are even slightly off with each other, it'll really be noticeable when you start grouting and you'll end up with the crap you see in the bathrooms at Home Depot

I've seen tile with the wood look, and it looked fine, though it kind of strikes me as a trendy thing that might get old sooner rather than later. I think it looks better in kitchens than bathrooms, but maybe that's just because I'm used to seeing wood flooring in kitchens and not in bathrooms and I can't think outside the box.

A good tiling resource: http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/

socketwrencher fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 3, 2016

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

socketwrencher posted:

Don't forget to take into account the height of the concrete board (1/4" or 1/2") that'll be on top of the plywood base and the mortar base (1/4" or so) under the tile . Plus another 1/8" or so for the mortar between the concrete board and plywood base.

Is it standard to be able to mate tiling to oak flooring without a step? Cause that's what I'm trying to do here, and it looks like I might have 7/8" to work with?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

MikeyTsi posted:

Is it standard to be able to mate tiling to oak flooring without a step? Cause that's what I'm trying to do here, and it looks like I might have 7/8" to work with?

Assuming your subfloor is solid, seems like you're spot-on as 1/4" concrete board + 1/8" mortar under concrete board + 1/4" mortar under tile + 1/4" tile = 7/8". If you're slightly off, there are transition pieces that'll bridge the uneveness.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

socketwrencher posted:

Assuming your subfloor is solid, seems like you're spot-on as 1/4" concrete board + 1/8" mortar under concrete board + 1/4" mortar under tile + 1/4" tile = 7/8". If you're slightly off, there are transition pieces that'll bridge the uneveness.

It's just underlayment though. I'm going to lay a vapor barrier, but can I reasonably just put mortar on that?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

To reiterate, this is roughly what the floor looks like right now (I've removed more of the old vapor barrier, but you get the idea:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

MikeyTsi posted:

To reiterate, this is roughly what the floor looks like right now (I've removed more of the old vapor barrier, but you get the idea:

Strongly recommend putting cement board down. Those boards are gonna expand and contract with seasonal changes. Your tile isn't going to want to expand and contract with them. There will be a fight, feelings will be hurt, and tile will crack.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Slugworth posted:

Strongly recommend putting cement board down. Those boards are gonna expand and contract with seasonal changes. Your tile isn't going to want to expand and contract with them. There will be a fight, feelings will be hurt, and tile will crack.

Agreed. Glue and screw the cement board down and if the floor has flex in it a layer of crack membrane might be a good idea too. (My go-to is Custom Red Gard).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

My dad talked to a flooring guy, and this was the suggestion:

Roofing paper, than OSB then backer board (concrete board). Use thickness that leaves 1/4" for tile. Don't use thinset, use glue and grout for the tile.

We're probably going to use 3/8" plywood sheeting instead of OSB to make it work.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

MikeyTsi posted:

My dad talked to a flooring guy, and this was the suggestion:

Roofing paper, than OSB then backer board (concrete board). Use thickness that leaves 1/4" for tile. Don't use thinset, use glue and grout for the tile.

We're probably going to use 3/8" plywood sheeting instead of OSB to make it work.

Your dad talked to a non-tile flooring guy. Use thinset, and figure 1/2"-5/8" for your tile assuming you're going to use a decent porcelain tile. If you're going cheap (aka home depot <$1.00 per square foot) figure 3/8, you need to take into account your setting material thickness which is generally a heavy 8th of an inch or so.

If your tiles are larger than 16x16 or so, or if you're going with a plank tile larger than 6x24, it would be advantageous to switch to a medium bed mortar.

You can glue them down, but you're going to have cracked grout within a year if you do.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

5/8" seems really thick for tile.

I guess at this point I just need to know what I need to put on top of what's presently there, and how thick it needs to be. It would also be helpful to be something I can walk on until I can get to the point of putting the rest of the work in to it.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

MikeyTsi posted:

5/8" seems really thick for tile.

I guess at this point I just need to know what I need to put on top of what's presently there, and how thick it needs to be. It would also be helpful to be something I can walk on until I can get to the point of putting the rest of the work in to it.

I think it's vapor barrier, 3/8" or 1/2" plywood, unmodified thinset mortar, 1/4" concrete board, Flexbond mortar (Custom Products at HD), tile. The plywood is generally screwed into the existing boards (subfloor), not the joists. When you screw the concrete board into the plywood, use the appropriate screws (Hardibacker, Rock On, etc) and try to stay off it for 24 hours to let the mortar dry.

socketwrencher fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 13, 2016

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

socketwrencher posted:

I think it's vapor barrier, 3/8" or 1/2" plywood, unmodified thinset mortar, 1/4" concrete board, Flexbond mortar (Custom Products at HD), tile. The plywood is generally screwed into the existing boards (subfloor), not the joists. When you screw the concrete board into the plywood, use the appropriate screws (Hardibacker, Rock On, etc) and try to stay off it for 24 hours to let the mortar dry.

I guess my concern there is even if I go with 3/8" plywood, that only gives me 1/4" for two layers of mortar and tile. That doesn't seem like enough space for everything?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

MikeyTsi posted:

I guess my concern there is even if I go with 3/8" plywood, that only gives me 1/4" for two layers of mortar and tile. That doesn't seem like enough space for everything?

Small height differences can be bridged with something like this:

http://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Profiles/For-Floors/Sloped-Transitions/Schluter%C2%AE-RENO-U/p/RENO_U

After a very short time you won't even notice it anymore.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I'm no expert, but I have 1" planking as my subfloor and because height is a concern I'm using 1/2" exterior grade ply, then modified thinset, then Schluter Ditra then unmodified thinset then tile. I think if you do some reading you'll find that putting backerboard over planks is generally not an acceptable method as there will be too much movement (backerboard isn't structural). Just my .02.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

gently caress this subfloor, let's put something on top of it.

Got everything cleaned up (including removing the last of the vapor barrier):

And started laying the new vapor barrier:

Until I ran out. poo poo (bonus "helper" in frame

To be continued.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

MikeyTsi posted:

gently caress this subfloor, let's put something on top of it.

Got everything cleaned up (including removing the last of the vapor barrier):

And started laying the new vapor barrier:

Looking good. If you haven't already, mark the location of the joists on the wall or cabinet toekicks (using blue tape or whatever) before the vapor barrier has the floor completely covered, it might come in handy.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Let's continue, shall we?

Got another roll of vapor barrier, installed, and started cutting and putting down wood:

Finished placement and alignment, and started putting nails in. My father's got a pneumatic nailer, so that went pretty quickly.

Finished installation:

One problem here is that it looks like the cuts when the old linoleum and subfloor were removed weren't done quite right, or things aren't totally square. So I got this gap. Might just see if whomever does the next step can just fill this in.

Bonus tool purchase:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Started scraping that pad poo poo off the floor of the sewing room:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

This loving house: a partial tool inventory.

1 DeWalt electric drill, 1 battery pack, NO CHARGER
1 Black & Decker electric drill, 1 battery pack, NO loving CHARGER
2 (TWO) HItachi drills, 2 battery packs, ONE charger

Did my mom,.... Just lose chargers and then just buy new drills?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MikeyTsi posted:

This loving house: a partial tool inventory.

1 DeWalt electric drill, 1 battery pack, NO CHARGER
1 Black & Decker electric drill, 1 battery pack, NO loving CHARGER
2 (TWO) HItachi drills, 2 battery packs, ONE charger

Did my mom,.... Just lose chargers and then just buy new drills?

Buy another battery and charger for the DeWalt. That's a quality tool there.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Buy another battery and charger for the DeWalt. That's a quality tool there.

The Hitachi hasn't been half bad, that's the one I've been using (since, you know, batteries that I can maintain a charge on).

My dad seems focused on buying me Ryobi tools.

I'm really pissed, a bunch of my tools (and probably my air compressor) appear to have been stolen. I had a full set of Craftsman SAE and Metric tools in 5/8-1/2 internal slot sizes, with standard and deep sockets.

I'll probably just replace the metric ones for now, I don't anticipate working on a car at any point soon that has SAE.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

House projects have stalled for the moment, as I don't have the funds to get the floor going in the kitchen yet, it's too drat cold (and wet) to paint the exterior (since I have paint for that already), and I don't really have the time anyway since I have to get at least one loving car moving under its own power so I don't have to go try to buy some shitbox so I can function as a human being.

I'll keep everyone posted when I have time/money to do something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was just made aware of this thread from a link in AI and I've enjoyed your progress on the house. My father is doing a very similar upgrade on his newly purchased home and I wish I was there more often to chronicle his renovations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

"The Purge" is finally complete.

Before:

After:

Also got that nasty pad on the sewing room floor mostly scraped:

I'll probably give it another once-over, then MY GIRLFRIEND needs to decide what color she wants the walls so we can get it painted, then I'll put the cabinetry back together and get everything leveled. I'll still need to figure out a door then I'll get it carpeted when I have time/money.

I'll paint a tester of my moulding here in a bit so I can make sure it's the color I want.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

The girlfriend picked a color, so we've started painting the sewing room.

Hope to have it done and things back together by next week.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It seems to be some subtle shade of Blue :shobon:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That's gorgeous. I'd really enjoy sewing there.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
dang dude i just read all your posts in this thread. That's a wild ride from death, layoff, restoration, breakup. It seems like you're handling it well and not getting overwhelmed, which is cool.

Also mad props on the purple/green exterior. I once had a game controller I painted almost that exact shade. I thought it was pretty Rad.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

froward posted:

dang dude i just read all your posts in this thread. That's a wild ride from death, layoff, restoration, breakup. It seems like you're handling it well and not getting overwhelmed, which is cool.

Also mad props on the purple/green exterior. I once had a game controller I painted almost that exact shade. I thought it was pretty Rad.

I'm still kind of iffy on how bright that green is, but gently caress it, I already bought the paint and don't want to spend the money on more.

I'm just waiting for the weather to become non-lovely enough on a weekend so I can get out there and finish it.

I think I need to add to my list to run an outlet next to the carport; I've got three exterior right now, but the closest one at present is on the front porch and I'd rather not have to run an extension all the way around the house whenever I want to work on the car.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

It's starting to look rather more like a sewing room again.

I'll need to finish painting the tops of the walls (the girlfriend is rather a bit short to reach), and the people that "helped" originally pull this stuff out did a poo poo job and broke a bunch of stuff (you can see some broken drawers in the pictures), so I'll need to do some repair work.

Also this:

And this:

I've had to shim several pieces already, because of course the floor isn't properly level. I also need to repair the doors for the lazy susans, it looks like they weren't mounted terribly securely and have allowed the doors to shift pretty badly (which is why they're currently off); and I need to repair one of the two wall cabinets and get both of them re-mounted (if I'd been smart I would've done this before I put the floor stuff in place.

I'm planning on moving my fridge this week; I don't anticipate I'll be getting the tiling done any time soon and I want to use the space where it is right now for the bar. That could be entertaining.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

That moment when you hear "blurb,... blurp,.... blooop" coming from one of your toilets,....

From another room.

When no one is using the bathroom.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

MikeyTsi posted:

That moment when you hear "blurb,... blurp,.... blooop" coming from one of your toilets,....

From another room.

When no one is using the bathroom.

stay safe sewage ghost

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:itwaspoo: