Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Haven't y'all heard about the three seashells?

gently caress.
YOU.

The entire loving movie, and they don't even explain how they work. They do the mental programming bullshit, and the laser unfreezing process, and the loving poo poo with Taco Bell and the jingle bullshit and the full-body foam airbags and that lame-rear end VR "sex", but nope, can't come up with some even laughably plausible explanation as to why there's loving seashells in the bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

MikeyTsi posted:

gently caress.
YOU.

The entire loving movie, and they don't even explain how they work. They do the mental programming bullshit, and the laser unfreezing process, and the loving poo poo with Taco Bell and the jingle bullshit and the full-body foam airbags and that lame-rear end VR "sex", but nope, can't come up with some even laughably plausible explanation as to why there's loving seashells in the bathroom.

enhance your calm duder

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Bud K ninja sword posted:

enhance your calm duder

He is calm, just needed some TP.

StinkingWolf
Jul 23, 2001
Morally Bankrupt

MikeyTsi posted:

The entire loving movie, and they don't even explain how they work.

Mystery solved: http://www.thejay.com/wp-content/3seashells.jpg

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

False.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

In non-poop related news, I really need to pull the fridge back out so I can turn the water feed on and make sure it doesn't leak; I'd really like to have ice and cold water since I've actually moved the drat thing where it's supposed to be.

Also, the sucker just BAAARELY fits. Like, scraping on the sides and it has to be perfectly aligned to get in there kind of fits. And you have to pull the fridge pretty much all of the way out of the kitchen to put the shelves in (guess how I learned that)?

I need to grab a ladder so I can get up in the attic in the near future so I can find out where that dripping sound is coming from, and then probably call out anotherr roofer to fix whatever piece has a hole in it again. That should be fun.

I'm hoping that when it's time to replace the roof I'll be able to install solar tiles. That would probably be a pretty awesome upgrade.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Here's what I've been up to for the past few weeks.

Purged the water line for the fridge, hooked it up, replaced the filter, and then purged that system. It now dispenses water, but doesn't make ice. It looks like the unit is bad since the manual test button doesn't work either. I bought another unit off eBay and it should be here next week to install.

Started working on trying to get the drawers in the sewing room together, unfortunately most of the drawer fronts appear to be missing. Also, it's looking like the rails are going to be a pain in the rear end, but that'll have to wait until I can find the missing pieces and get the drawers back together.

Then, this happened:

drat door and frame separated from the cabinet and fell to the ground.

I pulled the door off of the frame, clamped it back together, and have been gluing it back together so I can reinstall.

Then we had some wind, and I discovered this:

I pulled out the nails and put it back together, but it came apart again within 12 hours.

So, that called for something a little more sturdy:

However, the posts on both ends appear to be broken, so I'm going to need to get some pickets or something I can hammer in to the ground to reinforce them until I can start replacing the fence.

Also, this:

Decided that this:

And not having a towel hanger in the master bathroom wasn't acceptable, so picked up these:

Also decided I'd rather have some better warning if my house were to catch fire, so picked up these:

They're not the ones I'd prefer (Nest), but they're also rather less expensive than those, so they'll have to do for now.

Probably some more updates in the next day or two as I effect further repairs and get new stuff installed.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
It's reassuring to know that as lovely as my cabinets look at least they're not falling apart. Good luck with the fence replacement. Those are never fun or easy.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Faerunner posted:

It's reassuring to know that as lovely as my cabinets look at least they're not falling apart. Good luck with the fence replacement. Those are never fun or easy.

It'll be a bit easier with a pneumatic nailer, and it gives me a chance to build it right.

I'll probably have to do it in sections, the sides of the fence (with the exception of a broken post on one side I'll need to replace) are relatively okay, so I'll probably just do the rear section for now and then do the sides later.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Today I learn there is sales tax on labor. Hmmm

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Today I learn there is sales tax on labor. Hmmm

Not everywhere. For instance, Idaho.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

Decided that this:

And not having a towel hanger in the master bathroom wasn't acceptable, so picked up these:
How the hell is this not awesome? My toilet paper roll always end up on the back of the tank or precariously balanced on the old roll because I hate have the spring loaded plunger slip and rocket across the bathroom or full directly behind the toilet forcing me to hug the bowl to retrieve it. Your TP hanger looks like a life saver. . .

But on the topic of bidets, do they have options for different spray patterns or water temperature?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MikeyTsi posted:

gently caress.
YOU.

Well, they were going to explain in the sequel, and

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MikeyTsi posted:

Also decided I'd rather have some better warning if my house were to catch fire, so picked up these:

They're not the ones I'd prefer (Nest), but they're also rather less expensive than those, so they'll have to do for now.

Probably some more updates in the next day or two as I effect further repairs and get new stuff installed.

I've never heard anything but good about Kidde fire alarm gear. It's what I have at home too.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

How the hell is this not awesome? My toilet paper roll always end up on the back of the tank or precariously balanced on the old roll because I hate have the spring loaded plunger slip and rocket across the bathroom or full directly behind the toilet forcing me to hug the bowl to retrieve it. Your TP hanger looks like a life saver. . .

But on the topic of bidets, do they have options for different spray patterns or water temperature?

In this case, my ex-girlfriend's chucklefuck step-father did a lovely (hurr hurrr) install job for my mother way back when, so it tilts down and the toilet paper just slips off. And I don't like the idea of a metal hook sitting about two inches from my arm when I'm trying to take a (bidet-less) dump.

If you want it I'll be happy to try to find a box and send it to you (it'll need new anchors or you'll need a stud or something to screw the screws in to), otherwise it gets added to the Goodwill box.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

I've never heard anything but good about Kidde fire alarm gear. It's what I have at home too.

They make good stuff. These ones are 10-year lithium ones too, so I don't have to worry about batteries for a good long time.

The Nests network together though, and have some other really cool features. I just don't have the $800 or so I'd need to pick up all the ones I'd need for the house right now, and I'd like to have advanced warning in case my furnace or water heater decide to start dumping CO2.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Red posted:

Well, they were going to explain in the sequel, and

I guess it was just a cinematic tour de force that was just ahead of its time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MikeyTsi posted:

They make good stuff. These ones are 10-year lithium ones too, so I don't have to worry about batteries for a good long time.

Ever better, those are lifetime units. Smoke detectors only have a 10-year lifetime, so you simply replace them wholesale in 10 years.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

The Nests network together though, and have some other really cool features. I just don't have the $800 or so I'd need to pick up all the ones I'd need for the house right now, and I'd like to have advanced warning in case my furnace or water heater decide to start dumping CO2.

The Nests are extremely dust-sensitive, though. I loved mine (the pathlight feature is insanely useful), right up until they started mass-false-alarming within the first 30 days.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Nests are extremely dust-sensitive, though. I loved mine (the pathlight feature is insanely useful), right up until they started mass-false-alarming within the first 30 days.

Man, how dusty is your house?

And where did you have them mounted? Maybe I can try to avoid that whenever I get around to actually getting them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i had a first generation nest and it was great right up until it got locked up in a changeover cycle and burnt out my heat pump :/

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Got the two combo alarms installed, but didn't take pictures, because who cares?
I haven't installed the two bedroom ones yet as I'm not entirely certain on the best locations, I'll probably call the local FD this week and see if they can give a recommendation.

Here's the new bathroom stuff:

Also, installed the first of many bookshelves in the library:

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mikey, are you in the North Seattle suburbs? I keep seeing references to that area in your pictures.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Shadowgate posted:

Mikey, are you in the North Seattle suburbs? I keep seeing references to that area in your pictures.

No, the opposite (Ren-tun).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

Man, how dusty is your house?

And where did you have them mounted? Maybe I can try to avoid that whenever I get around to actually getting them.

Dusty but not that dusty. I do live in the freaking desert :v: I'm also not 100% convinced it was purely dust either since cleaning them didn't help for long. I put them in the same location as the older wired detectors, which were clearly laid out so as to minimize the amount of wire needed. The house has five total, but there are two pairs that are literally on opposite sides of a bedroom door, with the fifth one being in a bedroom that's down a hallway from the main kitchen/living space.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

sneakyfrog posted:

i had a first generation nest and it was great right up until it got locked up in a changeover cycle and burnt out my heat pump :/

Yeah uh, pretty sure he's talking about the Nest Protects.

Nest has definitely had teething problems on v1 of their products though. Just ask IoC how much fun he had when all of his first gen Nest Protects went apeshit. :v:

I have a 3rd gen Nest thermostat, and it's having a weird issue - every now and then, while the AC is running, I hear the AC relay start chattering for a few seconds (happens about once a week, and only happens while the ac is running). The compressor doesn't seem to appreciate it either, it shuts down for awhile after that happens (occasionally tripping the breaker, and it's been through 3 start caps since I moved here in June).

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah uh, pretty sure he's talking about the Nest Protects.

Nest has definitely had teething problems on v1 of their products though. Just ask IoC how much fun he had when all of his first gen Nest Protects went apeshit. :v:

I have a 3rd gen Nest thermostat, and it's having a weird issue - every now and then, while the AC is running, I hear the AC relay start chattering for a few seconds (happens about once a week, and only happens while the ac is running). The compressor doesn't seem to appreciate it either, it shuts down for awhile after that happens (occasionally tripping the breaker, and it's been through 3 start caps since I moved here in June).

well if you have a heat pump make sure its not the reversing valve going apeshit, that was not fun

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have lived 36 years and changed countless rolls of toilet paper and never once have I had any trouble whatsoever with the spring loaded thingy for the toilet paper roll. What are you doing that it's flying away? Is it flying out of the holder? Springing out of your hands somehow?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

I have lived 36 years and changed countless rolls of toilet paper and never once have I had any trouble whatsoever with the spring loaded thingy for the toilet paper roll. What are you doing that it's flying away? Is it flying out of the holder? Springing out of your hands somehow?

I've personally had a few times where it didn't "lock in" properly and then launches the gently caress across the bathroom, but that's happened maybe 5 times in my life so I just suck it up.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sneakyfrog posted:

well if you have a heat pump make sure its not the reversing valve going apeshit, that was not fun

No heat pump here, unfortunately - electric strips in the inside unit for heat. The inside fan goes off/on with the relay chattering.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

No heat pump here, unfortunately - electric strips in the inside unit for heat. The inside fan goes off/on with the relay chattering.

Low battery in your thermostat? Is it an old thermostat where maybe the coil spring thing is wearing out?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's a <1 year old Nest 3rd generation. No replaceable battery, solid state, self-charging.

I've since talked to Nest about it, they're replacing it under warranty.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So, how about an update?

The hope was to start getting working on the yard and start work on the gardening plot in the backyard, as well as starting to get rid of the trash and moulding and poo poo from the constant remodel. Buuuut, it's loving Seattle, so you can guess what happened.

Managed to make a good dent in the trash though!

Before

First load

After

Still need to take care of the rest of the pile in the last picture, I figure between that and the other few misc things that are left I probably have another 1-2 loads. Minimum is $25 and the bill has been around $40 for each so at least I'm not wasting the trip.

Also, replaced the ice maker.

Ice is nice.

Fence is still pulling apart, I bought some stakes to try to reinforce the broken posts and should be trying to get that done on Wednesday. Hopefully that'll keep things together until I can get the time and funds to replace that whole section.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

MikeyTsi posted:

So, how about an update?

The hope was to start getting working on the yard and start work on the gardening plot in the backyard, as well as starting to get rid of the trash and moulding and poo poo from the constant remodel. Buuuut, it's loving Seattle, so you can guess what happened.

Managed to make a good dent in the trash though!

Before

First load

After

Still need to take care of the rest of the pile in the last picture, I figure between that and the other few misc things that are left I probably have another 1-2 loads. Minimum is $25 and the bill has been around $40 for each so at least I'm not wasting the trip.

Also, replaced the ice maker.

Ice is nice.

Fence is still pulling apart, I bought some stakes to try to reinforce the broken posts and should be trying to get that done on Wednesday. Hopefully that'll keep things together until I can get the time and funds to replace that whole section.

purple

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

#fuckyeah

Just waiting for the weather to be good enough on the weekend +2 days so I can make the rest of the house look like that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In seattle, you have good weather?

Naw but seriously good job, it seems like you keep chopping up the ridiculously daunting job of fixing up this house into small but achievable chunks and then chipping away at them, which is the only way to do it and stay sane.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Leperflesh posted:

In seattle, you have good weather?

Naw but seriously good job, it seems like you keep chopping up the ridiculously daunting job of fixing up this house into small but achievable chunks and then chipping away at them, which is the only way to do it and stay sane.

As opposed to kastein, who is literally chopping his house into small chunks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Safety Dance posted:

As opposed to kastein, who is literally chopping his house into small chunks.

:golfclap:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kastein's got a real House of Theseus thing going, yeah. At exactly what point is his current house no longer the same house as the house he bought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Leperflesh posted:

Kastein's got a real House of Theseus thing going, yeah. At exactly what point is his current house no longer the same house as the house he bought?

I mean, the foundation is largely untouched minus some patches/basic repairs...