Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Leperflesh posted:

Kastein's got a real House of Theseus thing going, yeah. At exactly what point is his current house no longer the same house as the house he bought?

The answer you seek: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478212&pagenumber=22&perpage=40#post452560131

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

In seattle, you have good weather?

Naw but seriously good job, it seems like you keep chopping up the ridiculously daunting job of fixing up this house into small but achievable chunks and then chipping away at them, which is the only way to do it and stay sane.

Thanks. It's actually kind of frustrating because I want to do ALL THE THINGS, ALL AT ONCE, but the realities of time and finances kind of prevent that.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MikeyTsi posted:

Thanks. It's actually kind of frustrating because I want to do ALL THE THINGS, ALL AT ONCE, but the realities of time and finances kind of prevent that.

The only solution is to start all of the things, so they're all in progress!

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Yeah. I have probably 12 projects started around the house right now. Most started in early 2015. Don't be like me. Do 1 or 2 things at a time.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, so some updates.

Hmmm. Looks like I should probably mow the fuckin' yard.

There, that's bettah.

loving STUMP

That's it, you're done

Did some temp repairs on the broken posts:

Hopefully they'll hold together until I can make the front yard in to a temporary canine Alcatraz, then I can start tearing the back fence down.

It's not looking so good though:

There's some serious rot happening in these posts.

While surveying and doing measurements, I introduced myself to my neighbor (and informed him my mother was deceased), and noticed something interesting about the fence:

Yep, it's got a weird angle. And then on the other end:

I suspect this was done to clear this stump here:

It looks like it's pretty well rotted, so I'm going to try to yank it once the fence is down so I can make it straight again.

Also started working on trying to get the unauthorized plant life out of the garden area so we can start planting stuff.

There's some serious roots on some of these

After we finish pulling everything out I can get the gravel and plastic removed, then I need to put in some bricks to close the end and we can start planting. I'll probably need to put up a barrier as well to keep the dogs out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Make sure you know exactly where the property markers (iron pipes or granite posts, usually) are before you put up the new fence. In some areas, if you put the fence up not on the property line, after a certain number of years, it means you've claimed that land and it's now legally yours (if you put it on their side of the line) and if they put the fence up on your side, it means they own your land now. Can result in some ugly neighbor bickering and redoing of fences.

Also, holy poo poo, those posts are GONE. I can't believe it's still standing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wait, you still have the totaled DSM?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

Make sure you know exactly where the property markers (iron pipes or granite posts, usually) are before you put up the new fence. In some areas, if you put the fence up not on the property line, after a certain number of years, it means you've claimed that land and it's now legally yours (if you put it on their side of the line) and if they put the fence up on your side, it means they own your land now. Can result in some ugly neighbor bickering and redoing of fences.

Actually, it looks like I've already "acquired" some of the property, since the fence is slanted out a bit in the first section (most likely to clear that big fuckoff trunk that I want to tear out). I won't be replacing the end posts (since I'm just doing the back right now), so it'll either be on the same line, or I'll actually be moving back in so it's straight.

I'm going to be going out there tonight to do my line markings so the utilities know where to scan and mark so I don't end up auguring in to a sewer line or something.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Wait, you still have the totaled DSM?

Sure do. Now that I have a somewhat normal schedule again and it's still day time after I get home from work I may actually be able to finish getting the new car running and then finish stripping the totaled one so I can have a crusher drag the body off.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

kastein posted:

The property marker for our land is about two feet into my neighbor's driveway. Before we bought, we had the sellers get a letter from them stating that they were aware that it's legally our property and waive all rights to adverse possession and then the title company attached it to the title. Which means if their dog keeps making GBS threads in our yard and they keep failing to clean up after it, they're gonna have a fence down the middle of their driveway and there's fuckall they can do about it.

Property law is fun and interesting!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Of COURSE the chicken wire in the size I need isn't sold in a loving store so I'll have to order it.

Ah well, I'm sure if I order a box of screws and such with it I should get to the threshold where I can get it shipped for free to my house instead of having to go down to the store and get it there.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Do you have enough room in your bathroom to install a urinal? When I was remodeling my house I thought about putting one in just for fun and I regret not doing it to this day

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Applesnots posted:

Do you have enough room in your bathroom to install a urinal? When I was remodeling my house I thought about putting one in just for fun and I regret not doing it to this day

I'm not Scott Adams.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

MikeyTsi posted:

I'm not Scott Adams.

I did not know he did that?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Applesnots posted:

I did not know he did that?

Yeah, it was part of his, "I, as a moderately amusing and rather successful cartoonist are in fact an expert in everything, so I'm going to use my totally real architectural expertise to design the totally perfect and most optimum living space".

If I recall, it was basically a loving donut. And it had a urinal, because I guess he plans to live alone and doesn't mind his bathroom always smelling of pee. (officially it was to "save water", buut non-flushing urinals smell like pee, so there you go)

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Buuut, you guys aren't here for my musings on a MRA cartoonist, how about an update?

Yard party season is coming up, so cleaned up the deck a bit:

Welp, guess I'm buying a new wheelbarrow.

Utilities came out, aaand marked an area that I'm not going anywhere near. At least I know where my gas line is!

I have no idea what the hell this says.

For the "after mow" project this week, started working on the back patio area. It's totally overrun with weeds, and is also terribly uneven. Going to tear all the bricks out, clear out all the weeds, then even it out and put down some kind of plant barrier and re-lay the bricks. I also need to replace the railroad ties on the borders with something, as they're rotted. I'll eventually slab it all out in concrete but I need to take the trees out first.

Work in progress.

Lots of bricks.

Bricks removed, starting on the cleanup.

This needs to come out and be re-placed straight

Used some of the removed dirt to fill the hole from the stump in the side yard.

I'm going to be doing work on the front fence this weekend and will be doing the teardown of the backyard fence I'm replacing, so continuation on this may wait until next week. I also need to decide what I'm going to do to replace those railroad ties.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I read "no fear" where they painted...start digging.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MikeyTsi posted:

Yeah, it was part of his, "I, as a moderately amusing and rather successful cartoonist are in fact an expert in everything, so I'm going to use my totally real architectural expertise to design the totally perfect and most optimum living space".

If I recall, it was basically a loving donut. And it had a urinal, because I guess he plans to live alone and doesn't mind his bathroom always smelling of pee. (officially it was to "save water", buut non-flushing urinals smell like pee, so there you go)

It also has a loving ziggaraut of Dilbert's head:

Apparently that's the room where his cats poop.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It also has a loving ziggaraut of Dilbert's head:

Apparently that's the room where his cats poop.

It wouldn't be out of place as a Bronze Age structure in Age of Empires.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

I read "no fear" where they painted...start digging.

Given the conversation I had with the water company yesterday, I strongly suspect that might be where the sewer line is.

Anyway, I'm not digging there so it doesn't really matter right now.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, you know what time it is.

On Saturday I tore down the back fence to prepare to install the new one.

Most of them knocked down. The wood was so bad that we were able to just kick most of the boards out. Most of the rails came apart once they didn't have the pickets holding them in.

Only the posts remain, most of the cleanup is done.

First load in the truck. It ultimately took two, with a 3rd partial required at some point in the future.

They appear to have used a bit more concrete than strictly necessary.

Yep, that there is a big hole alright.

All told, only two actually came out with the posts, the rest of them either snapped off, were already broken, or was the one that was just direct buried without having any concrete at all. They're going to be pretty impossible to remove without some advanced tools, so current plan is to just leave 'em and try to space the new posts around them.

With that done it was time to create a temporary Alcatraz to prevent unauthorized canine excursions; by filling the larger gaps in the front fence with pickets, then running chicken wire around the front do discourage attempts to go through anyway (there was an escape attempt while installing the pickets which resulted in a stuck and somewhat panicky dog). I decided to go with the front since I wasn't able to find the height I needed in-stock, and this should potentially allow me to re-use it later for another project or two.

Pickets installed. I only ended up having to buy two, as there were some lying around (of course, I found two more later, but they're only a couple bucks each, so whatevs).

First section

Halfway done.

WHYYYYYYYY?!!!!

Sunday was a bit more of a "light duty" day, as my primary helper and I were still pretty gassed from all the work the day before. Ran the second load to the dump in the morning, failed to find a new cheap trimmer, then found I have a second one for some reason and managed to find a new reel for it so we could use it. Helper decided to start clearing all the unapproved vegetation while I decided I was tired of the yardwork portion of the shed being unusable and started pulling everything out so I could organize things a bit.

Before.

After. I still need to finish around the work table, but I suspect mice have been present and I want to make sure I'm wearing a breathing barrier of some sort before I start stirring that up in the air. It also looks like I'm starting to get some water damage; I'll need to sort the roof on this at some point soon-ish.

Yesterday the friendo showed up a bit early and started mowing the yard while I was wrapping up work. After he decided to do this:

While I started work to try to remove that drat big stump from behind the wood pile area.

The panels around that trunk are rather degraded due to physics and the relentless march of time and entropy, so I decided to pull them off so I could see what I have to work with and if I can get to that part of the root system without moving the entire wood pile Not a lot, and NOPE

Apparently this is what happens when you allow a big fuckoff tree to grow in to your building then kill it and let the stump sit to rot for 20 some odd years.

That lean don't look so good,....

Of course. Why would you bother to use frame pieces that are the right length so you can actually attach them and make them structural? Just get it close enough and throw the panels on, it'll be like an IKEA bookcase!

In short, that entire piece is a total loss, due to poor build, damage from foliage and insects, etc. I'll need to pull that out entirely and build a new piece once the stump is removed.

After that, I broke out the trusty sawzall and cut through the root structures I could reach. There's three on the left and looked to be one on the right that I could get to. The big one in the middle was also sort of there, but I was able to dig that out while I was digging around the tree.

What it looks like now. Of COURSE they decided to put a bunch of big fuckoff rocks around there too, so I've had to contend with digging those out as well. That's going to be it until Sunday; my father's coming out for the next phase of the project and we'll assess the best way to yank this (My thought is we'll attach my tow strap and try to pull it ---> instead of towards the front of the adjacent property like I was originally planning, my thought is there's less risk of causing a huge mess if I'm twisting the root structure that's under the wood pile instead of levering it out that way. I also hope that it just doesn't flat-out tear apart instead of pulling out.

While I was doing this I had to move some of the stump pieces that had been left there, and I tore one open:

Nice little ecosystem we've got going in there. I didn't do anything further as I'd rather not have whatever's in there decide to relocate to the actual shed.

Also discovered number 15, 20? Of "dumbfuck poo poo the previous owners did"

Gonna need to fix that.

WHO DOES THIS.

So, plan is to try to pull that stump on Sunday morning, then deal with whatever the results of that are and start auguring holes and setting posts. Provided that goes okay I'm going to buy the rails and mounting hardware, and get those set in and installed on the next weekend while my father's out of town. Then we'll start nailing in the pickets the weekend after that an hopefully get the project completed.

It also looks like weather is going to be pretty okay for the next week or so, so I might get out and start re-washing and painting more of the exterior on Saturday.

That's all for now.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

This week, we return to our heroes as they continue construction on a fence to protect their canine overlords!

First off, the stump. It ain't coming out right now. Going to try to cut it down and remove it piecemeal, otherwise we're going to carve out to clear the fence line and I'll pull it once I can get all the wood removed from the wood pile and get to the back of it.

We started our work today (after failing to pull the stump), by going down to Home Depot and renting one of these:
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/UmN8lDq.jpg[/img]

Which made this rather easy.

Well, mostly (really old root beer can for scale).

This sucker was in there vertically, so couldn't grab it with the manual post digger until we'd used a trowel to dig it almost all the way out. And the ground is really fuckoff hard once you get below the standard topsoil layer so your life really sucks if you decide to return the augur before you have everything set to save some money.

After this, we returned the augur, and picked up the 10 posts, lats, stakes, some nails, and a few bags of gravel. Oh, and a new wheelbarrow, because the old one was certainly no longer up to the task.

Got back, unloaded, cleared dirt from the post holes to get them to the nominal 2' depth,

Then it was time to add some gravel to the post holes:

And set in the posts.

Halfway done.

Now, some of you may have noticed, "hey, one of those holes seems like it's not exactly in line with the rest of them,..." And you'd be right. And this is why:

These two weren't QUITE as bad as removing the one above, but still took some digging.

It sure ain't as pretty as the other ones:

But it's done, and no one's going to notice after I get the concrete in and grass grows.

Aaand we're finished.

Next Saturday I need to get my hands on a truck so I can go rent the cement mixer and pick up the 17 bags of concrete I'll need, then I'll re-verify the alignment on the posts and pour. Then wait for it to set for a week then I can start getting the rails mounted and it's smooth sailing from there.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MikeyTsi posted:

Aaand we're finished.

Next Saturday I need to get my hands on a truck so I can go rent the cement mixer and pick up the 17 bags of concrete I'll need, then I'll re-verify the alignment on the posts and pour. Then wait for it to set for a week then I can start getting the rails mounted and it's smooth sailing from there.

Nice work on the fence line.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Looks like you got some nice discount landscaping rocks there.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Nice work on the fence line.

It's not too hard to do, you just need to take a little extra time. In our case, we ran a line from centerline to centerline on the end posts, then marked every 7 feet (had a 100-ft for this to make it easy). Then we used a spare piece of post to do the sight line and mark the center of each post. That gave the base line for the augur. Once the digging was done, we ran a new line from front to front on the end posts, and, combining that with the post leveler (you can see it in a few of the shots), were able to get the posts pretty much true.

The posts shouldn't move unless someone fucks with them, but I'll re-check against the sight line and the level before I start pouring just to be sure.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Did a thing yesterday.

I'm lazy, so I decided to rent a thing to make my life a bit easier.

I think we may have exceeded the load rating of this truck a bit.

Let's fill these fuckers with concrete!

About halfway done.

And finished.

Had some extra, so poured it out on the ground here. Once it cures I'll pick it up and dispose of it.

All told, I used 8 80lb bags of concrete. I kept two so I can make sure I have enough to fill the post hole on the side fence when I get around to working on that, and returned 5 back to the store for a refund.

While I was there, decided to go ahead and pick up these:

Phase 3 done, ready to start phase 4.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Looks great. A new fence will be a real visual upgrade over the old one.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

and returned 5 back to the store for a refund.

Should have just bought a motorcycle.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Sexual Shiite posted:

:haw:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

Looks great. A new fence will be a real visual upgrade over the old one.

Well, I'm a bit more interested in it as a canine barrier, but yeah works for that too.

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I don't understand that reference.

ANYWAY, important question I need to answer before I start putting up rails, should I recess the rails so I'm just putting pickets on the panels, or should I run them flush and run rails across the posts?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MikeyTsi posted:

I don't understand that reference.

It's a dumb forums in-joke that was never funny and at this point I'm pretty sure is only propagated out of spite. So I wouldn't worry about it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's a dumb forums in-joke that was never funny and at this point I'm pretty sure is only propagated out of spite. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

there was a discussion in the crappy construction tales thread a year ago or so that involved a vigorous debate as to whether or not a 400 pound concrete block was useful for motorbike security. The discussion lasted like maybe three pages but that was sufficient to cement it in people's minds as some sort of horrible transgression of forums etiquette and/or hilarious legendary event worthy of immortalization in the annals of comedy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Leperflesh posted:

there was a discussion in the crappy construction tales thread a year ago or so that involved a vigorous debate as to whether or not a 400 pound concrete block was useful for motorbike security. The discussion lasted like maybe three pages but that was sufficient to cement it in people's minds as some sort of horrible transgression of forums etiquette and/or hilarious legendary event worthy of immortalization in the annals of comedy.

I was rather buzzed and entertained by it, and started sneaking blocky into pictures for a bit, it ran its course but man.. dont hate on blocky.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

MikeyTsi posted:

ANYWAY, important question I need to answer before I start putting up rails, should I recess the rails so I'm just putting pickets on the panels, or should I run them flush and run rails across the posts?

IMO, don't recess them if you're using pickets. The pickets will catch a fair amount of wind and the notch in the post weakens it. Recessing the rails is reasonable if you're only putting up welded wire panels instead of rails though.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Cpt.Wacky posted:

IMO, don't recess them if you're using pickets. The pickets will catch a fair amount of wind and the notch in the post weakens it. Recessing the rails is reasonable if you're only putting up welded wire panels instead of rails though.

I'm not sure what you mean by notch.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

MikeyTsi posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by notch.

I thought you meant cutting a dado in the post to recess the rail so it's flush with the face of the post. Reading again, I think you meant to butt the end of the rail up against the side of the post so it's flush on the front but I'm still not sure. Maybe a diagram would help?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I thought you meant cutting a dado in the post to recess the rail so it's flush with the face of the post. Reading again, I think you meant to butt the end of the rail up against the side of the post so it's flush on the front but I'm still not sure. Maybe a diagram would help?

You can either mount the rails flush with the posts and then just run the pickets straight across end to end, or you can recess the rail for the depth of the picket and set the pickets "panel style" where they're broken up by the posts. The advantage of the former method is you don't really have to worry about shaving rails until you get to the end and you can easily do it in a way that's not really noticeable (I suppose also a little less measuring), the latter makes it slightly easier to remove a panel if you need to do any work on it afterwards. Aesthetically it's more what you prefer looking at.

I guess another thought is that the existing fencing is also the latter style, so if I go with flush it's going to look different until I end up replacing the other sections.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, time to get started with getting this fence built.

First, we did our measurements to set the bottom and top rails, and set the spacing for the middle.

Then it was time to install these.

A bunch of nails later I've come to the conclusion that I need a more heavy-duty hammer.

Next, time to cut some rails, so it's finally time for me to break out one of the toys.

Starting to set the rails.

And this should make installing the pickets a lot easier.

Starting to look like a fence. Unfortunately it started to rain, so I put the miter saw away so my new toy wouldn't get rained on. This of course made it so I couldn't cut more rails, so I decided to finish installing pickets for the rails that had already been set and then call it a day.

Done for now. I'll probably try to wrap up all but one section on Monday, then measure so I know how much to shave off of how many boards so I can make an even fence without it looking weird.