Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Asbestos tiles are actually pretty safe to remove, you just need a respirator. Even when you break up the tiles, the asbestos fibers are still trapped to the tile and won't go airborne the way loose fibers from insulation.
I watched Mike Holmes on Holmes on Homes have his crew remove asbestos tiles and if I can't trust him then I can't trust anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Those look like Billy, in which case you can get hardware to make a corner unit. This is a "model" that shows what that looks like:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29020470/

You get a 15 inc wide Billy plus this bracket kit and you've got yourself a corner unit. Put some glass doors on the cabinet along the wall if you want that to be a display case rather than a simple bookcase.