Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maybe don't buy a custom door, just buy a standard one and cut it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3pQplY3qIA

If you have a hollow core door you might have to glue some random strip into the bottom but as long as you paint it after, nobody's ever gonna know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, if a custom door is actually triple the cost, you could buy a regular door, gently caress it up, and buy a second door and cut it correctly, and still come out ahead by the price of one standard door.

e. but yeah voids the warranty, understandable if you'd rather not.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 29, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I got similar service (clear sewer line blockage and roots by snaking from the cleanout) for ~$180. In Concord, but still, $300 plus tax is pretty high.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 21, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

Not if it's at 10:00 at night.

drat, yeah.

knowonecanknow posted:

I ran out of TP today and when I was the store I saw Scott 1000 and thought "goons haven't let me down before" and grabbed it. drat that poo poo sucks. 1 ply sand paper.

Giant packs of Quilted Northern from Costco. I actually once had a guest tell me she had always been buying a cheap brand but after experiencing our luxurious toilet paper, she was switching forever.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bud K ninja sword posted:

im adding bidet people to my list of people that will always bring something up with vegans and atheists :colbert:

Anime people are worse than all three of these.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In seattle, you have good weather?

Naw but seriously good job, it seems like you keep chopping up the ridiculously daunting job of fixing up this house into small but achievable chunks and then chipping away at them, which is the only way to do it and stay sane.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kastein's got a real House of Theseus thing going, yeah. At exactly what point is his current house no longer the same house as the house he bought?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

there was a discussion in the crappy construction tales thread a year ago or so that involved a vigorous debate as to whether or not a 400 pound concrete block was useful for motorbike security. The discussion lasted like maybe three pages but that was sufficient to cement it in people's minds as some sort of horrible transgression of forums etiquette and/or hilarious legendary event worthy of immortalization in the annals of comedy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Could be tree frogs? I've seen slug eggs, they're tiny.

e. no, pacific tree frogs lay in water, in the spring.

e. yeah those have to be slug eggs, but they're huge, or my sense of scale is way off

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 13, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

Also have to figure out how I'm gonna repair this:

It's all particle board and really not worth trying to repair. I suppose if you think a replacement wouldn't fit in with all the other particle board, then I suggest leaning into it and making it contrast. Maybe a surface covered in cork, or cutting mat material, or something else that would be useful in a sewing room? Just cut plywood to the right shape, and then surface it with whatever, and drop it into place.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

I was thinking about drilling some dowels and putting it back together that way, it doesn't really need to be seperateable at all.

If we ever get past social distancing I'll probably have my dad come down and check it out, we should be able to find a good solution.

You can try, but drilling into particle board sucks, especially with a hand drill, you're likely to just get a crater rather than a neat hole. If you can manage it, some dowels might hold it all together.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

We're at the "begging for money so I don't lose my house stage", here's a link.

http://gf.me/u/ytxbxv

I've closed on a refi in 15 days, 60 seems wildly unreasonable. Are you working with a broker?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's like a 50% chance the appraiser parks in a car outside, ticks some boxes, and leaves without ever actually going around the house. Like 90% of the appraisal value is square footage, BR/BA count, and lot size, compared to recent sales of houses in the area with nearly the same values in those stats. They are absolutely not going to give any shits about the quality of the paint in the bathroom.

Now, if you were having a buyer's inspector coming in, that's a different ballgame for sure.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

Inspection is not the same as appraisal. Appraisal is how much the bank thinks the home is worth in case something happens and they are stuck trying to sell it. The bank is the buyer after all. They just want to make sure that the amount you are asking to borrow is equal to or less than the value of the home.

Exactly. This is just an appraisal.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would definitely either put the money into improvements, or sock it into an IRA (do you have earned income? If so you should be putting $6k annually into an IRA) or just a brokerage account to invest in index funds for retirement. Check in with the long-term investment and retirement thread in BFC for details.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Look under the kitchen sink to see if you have an unused outlet for a garbage disposer/dishwasher. Also look in the attic to see if you have an unused outlet or circuit for an attic fan. Also look on the ceiling of the garage to see if you have an unused outlet for a garage door opener. Lastly, do you possibly have a sump pump under the house?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

God drat, Mikey, sorry to hear about that pelvic abcess. It sounds gross and painful! Also congrats about the impending nuptials!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nobody's replying so I figured I'd post, just to let you know I'm still following along. If that helps? I'm also really sorry about Archie, my condolences.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do you mean, no ground wire? Because without a hot and a neutral, there's no circuit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ohhh, I get it. Hot in and hot (switched return) out

I was thinking of that being the "neutral" but of course it isn't when it's carrying current from the switch to the fixture

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Vavrek posted:

:stare:

I agree. What the gently caress.

My 1957 house has three bedrooms' outlets and lights on one 15a circuit. All anyone plugged in back then was like, lamps, maybe a clock, maybe a radio, and occasionally a vacuum cleaner. This is totally normal for older construction. People didn't used to put a TV and stereo and a bunch of gadgets and a computer in every bedroom room of their house.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My house has central air and I think it may have been designed for it at the beginning, but might have been converted to central air maybe in the 70s. Before that you put a fan in your room if you were hot. I don't think you "design" a house to have an a/c in every room, that's always a retrofit, because central air is far more efficient so you'd obviously design for that if you're designing for a/c, right? I don't know that for a fact but I'd be surprised if original construction homes of any era were intentionally putting in dedicated circuits to bedrooms for window A/C but not bothering to design for central A/C instead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lol does it stick out that far or is it not slid back all the way yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ouch. The contractor tried to install a fridge that looked like that, at my mother in law's condo she had him renovate, and we were like "no way" immediately. Mind you a shallower fridge is a lot smaller while also potentially being just as, or more, expensive, because being a nonstandard shape is more expensive than being bigger or smaller. But I really would not love that new dark corner of counter on the right with a fridge that far out :(