Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MikeyTsi posted:

Did some more work over the weekend:

I spent most of Saturday pulling wiring off of the house, but I managed to get a little more painting done.
On Sunday I ended up spending quality time doing this:

Started working diligently on the kitchen floor.

Found where the heating vent used to be.

Wait, what's this?

Great. That's just loving super.

Looks like there was a major water spill that damaged the floor; I'm guessing the dishwasher blew or something. Rather than fix it properly, the cut a hole and removed the immediate damage (not fixing the layer below which appears to be nicely dry-rotted), stuffed some wood in there, then put on another layer of wood and a new layer of linoleum.

So, the kitchen floor has:
layer of white linoleum
particle board
layer of grey linoleum
particle board
particle board (looks like they at least removed the layer of linoleum above this)
sub floor

Which means I have to remove three loving floors to get down to where I need to be; and the cabinetry (which is custom so can't be replaced without significant cost) is set on top of the grey layer. Which means I'm going to have to basically saw around the cabinetry, take up the two layers of flooring, then probably chisel out the part that's under the "lip" so I can get things flush with the edges before I can lay down new floor. Which makes it really unlikely that I'll get it done before I need to move in at the end of the month.

So for now, I need to focus on getting the rooms that have hardwood (living room, office, guest room, library) finished, and get everything totally cleared out of those rooms so I can tear up the particle board flooring in the library and lay hardwood there, then get all of the wood surfaces repaired, sanded, and finished.

Old particle board is a health hazard as it gives off formaldehyde and other lovely stuff. You sure you can't gently detach the base cabinets once the counter tops are off? I mean, in a trainwreck house like this, how 'custom' can they be? Skipping that, you don't have to chisel under them, that's what 1/4 round is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MikeyTsi posted:

They aren't standard dimensions, they were built in-place by someone. The kitchen also doesn't use the standard dimensions that everyone uses now (1950's house, remember), so I'd have to have cabinetry built and installed, and that's more expensive that I want to deal with right now.

There's a good 1-2 inch "lip" on the bottom of each cabinet that juts out from where the actual base is, it'll look really weird if I don't try to make that flush.

Ah yes, the uppers come down on those to, what, 12" from the counters? That "lip" thing does sound weird, mind posting pics of the kitchen cabs?

FISHMANPET posted:

Asbestos tiles are actually pretty safe to remove, you just need a respirator. Even when you break up the tiles, the asbestos fibers are still trapped to the tile and won't go airborne the way loose fibers from insulation.
I watched Mike Holmes on Holmes on Homes have his crew remove asbestos tiles and if I can't trust him then I can't trust anyone.

Agreed, the asbestos is mixed in. One of those sharp-enough-to-shave-with 8" floor scrapers might be a good investment at this point. I still have the one I bought for a single job pulling up linoleum tiles. It paid for itself, not having to crawl around.