Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I'd like to offer this video as a suggestion for your fifth lawn mower, courtesy of the ... I think I got that in the BUDK thread?

Never had a mower with a battery, I don't think. Always either gas or an extension cord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

MikeyTsi posted:

(and separate the loving feeds so I don't have 1 loving 15A circuit serving power and light for like 3 loving rooms)
:stare:

MikeyTsi posted:

This house is wired stupid.
I agree. What the gently caress.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

My 1957 house has three bedrooms' outlets and lights on one 15a circuit. All anyone plugged in back then was like, lamps, maybe a clock, maybe a radio, and occasionally a vacuum cleaner. This is totally normal for older construction. People didn't used to put a TV and stereo and a bunch of gadgets and a computer in every bedroom room of their house.

I know, I know. It's something I don't think about much, because while my childhood home was built in 1905, my parents remodeled the kitchen and I think a decent chunk of the house's wiring when I was about four years old. (And given the age of the house, that was not the first time someone had redone the wiring ...)

When did per-room air conditioners become commonplace? 1980s? 70s? (90s? 60s? I didn't live somewhere that warranted air conditioning before 2000, so I just never really saw them.) I was thinking about the loads in my office, and it's PC(+Monitors), lamps, and the space heater / air conditioner (depending on season).

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I wasn't thinking of it in terms of houses designed for air conditioning specifically, so much as an example of increasing electrical loads over time. You know, you start off with lamps, fans. A radio. Over time you have resistive heating in terms of ovens, toasters, space heaters. Water heaters. Clocks get added at some point. Washing machine, dishwasher, dryer. Hair dryer. Occasional vacuums, like you mentioned. A single television, then multiple. Desktop computers. Miscellaneous gadgets. And somewhere in the mix, window-mount air conditioners.

I figure wall clocks and charging cell phones are comparatively minuscule. Most of the large loads are transient. But, as a result of changing availability of consumer electronics, 1900-2000, the abstract "what kind of electrical load does this service need to support?" steadily increased.