Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
In addition to the longer pry bar, when I was taking up the linoleum in my parents' basement, I used one of these with a sharpened edge. It worked pretty well to peel it up and I just had to use a small steel scraper for a few stubborn patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

MikeyTsi posted:

Awesome.

Any suggestions on an easy way to get the wood up? Right now I'm basically having to use a chisel to get in there and that's taking forever to slowly hammer in, then break small sections apart, then pull out the one or two nails that get exposed.

One of these is probably your best bet. You position the points in front of the nail and drive it under with a blow from a mini-sledge, then ratchet back. Takes about 3-5 seconds per nail once you get a rhythm down. The other option is a set of these, but I think they're more work and better suited to small jobs like de-nailing pallets & such.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Go into a quiet room and listen carefully. Hear that sucking sound? That's the sound of a transdimensional wormhole that was created when you assumed ownership. It starts in your wallet and transcends time and space to suck money out and transfer it directly to the bank accounts of nearby hardware stores. It will never stop.

And yet, he'll never have to allow a property manager access for an inspection, he can put as many holes in his walls as he likes or even remove walls, can has make improvements without enriching someone else at his own expense...

Home ownership has drawbacks, sure, but I think the positives outweigh them by a huge margin.

This house is going to be awesome, I think.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Going back to the Krumkake iron and roller (weird sex toy looking thing), have yourself a very lutheran christmas and make some Krumkake first chance you get!

There are some non-Lutheran Scandahoovians, dontcha know. But yeah, make some Krumkake. If there's a rosette iron around, make some of those, too.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

You know you want to put a transom window in there.

Also, my wife and I went for the aged bronze for a lot of switchplates, fixtures, etc. and we've found it really does just sorta work with whatever else is in the room and has the added benefit of not being a plastic eyesore.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Leperflesh posted:

Giant packs of Quilted Northern from Costco. I actually once had a guest tell me she had always been buying a cheap brand but after experiencing our luxurious toilet paper, she was switching forever.

As long as we're throwing out TP recommendations, Costco's Kirkland Signature TP is pretty awesome at being simultaneously not exorbitantly expensive yet also not sandpaper.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

kastein posted:

Make sure you know exactly where the property markers (iron pipes or granite posts, usually) are before you put up the new fence. In some areas, if you put the fence up not on the property line, after a certain number of years, it means you've claimed that land and it's now legally yours (if you put it on their side of the line) and if they put the fence up on your side, it means they own your land now. Can result in some ugly neighbor bickering and redoing of fences.

Also, holy poo poo, those posts are GONE. I can't believe it's still standing.

The property marker for our land is about two feet into my neighbor's driveway. Before we bought, we had the sellers get a letter from them stating that they were aware that it's legally our property and waive all rights to adverse possession and then the title company attached it to the title. Which means if their dog keeps making GBS threads in our yard and they keep failing to clean up after it, they're gonna have a fence down the middle of their driveway and there's fuckall they can do about it.

Property law is fun and interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Brewing with the Tea of Hearts? You know it ain't really smart.