Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

First off, I'm sorry you lost your mother. Ideally we all outlive our parents, but it's hard. My father passed away last December, and I'm managing the probate process, which should close up some time in October if we're lucky. Luckily (I guess) he didn't own any real estate, and never had any debt. Godspeed on making it through that whole process, and remember that you get what you pay for with lawyers. I'm paying a little extra but it's worth it in peace of mind that they won't let me miss any important dates.

What kind of experience do you have with home renovation? And do you have some kind of idea of what you need to tackle first, and what is optional for when you have more cash?

That wallpaper situation is absolutely hilarious! It actually reminds me of the half-finished look of the house my father was in last. The landlord told me upfront that he was surprised anyone would rent such a ramshackle thing, but I guess it was good enough for an old alcoholic mechanic.

How's the stuff-sorting going? Looks like you're only partway through, things are a bit disorganized. That part was a grind for us. How many loving broken lathes does a man need? And as we were emptying the house, my sister and I both kept stopping and saying things like "well if we just got this part it would work again, this is worth good money!" and then get weirded out about how much like him we had become, and toss it into the dump truck to go to the city landfill because honestly those lathes were never gonna work again. And he took the well pump from his last house in a fit of pique over getting evicted because he had lived there 30 years. It just sat in his shed because the place he moved into was on city water.

Is this the state the house was in while your mom was living there? Did she do any major renovations? There are a lot of weird half-finished things I'm seeing in these photos and I'm curious about the stories behind them.

Sorry, this kind of turned into weird venting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

MikeyTsi posted:

Three of four walls cleaned in the guest room.

WHAT A LOVELY YELLOW

And this wall, a totally different color.

Is that some,... writing there?

TOM
MOOREMAN
WAS
HERE
12-7-90
THE END IS NOT
YET HERE
PRAISE THE
LORD

..... Ooookay then.

Amazing.

PRAISE THE
LORD

indeed.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Ugh, that loving sucks. Someone raided my father's house after he got taken by ambulance, which the landlord helpfully left unlocked for several days. We never found his firearms. The police were uninterested in taking my statement or filing any kind of report. I'm glad you're getting a better response from your local PD.