Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Can I ask why RG-58 cabling? It's very outdated at this point; all it's really used for today is antennas (mostly CB). I don't think it was really used in home wiring beyond amatuer radio and 10Base2.

If you meant RG-59, it's also outdated, though you'll still find it in plenty of houses. My house is full of it; I've replaced everything in the attic with RG-6, but I don't see any reason to replace the 59 that's buried in the walls, especially when the cable modem has its own new RG-6 run to a dedicated network area. You can still buy RG-59, but it's mostly used for security cameras now.

If you ever plan to have cable internet, you want at least RG-6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I wouldn't focus on the kitchen flooring until after you've moved in. There's not going to be any additional furniture added to the kitchen (or if there is, it'll be a breakfast table, but being a 50s house, it probably doesn't have the space for that), so you can do whatever you want whether you're moved in or not. It'll take a lot of stress off of you this way.

My 2 cents anyway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MikeyTsi posted:

I realized that the front closet would have hardwood, so I pulled the door off and pulled up the carpet so that can get refinished with everything else. MY GIRLFRIEND then pulled off some of the wallpaper and we found this:

Since this borders another wall where we definitely have a "urine odor", I'm assuming this is "pet damage". It seems to be solid, so I'm going to cover it with Kilz and hope for the best for now.

Lemme guess, there was an uncovered litter box in that corner at one point?

I had a cat that would sit in the litter box, and somehow manage to piss on the wall behind it. :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

This is the pro way to do it but if you live on anything approximating a modern block prepare to apologise to the neighbours (preferably in advance.)

Guy next door to where I used to live rented/borrowed a full wheeled scaffold rig every year to do it, now that's dedication.

Edit: remember while you're up there to clean your PV and/or solar hot water, throw any frisbees back to the neighbour's kids, plus wrap your air con.

More than likely his ac unit is on the ground, if he's where I think he is, the area is far too humid to use a swamp cooler. And it may be a heat pump in addition to an ac unit.

I just use a regular ladder when I clean out my gutters. :shrug: It takes about an hour or so, including blasting out the downspouts with water.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Jesus, guess you like anal fissures, huh? Seriously, TP is gross, get a bidet.

I dunno about MGS, but I personally do not enjoy it when my TP rips and I wind up giving myself a surprise rectal exam.

I'm also not a big fan of blasting water up my rear end (and even if I was... I'm in a run down early 80s rental, I'm pretty sure the property manager would laugh me out of the office if I asked them to install a bidet).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Still not a fan of blasting water up my rear end. :v:

(also my toilet has a hard copper line going to it from the shutoff, not a flexible line...)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sneakyfrog posted:

i had a first generation nest and it was great right up until it got locked up in a changeover cycle and burnt out my heat pump :/

Yeah uh, pretty sure he's talking about the Nest Protects.

Nest has definitely had teething problems on v1 of their products though. Just ask IoC how much fun he had when all of his first gen Nest Protects went apeshit. :v:

I have a 3rd gen Nest thermostat, and it's having a weird issue - every now and then, while the AC is running, I hear the AC relay start chattering for a few seconds (happens about once a week, and only happens while the ac is running). The compressor doesn't seem to appreciate it either, it shuts down for awhile after that happens (occasionally tripping the breaker, and it's been through 3 start caps since I moved here in June).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sneakyfrog posted:

well if you have a heat pump make sure its not the reversing valve going apeshit, that was not fun

No heat pump here, unfortunately - electric strips in the inside unit for heat. The inside fan goes off/on with the relay chattering.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's a <1 year old Nest 3rd generation. No replaceable battery, solid state, self-charging.

I've since talked to Nest about it, they're replacing it under warranty.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wait, you still have the totaled DSM?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MikeyTsi posted:

"Huh, the bedroom TV isn't turning on, I wonder what's,..."

What the hell kind of TV was plugged into that, a 40" CRT from the 80s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MikeyTsi posted:

I managed to get it hooked up and the light works (and I got it hooked up to the app), but it looks like when the switchbox was installed they ran a nail through the top and the bottom of it, so the switch won't fit in the housing.

Here you go. I had to do that when adding a smart switch to my kitchen - 4 different sets of romex in a single gang box, switch wouldn't go in all the way. Hopefully it gives you enough room.

Installed:

It looks a little janky, but it's not the end of the world, and nothing is exposed.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 21, 2023