Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Ran a PR 5k last week *and* beat the :siren:GF:siren:'s time by a few minutes. She's a 10k/10m/half runner and was talking smack for a month leading in.

Victory never tasted so sweet.

e: Torchlight Mpls fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

congrats on beating a woman

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Feminition posted:

congrats on beating a woman

It really is as cathartic as the old men say.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
women: can't live with 'em, can't beat 'em

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rezatahs posted:

what i'm wondering is why all of a sudden threads have to be defended about why they are in the general bullshit forum

It's that way for lots of the forums. Like, there's been a Game of Thrones discussion thread in GBS and TV/IV and Book Barn and GiP and FYAD and probably YOSPOS and BYOB and PYF.

Actually let me reframe it in terms of a forum instead: I'm going to pick on YOSPOS for example because the mods there have done a good job in improving this. When the funny computer forum has megathreads for Game of Thrones, working out, favorite music, Diablo 3, bitcoin, politics, general chat, and loving cat picture spam, well then it's not a focused subforum anymore, it's a general forum that happens to have a few more computer threads than other general forums. Why do we even have subforums if that's what they're going to be?

This isn't necessarily bad (from a user's perspective it's fine), but it makes things a lot harder to organize, administrate, and moderate. Each subforum acts like an offsite that happens to be hosted onsite, and I don't want to administrate a dozen slightly different general forums, I want to administrate one forum: Something Awful. When you pay $10 for an account, it shouldn't be admission to one subforum of your choice where you camp out forever and never leave (unless you really are only interested in posting about that specific topic, that's fine too). Instead, your account grants you access to all of the SA Forums. Use them!

And of course there's some overlap; I'm not demanding that every topic be strictly categorized and indexed. Rather, I'm asking, on a case by case basis (and this thread happens to be such a case): "Does it make sense for this topic to be duplicated in another forum, in this case GBS? Or does it belong in the dedicated subforum, in this case YLLS?" There's no hard and fast criterion for making that decision, but that's what I'm asking about. Hope that helps explain where I'm coming from.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I have a suggestion for this thread. It's fine and cool but it should be autogassed if jebany pedal posts in it. In fact I think this would be a good rule of thumb for all threads.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you really want to grant one bad poster that power??? D:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRYmqAyNMj8

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm maybe just a hellban then

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNR-HsVECOA

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Ralp posted:

It's that way for lots of the forums. Like, there's been a Game of Thrones discussion thread in GBS and TV/IV and Book Barn and GiP and FYAD and probably YOSPOS and BYOB and PYF.

Actually let me reframe it in terms of a forum instead: I'm going to pick on YOSPOS for example because the mods there have done a good job in improving this. When the funny computer forum has megathreads for Game of Thrones, working out, favorite music, Diablo 3, bitcoin, politics, general chat, and loving cat picture spam, well then it's not a focused subforum anymore, it's a general forum that happens to have a few more computer threads than other general forums. Why do we even have subforums if that's what they're going to be?

This isn't necessarily bad (from a user's perspective it's fine), but it makes things a lot harder to organize, administrate, and moderate. Each subforum acts like an offsite that happens to be hosted onsite, and I don't want to administrate a dozen slightly different general forums, I want to administrate one forum: Something Awful. When you pay $10 for an account, it shouldn't be admission to one forum of your choice where you camp out forever and never leave (unless you really are only interested in posting about that specific topic, that's fine too). Instead, your account grants you access to all of the SA Forums. Use them!

And of course there's some overlap; I'm not demanding that every topic be strictly categorized and indexed. Rather, I'm asking, on a case by case basis (and this thread happens to be such a case): "Does it make sense for this topic to be duplicated in another forum, in this case GBS? Or does it belong in the dedicated subforum, in this case YLLS?" There's no hard and fast criterion for making that decision, but that's what I'm asking about. Hope that helps explain where I'm coming from.

Ylls is super serious and likes the smell of their own farts so I like having a more chill thread for the gym

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Ralp posted:

Hope that helps explain where I'm coming from.

yeah that's understandable, but the reason these threads exist here and end up blowing up into the monstrosities they are though is because of how restrictive the other forums are. the swole thread couldn't exist in ylls and they don't want it.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Ralp posted:

This isn't necessarily bad (from a user's perspective it's fine), but it makes things a lot harder to organize, administrate, and moderate. Each subforum acts like an offsite that happens to be hosted onsite, and I don't want to administrate a dozen slightly different general forums, I want to administrate one forum: Something Awful. When you pay $10 for an account, it shouldn't be admission to one subforum of your choice where you camp out forever and never leave (unless you really are only interested in posting about that specific topic, that's fine too). Instead, your account grants you access to all of the SA Forums. Use them!

swolethread isn't a fitness thread, it's a chat thread for people who are interested in fitness

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ylls is loving awful and should be avoided by normal, well adjusted people who enjoy going to the gym and working out or whatever

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I like to do legs, specifically glutes. My name is Bret Contreras and I'm a goon.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Oh neat the swole thread is back and has two pages.

Oh it is just ralp chat about forums organization where he doesn't get that the sub forums on SA are mostly filled with/modded by uptight autist assholes that fled the GBS purge and are now holding onto their "serious business" forums with an iron fist.

Chinatown posted:

ylls is loving awful and should be avoided by normal, well adjusted people who enjoy going to the gym and working out or whatever

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Ralp posted:

This isn't necessarily bad (from a user's perspective it's fine), but it makes things a lot harder to organize, administrate, and moderate. Each subforum acts like an offsite that happens to be hosted onsite, and I don't want to administrate a dozen slightly different general forums, I want to administrate one forum: Something Awful. When you pay $10 for an account, it shouldn't be admission to one forum of your choice where you camp out forever and never leave (unless you really are only interested in posting about that specific topic, that's fine too). Instead, your account grants you access to all of the SA Forums. Use them!

You should allow duplication on the less rules intensive parts of the forum. In addition, never move anything to D&D because that forum is a black hole of stupid.

Also, yesterday was leg day and my legs are sore now.

Thanks for your time.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
IMO if a subforum is accumulating a shitload of offtopic threads, then that seems more like an issue with the on-topic forums not being approachable enough

sometimes thats unavoidable (nobody wants to tolerate GiP), but a lot of the time it could be taken care of by accomodating outside posters and reminding them that X forum exists

tldr tell shine to allow a relaxed swole chat thread in YLLS

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

I hate yankees posted:

Also, yesterday was leg day and my legs are sore now.

Thanks for your time.
Leg days are good days.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Ralp posted:

rather than post this you cloud have milked my dick and eaten the fruits of your labours???

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

makes u think

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
my YLLS story: one time i went to some of the fashion threads to plan a wardrobe redo after getting fit, most of the links in the op were dead so i went to the end of the thread, i couldnf figure out if the forum superstars were intentionally dressing like clowns so i just went out and got fitted flat color shirts and close fit dark jeans instead of solving the YLLS puzzlebox

thx for reading this pointless dumb paragraph

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Leg days ARE good days, but only after I finished. I feel weak and useless during the workout.

P.S. I am weak and useless

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ralp posted:

gas

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
you're not going to sway these retards, so gas.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Thank god this thread is back. Did legs and biceps yesterday, feeling good, AC didn't work at the gym so I almost died though.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Neurolimal posted:

my YLLS story: one time i went to some of the fashion threads to plan a wardrobe redo after getting fit, most of the links in the op were dead so i went to the end of the thread, i couldnf figure out if the forum superstars were intentionally dressing like clowns so i just went out and got fitted flat color shirts and close fit dark jeans instead of solving the YLLS puzzlebox

thx for reading this pointless dumb paragraph

check the what you're wearing YLLS thread and think, do you really want advice from those people

taking a week off lifting to deload and hopefully help few joints to recover, +30 crew represent

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

everyone in the waywt thread wears h&m and other lovely fast fashion brands so it's all poo poo quality and they buy like 5 new pieces a week and compulsively hoard clothes

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I like Uniqlo I guess

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Metanaut posted:

check the what you're wearing YLLS thread and think, do you really want advice from those people

taking a week off lifting to deload and hopefully help few joints to recover, +30 crew represent

Did that a few weeks ago, and it was great. Bench gone up, deadlifts gone up, shoulders still little bitches who don't want to grow. :smith:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Metanaut posted:

did not disappoint

lookin' good

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Sir_Charles posted:

did not disappoint

lookin' good

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I just

Hahahahahaahahahaha

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sir_Charles posted:

did not disappoint

lookin' good

the super specialized clothing threads (sneakers, boots, watches, etc.) are prolly fine, but i dont think its a real mystery why people dont want to post in YLLS when stuff out of fashion SWAT is 80% of these fashion/advice threads

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
YLLS is so uptight some dude mentioned :420: for appetite stimulation and everyone freaked out about ILLEGAL DRUGS, so yeah

Chinatown posted:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Sir_Charles posted:

did not disappoint

lookin' good

Wouldn't be surprised to see this dude in the next final fantasy game

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im lift

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
YLLS is for 150 lb dweebs who no one would think actually works out to post spreadsheets about macro's and best lifting ranges. SWOLE thread best weightlifting thread.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im gonna bench press today and im looking forward to doing that because its fun, imho

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ralp posted:

Ok but why wouldn't it belong in YLLS. We have a subforum specifically for talking about working out. Why is that not sufficient, is what I'm trying to figure out.

Al Cowens posted:

Because they're even more humorless than GBS.

I liked the old thread/this thread being in gbs because it's a lot less serious here. It's sort of like the difference between talking about a movie you liked amongst your friends at a bar or TGI Fridays(relaxed, cool GBS), and discussing it with professional movie critics in a classroom setting (Cinema Discusso). It's an entirely different atmosphere.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

getting goons to exercise is gbs's noble cause

• Locked thread