Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I just ate a whole pizza today, gonna see some dope gains this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

rezatahs posted:

i skipped leg day so i could fall asleep on the couch with my dog

drat it feels good to be a gangster

Good, leg days are for losers, work those glamour muscles bros

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Renegret posted:

hi swole thread I don't lift but I should

think I'm gonna start next week but idk what to do

Beginning lifting is very easy just learn how to bench press, deadlift, and do bicep curls and you can pick up new lifts later if you really want but you don't have to because those three are the best. Maybe shoulder press too

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

JebanyPedal posted:

Also, big triceps > big biceps, flexed big bis look good but triceps will make your arms look humongous and filled out all the time.

To compare them is meaningless, they are simultaneously the most important members of the glamour muscle group, namaste

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

JebanyPedal posted:

No unless you're like super pearl one will always be proportionally a bit bigger just make sure its the tris

I just exhaust them both and leave the decision in God's hands

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I can't do any heavy overhead movements because I hurt something in my shoulder earlier this summer, I wish it would stop bothering me already because I'm certainly not going to see a doctor about it. I'm left trying to work around it with raises and shrugs but it isn't really the same

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

The Saurus posted:

Can I just run up and down all the stairs in my apartment building for leg day? The last time I did leg day I went over the top and literally could not walk for 3-4 days.

Plus it's hard work and no one be peepin your legs at the club/beach so long as they're not ridiculously tiny compared to your upper body

The first time you do leg day is crippling for days. After like three or four leg days it's just normal soreness like any other workout though so really the trick is to just not skip leg day and then you'll be fine. I'm currently skipping leg day since I'm working on cardio and I don't want to break that routine up yet, but otherwise it's a necessary evil

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Chinatown posted:

on a scale of Normal to Extremely Gay what you you think about elliptical machines (not using the hand bars obviously that's extremely gay)

I like to use the elliptical machines because it's way easy to do interval training on them, and also treadmills are dumb garbage for fat people to briskly walk on as far as I'm concerned. Grab on to those hand bars like a big pair of dicks, and enjoy your gay cardio imo

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I tried an arc trainer way back when I had a planet fitness membership and I didn't like it at all. I think it turned the resistance up if you went too fast, it was like something out of Harrison Bergeron. Haven't tried one since

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

turbomoose posted:

If i can convince enough of them then I'll be the top dog here.

But also I just do cardio and haven't lifted in 3 years.
That sounds like the opposite of how you're supposed to work out

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Lift a bunch of weights, but do it a little different than how you're currently doing it

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Lmao "focus on resting" what.

I use my phone to log my lifts because it isn't 1995 and I don't want to carry around a loving spiral notebook and pen with me.

Phone logging is the best. It takes like two seconds to log a lift, then you can zone out and stare at other dudes till the little rest timer alarm on your app goes off and sets you back to working out like some kind of trained animal

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

notZaar posted:

What do you call a deadlift where you lower the weight like an inch off the ground but never really rest it on the floor?

A deadlift? I don't know, that's the way I did/will do them even if the last few posts make it seem as though that's incorrect

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

notZaar posted:

When I do it, my lower back gets sore as hell, I think it's because it's tense for the entire duration whereas the other deadlift let's u relax between reps.
maybe I'm used to it, today's my back and shoulder day at the gym maybe I'll try actually putting the barbell on the floor for each rep and see if it feels better that way I'll give an injury report later

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
The internet, repository of all of modern man's knowledge is, on aggregate, completely terrible and dumb about most things

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Stick to low weight low reps or you risk getting too bulky!

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

soy posted:

Basically the only topic the internet is good at providing actual useful research (without paying shitloads for access to research or things like westlaw/lexus nexus) on is programming and tech stuff.
even then you're bound to run into a bunch of nonsense from someone who can't understand why you'd rather write a two line function in your lovely throwaway code than three pages of boilerplate to conform to whatever coding style they crusade for

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Do whatever and be excellent to each other is a pretty good routine I think

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Tried deadlift with the bar hitting the floor between reps. Verdict: they suck I'm sticking with the way I usually do them

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Suck it + gently caress you

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
You take that back I don't do crossfit

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

soy posted:

My traps are not big at all and I don't dont feel the bar at all, the pad makes literally no sense to me, it just makes the lift more dangerous by putting the bar in a hosed up position.
I don't use the pad for squats since I messed around with where I hold the bar and found a more comfortable position, but even when I did it didn't seem like it messed with the positioning much. It just compresses and distributes the weight over a little larger area, that's all

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
If it's anything like the planet fitnesses I've used, the weight rack ends at 60 pounds and those squat racks are all Smith machines

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I use white t-shirts and sweat pants when I go to the gym, lol at fancy workout clothes you're just there to sweat them up anyway

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00V9...ElpL&ref=plSrch

I use my android phone for music. They can advance the track and control volume, and I just run the cord under my shirt. Bluetooth seems like more hassle than it's worth

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

notZaar posted:

I got raised on diet coke so I love the weird rear end taste of aspartame :shrug:

Same, regular soda tastes disgusting to me, unless there's rum in it pretty much

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Bacon and eggs

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Creatine's possible baldness side effect outweighs any desire to use it for possible slight performance increases. I'll stick to beta alanine, protein, and a handful of vitamins I almost certainly don't need

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Aferisan posted:

help i only work out my arms and now i'm an imbalanced gorilla

Good, you're doing it right

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I hope ridiculous scare stories about protein powder drive the price down

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
No wonder I've developed osteoporosis since I got back in to lifting

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I've also got a job should I throw out my protein powder and start eating raw eggs

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I'm gonna go do some kipping pullups right now. Next post from me will be on the floor with a fractured tailbone when my doorframe gives out

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Definitely supposed to get gayer as you lift more

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I hurt my neck trying on a shirt once. I think I was 28 and it was the first time I truly realized my own mortality

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

notZaar posted:

Gains are not as important as looking sexy and good

Well duh, isn't this why we all have body dysmorphia?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Dum Cumpster posted:

We're all just slowly becoming Batman and Robin's Bane

If that's not your goal then just what are you even doing lifting weights

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

A Tasteful Nude posted:

how many swole rear end gains do I get from drinking beer?

like, can my nerd rear end "carb macro" just be beer?

beer.... is good.
Just get on a cyclical ketosis diet or something where you need to gorge on carbs every weekend, then drink a bunch of beer and eat a whole pizza while you're hungover. It's science

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I gained ten pounds over the weekend in (mostly) water weight, does that count as swollen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
3x8 you dumb jerks

• Locked thread