Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That trailer had, like, half a second of Ratchet using a weapon, and we didn't even get to see it explode something. :mad:
It's based on Ratchet 1, the weapons all suck and he's just going to use the wrench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Lemma posted:

Holy hell YES. Infinite bonus points if it turns out to the the first not lovely video game movie ever made.

Wreck-it Ralph's cast would like a word with you in the dark alley out back. And The Last Starfighter might, too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SorataYuy posted:

Wreck-it Ralph's cast would like a word with you in the dark alley out back. And The Last Starfighter might, too.

Those are movies that are based on or inspired by videogames in general, not movies derived specifically from an existing videogame or games. You have a lot more freedom with the former category since there's no pre-existing canon for fans to get snippy about or for rightsholders to use to place constraints on the writers.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

no pre-existing canon for fans to get snippy about

Of course the ironic thing is most of the pre-existing canon is pretty silly to begin with, just that we, the fans, don't like to admit it because then it meant we spent our time on things that other people might look down on us for. Or at the very least, take a look at it and say "Hey wait a minute. That plumber is from Brooklyn, right? What's he doing fighting a world-conquering giant lizard, that makes no sense, whut? :confused:" Or we get the serious route like Mortal Kombat, which wasn't horrible, but was totally 90s as hell, and fell victim to some pretty awful cliches.

Either way, I know they're not strictly speaking video game movies, shh, let me have my delusion. :ssh:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Lemma posted:

Holy hell YES. Infinite bonus points if it turns out to the the first not lovely video game movie ever made.

Uh excuse me but Mortal Kombat: Annihilation exists.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

SorataYuy posted:

I might clarify that I meant a movie based directly off of a specific video game; Wreck it Ralph is amazing.

kalonZombie posted:

Uh excuse me but Mortal Kombat: Annihilation exists.

Sorry world I am still deeply wounded by how the Silent Hill film franchise panned out.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Lemma posted:

I might clarify that I meant a movie based directly off of a specific video game; Wreck it Ralph is amazing.

Yeah. It's pretty horrible that we've been getting such stellar comic book movies and TV shows lately, and yet our well-done video game adaptation movie score is still so horribly low. :cripes:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I for one am looking forward to the Arkham Asylum LP.

Also "kick some asteroid" is stupid. There, I said it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

Also "kick some asteroid" is stupid. There, I said it.

I don't think you 'get' Ratchet & Clank.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

kalonZombie posted:

WAIT WAS THAT A PRE-ROBO NEFARIOUS IN THAT TRAILER?

You know, I actually had this thought way back when they first mentioned the movie/remake would be tweaked to fit the later games. I was wondering if they would manage to fit Dr. Nefarious in somehow, since he retroactively got put into the role of the big overarching villain. (It worked out better than other platformers that did the same. Spyro :smith:.)

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

I for one am looking forward to the Arkham Asylum LP.

Yeah, so am I, despite that it took me literally hours to get really good runs for the challenge rooms. (even then i could have probably done another take on sewer bat)

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I wonder if they will include the Captain Qwark betrayal sub-plot. That was such a good twist to 9 year old me.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Manic X posted:

I wonder if they will include the Captain Qwark betrayal sub-plot. That was such a good twist to 9 year old me.

Oh you still fight the Blargian Snagglebeast under the pretense of it being a trap set up by Qwark in the remake game, I even mentioned it being one of the two sections on the demo earlier in the thread. Plus I don't think the betrayal would be written out completely, executed better obviously but not written out.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

I picked up the HD collection a couple of weeks back, but I've only played the second game, since I never played it as a kid. I think having played all three originals, the second is my least favourite.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Manic X posted:

I picked up the HD collection a couple of weeks back, but I've only played the second game, since I never played it as a kid. I think having played all three originals, the second is my least favourite.

Really? That's weird. I think the second is a vast improvement over the first game due to the gameplay changes and such. Last quarter of the game isn't that great sure, but the rest of it was good, which is the opposite of my feelings towards the first.

Anyway, today Dr. Nefarious hams it up and steals the spotlight and it's pretty much the best.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

I think it's because the first game provided me with a decent level of challenge. By comparison the second one felt far too easy. Don't get me wrong, 2 is a great game still.... Except for the part where you had to fly through a piped section; that was enough to make me stop playing it for 3 days.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Today we learn way too much about me.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Zapped:science:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I watched the R&C trailer after Kalon mentioned Nefarious making the Sheepinator but something about this concerns me for a few reasons.

First and foremost is that in Going Commando, it was established that the Sheepinator was made by Megacorp which is one of Gadgetron's major competitors alongside GrummelNet. Admittedly, this can be reconciled by saying something along the lines of either Nefarious sold Megacorp the rights to mass produce it, or that Megacorp screwed Nefarious over on the ownership rights as what happen with a lot of character creators in the comic book industry.

The other big issue is a motivation one since Nefarious is noted as hating organic life. Now granted the Amoeboids were made into a creation of Nefarious as well but I have an easier time believing that since the Amoeboids at least were designed to destroy planetary life. And unlike the Biobliterator which turns lifeforms into robots, the Sheepinator turns both robots and organic lifeforms into sheep another organic lifeform.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Chimera-gui posted:

The other big issue is a motivation one since Nefarious is noted as hating organic life. Now granted the Amoeboids were made into a creation of Nefarious as well but I have an easier time believing that since the Amoeboids at least were designed to destroy planetary life. And unlike the Biobliterator which turns lifeforms into robots, the Sheepinator turns both robots and organic lifeforms into sheep another organic lifeform.

Simple solution: Nefarious was cold one day and really wants a wool sweater. Thus the Sheepinator.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Chimera-gui posted:

I watched the R&C trailer after Kalon mentioned Nefarious making the Sheepinator but something about this concerns me for a few reasons.

First and foremost is that in Going Commando, it was established that the Sheepinator was made by Megacorp which is one of Gadgetron's major competitors alongside GrummelNet. Admittedly, this can be reconciled by saying something along the lines of either Nefarious sold Megacorp the rights to mass produce it, or that Megacorp screwed Nefarious over on the ownership rights as what happen with a lot of character creators in the comic book industry.

...Or the film is operating on a somewhat different continuity because that's what happens when you adapt a story.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The sweater thing I can see since Nefarious was still organic in the trailer and the idea is just stupid enough to be plausible for this franchise. It could also be that Nefarious was commissioned by Drek to make weapons since he transformed a Blarg in the trailer.

I have a harder time buying the different continuity thing since I've already mentioned that Qwark working with Drek, a major plot point in the first game but not mentioned in the trailer was implied in the Gamestop demo I mentioned seeing a few pages back so presumably it's going to be a plot point in the movie as well.

Obviously the execution is going to be different since while Qwark still lures the duo into a trap under false pretenses like in the original game, it's not going to be an overt backstab like it was in the original game but major plot elements are still being kept which would presumably include the existence of Megacorp in Going Commando.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

It's still completely conceivable for Nefarious to make the Sheepinator as a cybernetic in his attempts to wipe out squishies. Hint: Hearthstone has showed us Sheep are easier to kill than say, Giants.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

SorataYuy posted:

It's still completely conceivable for Nefarious to make the Sheepinator as a cybernetic in his attempts to wipe out squishies. Hint: Hearthstone has showed us Sheep are easier to kill than say, Giants.

I can see the logic in that as a way of dealing with more dangerous organic lifeforms before he had the Biobliterator.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I thought Nefarious only hated organic life after he became a robot. Is there anything that says he hated squishes while he was still one himself?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

White Coke posted:

I thought Nefarious only hated organic life after he became a robot. Is there anything that says he hated squishes while he was still one himself?

"I always hated biology class" is as close to that as we get.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chimera-gui posted:

I can see the logic in that as a way of dealing with more dangerous organic lifeforms before he had the Biobliterator.

Well, there's also the progression. Turning an organic being into an organic being, such as a Blargian to a sheep. Then making the weapon more and more complex so that it doesn't just do a standard template and actually base the end result on the unlucky sod you zapped. And working on going from squishy -> robot conversion.

Of course that's probably way too reasonable for this universe.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Alkydere posted:

Well, there's also the progression. Turning an organic being into an organic being, such as a Blargian to a sheep. Then making the weapon more and more complex so that it doesn't just do a standard template and actually base the end result on the unlucky sod you zapped. And working on going from squishy -> robot conversion.

Of course that's probably way too reasonable for this universe.

I don't think it's too reasonable for the R&C universe since while all of the known villains are be over the top in terms of their performances, the reason Nefarious is the best villain of the franchise is because his intelligence makes him the most effective villain. All of his plans have had some simple to understand reasoning behind them:
  • Creating the Amoeboids - Destroy all organic either directly or by making the exterminator bots more inclined to attack any organic lifeform they see as evidenced by the fact that they'll attack Ratchet without provocation.
  • Creating the Biobliterator - Turn all organic life into robots.
  • Taking control of the Great Clock - Stop our heroes from thwarting his first two plans.
  • Unleashing the Light Eating Z'Grute - Kill Ratchet, Clank, and Qwark.
Hell, I'm pretty sure Kalon said at one point during the Into the Nexus LP that Nefarious was supposed to have appearance in the game in which he would refuse to be Vendra Prog's ally believing that her plan was stupid despite seemingly having no problems working with Drek in the new movie as his chief engineer. So while he has an ego and a tendency to malfunction at the most comedic moments, he isn't as stupid as other villains.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 30, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

Hell, I'm pretty sure Kalon said at one point during the Into the Nexus LP that Nefarious was supposed to have appearance in the game in which he would refuse to be Vendra Prog's ally believing that her plan was stupid

Nope. As far as I'm aware, the only times Nefarious was supposed to appear in Into the Nexus was the one picture in the opening cutscene and then his statue in the museum.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

kalonZombie posted:

Nope. As far as I'm aware, the only times Nefarious was supposed to appear in Into the Nexus was the one picture in the opening cutscene and then his statue in the museum.

Huh, I thought that this came up during the Into the Nexus LP but I guess not. :downs:

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Simple solution: Nefarious was cold one day and really wants a wool sweater. Thus the Sheepinator.

The great thing about the R&C universe is that could qualify as a legitimate reason.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Level 4 ducks.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

But The level 4 du

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Duck Level doesn't matter because the ducks are always the best even though they just keep getting better. The end.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?
Kalon is still a horrible liar for pretending that the desert has landmarks and that the sewer doesn't have to be measured up against the snowbeast level as well as the desert level.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Look there are parts of the desert where I can actually tell where I am without having to look at the map, whereas the sewer has none of that poo poo going for it.

They all stink, but the sewer stinks the most.

Also the one in Into the Nexus is fun until you have to hunt down the last three loving things.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
In the PS2 version at least I know you can just use the rocket boots to get past the second Warp Point gate in time, so the Warp is literally mandatory for one section.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've only used the PDA once. In Size Matters the weapons are terrible and the final boss has too much health so you run out of ammo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Crosspeice posted:

I've only used the PDA once. In Size Matters the weapons are terrible and the final boss has too much health so you run out of ammo.

I used it in the last level of this very game because gently caress not being able to use your best weapons endlessly against the hordes of HP you have to chew through in that fight (and also gently caress running back to the vendor to restock over and over again).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Ape, it's people like you like make me hate my job as a cashier. gently caress you and your $2 bills.

• Locked thread