Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will dethrone ZSB First for Titles?
Miami
GT
UNC
NCSU
BC
FSU
Clemson
EA Sports
NO ONE
View Results

• Locked thread
Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

John Brown posted:

E: Crazy that there's still poo poo to learn about this game at this point.

nothing like EA Magic on this earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I'll get my game in tonight hopefully. Lost the last few days to Mardi Gras

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Diodeous posted:

I'll get my game in tonight hopefully. Lost the last few days to Mardi Gras

Nawlins will get after ya.

e: I'll advance after Dio plays his game.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 11, 2016

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Playing it tonight for sure. Will update here when it's done

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

R2a

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Advanced. Everyone should have a cpu game.

ENJOY

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

On a bye but at least I'm getting one over with.

r2a.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

On a bye but at least I'm getting one over with.

r2a.

Everyone had a bye in the first 4 weeks I'm p sure. And one mid season bye. I tried really hard to not have them clump up.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

It's all good man. I'm really ok with getting one of them out of the way (as long as it's not opening week of course) :)

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
That feeling when you are on the inside track for your first strong armed QB in any of these dynasties, when QB is a need

:feelsgood:

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Dubious posted:

That feeling when you are on the inside track for your first strong armed QB in any of these dynasties, when QB is a need

:feelsgood:

Congrats.

90THP feels like the threshold to throw good bombs. Anything above is extra.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Week 3 y'all. I may end up spreading my recruiting points thin, but I'm trying a new strategy.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Z...don't be a bitch lol.

VT is so overpowered as it is that you should've have to pick on Pitt to get a TE.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

Z...don't be a bitch lol.

VT is so overpowered as it is that you should've have to pick on Pitt to get a TE.

I mean I don't think I've given myself a unfair advantage with the rosters, and recruiting should be an even slate now.

I have to chase some high end talent man, GT has already taken like 4 players off my board with insta commits, and I'm trying to find LBs worth a poo poo because that position is impossible to man.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 16, 2016

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I mean I don't think I've given myself a unfair advantage with the rosters, and recruiting should be an even slate now.

I have to chase some high end talent man, GT has already taken like 4 players off my board with insta commits, and I'm trying to find LBs worth a poo poo because that position is impossible to man.

Haha I wasn't accusing you of anything - just giving you poo poo. Never did I for one second expect you to back down. It's fair game. Also, I'd never accuse you of cheating. I just think the game itself overrates V-Tech's DEs and HBs.

I've got a bit of a secret with LBs (and really defense), and since this game may not last us much longer I'll go ahead and spill it. As Nebraska I really struggled with landing quality starters on my front seven for the first couple of seasons. To fix this I thought I'd try an old scheme that had gotten lost over time: hybrids.

LBs: It began when I noticed that my 97OVR safety had the highest Tackle and Hit Power ratings than anyone else on my team. Since then I've been scouting safeties with the same attribute to play MLB and ROLB. In the defense I play, those two positions typically play 50/50 in coverage/blitzing while the LOLB is the pass rusher. For the latter position, I now focus on LBs who have higher than normal Block Shedding and Power/Finesse moves, or speed DEs. This seems to have worked out very well on LSU as I took an 80 OVR freshman DE with 83 SPD, and stood him up at LOLB. Sure, he lost some points in his overall rating, but there's a 3rd down formation I love where he has his hands in the dirt and wreaks havoc. This is also helpful when facing speedy QBs who can outrun your typical 75-80 SPD DEs. Lastly, having converted safeties at MLB/ROLB pays off tremendously when they have to cover TEs and HBs. My ROLB Outlaw on Nebraska won the best LB award twice, and maxed out with 96 OVR and 93 SPD. He was a converted FS.

DE: Almost like the opposite of the concept above, if I can find a speedy LB with above average (or even high) pass rushing attributes then I put him at either LOLB or DE depending on what I have a need for. This helps in my zone defense when I want one of my ends to drop into a surprising underneath coverage.

DT: As expected many DEs make good, or even great, pass-rushing DTs. But the next point is the biggest secret of them all...find you a speedy LB who has good pass-rushing stats and put him at DT. This was by far the best surprise of all my scheming. If you go look now on Nebraska's roster I have a DT who is 97 OVR and about 85 SPD. I can't tell you how much this pays off with chasing down QBs and HBs in the backfield even if it just means getting a hand on them. The front seven on that team is absolutely monstrous.

WR: The next best secret to the DT position was converting a TE to WR. I did this for South Carolina and my WR Mike Fine led my team in YAC, YDs, and TDs, in his sophomore season. He was able to break any press by any player, hand hands like a WR, and could make guys miss in the open field. The recipe is to find a speedy receiving TE who has decent rushing stats. However, I've learned that if you want to take full advantage consider leaving them at TE for the first two years (with one being a redshirt). If you immediately convert them to WR they'll become a possession player at that position and will likely never increase in speed again. Instead, if you wait two years he could get up to 86-90 SPD by the time their a redshirted sophomore, and you could convert them to WR then. He'd still have great receiving and running stats while being a little faster.

Anyway, there's my secret to all of my roster moves besides the most obvious of redshirting nearly every single player where I can. The TE conversion is the hardest to pull because they're the second most difficult position to recruit for.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I absolutely agree that position shuffling can create some really good guys at other spots. The issue I've run into moving SS/FS types down a level is almost entirely tied to their weight and block shedding. They can get so mauled if they don't get past a block that I've been wary (although I almost exclusively ran that with VT in seasons 2/3 here). I usually just put a priority on recruiting fast DEs you can be 80 ovr but if your speed isn't above 80 I won't bother. DT is a little less specific for me, but I always want a fast lighter guy and a really heavy guy for short yardage.

The biggest problem this series has is that they stuck the roster limits at 70 when 85 is the scholarship limit irl. It makes depth almost impossible to build at the spots where you need bodies (Oline/Dline) and those specialty spots (TE/Safety). I'm always seemingly one person away from starting 60 something scrubs somehwere. I will say a good heavy TE can make a great FB in a pinch if you want to avoid having a walk on fill that spot.

I will say that while VT had amazing depth none of my RBs was above 84 to start the opening season I just had like 5 guys hovering around 80 who were young. I still will never be able to touch your return stats, but I'll continue to man ball things running it 40 times a game.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

My return game has fallen off lately. I've been really struggling with making more than one person miss.

E: And yet I'm still managing to win the awards in all of the leagues. Although, Cletus may snatch one from me soon. It's so frustrating because the biggest issue has been not being able to finish the return for a TD. There are many times when I take a ball back +50yds until I get caught from behind by a shoestring tackle.

E2: I've never had issues with coverted LBs getting blown up - probably because I focus on tackling and block shedding.

He's by far my favorite player I've ever had. Even when he gets beat on a cut by a TE he makes up for it very quickly, and that 77 Catch Rating has paid off a few times. I'll also put in on a WR in certain situations. This helps me bring out a slightly heavier set so that the opponent's offense doesn't dictate what I do.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 16, 2016

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

r2a.

Think we're just waiting on Dio.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Played mine last night and couldn't upload it. Will probably play it again tonight

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I'm r2a

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Advanced to week 4. Won't move until at least Monday.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I'm moving on Saturday so I may or may not need more time. We'll see how it goes.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

I'm moving on Saturday so I may or may not need more time. We'll see how it goes.

Yeah no worries, since we'll be the only dynasty still going shortly no rush.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Yeah no worries, since we'll be the only dynasty still going shortly no rush.

There's actually one more that you're not a part of lol. It's ran by Cletus and it's a free-for-all that he moved to the Independents.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

There's actually one more that you're not a part of lol. It's ran by Cletus and it's a free-for-all that he moved to the Independents.

I always sorta assumed that quietly died in the night, but surprise! Glad my independents plan turned into a wacky mess tho.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I really hope this leagues lasts long enough to see these recruits grow into superstars. Next season will be rough because my QB will be a 84-86 redshirted freshman.

This team had no depth whatsoever last season.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

If you think that's rough, take a look at my QB stable

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Diodeous posted:

If you think that's rough, take a look at my QB stable

You didn't recruit though lol.

My point was this team had no depth so the first year was focused on landing a QB and then filling up holes. This year I'm really able to focus on filling upcoming holes with talent, and replacing some of those previously recruited players.

E: Also, r2a. I stayed up a bit too late playing this drat game.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I'll take care of my game today.

I only took 1 year off from recruiting and man it hosed me. Looking like in 2 years I'll have it repaired

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Who we waiting on? I had a bye

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dubious fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 23, 2016

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I was at my bachelor party chill ya filthy table breaker.

Should have this advanced tomorrow night most likely.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I was at my bachelor party chill ya filthy table breaker.

Should have this advanced tomorrow night most likely.

I'm just playin :v:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

CPU games for all! Advanced to week 5, hopefully I can lock up a bunch of recruits this week and focus on filling out the rest of my board with upper 60s guys that can stick around a while.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Wtf dude. Even I'm not putting up with 60s after the first season.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

Wtf dude. Even I'm not putting up with 60s after the first season.

Too much of the other top end talent is either claimed off my board or they don't look as good as their rating. I've got about 10-12 players rated 78-81 on my board that im leading on though so it's not like I am not chasing fine players (they need to commit this week). I haven't gotten a single insta commit all season so I wasn't able to devote points to other better players sooner.

Plus guys that after a RS year will be middle low 70s don't transfer. I've lost so much talent to transfers because of their * rating and NEED TO PLAY NOW (AFTER SITTING ANOTHER YEAR). Plus if I get a better player later you can just cut them so yeah that's my theory on it. They either stay long enough to become decent, or they get cut when I don't need their depth.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 25, 2016

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Too much of the other top end talent is either claimed off my board or they don't look as good as their rating. I've got about 10-12 players rated 78-81 on my board that im leading on though so it's not like I am not chasing fine players (they need to commit this week). I haven't gotten a single insta commit all season so I wasn't able to devote points to other better players sooner.

Plus guys that after a RS year will be middle low 70s don't transfer. I've lost so much talent to transfers because of their * rating and NEED TO PLAY NOW (AFTER SITTING ANOTHER YEAR). Plus if I get a better player later you can just cut them so yeah that's my theory on it. They either stay long enough to become decent, or they get cut when I don't need their depth.

My initial comment came off as arrogant.

I've pretty much accepted the rotation of letting true freshman play in at least 3 games. I've also learned that all positions have to record a stat of some sort for it to count as "playing" time. So in other words I make sure my DBs get a tackle or a deflection, my DL and LBs get a tackle, and my offensive skill players record a yard of something. The hardest is olinemen because when they're so young they're never going to get a pancake so the only other option is for them to allow a sack. Of course, I don't try to do this purposely but it inevitably happens from them being lovely.

Players have only left after being redshirted their freshman year, or not recording a single stat in at least 3 games.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Totally agree and any player who comes in 78 or above gets a situational sub to get playing time so that I can assure them they'll play. I just know that when I was loading up on only those players I would lose 3-4 potential starters over a 2 year window to transfers when I couldn't get them enough time which always hurt my depth when I suddenly have a surprise hole while I was counting on that guy playing. It basically comes down to I hate letting the game throw walks on in there so I'd rather have an almost 70 player to let develop while I chase better talent. Got a frosh QB who is in on like 2 option packages so I can make sure he doesn't leave.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I usually sub in backups when my starters hit their weekly benchmark of stats in the game, or during the 3rd or 4th quarters of my last 3 CPU games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

R2a. This team is loving garbage.

• Locked thread