Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will dethrone ZSB First for Titles?
Miami
GT
UNC
NCSU
BC
FSU
Clemson
EA Sports
NO ONE
View Results

• Locked thread
Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.
I actually do have a CPU game this week. LA Tech, my CPU should be able to handle it and it's non conference so if you want to sim it I won't be too butt hurt.

I leave for my trip in like 10 minutes so Z, we'll have to get our B1G game in when I get back which is supposed to be Thursday/Friday but that's also in flux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Slywalker13 posted:

I actually do have a CPU game this week. LA Tech, my CPU should be able to handle it and it's non conference so if you want to sim it I won't be too butt hurt.

I leave for my trip in like 10 minutes so Z, we'll have to get our B1G game in when I get back which is supposed to be Thursday/Friday but that's also in flux.

Sounds good man. Only point of warning LA Tech made the national title game last year (where i crushed them), but you might want to play it when you get back. I'm never in a rush.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

ZSB, can you remove DE Jonathan Craig , WR AJ Yancey, and CB Matt Jones from your board please?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

ZSB, can you remove DE Jonathan Craig , WR AJ Yancey, and CB Matt Jones from your board please?

P sure I've got 0 points on Matt Jones you've been pulling away, Craig and Yancey as well no points on them either. I also can't let every decent recruit not be on my board. I've backed off the most important guys for you and Cletus. I'm p sure I can fix our roster issues in the off season either at the training stage or the position changes phase.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

The Notorious ZSB posted:

P sure I've got 0 points on Matt Jones you've been pulling away, Craig and Yancey as well no points on them either. I also can't let every decent recruit not be on my board. I've backed off the most important guys for you and Cletus. I'm p sure I can fix our roster issues in the off season either at the training stage or the position changes phase.

That's quite the exaggeration as I'm sure many of the best recruits want to go to VT after back-to-back national championships. I've been doing the same for others in the B1G and SEC and it's not hard at all. I'm a bit confused as to why you're being resistant.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Advanced.

VT vs FSU

Dubious lemme know what a good time is for you (not monday).

I am west coast and prefer after 8 my time. I work corporate and don't even get home until 6 most days and someone gets bitchy when I try play before 8.

And good lord this is gonna be a slaughter. I have poo poo at QB and a highly suspect defense. If we can't sync up within 2 or 3 days I'll take the AP,. Long advances for one game (if that happens to be us) suck for everyone.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

That's quite the exaggeration as I'm sure many of the best recruits want to go to VT after back-to-back national championships. I've been doing the same for others in the B1G and SEC and it's not hard at all. I'm a bit confused as to why you're being resistant.

Because we are all competing for the same folks at this point. When we are all in one conference killing it, the same recruits all basically want to go to the same schools. So either I empty my board down to like 3 or 4 decent recruits because you guys started at the front, I have to quit competing for all the talent? I get that the coach XP bug is a huge problem, but yeah when I'm looking at my board ive abandoned 10+ or so prospects I wanted to help you guys, it's hard for me to say "yeah sure just take all the recruits". I also have roster holes and short spots that I want to get filled. I was not #1 on very many of these guys to start, top 3 sure but that means I have to pick and choose how to put points in and I'm not abandoning getting top end players entirely just because I didn't start #1.

I simply feel like I've given you both plenty of concessions and backed of players enough already. If I took everyone you guys wanted off my board I would only be recruiting sub 70 ovr players because there is a huge gap in the talent and where things have shook out. The guys that want you #1 are not always the guys that actually address roster needs, and the guys you mentioned I've already backed off more to my point.

It's not like I constantly pull #1 recruiting classes with VT, I've not once ever done that in this league. So I'm trying to help, but asking every week to back off when I already have to the degree I think I can, just accept not all of us could back of every recruit. You've got a lead on all the guys you mentioned and I'm trailing back every week. The flip answer can go to you, maybe find more recruits that aren't in competition with other users if you want I guess mainly me, sly, dio to abandon chunks of the board. The need to only land 4 & 5* guys + the limited roster #s is a pit for recruiting desire. Find those 68-74 3* dudes that you can land and build depth. The whole reason I wanted a long term dynasty was so that we'd really push all the aspects of the game.

But I also recognize the xp bug is deeply aggravating which is why I'll consider a refresh for the new fall rosters.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 17, 2015

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Obviously you own the decision to restart or not. I just figured with 3 people affected by it that option is a no-brainer. More importantly, I wanted to avoid arguments like this because I knew eventually someone would get frustrated with having to drop recruits. I feel your pain because it took me a couple of seasons to adjust to this recruiting system, but it seems like you haven't yet as last season's class with OSU may have been your best ever. Regardless of what happens for next season I am more than willing to give you some pointers.

Knowing how you build your teams I think you put a bit too much effort into the front four - especially on the ends. After HBs and WRs, DE is the easiest position to recruit for so you could ease up a bit. A rule of thumb I have (excluding HBs, CBs, DTs and WRs) is to not recruit at a single position for consecutive years. Obviously if there's a stud I'm going to break this rule, but even with my hard-on for safeties I only keep a max of 3, with the youngest one likely being on redshirt. The reason my Nebraska roster (and pre-bugged Miami) were so stacked at every single position was because I DO recruit by need first, and then BPA second. Try going every other year on DEs and DTs and see if that helps balance out your roster.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

Obviously you own the decision to restart or not. I just figured with 3 people affected by it that option is a no-brainer. More importantly, I wanted to avoid arguments like this because I knew eventually someone would get frustrated with having to drop recruits. I feel your pain because it took me a couple of seasons to adjust to this recruiting system, but it seems like you haven't yet as last season's class with OSU may have been your best ever. Regardless of what happens for next season I am more than willing to give you some pointers.

Knowing how you build your teams I think you put a bit too much effort into the front four - especially on the ends. After HBs and WRs, DE is the easiest position to recruit for so you could ease up a bit. A rule of thumb I have (excluding HBs, CBs, DTs and WRs) is to not recruit at a single position for consecutive years. Obviously if there's a stud I'm going to break this rule, but even with my hard-on for safeties I only keep a max of 3, with the youngest one likely being on redshirt. The reason my Nebraska roster (and pre-bugged Miami) were so stacked at every single position was because I DO recruit by need first, and then BPA second. Try going every other year on DEs and DTs and see if that helps balance out your roster.

Mostly I just want to be able to keep plugging along in this file on my own if it were possible, but I'm not sure EA will let me commish two dynasties which would mean I'd have to kill this one and yeah that makes me sad since I'd just make it an offline one if I could.

It's been very hard to only go by need as often the guys I need you end up with a recruiting class that just isn't very good at your spots of need, but there are BPA guys who you'd want to nab just from a prestige/value side.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'm honestly thinking I'd rather do a restart for this one or drop down to 2 dynasties. With Madden 16 coming up next week I'll need to dedicate time to herding cats for the PS4 league.

That XP bug is a killer when you're up against maxed out coaches and deep recruting classes. I'm just now getting UCLA to an acceptable level and there's still alot of holes to fill that will take one or two more recruiting classes.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Mostly I just want to be able to keep plugging along in this file on my own if it were possible, but I'm not sure EA will let me commish two dynasties which would mean I'd have to kill this one and yeah that makes me sad since I'd just make it an offline one if I could.

It's been very hard to only go by need as often the guys I need you end up with a recruiting class that just isn't very good at your spots of need, but there are BPA guys who you'd want to nab just from a prestige/value side.

Cletus is running two dynasties so I'll let him chime in on that. But iirc you had to buy the upgrade before they killed the ability to purchase such things.

As for recruiting, there are many times when I break my rule and decide to keep a guy rated 73-75, and by the time they become redshirted seniors many of them have jumped to at least 92OVR.

Dubious posted:

That XP bug is a killer when you're up against maxed out coaches and deep recruting classes. I'm just now getting UCLA to an acceptable level and there's still alot of holes to fill that will take one or two more recruiting classes.

Did any of my roster adjustments stick in the B1G?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't notice anything different. I still am starting the most patchwork O line ever. My backup Center is in at LT, i have two trash rookie guards.

Against the CPU if I don't scramble from a blitz it's a sure sack.

That said, I'm winning the battle pretty handily on a new Tackle and Guard, and am hoping to close out on one more of each.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

Cletus is running two dynasties so I'll let him chime in on that. But iirc you had to buy the upgrade before they killed the ability to purchase such things.

As for recruiting, there are many times when I break my rule and decide to keep a guy rated 73-75, and by the time they become redshirted seniors many of them have jumped to at least 92OVR.

Did any of my roster adjustments stick in the B1G?

Seems like the times for that to stick are during the offseason once you're in season commish can only seem to make lasting changes to their own team.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

It's kind of ridiculous you're only willing to take top flight recruits and that's a terrible way to build depth. I have plenty of guys who don't start until their senior year and were only 67-72 OVR. A lot of my top classes are heavily inflated by guys who are busts but have high star ratings. I have only been able to recruit on the same level as most of you guys for the past couple of seasons. I just suck it up, shift my scheme dependent on what players I have and pray that my defense isn't a total sieve. If you guys are #1 on a recruit I back off and find someone else who can fill that roster spot until the next cycle. You don't need a team of only 90+ OVR players to be competitive.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Diodeous posted:

It's kind of ridiculous you're only willing to take top flight recruits and that's a terrible way to build depth. I have plenty of guys who don't start until their senior year and were only 67-72 OVR. A lot of my top classes are heavily inflated by guys who are busts but have high star ratings. I have only been able to recruit on the same level as most of you guys for the past couple of seasons. I just suck it up, shift my scheme dependent on what players I have and pray that my defense isn't a total sieve. If you guys are #1 on a recruit I back off and find someone else who can fill that roster spot until the next cycle. You don't need a team of only 90+ OVR players to be competitive.

This is true, but if you don't have a team of only 90+ OVR starters then you're not beating VT. History has taught us this.

Before you joined our league I ran with NC State and Wake and built them both to championship contenders. I'll never do that with this stupid bug.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Hey Dubious, tonight, tomorrow like 8-830 pst?

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
Agghhh drat it OK I am all for a reboot.

I had ND beat 38-37 with 8 seconds to go, and then they were returning it for a TD so I had to quit out. Will try again later. Motherfuckers!

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hey Dubious, tonight, tomorrow like 8-830 pst?

tonight is no good. Let's shoot for tomorrow at 830.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dubious posted:

tonight is no good. Let's shoot for tomorrow at 830.

Sounds good. See ya then.

I am currently watching videos on how to mod the game to include the 4 team playoff, fix some of the poll logic etc. If I can pull all of that off, I may try and get crazy with a restart.

e: apparently this stuff only works for offline dynasties alas

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 18, 2015

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
Yeah that mod poo poo is crazy and I wouldn't worry about it. We should just enjoy the game as it is for as long as they keep the servers afloat.

GT finally demolishes ND, 65-21. GT r2a. gently caress ND.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

How many attempts did it take you lol?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The new rosters I found are again modified to Madden ratings standards and not the NCAA logic. I'll slowly work my way through them, and it seems like the overwhelming desire is for us to start a new dynasty (maybe sooner than the end of this season, but maybe not?). I'll listen since I'd rather play this game longer with you guys than not. The game just isn't very fun I find when your guys just poo poo themselves all over the field p often, that first SEC season was annoying for everyone. I do think I may work on the injury ratings as most folks have had basically superhuman rosters when it comes to injuries, and I feel like maybe that's an area I could mess with to warrant using more of the depth on our depth chart.

Big debate - create a coach with a base of lvl 20-30 to start or should we just use the preexisting coaches?

I guess I'll start taking input on what we'd like the next one to look like, divisions again or round robin like I've got this season setup with? The restart will open the door for someone to claim Clemson, or Louisville both of whom should be quality outfits moving into this fresh season.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 19, 2015

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Just be careful with injury ratings. That was also one of the big flaws in the first two seasons of the SEC - guys were dropping like flies.

If we're restarting I vote we go back to divisions since we have the players to do so. I'm gonna roll with Pitt. This will be the last dynasty and I want to see if I can still turn a franchise around, but I'd also like to stay in the division with V-Tech.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

John Brown posted:

How many attempts did it take you lol?
Well it says 5 restarts, but I know it always starts at 2, and I know one of them I had to abandon the game early on because of work - so just 2. I guess not that bad, but I was pissed that I had them beat in that one game by a point and they were returning it for a TD with no time left on the clock.

Yancey hosed them up this time though, I think he ran for like 6-7 TDs. Dude is a beast.

John Brown posted:

If we're restarting I vote we go back to divisions since we have the players to do so. I'm gonna roll with Pitt. This will be the last dynasty and I want to see if I can still turn a franchise around, but I'd also like to stay in the division with V-Tech.
I will definitely stay with GT. Feel like I've gotten them pretty far even with the XP bug, at least 2 Heismans (of course I don't get poo poo for XP for that).

I think we should also start a GroupMe room and possibly see if Adam/Vandy (also playing as Nebraska in DrunkDynasty) would want to join - he seems reliable (BTW ZSB, he was trying to schedule with you in GM for your game with him in the SEC). I think we might have one other reliable guy in DrunkDynasty too - maybe two - the guys playing as Texas and South Carolina. Just a thought if we want to really fill it up. I don't know that they'd all want to join or if y'all would even want to bother asking though.

cletus42o fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 19, 2015

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I'm good for a restart whenever, doing it now may be the most prudent. I vote for max coach XP on entering league. I think we all agree it's a stupid mechanic plus that way people who may join latter and those who quit but come back aren't handicapped. I'm in favor of a round Robin. Granted after the first iron triangle or whatever I'll be against it but I just like it when everyone plays everyone.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

Just be careful with injury ratings. That was also one of the big flaws in the first two seasons of the SEC - guys were dropping like flies.

Totally remember that, all of them seem really low in the 60s or 70s on the rosters as they stand. I'm curious if that or the slider has more of an effect on the occurrence of injuries. At this point I'm prepared to say we can all abandon arguing about recruiting as this will be our last season on this file. I do want to see how this plays out so probably when this season concludes I'll start it. Didn't play through 6 seasons not to play everyone's recruited teams!

I am okay with Sly's suggestion of maxed out coaches to start.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I vote max coach xp with divisions intact. I'll still roll with NCSU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I cant play tonight im still loving stuck downtown. Burn seattle transit to the ground.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Can push the start to 9 pst if that makes any difference

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Can push the start to 9 pst if that makes any difference
It won't unless I want to enter Ye Olde Doghouse. Took 3 hours to get home (15 miles :suicide:)

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Typical women loving up e-football

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dubious posted:

It won't unless I want to enter Ye Olde Doghouse. Took 3 hours to get home (15 miles :suicide:)

All good man I understand, prb can't be up that late tonight maybe this weekend then.

Editing rosters is slow and tiring....

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
We are moving forward with a reset correct? I just want to double check before I stop recruiting this this season.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

It seems like we are

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I guess so I've basically resigned myself to that at this point.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

gently caress yea. I can't wait to use Pitt.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Got any time before 3 tomorrow Dubiouss?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

If you can't play late tonight or tomorrow before 4 CT or so man I'm just gonna play the game and move us along.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

If you can't play late tonight or tomorrow before 4 CT or so man I'm just gonna play the game and move us along.

Do that I'm kinda checked out on this dynasty and have been playing a bunch of madden 16 since tuesday anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Advanced.

Only user game is VT @ NCSU, Dio is your internet situation any better?

• Locked thread