Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
I've had depression since I was about 7, finally diagnosed at 16, been on 3 different medications which all helped to varying degrees. I am 35 now and really only in the past few years have gotten used to dealing with it efficiently.

As I'm sure you know, life difficulties are not a cause (I've felt in complete despair many times when nothing at all was wrong), but they can definitely be a trigger. The more things you are going through that are tough, the more likely you are to have a depressive episode. This is the best advice I can give to help manage it:

-Therapy: the #1 thing that made the biggest impact for me was cognitive behavioral therapy. There is a great book called Mind Over Mood that I used in conjunction with my therapist.

-Medication if applicable; you may have to try a few to find the one that works best for you. Most have side effects that can range from mild to really annoying (weight gain, nightmares, sexual problems) which could cause more depression, so it's up to you.

-Animal exposure: if you have a pet or know someone with a pet, several studies have proven that interacting with animals can decrease anxiety.

-meditation: deep relaxation and breathing exercises really helped take the edge off some negative feelings for me.

-eating well, enough sleep and exercise: if your body is running on fumes and garbage you're not going to feel as well physically which will lead to depressed feelings.

Some people will tell you you need to get out with friends and be social, but this is really only good advice if you're lonely
Or naturally social. If you're an introvert this can make it worse! I find for me, withdrawing for awhile is what I need to help me recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread