Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm on 8.1 for now (new Lumia 640 I literally got less than 12 hours ago) but its nice to know its not my phone trying to block SA by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How do I turn notifications off for the app? It constantly comes up, even during gaming...

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ThermoPhysical posted:

How do I turn notifications off for the app? It constantly comes up, even during gaming...

Until I untie the options, turn off bookmark live tiles.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
I have this app on my surface 3 and was curious, are the forums supposed to be in reverse? For example in discussion Goons In Platoon is the first subforum and Games is the last. Is there a way to change it so it's the same as the site?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

GopherFlats posted:

I have this app on my surface 3 and was curious, are the forums supposed to be in reverse? For example in discussion Goons In Platoon is the first subforum and Games is the last. Is there a way to change it so it's the same as the site?

It's a bug with how the forums are stored in the database. Basically after I first parse the forums when you load the app, it saves the list to the database so I don't have to do it again. When they are saved, it uses the forums actual ID values as the primary key, and loads it from that list. The problem is that the ids are not the order the forums are displayed, so they are in the right categories, but not the right order.

Right now you can favorite the forums you go to a lot (Hold down or right click the forum) and click "Add as Favorite" to get it to appear at the top.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Until I untie the options, turn off bookmark live tiles.

I did that and it still gave me notifications.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ThermoPhysical posted:

I did that and it still gave me notifications.

Well then Windows 10 is not turning off background notifications like Windows 8 did, because the same code worked there :sigh:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Right click the notification in the Action Center > Turn off notifications for this app

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've just had my first crash to desktop with the app, no idea why. Also, saving images via double click doesn't appear to work; it asks me if I want to save, then immediately says it failed after clicking okay. I haven't got W10 on mobile to test it there.

On a side note, I haven't been on the desktop site since I got Windows 10; this app is radical and I have no need for some scrub-tier 'website' anymore.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've just had my first crash to desktop with the app, no idea why. Also, saving images via double click doesn't appear to work; it asks me if I want to save, then immediately says it failed after clicking okay. I haven't got W10 on mobile to test it there.

On a side note, I haven't been on the desktop site since I got Windows 10; this app is radical and I have no need for some scrub-tier 'website' anymore.

Check if your Windows 10 Pictures library has a directory assigned to it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Done, and the answer is yes, with a but. All of my pictures are in OneDrive, so when I synced my OneDrive folders there were now two sets of Pictures folders in my user directory - I deleted the empty one (the original non-OneDrive one) and Windows then automatically set my Pictures directory to D:\OneDrive. Is it possible that deleting that spare folder has screwed things up? Is there anywhere I can check, other than looking under Properties for the Pictures folder in my user directory?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Done, and the answer is yes, with a but. All of my pictures are in OneDrive, so when I synced my OneDrive folders there were now two sets of Pictures folders in my user directory - I deleted the empty one (the original non-OneDrive one) and Windows then automatically set my Pictures directory to D:\OneDrive. Is it possible that deleting that spare folder has screwed things up? Is there anywhere I can check, other than looking under Properties for the Pictures folder in my user directory?

:shrug: I'm guessing that it can't save to the OneDrive directory directly because of a permissions error, or something along those lines. Based on what you said I assumed it would be something like that (either not existing or not being able to write to it). I'll add it to the list.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
My last update finally went through last night, so now I can start getting ready for another update.

I fixed the forum listing issue:

However I had to get creative with how I was saving them to the database. Basically, I need to reinitialize it so on the next update, all favorite forums will be cleaned. Sorry, but I would rather not risk blowing up the app on a migration than just doing it this way :shrug:.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Anybody else have an issue with the bookmarks not updating? I can browse the forums for a little while but then I get an error message about the bookmarks and it crashes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Starting up on the Bookmarks page works, but the list seems to be in thread ID order, and doesn't refresh automatically at start.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

nielsm posted:

Starting up on the Bookmarks page works, but the list seems to be in thread ID order, and doesn't refresh automatically at start.

Both fixed already, I just need to get another update out. The bookmark listing is the same issue as with the forums (PrimaryKey being the forumID, but now it will be a specific "BookmarkID" to maintain that order) and the "Refresh when you go back to bookmarks" was fixed earlier in the week, but was not apart of the last update because of the weird poo poo the store was doing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a way to minimize/resize the subforum view when inside of a thread?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Avocados posted:

Is there a way to minimize/resize the subforum view when inside of a thread?

Currently no, unless you resize the window. I can implement this though, so I'll add it to the list.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Spoiler tags. They aren't working.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I haven't updated to the build you just posted, but on my Win8.1 Dell Venue 8 Pro, threads occasionally refuse to load in full. Hitting the jump to newest post button when I know I'm on a new page will only load a few new posts, no matter how many times I refresh. Not sure if this is a known issue or something that's been fixed.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Papercut posted:

I haven't updated to the build you just posted, but on my Win8.1 Dell Venue 8 Pro, threads occasionally refuse to load in full. Hitting the jump to newest post button when I know I'm on a new page will only load a few new posts, no matter how many times I refresh. Not sure if this is a known issue or something that's been fixed.

I'm not updating the Windows 8.1 build anymore. If it's graphics heavy it may be memory issues, which I'm working on for the supported 10 version. But yeah, sorry.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

More problems, not sure if they are isolated to my system.

Entering the Bookmarks view is insanely slow. As in, takes half a minute or something where the entire UI is just frozen. No throbbers or grayed-out shown. In addition to happening when starting the app into Bookmarks view, and selecting it from the side menu, it also seems to happen when reloading the list.

The back button misbehaves with the Bookmarks view. If I start the app into Bookmarks, then chooses e.g. Settings, then About, then Bookmarks again,and enters a thread from Bookmarks, the Back button goes back to first About. If I then choose Bookmarks in the side menu again and enters another thread, then Back will take me further back, to Settings this time.
I'm not entirely sure about the order of action here, but that's what I remember doing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Refreshing bookmarks is pretty slow for me too, but I assumed it was because my internet is complete loving garbage.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

nielsm posted:

More problems, not sure if they are isolated to my system.

Entering the Bookmarks view is insanely slow. As in, takes half a minute or something where the entire UI is just frozen. No throbbers or grayed-out shown. In addition to happening when starting the app into Bookmarks view, and selecting it from the side menu, it also seems to happen when reloading the list.

The back button misbehaves with the Bookmarks view. If I start the app into Bookmarks, then chooses e.g. Settings, then About, then Bookmarks again,and enters a thread from Bookmarks, the Back button goes back to first About. If I then choose Bookmarks in the side menu again and enters another thread, then Back will take me further back, to Settings this time.
I'm not entirely sure about the order of action here, but that's what I remember doing.

If bookmarks load slow, there is about an 80% chance it's Something Awful itself being slow when pulling it down. It should not screw up the UI (as in, you should be able to select something else and have that action cancel) but I can't reproduce that.

For the back button, that's working as expected. At least based on what you described. The back button works on page navigation. If you have the bookmarks list AND the thread next to each other, that's actually one page. So it's actually

Bookmarks/Thread > Settings > About > Bookmarks/Thread

Now, if you shrink the window down so you only see the thread, THAT is actually a seperate page, so it should go

Bookmarks > Settings > About > Bookmarks > Thread

And then if you click the back button, you'll go back to bookmarks, you'll go back through the page navigation. Back to the original bookmarks opening page. If you navigate to multiple threads, the back button won't go back through that list. Because it's not navigating through multiple pages, it's just changing what's on screen.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

If bookmarks load slow, there is about an 80% chance it's Something Awful itself being slow when pulling it down. It should not screw up the UI (as in, you should be able to select something else and have that action cancel) but I can't reproduce that.

For the back button, that's working as expected. At least based on what you described. The back button works on page navigation. If you have the bookmarks list AND the thread next to each other, that's actually one page. So it's actually

Bookmarks/Thread > Settings > About > Bookmarks/Thread

Now, if you shrink the window down so you only see the thread, THAT is actually a seperate page, so it should go

Bookmarks > Settings > About > Bookmarks > Thread

And then if you click the back button, you'll go back to bookmarks, you'll go back through the page navigation. Back to the original bookmarks opening page. If you navigate to multiple threads, the back button won't go back through that list. Because it's not navigating through multiple pages, it's just changing what's on screen.

I should have been clearer.

As far as I can tell, it's not reaching for the network at all when I do this navigation to the Bookmarks page. It just freezes. After it unfreezes it's still showing an old bookmarks list, I have to press Reload after that to also get the new bookmarks. During that reload it also seems to freeze, instead of showing a throbber.

Also, when experiencing this I was using the app on a tablet in vertical 800x1280 resolution, so the Bookmarks/thread view was only ever showing one or the other, not showing them side by side as they do when reading on my HTPC running 1920x1080.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Drastic, can I give you money for this app? Like, add a donate option with paypal or something. I appreciate all the work you put in. You deserve my cash.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Posting from a HP Stream 8 running Windows 10. Under 8.1 the app scaled very nicely to the screen size but now everything is just a little bit too small for my tastes, which is odd because the other apps I've checked (Twitter, for instance) scale properly. Is there any way to change the scaling of the app, or at the very least increase the text size?

[Edit: also how do you bookmark a thread while reading it?]

[Edit edit: tried changing the global scaling setting from 100% to 125%... the app apparently ignored it somehow :psyduck: Tiny forums it is!]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 10, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is the new app available on the Store for phones running the Windows 10 preview? The description is for the Windows 10 version, but the interface is still the 8.1 version, despite uninstalling and reinstalling. I also can't open the app from my home screen; it brings up an error message saying "This app couldn't install", but it opens just fine from the Store itself, bizarrely.

Sorry, this may all relate to the previous version of the app, but it's on Windows 10, so :shrug: I'm aware this could just be bugs in the preview build, so if that's the case then I'll have to be patient!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

lelandjs posted:

Posting from a HP Stream 8 running Windows 10. Under 8.1 the app scaled very nicely to the screen size but now everything is just a little bit too small for my tastes, which is odd because the other apps I've checked (Twitter, for instance) scale properly. Is there any way to change the scaling of the app, or at the very least increase the text size?

[Edit: also how do you bookmark a thread while reading it?]

[Edit edit: tried changing the global scaling setting from 100% to 125%... the app apparently ignored it somehow :psyduck: Tiny forums it is!]

I'm not doing anything special with fonts or scaling. It works totally fine on my Surface Pro 3 and Dell XPS 13 (Both of which have DPI scaling on) so I'm not sure what you're issue could be.

Right now you can't add a bookmark directly from a thread. You can hold down on a thread in the thread list to do it. I can add it to the thread view at some point.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is the new app available on the Store for phones running the Windows 10 preview? The description is for the Windows 10 version, but the interface is still the 8.1 version, despite uninstalling and reinstalling. I also can't open the app from my home screen; it brings up an error message saying "This app couldn't install", but it opens just fine from the Store itself, bizarrely.

Sorry, this may all relate to the previous version of the app, but it's on Windows 10, so :shrug: I'm aware this could just be bugs in the preview build, so if that's the case then I'll have to be patient!

Because you can't use the mobile version yet. The current build in the store does not work on the build for mobile phones. From what I'm guessing, when a newer build is released, it should let you download the actual 10 release. But until then, you would have to use the current Windows Phone 8.1 version.

Note, I can't even deploy copies of it to my own phones running it from Visual Studio. I would have to use the emulator until a newer phone build comes out.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drastic Actions posted:

I'm not doing anything special with fonts or scaling. It works totally fine on my Surface Pro 3 and Dell XPS 13 (Both of which have DPI scaling on) so I'm not sure what you're issue could be.

Strange, here's a screenshot of how it looks:

The buttons on the side and the text are way smaller than they should be (this is at 125% scaling). Like, the buttons are less than a quarter inch big and pretty hard to press, and the button labels are like 4pt. A few other apps are exhibiting the same issue (Reddhub, for instance), while others (Twitter) are not. Maybe it's an issue with apps that are using old Windows 8 code instead of using the new universal app framework? The app scaled perfectly for the few minutes I used it on 8.1 while 10 was downloading.

For comparison, this is how Twitter scales on my tablet's 8" display:

The buttons and fonts are significantly bigger by comparison.

[Edit: Wait, what the gently caress, I just checked both screenshots on my laptop and the fonts and stuff look exactly the same size, what the gently caress is going on here :psyboom:]

Drastic Actions posted:

Right now you can't add a bookmark directly from a thread. You can hold down on a thread in the thread list to do it. I can add it to the thread view at some point.

Ah okay. I'd used the app awhile ago on an older laptop and thought I remembered being able to bookmark threads, but I guess not.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 11, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

lelandjs posted:

Strange, here's a screenshot of how it looks:

The buttons on the side and the text are way smaller than they should be (this is at 125% scaling). Like, the buttons are less than a quarter inch big and pretty hard to press, and the button labels are like 4pt. A few other apps are exhibiting the same issue (Reddhub, for instance), while others (Twitter) are not. Maybe it's an issue with apps that are using old Windows 8 code instead of using the new universal app framework? The app scaled perfectly for the few minutes I used it on 8.1 while 10 was downloading.

Yeah, that's not the UWP version, that's 8.1. You have to uninstall it and reinstall to get the new version.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drastic Actions posted:

Yeah, that's not the UWP version, that's 8.1. You have to uninstall it and reinstall to get the new version.

:negative:

...Windows Store told me that it updated when when I updated to Windows 10. Obviously it did not. Everything's better now.

Still doesn't explain why the elements looked right in the screenshot, though. Oh well.

[Edit: Okay, proper build now, but a new issue/request: I like reading some threads in landscape, such as the comic strip thread because the images scale nicely to, well, basically comic strip size. But landscape mode now has the split view, which means that the threads only take up half the screen, leading to tiny comic strips. Is there a way to disable split view in landscape?]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 11, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

lelandjs posted:

[Edit: Okay, proper build now, but a new issue/request: I like reading some threads in landscape, such as the comic strip thread because the images scale nicely to, well, basically comic strip size. But landscape mode now has the split view, which means that the threads only take up half the screen, leading to tiny comic strips. Is there a way to disable split view in landscape?]

Already was brought up. It's on my list of things to add/change. Right now you can't.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Hey Drastic

:stare:

Closing the app and restarting it set it back to normal, but that was weird. The buttons all worked though!

(also now that I have a bit of downtime and Windows 10 on my machine I swear to god I will actually try to help you out with layout stuff)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Hey Drastic

:stare:

Closing the app and restarting it set it back to normal, but that was weird. The buttons all worked though!

(also now that I have a bit of downtime and Windows 10 on my machine I swear to god I will actually try to help you out with layout stuff)

The frame works like this: there is the "main page" frame that has the split view, and inside of that is another frame that handles the rest of the app. What I'm guessing happened is that you somehow managed to get the main page to get navigated to again in the inner frame. I'll look out for it.

The error is a SQLite exception :(

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think it's Windows 10 rather than the app, but when I download the Awful app off the Store on the current 10512 build of W10 Mobile, it simply won't install - it seems to get to the end of the process, then gives the error code 0x80070002 and says it 'can't find the app'. Attempting to reinstall, it doesn't download the whole app again, so it's there somewhere, but it can't install. When I first upgraded to W10 Mobile it couldn't run the app unless I opened it through the Store, now on the current build I can't access it at all.

Any idea on the inner workings of W10 so I can fix it and use the app, or shall I just chalk it up to being a preview build? On desktop it seems to involve deleting temporary files, but how you do that on mobile I have no idea.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there a way to hide the avatar placeholder? I always run with them disabled.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

kri kri posted:

Is there a way to hide the avatar placeholder? I always run with them disabled.

Right now? No. Technically it's a CSS bug because it should collapse it on its own, so I have to fix it.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I think it's Windows 10 rather than the app, but when I download the Awful app off the Store on the current 10512 build of W10 Mobile, it simply won't install - it seems to get to the end of the process, then gives the error code 0x80070002 and says it 'can't find the app'. Attempting to reinstall, it doesn't download the whole app again, so it's there somewhere, but it can't install. When I first upgraded to W10 Mobile it couldn't run the app unless I opened it through the Store, now on the current build I can't access it at all.

Any idea on the inner workings of W10 so I can fix it and use the app, or shall I just chalk it up to being a preview build? On desktop it seems to involve deleting temporary files, but how you do that on mobile I have no idea.

That's a store/OS problem, not something I can control. Beyond hard resetting, I don't think there's anything else you can do, and I know there's nothing I can do.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I'm having some issues within the app on my Surface Pro 3. There aren't any unread post indicators for my bookmarked threads nor is there any page navigation buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Crayvex posted:

I'm having some issues within the app on my Surface Pro 3. There aren't any unread post indicators for my bookmarked threads nor is there any page navigation buttons.

Go to your SA User Control Panel on the site and enable "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color".

Also there are no page navigation buttons. For bookmarks it automatically gets all of them (and it should be getting all of them if you have the newest version). For normal thread lists, it automatically goes to the next page when you scroll down the list.

• Locked thread