Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also, what the hell is AdBot? Usually it isn't there at all, then once in a blue moon I'll open the app to find that every dozen or so posts is from AdBot consisting of nothing but photos of people's grandmas. It seems like it coincides with the app deciding it can't refresh my bookmarks list, necessitating a full reinstall, but that may have been a coincidence. It's happened about three times over the past few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Sekenr posted:

First time running - failed to download forums list. Refresh forums list does nothing, so is restarting the app. Apparently there is no way to get forums list now :D Running on a phone.

Authentication failed. The app tries to use the jump list on the main forum page to populate the forums list in the app. Since authentication failed, that jump list does not exist. So it can't parse anything. Your best course of action is to uninstall and reinstall the app, which should get you in a fresh login state so you can try again.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Also, what the hell is AdBot? Usually it isn't there at all, then once in a blue moon I'll open the app to find that every dozen or so posts is from AdBot consisting of nothing but photos of people's grandmas. It seems like it coincides with the app deciding it can't refresh my bookmarks list, necessitating a full reinstall, but that may have been a coincidence. It's happened about three times over the past few months.

You also lost authentication. AdBot is what is shown when you go to the forums and are not logged in. That also breaks bookmarks since... yeah, you're not logged in. So reinstalling the app fixes it, since then you... log back in, which gets you a fresh cookie.

Speaking of that, I'm going to push a hotpatch right now to fix logging in and out. The technical reason is here but the TL;DR is that the app was caching authentication in a place I didn't expect, so I was not clearing it out right. Now I know how to do it properly, so the "log out" feature on the main page should actually work. So expect an update in the store soon, whenever it finishes certification.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

Authentication failed. The app tries to use the jump list on the main forum page to populate the forums list in the app. Since authentication failed, that jump list does not exist. So it can't parse anything. Your best course of action is to uninstall and reinstall the app, which should get you in a fresh login state so you can try again.

Ok, I'll try. But the funny thing it showed bookmarked threads correctly, you sure it's authentication?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Sekenr posted:

Ok, I'll try. But the funny thing it showed bookmarked threads correctly, you sure it's authentication?

Honestly, not really. But it seemed like a good guess.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Neat, I was wondering what the hell that was all about.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Embedded tweets are coming, also available in dark mode

GIFV and MP4 embeds (No WebM, Edge does not support it, so it will fail.)

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Would it be possible to do a sort of infinite scroll for a thread? When you get to the bottom, it loads the next page (if there is one) and adds it to the end - with something in between to say that you're now reading page x

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

DaWolfey posted:

Would it be possible to do a sort of infinite scroll for a thread? When you get to the bottom, it loads the next page (if there is one) and adds it to the end - with something in between to say that you're now reading page x

Possible? Yes. Would I do it? I don't think so.

If I did something like that, it would be how the iOS app handles it. When you hit the bottom and keep pulling, it will load the next page or reload the current page if you are on the last. That makes sense to me. But just adding more posts to the current web view without loading a new page, apart from exploding the memory usage if you're in a thread with a lot of pages, is a weirder workflow to me.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Then perhaps pulling up when at the bottom could just load the next page as the forward button does? Its a minor thing but it breaks the flow having to tap the next page button. Or maybe just a next page button at the bottom of the page.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but if I get to a thread not through the home or bookmarks page (like if someone links to another thread), how do I then bookmark it?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
You don't, it's not there.

It will be in the new version I'm working on, but it's not in the one you have. You should be able to at least access it through thread tabs though.

Edit: More in line twitter entries

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 16, 2016

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/drasticactionSA/status/688767935792435200

This is going to be a huge update. Memory usage is vastly improved over the last version. Now it uses around 120 megs on average when viewing threads, verses highs of 500 megs or more when viewing multiple threads in the last version. This is mostly do to making the thread view a disposable control, rather than having it hard coded into each view or separate page. Basically any time you see a thread, it's the same code running it, and when you leave the thread, it actually goes away, freeing up memory.

I also fixed continuum support so it should actually work correctly instead of accidentally just happen to work. And by getting that working, it should vastly improve suspending the app and maintaining state.

Right now in the current version of Awful, it does not really maintain state. If the app goes into suspension, it might maintain your location, or it might not. It's up to Windows. This time I did a total rethink on how it actually works, so now it tries to maintain what you're doing at any time, and reloads if you leave the app and come back. So if you're on a thread, you leave the app for awhile, and come back, it should show the exact same thread you were on. Same if you're on the Bookmarks list: Just leave and come back, and it will be there.

The biggest change is you don't have to sign in to use the app anymore. Just like the normal forums on the web, you can browse forums that are not behind the paywall. And if they are? You get redirected to a paywall page telling you to sign up. I also fixed logging in and logging out, so now when you "log out", you actually do :v:.

I also fixed the thread preview and previous posts feature when making replies, so now it uses the same thread parsing to show what you would see in the app, rather than some weird mix of old SA and my app.

I plan on releasing this as a beta, because I'm still work on adding more features back from the last version. Things like SAclopedia are not running yet, but not many people used it anyway in the last version so I might not bother. User profiles (Previous posts, rap sheet) are not implemented yet and there are no custom themes for other forums. But the memory handling alone should be enough to make people happy, and keep the app running for longer. If anyone is on the beta list, you should be getting it soon, maybe in a few days. If you're not and you want in, just PM or contact me and I'll add you to the list.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is by far my most used app and you are an absolute saint.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I tried this app on both my SP3 and my desktop and it always takes about 60 seconds to load my bookmarks and runs pretty slow in general.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Is there any swipe navigation for pages yet? Or something like Chrome's SALR if you're using mouse (right click, drag to arrow)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Kazy posted:

Is there any swipe navigation for pages yet? Or something like Chrome's SALR if you're using mouse (right click, drag to arrow)

I've been playing around with it, but honestly it has not been my up on my priority list. My goal right now "get a functional app that's stable and does not blow out memory usage", then I can work on updating the actual thread workflow.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So I've pushed an update to beta update to the store. But it turns out Beta releases have changed in Windows 10. Instead of using the email list, as with Windows Phone 8.1, you need to give out promo codes so people can download your app. You get 250 codes, which is more than enough for this. I don't want to make the app public yet, since I'm still working on it and it has some pretty breaking changes from the last version.

So if you want in, message me somehow (email, PM, whatever) and I'll give you the code. Then you should be set for future updates of the beta.

:tipshat:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Postin' from the new app. :woop: It runs like a greased whippet on my 640; avatars and smilies animate at full speed consistently, when they were previously kind of choppy. The layout is an improvement too, it just feels cleaner overall.

I can see why it's in beta still, some bits obviously aren't finished like the horizontal view not rendering right at all and threads needing a manual refresh to show new posts or edits, but whatever's under the hood is clearly a big step up.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 21, 2016

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Postin' from the new app. :woop: It runs like a greased whippet on my 640; avatars and smilies animate at full speed consistently, when they were previously kind of choppy. The layout is an improvement too, it just feels cleaner overall.

I can see why it's in beta still, some bits obviously aren't finished like the horizontal view not rendering right at all and threads needing a manual refresh to show new posts or edits, but whatever's under the hood is clearly a big step up.

The landscape view works "okay" on my 950XL, but it's not done. It's hard because I either need to get it working on all devices, or limit it to big ones like the 950 XL. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it yet.

And I know about the threads not refreshing after new posts/edits. The same applies to new threads. I need to come up with a way to know what was the last page and to refresh what was on it (if necessary). The flow for how this happens is very different from how the old app functioned, so I just need to think of something.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Drastic Actions posted:

The flow for how this happens is very different from how the old app functioned, so I just need to think of something.

I should have it fixed so returning to a thread from the edit/reply page will refresh the page. I was thinking of ways to launch external windows for threads, but that might require a bit more refactoring.

EDIT:

Does not work right on Phones yet though, but it's getting there.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 23, 2016

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Adding pull to refresh support, and hopefully pull down to go to next page. Also adding better Imgur support. Now it supports logging into your account, so instead of just dumping imgur links, you can upload them to your account. There are also API limits to anonymous downloads, so this should get around those limits, should we ever hit them (we probably won't :v:)

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 2, 2016

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

two things seem to be broken for me: can't navigate the forums home page (just shows the categories), and bookmarks do not show any unread posts (if I could see other forums they would probably be like that too). from other screenshots here it seems like this is only a problem to me? anyways, I'm using the windows 10 version on mobile if that helps. Thanks

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

that ivy guy posted:

two things seem to be broken for me: can't navigate the forums home page (just shows the categories), and bookmarks do not show any unread posts (if I could see other forums they would probably be like that too). from other screenshots here it seems like this is only a problem to me? anyways, I'm using the windows 10 version on mobile if that helps. Thanks

For the unread bookmarks, go to your forum user control panel settings and enable "Highlight threads I've seen in a different color"

For the forum categories, basically the proper web forum jumplist (which is what's used to parse the forum categories/subforums) was hosed up last week. The iOS and Android apps had the same issues with getting a bad mix of data from them. In the newest version of the app (In beta, PM me for a key), that list is prepopulated with my own list. And once you log in, you can refresh it on your own to get the newest version.

Your best course of action there is uninstall and reinstall. Or PM me for a key to the beta app, which fixes these issues and more!

---

While I'm here about that. I did have an update to the beta I planned to release, but VS was giving me issues with my Imgur library, so it would not let me compile it for the store. While I work on that, once I fix it, I may just update the beta app directly to the store. While it has issues with landscape, I think the memory fixes and suspension fixes more than make up for the features that would be missing from it. And I can always add them back if there is demand for it, like forums search.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

yeah hook me up with the beta. (on another note, opening your profile via avatar gives an out of range error. wtf) I did do a reinstall earlier to remove my settings from the old windows 8 mobile app, which didn't help much

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

that ivy guy posted:

yeah hook me up with the beta. (on another note, opening your profile via avatar gives an out of range error. wtf) I did do a reinstall earlier to remove my settings from the old windows 8 mobile app, which didn't help much

Honestly that profile page was never really finished anyway. I mean, it "worked" in that it opened a page (and trust me, getting that information that IS on the profile page is a bitch. All of the HTML is malformed and I have to hack around it to parse it, so I would not be shocked that it fails. It's not implemented in the beta yet for that reason.)

And also uninstalling the Windows Phone 8.1 version would not do anything, because the way they stored data is totally different and not used. So if you upgraded, it would just overwrite everything that was there. In this case, it would not have done anything for you. And again, you issue with the forum list is fixed in the new beta, just not in the build you have that's on the store currently.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

for some reason the text shrinking setting carried over to the windows 10 version-- that was the only reason I reinstalled

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I've been making some more changes to the app.

First, common features like adding bookmarks or going to the last page in the thread are back in on the list views.

I've also adding an option for removing the background (the gray, blue ones) from thread lists and forums. Looks a little nicer to me. I've also shifted the top bar for threads and forums (meant to show if a forum was a sub-forum, or if a thread was sticky or a bookmark.) to the side. This gives a bit more room, so you can have even more threads on one screen at the same time.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I've submitted a new beta to the store (3.4.15) to the store. This should be the last beta before pushing this to production. While it does not have all the features that the other version had, I think the stability and speed more than make up for it. Especially the suspension and hibernation stuff that actually works.

The two biggest bugs that I know of are:

* A crash when navigating from Bookmarks to the Main forum threads. This happens infrequently, but it seems to happen once the app has suspended and restarted in bookmarks, and THEN you navigate to the other threads. I can't quite pin this one down yet, since I can't reproduce this when debugging.

* The transparent background setting is set to off by default, yet it's still on by default. To workaround this, just go into settings and turn it on and off again. Then it should stick.

The biggest changes beyond what I mentioned in the post above is that I did more refactoring with the underlying code. Basically I took out some forked libraries I was using and now use the official versions, since they now have the functions I need to get this app working. The top toolbars will also use your systems accent color on Windows 10 desktop and phone.

Landscape mode is also a bit off still, and there may be little bugs around, but no regressions that I know of.

Let me know what you think! :)

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I get a 'Cookie Container not set' error when trying to log in on the latest beta.

I have a UK Lumia 950XL, running v 1511 Build 10.0.14283.1000

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Uninstall and reinstall. I had to change how the cookie container and database worked, which caused the container to not be reset. Uninstalling and reinstalling should fix it.. And his should be the only time you have to do this, logging out and logging and updates should work correctly from here on.

This will probably happen to all beta testers, but it's only 20 of you or so, so I figured it was worth a breaking change. Sorry for forgetting to add that.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I got that too last night but fixed it with a reinstall, figured it was just an issue on my side.

Also, on my 640(regular, not XL, running the latest Slow Ring build) images have a nasty habit of having the right 10% or so off-screen. It gets worse when they're quoted as they keep a fixed width. I'm also noticing emotes appear to be causing linebreaks before and after them.

Other than that it's been a pretty great version so far.

EDIT: Have a screenshot from a bit up in the thread to illustrate:

Smoke fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 17, 2016

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I removed all of the actual SA forum specific JavaScript and CSS, which might be causing those emote issues. I also removed the timg support (because it was taken directly from the forums and broke in some versions of the webview, making it unreliable) so images should be responsive to the edge of the view. So I'll need to look at that.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Should have the smile issue fixed. And I also changed the windows mobile builds to not show the refresh button on the top nav bar. I should have the image scaling issue fixed tomorrow and when I do I'll push out a new build.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 18, 2016

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

All working fine now I reinstalled, thank. I should have thought about that first!

Impressions of the beta are very positive, liking the little UI tweaks

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a thread for the phone 8.1 version? Does anything happen with that version?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

CharlesM posted:

Is there a thread for the phone 8.1 version? Does anything happen with that version?

I don't update it anymore. All effort is in the Windows 10 UWP. While I understand that leaves people on older phones behind, it's easier than trying to maintain multiple versions on vastly different codebase. Also, I'm basically the only one who works on this app. I don't have time for 8.1 anymore.

Having said that, if anyone has a massive interest in maintaining it, the code is open source. But yeah, I'm full steam ahead on Windows 10.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Drastic Actions posted:

I don't update it anymore. All effort is in the Windows 10 UWP. While I understand that leaves people on older phones behind, it's easier than trying to maintain multiple versions on vastly different codebase. Also, I'm basically the only one who works on this app. I don't have time for 8.1 anymore.

Having said that, if anyone has a massive interest in maintaining it, the code is open source. But yeah, I'm full steam ahead on Windows 10.

understandable

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

App continues to be great on both desktop and phone - the performance is lightning fast now and the layout is excellent, so I'm happy.

I'm having an issue with resuming on the 640 though, which I imagine is the fault of W10 and/or the lack of memory on the 640 rather than the app - half the time the app resumes just fine, taking me back to the page I was on, sometimes with a quick refresh of the page. The other half of the time, it sits there on a black screen for five seconds then takes me to the home page. It doesn't seem to be affected by how long I've been out of the app necessarily, as it will sometimes do this a few seconds after minimising to the W10 home/start menu and attempting to re-enter the app. I imagine this might be a limitation of the device, but has this come up for you in testing?

Edit: Also the thread labels aren't displaying properly all of a sudden. This thread has the Marxism tag for me!

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 31, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Apologies for the double post; my phone pretty much degraded into an unusable mess, but after a hard reset everything is running fine, including the Awful app, which resumes properly after being left untouched for hours, so that's all fine now.

One other issue though, I can't navigate back to the first page of a thread, either using the previous page button while on the second page or manually selecting the page I want to view; it just reloads the current page. The only way to do it is to mark the thread as unread, then navigate back into the thread from the bookmark list or main page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Been working on more major changes to the app.

I put the iOS/Windows thread icons back, instead of using the forum defaults. They didn't load consistently and I was sick of dealing with it. These look nicer anyway.

I fixed TIMG support, so it's back.

I redid how thread posts are shown. Before it was done basically with massive string interpolation and formatting. It was a mess and really hard to debug, and could also be slightly CPU intensive. Well, now it's using Razor templates. So it should be quicker and take less power to use. By redoing it I also fixed the "Show previous posts" button not showing at random times. I also fix theme support while there, so YOSPOS should have its proper green look back.

I fixed PMs, so they should actually appear again. I also redid now those were displayed as well by replacing its formatting with Razor.

The best part of changing how threads are rendered is now it should work crossplatform with the iOS and Android versions I'm working on the side. So now it should be consistent(ly awful) on all platforms.

And a bunch of other smaller changes I don't remember :v:.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

One other issue though, I can't navigate back to the first page of a thread, either using the previous page button while on the second page or manually selecting the page I want to view; it just reloads the current page. The only way to do it is to mark the thread as unread, then navigate back into the thread from the bookmark list or main page.

This was fixed too. Had some confused logic for handling page numbers, and it should be working correctly now. :)

Edit: Mobile screenshots

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 16, 2016

• Locked thread