Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Cheesus posted:

Finally made the jump on my Lumia 640 to Windows 10 Mobile and installed the current version of the reader (12.2.3.0).

In the thread list view, is there a way to disable the indicator for unread messages in a thread for only those threads I've read?
Ok, I didn't realize the forum settings mapped over like that. I changed the "show threads in different color" and now I see the # of messages I haven't read in threads I'm reading.

Next question: A few times in the past three days, the app wouldn't load. It would start, show the grenade logo, the bounce back out. Any ideas on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I know I bang on about smilies a lot, but would it be possible to divide them into separate groups that you select from a list, as scrolling through one list is both time consuming and kills performance. Also, they only display two across on the 640 with a large gap on the right hand side, large enough for another column but I assume that it is just, just cut off. Any chance of tweaking that?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ooh, got another request: image-heavy threads are killing the app dead on my 640 (or ones with an abundance of animated gifs, anyway), sometimes needing a reset of the phone because the app can't even load anymore. Would it be possible to make it so that animated gifs are activated manually? Maybe slap a play button on there so you know which are animated.

I don't know if that could be set per device, since it isn't an issue on desktop and I imagine not on phones with more RAM.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I really like the App, basically one of the few Windows 10 Modern UI Apps I still use on my Surface Pro 4 any more (since nearly all others are so lovely that it is easier and quicker to use the browser...).
However, I have one question: Is there a technical reason that there is no pull to change page in a thread? It is something I am used to from the iOS and Android App, and I really miss it here.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I know I bang on about smilies a lot, but would it be possible to divide them into separate groups that you select from a list, as scrolling through one list is both time consuming and kills performance. Also, they only display two across on the 640 with a large gap on the right hand side, large enough for another column but I assume that it is just, just cut off. Any chance of tweaking that?

They are categorized by what they are on the forums, and it gets generated each time you view it so there is not much else I can do unless I save them and categorize them myself. There was a search feature, but that control does not work on HoloLens and Xbox, so I had to disable it until I could figure out a solution. As for width stuff, I'll look into it.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Ooh, got another request: image-heavy threads are killing the app dead on my 640 (or ones with an abundance of animated gifs, anyway), sometimes needing a reset of the phone because the app can't even load anymore. Would it be possible to make it so that animated gifs are activated manually? Maybe slap a play button on there so you know which are animated.

I don't know if that could be set per device, since it isn't an issue on desktop and I imagine not on phones with more RAM.

Next update will bring back the "Stop Autoplaying Gifs" function, where you can tap to play it. It's turned off by default, but it's in the options. That should limit how much more ram is used, but honestly the Windows Web View handles big images and gifs terribly. I'll try but beyond that I don't know what to do except for turning them off :shrug:.

Decius posted:

I really like the App, basically one of the few Windows 10 Modern UI Apps I still use on my Surface Pro 4 any more (since nearly all others are so lovely that it is easier and quicker to use the browser...).
However, I have one question: Is there a technical reason that there is no pull to change page in a thread? It is something I am used to from the iOS and Android App, and I really miss it here.

Nothing technical per say, I just have to create the feature. If I recall correctly the iOS and Android apps do it in the webview of the thread. I'll look into it.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
As of today's update I can no longer log in. Unable to parse error

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Twibbit posted:

You're "logged in", but the .NET HTTP Client is not passing back all the cookies used for authentication, failing you out. Normally it does but I'm guessing a combination of newer Windows builds and library updates broke how I was doing it. So if the app failed authentication, and you tried to log in with the older version, it would fail and set up broken cookies. And then if you tried to log in with the NEW version, it might be trying to use those older broken cookies, hence it failing.

It should be fixed in this new version though and I tried to get it out before anyone else would hit it. And clearly you did.

So TL;DR : Make sure you're on the new version and try logging in. If it still fails, uninstall and reinstall the app, which will clear the cookies and let you back in.

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

Twibbit posted:

I had the same problem... but as Drastic Actions said a full uninstall of the app and reinstall fixed it, and now its working!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Somewhat disturbingly uninstalling and reinstalling gave me a version clearly newer than the one I had, despite the store claiming I had no updates. Oh Microsoft, why must you disappoint?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Opening a thread tells me to log in, even though I am and can see my bookmark list and everything.

Also, was I dreaming or was there a short-lived SH/SC sub-forum for goon software projects?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

Opening a thread tells me to log in, even though I am and can see my bookmark list and everything.

Also, was I dreaming or was there a short-lived SH/SC sub-forum for goon software projects?

project.log still exists.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Lazyhound posted:

Because it has cookies, so it goes "oh, you're logged in!" Then it tries to use them and it goes "nope!". Log out and log back in and it should work. Worst case: uninstall and reinstall.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
It stopped working on my 950 now. I uninstalled and reinstalled but no luck. Is it because I'm a scrub and don't have platinum?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wookieepelt posted:

It stopped working on my 950 now. I uninstalled and reinstalled but no luck. Is it because I'm a scrub and don't have platinum?

Yeah, the app that doesn't require a login to use will fail if you don't have platinum. ;)

Honestly, no idea. Works fine on all my devices. :shrug:. You can sideload this build (Download and unzip it onto your phone, go into the file explorer and open the appxbundle.) and see if this works. It's a debug build that has the cookie and database names changed. It might be trying to load corrupt database and/or cookies, which are synced when you reinstall from the cloud, so it might be always trying to reload something that broke.

And what version of Windows 10 are you on? Insider build? I did have issues with it hanging on the last fast ring release that were fixed on either the newest fast ring build or the dev builds I have.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Thanks, I'll try that. I'm on build 1130.136 and I don't think I'm on an insider build.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

Yeah, the app that doesn't require a login to use will fail if you don't have platinum. ;)

Honestly, no idea. Works fine on all my devices. :shrug:. You can sideload this build (Download and unzip it onto your phone, go into the file explorer and open the appxbundle.) and see if this works. It's a debug build that has the cookie and database names changed. It might be trying to load corrupt database and/or cookies, which are synced when you reinstall from the cloud, so it might be always trying to reload something that broke.

And what version of Windows 10 are you on? Insider build? I did have issues with it hanging on the last fast ring release that were fixed on either the newest fast ring build or the dev builds I have.

I have all the files on my phone and it asks if I want to install, but then doesn't do anything.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Same here, my Lumia 950 refuses to open the app. Perhaps the windows update broke it?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
It seems like the actual launch is taking longer than the OS shell is willing to wait.

I've been "goosing" it by clicking it, going back to shell so it's launching in the "background" then going back to click the app again and repeating. It's stupid as gently caress but mostly works and about what I've come to expect from the various regressions the OS has taken since 7.8.

At this point, I'm prepared for the April fools DOS prompt to become the target shell/ease of use.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Not sure if this will go through, but I'm on the slow route insider build, and since the latest update my posts don't go through the awful app. It tells me I posted, but they never actually turn up even after refreshing the thread.

640 xl, for what its worth.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I just used the recovery tool on my 950, updated to the anniversary update, and I'm posting this on the beta version. It seems to work just fine. My recommendation is that you don't use this app if you run insider builds.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I'm no longer able to log-in on the app after changing my password after the recent "maybe change your password" scare. It's giving me "ERROR: Your Username/Password were incorrect, try again", but I just logged into the forums with the proper credentials I'm using for the app. Is there something going on? What am I messing up?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

life_source posted:

I'm no longer able to log-in on the app after changing my password after the recent "maybe change your password" scare. It's giving me "ERROR: Your Username/Password were incorrect, try again", but I just logged into the forums with the proper credentials I'm using for the app. Is there something going on? What am I messing up?

I have the same issue for what it's worth.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
You should uninstall and reinstall the app. Depending on the version it's either trying to use "http" endpoints, which won't work, or trying to use the same expired password cookie to log you in, which also won't work.

In the Windows 10 Creators update, you can also "reset" the app in the settings menu.

Which will get rid of the bad cookie.

I've also put up a new Awful Forums Reader Beta, which should fix that issue and (hopefully) others.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Drastic Actions posted:

You should uninstall and reinstall the app. Depending on the version it's either trying to use "http" endpoints, which won't work, or trying to use the same expired password cookie to log you in, which also won't work.

In the Windows 10 Creators update, you can also "reset" the app in the settings menu.

Which will get rid of the bad cookie.

I've also put up a new Awful Forums Reader Beta, which should fix that issue and (hopefully) others.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to add some information about my problem I should have added before. Sorry.

I'm using a Nokia Lumia 635, so I can only run Windows Phone 8.1. Reinstalling doesn't fix the problem, probably because of the expired cookie which I can't find a way to clear/reset. The updated Beta does show up in the store, but when I try and open it it just immediately closes before hitting the login screen after giving me the opening graphic (that's not the name, it's just bad). I also currently do not have access to anything running Windows 10.

Am I SOL because I'm using depreciated hardware?

life_source fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 2, 2017

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

life_source posted:

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to add some information about my problem I should have added before. Sorry.

I'm using a Nokia Lumia 635, so I can only run Windows Phone 8.1. Reinstalling doesn't fix the problem, probably because of the expired cookie which I can't find a way to clear/reset. The updated Beta does show up in the store, but when I try and open it it just immediately closes before hitting the login screen after giving me the opening graphic (that's not the name, it's just bad). I also currently do not have access to anything running Windows 10.

Am I SOL because I'm using depreciated hardware?

Sorry. Windows 10 only. :(

The beta for 8.1 is very old. I should pull it from the store so no one else downloads it by mistake.

It's very hard to maintain the app for older platforms. I can only build 8.1 apps in visual studio 2015, and while I still have a collection of phones to use on it, it's getting harder to get them provisioned for development.

I thought the 635 could run Windows 10. You could use the insider builds on the release preview branch to get a stable experience.

life_source
May 11, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

The beta for 8.1 is very old. I should pull it from the store so no one else downloads it by mistake.

It's very hard to maintain the app for older platforms. I can only build 8.1 apps in visual studio 2015, and while I still have a collection of phones to use on it, it's getting harder to get them provisioned for development.

I thought the 635 could run Windows 10. You could use the insider builds on the release preview branch to get a stable experience.

Ah dang, that all sucks, but is totally understandable. Thank you for everything.

It looks like I only have a 635 with 512 MB, not the 1 GB they want for Windows 10.

I've been looking for a way to clear the bad cookie data to no avail. Everything was working fine up until then, so hopefully if I can eventually get that cleared somehow it will all go back to working fine?

Again though, thanks for everything. It's a really good app, and I look forward to being able to browse the forums when on the go thanks to you in the future.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

Please keep the old 8.1 version on the store. I'm still using it on my Lumia 735 that still hasn't received the Win 10 upgrade offer.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
The new beta is slick AF.

Edit: Doesn't save pictures. It says it did, but the camera roll is empty.

wookieepelt fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 2, 2017

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Thank you for not killing the 10 of us using this :)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

zen death robot posted:

Yo, I talked to someone that was triggering some of Cloudflares WAF rules because the Win 10 reader doesn't have a user agent that it reports with so it thinks its a botnet or something. Is that something anyone can fix?

Considering I'm the developer of the app, I can change that. All of the web requests go through the WebManager, so I can add a user agent to it.

Sorry for the issues! :(

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Picked up a Surface and thought I'd try out the Awful app.

Only issue so far is the Bookmark refresh seems to time out. I thought it might have been my poo poo internet, but I can refresh sub forums if I go through the Main menu just fine but not directly from the Bookmarks tab. Bug or something on my end?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kloa posted:

Picked up a Surface and thought I'd try out the Awful app.

Only issue so far is the Bookmark refresh seems to time out. I thought it might have been my poo poo internet, but I can refresh sub forums if I go through the Main menu just fine but not directly from the Bookmarks tab. Bug or something on my end?
I think it has to do with the thing ZDR wrote above. I get an error but it still works for me. Should be updated soon I think?

Esoteric request I guess: Can the app read FYAD? I get a blank screen.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
[quote="“CharlesM”" post="“473762210”"]
I think it has to do with the thing ZDR wrote above. I get an error but it still works for me. Should be updated soon I think?

Esoteric request I guess: Can the app read FYAD? I get a blank screen.
[/quote]

It’s already been updated for that, so I doubt it. Unless you’re running an older version. :shrug:

I had no idea FYAD didn’t work (I view a good four or five threads on the forums usually), I will take a look.

EDIT:

For the bookmark thing, I have no idea. I don't get an error with the newest version. What are you running?

EDIT2: FYAD broke because it doesn't provide a tag on posts that I use for going to the newest post in a thread.

So either that value gets added to that subforum, or I remove the checks on my end for that value.

EDIT3:

Okay, should be working now. I'll push out an update for this soon. Still don't know about the bookmarks issue though, I can't reproduce it. But I'll keep an eye on it. :shrug:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 26, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

What's this mean? How do I get to the inner exceptions log?

And wow you work fast.

Edit: That error doesn't stop it from working, it works anyway. This is 13.5.4.0

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 26, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I reinstalled and the error I had went away. *shrug* Dunno about the other person.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So, first of all, thanks for making the app.
This is probably a very dumb question, is it possible to change the colors?
I see people posting very different screenshots here, but I'm guessing these are their windows colors?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

mrfart posted:

So, first of all, thanks for making the app.
This is probably a very dumb question, is it possible to change the colors?
I see people posting very different screenshots here, but I'm guessing these are their windows colors?

Currently, it uses your Windows accent color, so whatever you use for your system is what Awful will use. Microsoft is adding a Color Picker as a default UWP control, so in the future, I can use that to let you pick a color based on that.

CharlesM posted:

I reinstalled and the error I had went away. *shrug* Dunno about the other person.

That is the newest version. It could be a database schema issue? I would have to go through what I've changed in the database to see if anything like that could have caused that error. Currently, there is no way for you to see those logs, it's kept internal, but because it's not crashing outright I don't see it at all on my end :(.

For everyone else, instead of uninstalling/reinstalling, you can reset the apps data and that should reset everything back to default.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I also had that bookmarks error, but it started a few days ago. Reinstalling also fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The data reset option fixed my timeout error :iiam:

• Locked thread