Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a kitten posted:

Somebody said something bad about a LN author?!

*unsheathes posting katanas*
idk dude pretty much every ln adaptation thread devolves into 'i read the later volumes and *incredibly broad summary of events*' and then everyone quotes it and goes 'ugh that's awful i wish i hadn't watched this show' and then 2 years later when they adapt the later volumes everyone just watches it like normal and is okay with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

idk dude pretty much every ln adaptation thread devolves into 'i read the later volumes and *incredibly broad summary of events*' and then everyone quotes it and goes 'ugh that's awful i wish i hadn't watched this show' and then 2 years later when they adapt the later volumes everyone just watches it like normal and is okay with it.

to be fair, even without knowing what happens later on this ending was real bad

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

For what it's worth if someone told me the ending of S1 two years ago I would have been like okay that's kinda stupid, fast forward to watching the adaptation today and I am pretty sure I would have still been like okay that was just as dumb as it sounded two years ago.

Still there must be someone who read the LN that can tell us exactly what happens right? Like if it ended up that the brainwashing just led to the initial attraction but the rest was genuine it wouldn't be that bad at all, I could live with that.

Xy Hapu fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 19, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I don't like Rolonia's character or design. I don't like this ham-fisted attempt at forcing the story forwards given that there were plenty of better options available. I don't like that the mystery was solved by a deus ex machina.

I really, really hope that subsequent seasons can pull off the procedural mystery aspect better than this first season but I just don't know. I'll probably check out season 2 if it ever happens but I won't have high expectations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
They didn't even loving fight it out. No payoff at all.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Everyone, I'm sorry it had to come out like this, but I'm the 14th Brave.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

I don't like Rolonia's character or design.

It's lame because she's the Saint of BLOOD, right? She should look cooler than a tagged cow

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Not sure how I feel about the ending. I'm interested enough to read onward, at least. Leaning towards Adlet being the fake without knowing it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
A hilariously weak ending to an otherwise pretty entertaining show.

I probably won't bother with the sequel if it's made.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Where the gently caress was Adlet's awesome catchphrase in this episode?

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Well that could have been a lot better, especially with all that build up in e11 :( The mystery was really the thing that was carrying interest, it fell short and then we get the setup for round 2 which by any indication will be weak as well.

At least bunny girl got kicked in the face.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Not sure how I feel about the ending. I'm interested enough to read onward, at least. Leaning towards Adlet being the fake without knowing it.

I'm pretty sure it's always been the case. Demon God seems very crafty.

I like how the fiends being more than they appear has very gradually been built up the whole time. I'll start on the LN's now I think, I can't wait.

I think the ending is alright if you consider it a confirmation of a bunch of things hinted at until now and a promise that there's still a mystery aspect to the show.

e: Surprises are not deus ex machina. We all could figure out that it was very likely Nash once the final pieces clicked together, finding the tablets just acted as a in-universe means of confirming it.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 20, 2015

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I've read 4 of the 6 volumes released so far, and while the mystery ratio goes down, the action ratio goes up, and it continues to be pretty entertaining, although I don't think it ever reaches the heights of vol 1 again.

I remember reading the second half of vol 1 in one sitting, super excited, wondering how the series could retain the mystery aspect once this secret 7th business was dealt with, and then howling in disgust at the last couple of pages, fighting the urge to throw the book out the window. Feels good that anime viewers get to share my old pain.

It's too early to say anything for certain, but going by the daily BD sales charts, it seems unlikely that the anime will reach even 1000 units sold, so plans of any more seasons are probably dead in the water. :(

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

a kitten posted:

Put like that it sounds much more interesting.

Yeah it actually is, like the Thing with Rolonia being able to bring someone back from the dead isn't just dropped in your lap, theres a build to it and its part of a desperate gambit by Maura, who isn't even sure that it can be done, but someone she cares about's life in on the line so she goes for it

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What the hell did I just finish watching?

Like seriously, it would have been good (or at least, not mind-bogglingly stupid) until another Brave showed up.

Calling it now, every single Brave is a fake, Flamie did her job too well.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So many people imploding.

A ha ha.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the new girl is one of the worst character designs i've seen

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked her, more chubs in anime plz

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

her armor is really cluttered and the cow motif is heavy handed, are the problems i think

chubby glasses girl is fine isolated from those aspects

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Davincie posted:

the new girl is one of the worst character designs i've seen

I was half-way expecting them to murder her on the spot going "nope, not doing this poo poo again". It took a moment for me to accept that someone would see that design and say "Yeah, this is what we want".

Edit: actually I think this is the first time I've ever seen a chubby chick in an anime before. Way to ruin it Rokka.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I don't really have a problem with a new character showing up and being like "Hey guys I'm a brave too!". The fact that I hate her design is making me hate her role though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't mind that but there's something about her design that makes her stick out from everyone else in a way that I didn't find pleasant.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Pavlov posted:

Edit: actually I think this is the first time I've ever seen a chubby chick in an anime before. Way to ruin it Rokka.

That diving cyborg show had thick girls in it iirc

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ooooooooh! she was the slight spoiler that Seafood edited an earlier post of mine to cover up.

I barely noticed her, i think maybe i thought it was the Sun sage and the artist was just having a laugh by putting her in the lineup.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Srice posted:

I don't mind that but there's something about her design that makes her stick out from everyone else in a way that I didn't find pleasant.

Maybe it crosses some (arbitrary) line, like "fantasy beast race outfit" to "modern cowgirl cosplay" and looks over designed. Nash has those silly rabbit boots/claws, but the new lady has ear tags, cow print fabric, and a helmet with horns that looks like a cow face. Also glasses because hey why not.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GloomMouse posted:

Maybe it crosses some (arbitrary) line, like "fantasy beast race outfit" to "modern cowgirl cosplay" and looks over designed. Nash has those silly rabbit boots/claws, but the new lady has ear tags, cow print fabric, and a helmet with horns that looks like a cow face. Also glasses because hey why not.

I think you're right. The cow print in particular feels like the biggest offender in her design.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Srice posted:

I can't say I'm fond of her lips.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ahahaha so the solution to the two month long mystery is random bullshit they pulled out of nowhere ten seconds into the final episode. This show is such trash.

I would complain more but that ending was loving amazing and insane so I kind of forgive it. Only way it would be better is if they locked themselves in the forest again.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

kater posted:

Ahahaha so the solution to the two month long mystery is random bullshit they pulled out of nowhere ten seconds into the final episode. This show is such trash.

not really. it was well established the culprit had done something to activate the barrier when they were all fiddling with it, and nash had her super suspicious freak out then. the tablets were just a plot device to prove that connection decisively, they didn't really add any new information

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Frumpy childhood friend cowgirl, sudden love triangle twist!!! I'm so happy. Thank you for being you, Rokka.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All of y'all being all like, "Rokka was pretty good until that bad ending", are apparently forgetting that's it's always been this a weirdo show full of stuff that doesn't make sense. What makes it good is how it strings all the weird stuff together into something compelling.

When I saw that a bunch of people were mad at it I was worried that the production quality had dived, but nope that was pretty well put together. Flamie and Adlet were way cute, the reveal of Nash's motivation was sufficiently messed up, and third wheel girl made me laugh my rear end off.

It's not the best episode of the series, and maybe some of y'all were so hyped that anything less than a masterpiece would feel like betrayal. I still think it was good, and I want to see more!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I liked the ending :shobon: It was stupid in a really good way (like the rest of the series), the "HEY GUYS WHAT'D I MISS" was loving hilarious, and the mystery was solid and solvable without the tablet clue (though they were a big hint). Maura hosed up big time, Hans is best girl, and Adlet is the strongest man in the world. I'm gonna go hunt down the LNs because I want to see how dumb this wonderful dumb series gets.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
I liked the ending and wanted a second season but now I read the spoilers and don't. Thanks thread.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

GloomMouse posted:

That diving cyborg show had thick girls in it iirc

I don't know what that is.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I think we can all agree though that Adlet Myer, the Strongest Man in the World, is the protagonist of the year.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Pavlov posted:

I don't know what that is.

Real Drive

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

dogsicle posted:

her armor is really cluttered and the cow motif is heavy handed, are the problems i think

chubby glasses girl is fine isolated from those aspects

This is my opinion as well.

I like the show, it does a lot of small things differently. Nash being kicked in the face, virtually every hero getting humiliated in some way, the setting design, chubby heroine, the fiends being interesting villains, I feel like it has potential.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is my opinion as well.

I like the show, it does a lot of small things differently. Nash being kicked in the face, virtually every hero getting humiliated in some way, the setting design, chubby heroine, the fiends being interesting villains, I feel like it has potential.

Had. Had potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I don't like Rolonia's design, and it's not because she's fat, but because she's fat AND has cow armor. like the show is going out of its way to say, yeah, check out this fat chick, what a real COW, get it??? get it????????????? she's fat

• Locked thread