Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

alcharagia posted:

I think we can all agree though that Adlet Myer, the Strongest Man in the World, is the protagonist of the year.

An extremely correct post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Hey, I love what I love, what can I say. The thread's reaction to that ending didn't disappoint, though since I'm really biased on the show I expected it to be more "Wow now I really want a season 2" rather than "Lol what a dumb twist, gently caress this show."

Xy Hapu posted:

The LN guys were laughing behind our backs this entire time

You win this one you magnificent bastards :argh:
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I've always been earnest in promoting the show and the LN's, but I was at least grinning thinking about when Rolonia shows up. Oh, and for one last LN difference, in the LN she's the Saint of Fresh Blood, not Saint of Blood. Flamie getting upset when she finds out Adlet ever knew another girl in his life was great.

Cake Attack posted:

i feel both of these are side effects of only adapting a single story arc. presumably nash is a recurring future villain and goldov should be forced to change now that nash is gone evil
Nash appears later, because obviously she does. For those who voted for Goldov as the seventh as a way to develop his character, I think that Goldov having his entire spirit broken and still having to fight and adventure is an interesting development.

AnoHito posted:

It is taking all of my willpower not to read this and ruin something I found enjoyable.

In my mind it can never be as bad as people are saying it is. In my heart I know I am probably lying to myself and it is terrible.
I haven't gotten far enough in the translations to get to the major far-future spoiler. I admit that it doesn't sound great, but keep in mind that you're missing at least three full books between the end of S1 and that reveal. If you look at most big twists or story surprises without knowing huge chunks of the story, they aren't going to seem like good ideas.

I still say read the LN's and judge for yourself, but there's also no shortage of anime, manga, LNs, and western entertainment that is universally accepted as amazingly good, so if you want to spend your time on stuff you know is great I won't begrudge you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GloomMouse posted:

Real Drive

Gargantia also fits that description in all regards.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
That ending was pretty dumb. The actual resolution of the central conflict was okay, although the tablets out of nowhere seemed a bit unnecessary because it lined up nicely without them.
I was fine with this just ending after one season because it's perfectly acceptable when it just ends on a decent note rather than overstaying its welcome, but nah, let's just go and show that the writer is a huge dumbass that retreads the same story beats rather than coming up with different interesting conflicts. At least it's honest and discourages some watchers from wanting a second season in advance.

:rip:

It was alright.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 20, 2015

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

NowonSA posted:

Oh, and for one last LN difference, in the LN she's the Saint of Fresh Blood, not Saint of Blood.

This is a translation difference, not an adaptation difference. She says 鮮血 (senketsu) in the anime, just like in the book.

I haven't read the upsetting future spoilers (since they might spoil me), but I think the series has always been more about the character drama and in-group reactions to the mystery than it has been about trying to solve the mystery as a reader. Inevitably, stripping away the humanity of the story by reducing it to plot points will make it seem like garbage at a glance.

The way the anime ends is undeniably terrible, but you have to admit it can become a great hook for people to run out and buy the books to find out what happens next. Maybe even drive up sales enough to launch talks of a second season.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think a better hook would be an ending that's not terrible.

Personally for me it's the complete opposite of a hook, in that the ending just completely destroyed any desire I had to see what happens to the characters next.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

a kitten posted:

Everything sounds dumb if you type it out all list-like.

Indeed. There's not a single work of literature out there that can't be made to sound dumb as poo poo by typing out a list of truncated plot developments in a single paragraph without context.

I mean the LNs could still be utter drivel, I haven't read any of them so I wouldn't know, but nothing in that paragraph particularly swings my opinion one way or the other.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

All of y'all being all like, "Rokka was pretty good until that bad ending", are apparently forgetting that's it's always been this a weirdo show full of stuff that doesn't make sense. What makes it good is how it strings all the weird stuff together into something compelling.

When I saw that a bunch of people were mad at it I was worried that the production quality had dived, but nope that was pretty well put together. Flamie and Adlet were way cute, the reveal of Nash's motivation was sufficiently messed up, and third wheel girl made me laugh my rear end off.

It's not the best episode of the series, and maybe some of y'all were so hyped that anything less than a masterpiece would feel like betrayal. I still think it was good, and I want to see more!

:agreed:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

NowonSA posted:

Hey, I love what I love, what can I say. The thread's reaction to that ending didn't disappoint, though since I'm really biased on the show I expected it to be more "Wow now I really want a season 2" rather than "Lol what a dumb twist, gently caress this show."

I want a second season. :(

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

NowonSA posted:

*snif* But I trusted you Nowon! You made me think this was good! How can I- how can I ever trust another person again! *becomes demon god*

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I liked the fact that Adlet was actually wrong, i thought that was an interesting resolution. I didn't like how he was made aware of that fact since it just seemed like Chamot and Hans brought that stuff out of nowhere. It served to give the characters all the same information the audience had...but didn't feel like a natural part of the story to me at all.

Having a twist that there's yet another Brave and the mystery is still ongoing had me intrigued for a bit, but the way it played out was like a bad sitcom where everything goes back to the status quo in the most hackneyed, goofy way possible.

it's like the Three's Company of anime action mysteries.

Cow-girls design is super bad, it's like she's straightup cosplaying a cow.

I liked the show well enough, but i really don't care about where it goes from here, even if it were to get more episodes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Where did Adlet get a childhood friend anyway? From his old halfdead, fiend accommodating village? I thought his whole deal was that he was raised by a solitary, somewhat crazy murdohobo.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The cow is his mentor.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

a kitten posted:

Where did Adlet get a childhood friend anyway? From his old halfdead, fiend accommodating village? I thought his whole deal was that he was raised by a solitary, somewhat crazy murdohobo.

I recall him mentioning in one of the early episodes that he had a friend who found out she was a saint but didn't want to be. It came up when he and Nacshetanya were discussing how all Saints were female.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ah, i guess my memory is just faulty about that. It's good she was mentioned earlier.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Here's a small gallery of Flamie fanart somebody compiled

http://imgur.com/a/GrUJT

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Pavlov posted:

*snif* But I trusted you Nowon! You made me think this was good! How can I- how can I ever trust another person again! *becomes demon god*

Hey, if this means you're Flamie and I'm Adlet, I'll take that deal every day of the week. I am the strongest poster in the world!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Awful.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

alcharagia posted:

I think we can all agree though that Adlet Myer, the Strongest Man in the World, is the protagonist of the year.
Absolutely.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Nash appears later, because obviously she does. For those who voted for Goldov as the seventh as a way to develop his character, I think that Goldov having his entire spirit broken and still having to fight and adventure is an interesting development.

I was totally ready for season 2 to revolve around Goldof losing his poo poo and everyone trying to deal with that. There's a good story there.

But Rokka seems to be mostly ignoring it.

Also, since bunnygirl is a dick, and bunnycat was also a dick, can I safely assume all anime bunnies are dicks?

That has unfortunate implications for that bunny sol restaurant show thing that some people liked.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

wtf is a bunnycat

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I'm pretty sure that's a pokemon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Predates Pokémon by about three years actually

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Please don't post wanted, vicious space pirates here. Too scary.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Besides Ryo-ohki is a cabbit, not a bunnycat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shhhhh

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Question for you LN people (this includes that big spoiler from way into the LNs) So far I know of at least three plots to stop the Braves, but are all of these plans devised by the same guy?

1)Grow a half-demon Saint to kill any proto-braves until there are only trash tier candidates (immediately abandon/kill her if she fails to kill one target though)

2)Mimic a Brave to infiltrate the team with someone who can use at least Saint-level magic and avoid anti-demon barriers. Incite them to kill each other (also make sure to bring another fake brave along that will be the first target). The best place for this is a hella secret anti-demon temple. The plan needs a kidnapped Saint and a team of mimic demons as well.

3)Brainwash some scrub back in the day to auto-love the assassin from #1 just in case she becomes a Brave after getting burned (to... hurt her feelings I guess?). It's okay to kill him first in plan #2 though.

Are there more of these? This would make slightly more sense if the "demon politics are complicated" line from FlamFlam meant that were interfering with each other I guess.

Admoon posted:

wtf is a bunnycat

Super cute wish granting magical girl sidekick

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

GloomMouse posted:

So far I know of at least three plots to stop the Braves, but are all of these retarded asspulls devised by the same guy?
Yea. The author

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GloomMouse posted:

Question for you LN people (this includes that big spoiler from way into the LNs) So far I know of at least three plots to stop the Braves, but are all of these plans devised by the same guy?

1)Grow a half-demon Saint to kill any proto-braves until there are only trash tier candidates (immediately abandon/kill her if she fails to kill one target though)

2)Mimic a Brave to infiltrate the team with someone who can use at least Saint-level magic and avoid anti-demon barriers. Incite them to kill each other (also make sure to bring another fake brave along that will be the first target). The best place for this is a hella secret anti-demon temple. The plan needs a kidnapped Saint and a team of mimic demons as well.

3)Brainwash some scrub back in the day to auto-love the assassin from #1 just in case she becomes a Brave after getting burned (to... hurt her feelings I guess?). It's okay to kill him first in plan #2 though.

Are there more of these? This would make slightly more sense if the "demon politics are complicated" line from FlamFlam meant that were interfering with each other I guess.

There's 3 competing factions in the Fiend army. Two of them happened to figure out how to make a fake Brave, and were unaware of the others' plans.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

alcharagia posted:

He's up against Hajime, Karen, and that one chick from that Spring high-school show nobody remembers. Maybe if the finale didn't completely sell him out as the only person that could possibly also be a fake he'd have a chance.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GloomMouse posted:

Generic spoilers without actually revealing what the plans are.

1 and 3 are by the same guy, 2 is different.

There are 3 different factions among the fiends, each with different plans on how to end the war and what to do after the war.

The guy who did 1 and 3 also has at least 2 more plans, one of which involves 1 and 3. I think. I haven't finished volume 5 yet.

The guy who did 2 has another plan as well. It get hijacked by the other dude.

The third dude isn't really known for being a thinker.

So there are like... 5 or 6 plans?

There are a lot of plans.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There should have been 6 fake braves, none knowing of each other being fake.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nielsm posted:

There should have been 6 fake braves, none knowing of each other being fake.

The Brave Who Was Thursday.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

I was totally ready for season 2 to revolve around Goldof losing his poo poo and everyone trying to deal with that. There's a good story there.

But Rokka seems to be mostly ignoring it.

Also, since bunnygirl is a dick, and bunnycat was also a dick, can I safely assume all anime bunnies are dicks?

That has unfortunate implications for that bunny sol restaurant show thing that some people liked.
Goldov is losing his poo poo quite a bit already, and he's only had his entire worldview shattered for like half an episode so it's a bit early to say it's ignored, in my opinion. Notice how quick he was to try to defend Nash, even in light of her utter guilt? If they want to fight her later on down the line, guess who's probably going to say screw the world and try to protect her? Anyway, I think you'd like how Goldov develops, at least after book 2 which he mostly is just along for the ride on.

Also I like bunnies, what's the bunny sol restaurant show thing you're talking about? It sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't recall the name.

Oh, and for posterity, note that I'm so far down the Rokka rabbit hole (pun intended) that I even kind of like the new girl's Cow Armor.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NowonSA posted:

Goldov is losing his poo poo quite a bit already, and he's only had his entire worldview shattered for like half an episode so it's a bit early to say it's ignored, in my opinion. Notice how quick he was to try to defend Nash, even in light of her utter guilt? If they want to fight her later on down the line, guess who's probably going to say screw the world and try to protect her? Anyway, I think you'd like how Goldov develops, at least after book 2 which he mostly is just along for the ride on.

Also I like bunnies, what's the bunny sol restaurant show thing you're talking about? It sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't recall the name.

Oh, and for posterity, note that I'm so far down the Rokka rabbit hole (pun intended) that I even kind of like the new girl's Cow Armor.

Is the Order a Rabbit? Season 2.

Or as I like to call it, the Lesbian Coffee show.

Not to be confused with Yuru Yuri, which is just the Lesbian show.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Thanks for the info Zepia.

It really is such a Rokka thing to have Saint Blood be toxic to Fiends and blood powers in other movies, anime, etc. are traditionally super hardcore, metal, and badass, and instead of some kind of Saint blood soaked armor or armor that constantly has blood flowing across it, we get a cow. Nash could have had a crazy sword or blade themed armor too, similar to most of Erza's armors in Fairy Tail, but we got bunny ears. I guess I love Rokka for its flaws more than for what it really nails.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NowonSA posted:

Thanks for the info Zepia.

It really is such a Rokka thing to have Saint Blood be toxic to Fiends and blood powers in other movies, anime, etc. are traditionally super hardcore, metal, and badass, and instead of some kind of Saint blood soaked armor or armor that constantly has blood flowing across it, we get a cow. Nash could have had a crazy sword or blade themed armor too, similar to most of Erza's armors in Fairy Tail, but we got bunny ears. I guess I love Rokka for its flaws more than for what it really nails.

Ezra's armor includes a bunny girl outfit, a maid outfit, and so forth. Not that it matters cause Mashima keeps going back to the boob bandages.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I'm Adlet Meyer cus I called all of this last ep.

The guards lying. Nash being the 7th. Adlet's friend showing up at the end. Nash's plan to kill people was even guessed by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm Chamot cause all I did was spew meaningless filth from my mouth in this thread.

• Locked thread