Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, seagoats. Worthy successors to the grasspigs of Unreal. They really should've been on the box instead of Aida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Just saying as well that I have no idea about what the original music sounded like, but this soundtrack is a whole bunch better.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

C.M. Kruger posted:

I dunno if it's just me but the space ship models seem to be really oddly/inconsistently sized. In the first video I can't shake this feeling that the Atlantis is really small compared to the size of our protagonist's shuttle.

Nah, I agree with you. The scale just seems all wrong for everything.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
I love Unreal and I thought Unreal II was pretty neat, even if it isn't quite as good as the first one or Tournament. Something like a pre-2005 version of Mass Effect. As a minor nitpick, the developers didn't "include a dodge move to make up for your walking speed". The doubletap-dodge has been part of Unreal since at least Unreal Gold, and I'm pretty sure it was in the original Unreal as well.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Yeah the dodge has always been in Unreal... but your normal movement speed was pretty drat fast, and dodging was worth the effort because it made you move quite far.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Long post incoming

JamieTheD posted:

They're certainly not amazingly fleshed out, but they definitely have little touches, much like this game, that bring it above the level that's commonly ascribed to it. And y'know, props where props are due! :)
drat, you're putting more effort into the characters than the game does :v:

But tbf, I can follow your thoughts here. Thing is, on paper this game has fairly good characters, it's just that the delivery is so dry that it never uses the potential as well as it could. For instance, Aida has a lot more to offer besides being the tough and sexy soldier babe, but since she hardly ever shows any emotion, the reveal of her story kinda falls flat.

radintorov posted:

Ah the defense sections: I remember that, along with the fire effects, they were one of the advertised features of this game.
So it's not surprising that it turns into a bit of an overused gimmick, as you mentioned in the video.
It's actually interesting to learn that defenses were an advertised feature. Now I also understand why we'll see several of them. As said in the last episode, I do like the concept and the tools added for it, but it does bug me that it kinda becomes a standard thing once we're past the midgame.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I do remember the shotgun being pretty nice, but all the same, the Flak Cannon is sorely missed.
I feel that the shotgun is a sort of callback to the Flak Cannon. Like, at least the alt-fire kinda reminds me of it. And the firing animations do too. But I could also be wishing it to be a callback :v:

CheeseThief posted:

I swear it isn't nostaglia goggles, this game is cool.
I'm real curious to see how people that enjoy this game will respond when we get into the midgame. Cause that's the point where the game will define itself for a good while. Like, the opening has better ideas imo, with the midgame being sorta bland, and then the endgame comes with more good ideas and some real bad ones.

Overall though, much like Mace Griffin, this game is basically stuffed with neat ideas that somehow didn't result in it being amazing.

C.M. Kruger posted:

I dunno if it's just me but the space ship models seem to be really oddly/inconsistently sized. In the first video I can't shake this feeling that the Atlantis is really small compared to the size of our protagonist's shuttle.
You have to keep in mind that the Atlantis isn't supposed to be very large in the first place. It only has enough room for 4 people, the shuttle bay/cargo hold, and some side rooms. But yeah, I also think there is some slight inconsistency going on with the ship models.

your evil twin posted:

So happy to see a new Tin Tim LP! :D

With you playing stuff like this and Mace Griffin, and me having done things like TimeShift, Inversion and Darkest of Days, I think the two of us may get a reputation as "the connoisseurs of crap".
Hey, dude! Nice seeing you around. And you know it, flawed games are our jam :respek:

Also, since you know this game, I feel you'll be looking forward to the next videos when we get the Flamethrower

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, seagoats. Worthy successors to the grasspigs of Unreal.
It'll be a while before we see the omnious cutscene Seagoat again, but all I'm saying is that I wish that you could pet it or play with it :(

Crazy Achmed posted:

Just saying as well that I have no idea about what the original music sounded like, but this soundtrack is a whole bunch better.
I guess I should be fair and say that the OST isn't bad. It's like industrial synth mixed with some classic instruments. Really not that bad, but somewhat underwhelming in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmom38QP2sY

Wales Grey posted:

The doubletap-dodge has been part of Unreal since at least Unreal Gold, and I'm pretty sure it was in the original Unreal as well.

your evil twin posted:

Yeah the dodge has always been in Unreal... but your normal movement speed was pretty drat fast, and dodging was worth the effort because it made you move quite far.
For real?! I totally don't remember it being at thing back then. Well, it has been like 100 years since I last played an old Unreal game, but I could have sworn that it was a new thing in Unreal 2. Well, if I'm indeed wrong here, I'll correct that in a future video where I have some free air.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

your evil twin posted:

So happy to see a new Tin Tim LP! :D

As with Mace Griffin, I think that watching your LP will be infinitely more enjoyable than playing the actual game!

We get to see the cool things and admire the pretty graphics, and we don't have to struggle through the tough parts, and your witty commentary and custom soundtrack keep the boring bits entertaining.

I remember when the game was about to come out the developers said they were sure someone would develop a nude mod for it on day one. Which of course they intended as a selling point: "We've put a sexy character in this game that we are sure you are going to lust for. We aren't actually allowed to give her to you nude, but we've made sure the game is moddable, so PC gamers, go ahead and do your thing!"

Their marketing strategy backfired on me though - I (correctly) reasoned that if a big-name title like Unreal 2 needed to advertise itself by saying BOOBS rather than showing videos of exciting gameplay then chances were the that game itself was a bit weak.

I eventually did play this game several years later, entirely because I heard about the game's cool final weapon. Found most of the game playable but unremarkable... but yep that final weapon was pretty drat great and almost made it worth it.

With you playing stuff like this and Mace Griffin, and me having done things like TimeShift, Inversion and Darkest of Days, I think the two of us may get a reputation as "the connoisseurs of crap".

(Except that I think that TimeShift and Inversion are genuinely underrated, and Mace Griffin turned out to be pretty interesting, despite its flaws. Unreal 2... not so much haha! How do you end up making a slow-paced, linear Unreal game?!)

Timeshift and Inversion are underrated, and Unreal 2 would probably be better appreciated if it wasn't called Unreal 2

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh man, Unreal 2. I, uh... actually made a mod for this for a major project when I was at university. Back in the day it probably would have been called a "total/partial conversion" - or maybe just a "singleplayer episode".

It's weird to think about now, but the modding community for Unreal 2 was so small that back then, I was basically the guy that worked out how to do things, and then shared the info.

There was a separate utility to UnrealEd that was used to set up meshes for use in-game, and I remember having to e-mail one of the devs - the guy who made this utility - to ask how to work with character collision in it. The game didn't use havok physics - it had its own ragdoll system where you defined shapes for collision based on the characters' skeletons. It turned out there was an undocumented hotkey (F4, I think?) that made the collision shapes visible. It was a good thing I was able to get in contact with him because I never would have guessed, and it might have killed the project otherwise.

As for the mod itself, it really showed that most of my time was spent just working out how to get things to work; it wasn't very good. Starting life as a Deus Ex mod before being ported to Unreal 2 halfway through didn't help, either.

Anyway, I was a huge fan of the original Unreal. It was such a shame that Epic went over to the "dark side" of multiplayer and then console games. I was really looking forward to Unreal 2 but found it pretty disappointing.

Before Unreal 2 came out I seem to remember the devs talking up some absolutely ridiculous ideas for enemies in the game. Things like blob(?) enemies that could separate into smaller pieces to fit through small cracks before reforming (dynamically, in a 2003 game), enemies that were actually a single entity from a higher dimension that could appear in essentially infinite numbers, complex in-fighting between various factions... that sort of thing. Unsurprisingly, none of these things appeared in the final game.

And yeah, the dodge move was in Unreal 1 too. I remember it clearly, because since you do it by double-tapping a movement direction, I mostly ended up dodging right off a cliff when what I wanted to do was shuffle carefully up to the edge of it. :saddowns:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

WirelessPillow posted:

Unreal 2 would probably be better appreciated if it wasn't called Unreal 2
You know, that is actually a really neat thought. I think the game would have had a more favourable reception without the big shoes of Unreal that it had to step into.

Antistar01 posted:

Oh man, Unreal 2. I, uh... actually made a mod for this for a major project when I was at university.

Before Unreal 2 came out I seem to remember the devs talking up some absolutely ridiculous ideas for enemies in the game. Things like blob(?) enemies that could separate into smaller pieces to fit through small cracks before reforming (dynamically, in a 2003 game), enemies that were actually a single entity from a higher dimension that could appear in essentially infinite numbers, complex in-fighting between various factions... that sort of thing. Unsurprisingly, none of these things appeared in the final game.
Thanks for sharing! That's some interesting stuff

So, I don't wanna sound needy, but I would really like to get some feedback on the audio mix in the last episode. I've touched up the first two episodes and pulled the music down a bit, but I would like to know if I hit the ballpark last time before I upload them again.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

The audio was good, IMO. The music was never overwhelming, and I could hear everything (important) that was going on, even when I watched it later on my TV.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Last video sounded fine to me.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks, folks! The fixed episodes will go up in a few minutes. RIP all those views/likes/comments that could fuel my LP career :qq:

VVVVVV
I LET'S PLAY GUD

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 11, 2015

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks, folks! The fixed episodes will go up in a few minutes. RIP all those views/likes/comments that could fuel my LP career :qq:

Just re-watched the first episode (fixed), and I would say that is probably as good as its going to get, if the music was lower it would likely be hard to hear over other noises.

You may want to fix the links in your first and second post.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Sorry for the delay, but my connection insisted on being an rear end in a top hat over the weekend and I coulnd't upload at a reasonable pace!

Hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq2TWUh4BuY
John gets sent to investigate a remote research station that suddenly went dark. The fact that the researchers were also investigating an artifact that's very similar to the one he recovered from Sanctuary probably doesn't mean anything at all :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APL2cROZA6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqsfhwzoKcI

As a personal note, I'm not too happy that the last episode only has a single track. Thing is, there was no good switch point besides the bossfight, and everything I tried from my stash felt like a weird break to me. So I went with it instead of delaying this even more by diggin for that one perfect track to satisfy my Lp gold standards

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I have to agree with your conclusions about Hell; I'd say it's a problem that actually exists in lots of levels (SPOILER, I GUESS?)

Part of it is the movespeed is so completely glacial compared to the size of the environments - that's just garbage. You spend far too long trudging through each hallway and/or vent and when nothing else is going on to interest you .. well, it's just not interesting! Is there a U2 mod which just gives you 125-150% movespeed? I bet that'd make you happier and cut ten minutes out of each mission - at least. The other part is compare the number of things that happen in Sanctuary - Dalton was talking, Aida was talking, radio guy was talking, different things were happening.

here it's just 30 minutes of walking through hallways and/or vents with a flamethrower. And then more hallways. And a vent. And that's it. I realize that it's not entirely fair to compare the first mission of the game (where everything is new, by definition) to the third or fourth (where everything is not) but even then, they could've done better than this.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
It's true that this level does outstay its welcome, although I've become somewhat inured to it due to the game's give and take. For example, the whole "Go To Hell" thing? Made me laugh. Twice. But as to the flamethrower, a misconception as to how it works (IE - Thinking it's a "hose 'em down" flamethrower rather than what it actually is) can get you in serious trouble. Much like the films this level pays homage to, the key is short, controlled bursts.

I agree that it could have done with more spiders in certain segments, although several of my already arachnophobic friends would most likely disagree. :(

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Great video as usual. I get what you say about the Half-Life vibe though, I was getting it too the entire time. This level also reminds of The Library from Halo: Combat Evolved. Just the same rooms over and over again with a control panel or two in between.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I remember the early parts of this level from when I played Unreal 2, but the rest of it? Absolutely no recollection; it's so bland.

I think it does improve a little later on, though.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I liked the concept of the different labs and their gimmicks. Also, you kept using the flameshot of the shotgun against the big spiders and tried to hit the small one with regular fire, when using it the other way around would have been far more effective.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Psion posted:

Is there a U2 mod which just gives you 125-150% movespeed? I bet that'd make you happier and cut ten minutes out of each mission - at least.

I found this on the Steam forums: "I was able to set this permenantly by editing my unreal2.ini file, in 'unreal2\system' I looked through it with search and found two instances of 'PlayerSpeedRatio=1.000000' and changed them both to 'PlayerSpeedRatio=2.000000'."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

inscrutable horse posted:

I found this on the Steam forums: "I was able to set this permenantly by editing my unreal2.ini file, in 'unreal2\system' I looked through it with search and found two instances of 'PlayerSpeedRatio=1.000000' and changed them both to 'PlayerSpeedRatio=2.000000'."

so, Tin Tim, wanna sacrifice your U2 for science? You should also apparently disable vsync if you haven't to make level loads faster, because that makes sense. Also from what I read someone said 1.5 or so feels more like Unreal Gold to them and 2.0 is "too fast" but that's just one post, so who knows.

You're already past it but this supposedly fixes the intro problem: https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads/flyby-intro-fails.186714/page-4#post-2404290

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 18, 2015

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Psion posted:

so, Tin Tim, wanna sacrifice your U2 for science?
I actually already did the science before starting the Lp!

Here's the thing, while you can indeed go into the cfg/ini files and increase the player speed(1.5 is good enough), it doesn't stick in my version of the game(GOG). For some reason it ignores the new values after a level transition(hint: there are many), so I figured there must be one last value that I didn't dig up(despite going through pretty much all files) and stopped bothering. You can actually also set your speed through the ingame console with the "SetSpeed x" command, but that also has to be done again after each transition. So yeah, a lot of hassle for me that I didn't want to put up with. However, I'm not opposed to doing a bonus video with increased speed and some other console commands that may be fun. Commands like setting the game to complete slow mo, boosting the speed of everything by a global command, 3d person camera and other nonesense :v:

Psion posted:

You should also apparently disable vsync if you haven't to make level loads faster, because that makes sense.
Huh, weird. Never tried that but the loading speed is somewhat crappy especially since there are some many transitions. Which is also kinda garbage if you consider that Unreal's loading screens went by pretty fast and it also had way less transitions.

Nuramor posted:

Also, you kept using the flameshot of the shotgun against the big spiders and tried to hit the small one with regular fire, when using it the other way around would have been far more effective.
Since they die so fast either way, I didn't really bother with being efficient. Though, the big spiders make cool noises when you set them on fire so I was biased towards that

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 18, 2015

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I rather enjoyed the "go to Hell" joke. I also thought the banter between the characters worked pretty well!

I agree with the feeling that there's definitely more that could've been done with the Intermission segments - like maybe some interactions between crew members, or perhaps we could bring back little "souvenirs" from the previous missions in addition to or instead of just photographs. As it stands, it just feels like a big wasted opportunity.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Going to do my usual thing and sing the game's praises, couple of small notes straight off the bat were how much I liked the voice acting, Marshal's VA does a great job both with the casual banter and with a more tender delivery when talking about Aida to the pilot. I also just noticed the idle animation for the assault rifle where he fiddles with the cylinder, I've been a sucker for that kind of thing since Half Life's snarks.

Heck I even enjoyed the jumping puzzle! It's short enough to not outstay it's welcome and give room for gently caress ups.

Unreal 2 is like a big tapas style engine demo full of "look what our new product can do for YOUR game" style moments, it's a big old bridge between the theories of game design that came before it and the more character driven focus that followed it. If Unreal 2 were made today it would probably feature an RPG stat system, moral choices and collectibles. That it came out as well as it did is pretty impressive, it could have been a lot more soulless and transparent as a marketing vector.

If it had a whole bunch more polish, if the people they were trying to appeal to with the wide range of styles were the ones who worked on those sections, it would be almost the perfect game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Tin Tim posted:

Here's the thing, while you can indeed go into the cfg/ini files and increase the player speed(1.5 is good enough), it doesn't stick in my version of the game(GOG).

that's truly cruel. Does it just ignore your ini changes after the first load or does it actually re-write the INI to have the original values again?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

your evil twin posted:

I remember when the game was about to come out the developers said they were sure someone would develop a nude mod for it on day one. Which of course they intended as a selling point: "We've put a sexy character in this game that we are sure you are going to lust for. We aren't actually allowed to give her to you nude, but we've made sure the game is moddable, so PC gamers, go ahead and do your thing!"

This game also has the most ridiculous boob armour in all gaming history ever (the Liandri Angels). I shall mock the poo poo out of it when we get to them.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Soup Inspector posted:

I rather enjoyed the "go to Hell" joke. I also thought the banter between the characters worked pretty well!

I agree with the feeling that there's definitely more that could've been done with the Intermission segments - like maybe some interactions between crew members, or perhaps we could bring back little "souvenirs" from the previous missions in addition to or instead of just photographs. As it stands, it just feels like a big wasted opportunity.
I actually failed to point it out, but yeah, it was a good joke. At first you think Aida is loving with Ne'Ban, but then you learn that's it's the actual name of the planet :v:

Also, we'll actually see a bit of banter between our crew, but it's really a minor thing. The real potential of the intermission sections doesn't get used, and I'm a huge sucker for such things. I'm the type of player that looks for little changes and extra speech lines or what have you, and I'm disappointed when I don't find anything cool.

CheeseThief posted:

Marshal's VA does a great job both with the casual banter and with a more tender delivery when talking about Aida to the pilot.
To me it's weird how inconsistent the VA is. Like, it's usually great in the ship scenes and the scene at the security checkpoint was good too. The chipper tone of the AI voice makes me smile, especially since it's such a small detail. But then you have moments where the lines flow awkward(like when John blew off Ne'Ban right away without even reacting to the "go to hell" line), or when the delivery goes all cardboard(like when John was questioning the maintenance guy). I do enjoy the amount of VA they put in, but a little more polish wouldn't have hurt.

CheeseThief posted:

Unreal 2 is like a big tapas style engine demo full of "look what our new product can do for YOUR game" style moments, it's a big old bridge between the theories of game design that came before it and the more character driven focus that followed it.
That's actually a cool point that I can get behind :engleft:

Psion posted:

that's truly cruel. Does it just ignore your ini changes after the first load or does it actually re-write the INI to have the original values again?
The changes stay in the files, but it ignores it after a loading screen for mysterious reasons. I think there is one last instance of 'PlayerSpeedRatio=1.000000' hidden in a weird corner of the root folder(or in a packed data file), but I just couldn't find it. Or maybe there is even an internal engine value or something that takes precedence over the files you can edit. I'm not really educated about the finer points of the Unreal engines, but I could see it be a thing.

Loxbourne posted:

This game also has the most ridiculous boob armour in all gaming history ever (the Liandri Angels). I shall mock the poo poo out of it when we get to them.
lmao, yeah, that is a thing. It'll take two more full missions until we see it, but I tried getting a good look at that particular armor style. Though, due to the nature of that mission, it wasn't really possible. No worries though, we'll see the military grade cleavage again later on :v:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

You can actually also set your speed through the ingame console with the "SetSpeed x" command, but that also has to be done again after each transition.

I can't remember what the console is like in Unreal 2, but if it behaves like most in-game consoles do then maybe you can just tap the Up cursor button to bring up the last command entered, and then hit Enter to enter it again. That doesn't sound so bad.

Of course, I have no idea what that might do to scripted events in the game; like if you trigger something and then move on and trigger the next thing faster than it's expecting you to be able to. Who knows.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Antistar01 posted:

Of course, I have no idea what that might do to scripted events in the game; like if you trigger something and then move on and trigger the next thing faster than it's expecting you to be able to. Who knows.

If I remember my (admittedly not very deep) run at making maps in Unreal Editor, triggers are generally zones that you walk through (this explains that door not opening again, since the trigger was probably further behind Tin Tim), so I don't think there's any events you can "outrun" like that.

As for the LP itself, Tin Tim, you've mentioned series lore a couple of times and how you don't know what from this game applies to it. As far as I remember, not a single thing new to this game comes up in any of the other main games. Of course, those don't even have story modes again until UT3, but still, I don't remember any of the events here making it into the backstory of future games. And thank goodness, that Skaarj power armor would just look silly in a Tournament.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Oblivion4568238 posted:

If I remember my (admittedly not very deep) run at making maps in Unreal Editor, triggers are generally zones that you walk through (this explains that door not opening again, since the trigger was probably further behind Tin Tim), so I don't think there's any events you can "outrun" like that.

Based on how it behaved in the video I think it was probably a trigger volume that was set to open the door when the player entered it, but only if the door was currently closed - so Tim had to leave the trigger and enter it again; staying inside it wasn't enough. That's still just a guess, though; it's been a long time since I've used any version of UnrealEd, let alone UnrealEd 2. Things like triggers are usually fairly similar across different games though, and I deal with them fairly often in the (Skyrim) Creation Kit; you need to be careful with them or you get awkward stuff like that door in the video.

With "outrunning" things, I was more wondering about the potential for stuff like entering Trigger A which plays a line of dialogue, then entering Trigger B which also plays a line of dialogue - perhaps from the same character - but is now playing it over the top of the first one because you've triggered it sooner than you were supposed to be able to. That'd be pretty benign, but you could have much worse happen. Still, this is all hypothetical; I was just wondering aloud, really.

Generic Hero
Oct 17, 2013
Well, I put my unrealscript knowledge to use

https://mega.co.nz/#!1YtmHSjL!J3O5H0cBUJiCkj1adEcBE8UlrbEGFMbOcbNNzibYNaE

This is a mutator that you can summon that will

1) deglacierize your speed back to UT99/U1 levels
2) add itself to level changer URLs so it automatically does 1) every level load

I have not tested this much (my unreal 2 crashes too much.. go figure), but it seems to work without any bugs.

To use it, unzip and put the U2SpeedMutator.u into your Unreal2\System folder,

then in game enable cheats if you haven't already (hit tab and type "bemymonkey")

If cheats are already enabled, just hit tab and type "summon u2speedmutator.u2speedmutator"

You should only need to do this once every playthrough, but it is possible that it may not save your options URL in a save game(I have not tested)

I have included the source in .UC if you want to compile it yourself, but the .u file is not obfuscated, so that will work too.

I also compiled some.. interesting info from UT/U2.

UT99 posted:

>get tmale2 groundspeed
Log: 400.000000
>get tmale2 waterspeed
Log: 200.000000
>get tmale2 airspeed
Log: 400.000000
>get tmale2 accelrate
Log: 2048.000000

Unreal 2 posted:

>get u2player groundspeed
Log: 263.000000
>get u2player waterspeed
Log: 140.000000
>get u2player airspeed
Log: 280.000000
>get u2player accelrate
Log: 8192.000000

In U2 you accelerate to your slower top speed... faster.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Not really familiar with unreal but starting with video one that soundtrack is really freaking good.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Generic Hero posted:

Well, I put my unrealscript knowledge to use
Whoa that's a cool thingy! Everyone who feels compelled to play along should probably use this and have way more fun :v:

As for me, I've actually already recorded the whole game so I may gently caress around with it for private reasons

Zain posted:

Not really familiar with unreal but starting with video one that soundtrack is really freaking good.
Thanks, I try to keep it up!

Oh, also sorry for the delay!! I got two unexpected projects dumped into my lap that I have to work through at the moment, and that leaves close to zero time for talking about weird video games. New videos should go up sometime next week though, so I hope you can hold out.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Acheron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuTkY-i1Wqg
John finally gets the big news he's been waiting for, and is officially tasked with hunting the artifacts. Also, this video is very talky, so feel free to skip things if you've already played the game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxk7Bf31W3Q
The next artifact has been located on a gross and hosed up planet that alsohappens to be alive, so obviously John races over there to get all up in it :ohdear:

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

Tin Tim posted:

Acheron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuTkY-i1Wqg
John finally gets the big news he's been waiting for, and is officially tasked with hunting the artifacts. Also, this video is very talky, so feel free to skip things if you've already played the game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxk7Bf31W3Q
The next artifact has been located on a gross and hosed up planet that also happens to be alive, so obviously John races over there to get all up in it :ohdear:

To me this level is Unreal 2. Every time I think about the game I remember this level. The premise is really nice, even if the execution is a bit lacking in my opinion. I just love weird science-fiction stuff like this.

Edit: Also, the Eliot reference made me really happy for some reason. :allears:

bumblingbee fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 8, 2015

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I have to agree with both of you, the execution brings down what's otherwise a very cool concept. I have to admit it irked me a little more than it should have that even when the (pretty disgusting) planet is literally trying to kill him John can't manage anything faster than "casual Sunday stroll". :v:

At first I thought it was a bit strange that John initially showed no emotion whatsoever when he found out he was being reinstated, but on second thoughts I figure he was just trying to keep up appearances in front of a superior. It'd look bad if he started giggling like a schoolgirl and jumping up and down in glee, after all! I did think his voice actor did a good job with the "Isn't it awesome we're back in the Marines?" and the radio conversations, though.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I remember this level, but I'd forgotten how short it was; wow.

I'd also forgotten the rocket launcher and its mildly unusual secondary fire mode. Maybe because it's not as interesting/weird as the rocket launcher in Unreal 1, which looked like a minigun and could fire up to six rockets at once depending on how long you held the fire button down. It did a surprising number of different things depending on which fire button you pressed (primary/secondary, as in Unreal 2), whether you held down the button, or held down one button then pressed the other. Single or multiple rockets flying in a straight line - in a spread or grouped all together - or you could fire them like bouncy grenades on a ballistic trajectory. Oh, and I think you could use them as homing rockets if you locked onto a target before firing. It was bananas.

Tim didn't really comment on it in the video, but I liked the magnum; I think it was my favourite weapon, actually. The three-round-burst was really satisfying. In the mod I made for the game I had a pistol weapon that used the same behaviour as the magnum. It was a Beretta 92FS - pretty standard in computer games - and I remember re-jigging the alternate fire so that it was just a single shot, like the primary. In hindsight I probably should have made it a Beretta 93R instead and kept the burst-fire, but I don't think I knew the difference back then. :v:

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

I recall that the Star Trek Generations videogame had a similar living planet. I like how Unreal 2 has a combination of human machinery and crates intruding on the fleshy environment.

Loved that your Hell video used Peturbator music - I was listening to that particular track just the day before! Very appropriate for the facility full of spiders.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Good videos, really enjoyable.
Also the commentary is really good... and of course that precious German accent :D

I am not so sure about the new soundtrack... Especially in the first video it's so painfully 80's synth and cheery it doesn't really jive with the atmosphere of the game at all. Maybe for the later missions you'll choose something more atmospheric?
But if that's your Gimmick for your LPs I guess okay.

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

It definitely works in the later ones, that's for sure.

• Locked thread