Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Wouldn't the heavy armor guy switch to a flamethrower at close range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Kickass. Unreal is a series I never really got into, but they're one of the big pieces of FPS history.

Plus you do rad LPs, looking forward to getting caught up.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

CheeseThief posted:

Wouldn't the heavy armor guy switch to a flamethrower at close range?
I believe he does. I can't watch it back right now, but there is some flamin going on

Skippy Granola posted:

Kickass. Unreal is a series I never really got into, but they're one of the big pieces of FPS history.

Plus you do rad LPs, looking forward to getting caught up.
Right back at you, Skippy :respek:

Hey y'all! This is another "Tin Tim is bad at doing things in time" post. I got caught by some renovations and poo poo at home, so I couldn't make much room for editing time. Though, as an apology, y'all will get 3 videos this week. Pinky promise!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That's cool, no rush.

Actually I was just thinking about Unreal 2 recently. In hearing it again via this LP, Dalton's voice sounded incredibly familiar and it was really bugging me; where had I heard it before? Just recently I started watching an LP of Redguard (sort of an Elder Scrolls spin-off from the late nineties), and it clicked: it's Michael Mack and he did the male Redguard voices in Morrowind and Oblivion - but not Skyrim, I don't think. He did the voice of the main character in Redguard, too.

No wonder he sounded so familiar; I still count Morrowind as basically my favourite game of all time.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tin Tim posted:

Hey y'all! This is another "Tin Tim is bad at doing things in time" post. I got caught by some renovations and poo poo at home, so I couldn't make much room for editing time. Though, as an apology, y'all will get 3 videos this week. Pinky promise!

No worries man, it's cool. Just post the soundtrack you were going to use, and we'll call it even, deal? :v:

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I recently updated the Singularity LP. You'll know your LP is in trouble if I manage to post another update before you. :D

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Janus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhMzwCxvvg
Backstory time!

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 16, 2015

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Antistar01 posted:

Actually I was just thinking about Unreal 2 recently. In hearing it again via this LP, Dalton's voice sounded incredibly familiar and it was really bugging me; where had I heard it before? Just recently I started watching an LP of Redguard (sort of an Elder Scrolls spin-off from the late nineties), and it clicked: it's Michael Mack and he did the male Redguard voices in Morrowind and Oblivion - but not Skyrim, I don't think. He did the voice of the main character in Redguard, too.
Hey that's a nice piece of trivia! I played the poo poo out of Morrowind but didn't recal his voice at all.

CommissarMega posted:

No worries man, it's cool. Just post the soundtrack you were going to use, and we'll call it even, deal? :v:
Oh you :ironicat:

your evil twin posted:

I recently updated the Singularity LP. You'll know your LP is in trouble if I manage to post another update before you. :D
lmao

But I have to say that my connection decided to be crappy and bad today so I didn't get the main videos up and can only post the briefing. Sorry, folks. I know the service is spotty right now but we'll get there :v:

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
In the video, the screen goes completely black right in the middle of Aida's briefing. Is is supposed to do that?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Fuucckk why does that happen when I don't check the video one time :argh:

I'll fix it and upload it again right away

E: Also like 60 peeps clicked on it and only one tells me that it's broken :negative:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 16, 2015

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Tin Tim posted:

E: Also like 60 peeps clicked on it and only one tells me that it's broken :negative:

I honestly didn't think much of it because it felt like I didn't miss much of the briefing to be honest. v:shobon:v

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

I honestly didn't think much of it because it felt like I didn't miss much of the briefing to be honest. v:shobon:v
Yeah okay, you don't really need the picture for the briefing. But mah lp standard :qq:

Janus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHSiid2XqMY
A strike team of Isanagi mercs has taken control of the TCA research base on Janus, with the aim to grab the two artifacts stored there along with the top researcher. John gets sent in again to save the day, but he has to work fast because the Liandri Angel mercs are already on his tail too.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I mentioned earlier that there was only one more level in Unreal 2 that I remember, and this is the one; mainly the part that comes next, and one quote from Dalton in particular.

I really liked the music in this episode; that first track in particular.

Tin Tim posted:

Hey that's a nice piece of trivia! I played the poo poo out of Morrowind but didn't recal his voice at all.

To carry on in that vein, this time as soon as I heard Meyer's voice I recognised it; it's the guy who did the male Imperial and Dunmer voices in Morrowind and Oblivion; Jeff Baker. I did not pick that he also did Isaak's voice though... but now that I think about it, it does sound a bit like his "Dunmer" voice. (While Meyer sounds like his "Imperial" voice.)

Sorry, I'm a bit of an Elder Scrolls nerd. :v:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Honestly, you could have at least shown off the effect of the spidergun on enemies. Just shooting a yellow blob on the ground doesn't do much.
Also: holy gently caress you can oneshot heavies with incendiaries? Why didn't anyone ever tell me that?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Antistar01 posted:

I really liked the music in this episode; that first track in particular.
Good to hear! I had some trouble to pick tracks that I liked for this video.

Antistar01 posted:

Sorry, I'm a bit of an Elder Scrolls nerd. :v:
Do carry on! I have a thing for weird facts and details :v:

Nuramor posted:

Honestly, you could have at least shown off the effect of the spidergun on enemies. Just shooting a yellow blob on the ground doesn't do much.
Ask and you shall receive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1luwWHkUxe0

But yeah, I probably should have done a real demo in the video. Whoops

Also I have to correct something. The alt-fire doesn't actually make spiders pop from the eggs like my memory told me. It's basically just the same as the primary fire but the effect seems to stick a tiny bit longer. Also I threw in stun grenades into the video because why not. And lastly, I had no idea that you could kill people with EMP grenades. Maybe the guy took a lot of small hits from the other weapons and the grenade pushed him over the edge? We'll never know

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Wow, those are terrible! I mean, you said they were terrible, but seeing them in action really drives it home. I mean, enemies don't even stop shooting you when knocked down!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Actually, if memory serves, if you fire an egg on the ground then shoot that egg with the other firemode that will make the giant spider apear. You should give it a try.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I can sort-of see the Concussion grenades being useable against those spider enemies (do they appear again?) to keep them away, but in the time it takes you to switch to those you could've just killed them instead.
And enemies can still shoot at you while being concussed.
So yes, that is a useless weapon unless you have a bottomless pit nearby and don't care about recovering ammo and energy from your dead enemies.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Yeah, the problem with both those weapons is that by the time they appear there aren't any enemies left who they'd be useful against. The spidergun still has some utility as a distraction weapon in tight base corridors, and that's where I used it with some success.

I wonder if it was any good in multiplayer?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Tombot posted:

Actually, if memory serves, if you fire an egg on the ground then shoot that egg with the other firemode that will make the giant spider apear. You should give it a try.

Wait, so it's like the shock combo but with giant spiders instead of explosions? That's simultaneously amazing and horrifying. :stare:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Tombot posted:

That also works? Interesting. I remember that you need to hold the secondary fire button to charge the gun. Once it is fully charged, the egg spawns the actual spider.

The only use I ever found for concussion grenades is to use them against forcefields, so I'm not using actually useful ammunition to break them. Although they also die from a single EMP hit.

Nuramor fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 20, 2015

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Tombot posted:

Nuramor posted:

That also works? Interesting. I remember that you need to hold the secondary fire button to charge the gun. Once it is fully charged, the egg spawns the actual spider.
Both of these things are actually true and I wish I would have seen Nuramor's post before making this second silly demo. Though, I guess what I really wish for is that this game would have been clearer on how this drat gun should be used :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROa-n_qTIQs

So yeah, as it turns out I just remembered this weapon wrong and it's not as bad as I thought. The AI of the spiders makes them a little useless in open areas, but I guess they're much better when you're inside a corridor or structure. Though, it's up for debate how useful it is to invest your time into making a spider swarm when you can just kill enemies the old fashioned way. It's certainly fun to gently caress around with the spiders though!

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

If memory serves the concussion grenades are kind of handy during the next section as a gimmick.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Janus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyNars_C6WA
After securing the artifacts and Dr. Meyer, John finds himself trapped inside the research base. His only option is to fight his way to the roof and link up with a marine commando unit that dropped in while John was busy. With their help, he should be able to hold out long enough for their extraction to arrive. However, the Angel mercs already arrived in full force and are closing in on him and Dr. Meyer.

And here's the promised screen of the sexy heavy trooper :eyepop:

The glossy suit makes it a little hard to see, but they are indeed naked. Well, mostly. There is at least some metal around their neck, chest and groin area

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

CheeseThief posted:

If memory serves the concussion grenades are kind of handy during the next section as a gimmick.
If you're talking about the walkway section, then I agree. I never thought about using them there, but it would work out pretty well :v:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The really horrible thing about that armour is that if you look at the old concept art...Aida was originally going to wear it :vomarine:

Fortunately someone on the dev team had an attack of sanity.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Fun fact: If you assign a marine here to "Patrol the outer perimeter" they will call out the location of the incoming enemies.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Loxbourne posted:

The really horrible thing about that armour is that if you look at the old concept art...Aida was originally going to wear it :vomarine:

Fortunately someone on the dev team had an attack of sanity.

Well, 'sanity' in this case being 'late 90s technogoth clubwear', but I guess it's still an improvement. For a fairly well-written character, her actual design is...decidedly videogame-y. Like, if you only ever listened to the audio of the back and forth between her and John, what I'd see in my mind's eye for is pretty far from what's presented. Conversely, if I was just shown a picture of her model removed from context, I'd think she was an extra from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Also, I think you missed a prime opportunity to put the concussion grenades to some use - entirely useless 90% of the time, but when there's an insta-death pit...

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 23, 2015

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
For whatever reason, Dalton's exasperated "Jesus you're a pain in the rear end!" line is the one line that's stuck with me all these years.

I don't remember really noticing it way back when, but now, hearing what sounds to me like a couple of characters from Morrowind bitching at each other on the radio is hilarious.

But yeah, that sequence is the last part of the game I remember; absolutely no recollection of what happens next.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Oh man, THIS guy, I definitely remember this rear end in a top hat now.

I guess the reason I forgot is because I honestly think the exchange is moderately amusing, so it didn't really stick out in any way :v: (Also the level feels really generic, so... yeah)

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Oh. Oh my. It's gonna take me a while to catch up on this, but if there's interest in the multiplayer expansion, I can report that the U2XMP Community Edition still works.

And from getting some friends to try it a few years ago, there is a distinct possibility that the people who never stopped playing may suddenly appear if they notice activity on the servers.

I may or may not still have my collection of screenshots from XMP's prime, when the playerbase didn't entirely consist of "I cannot land a single hit on any of these people they are on a completely different level from us jesus christ this is hosed up"

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Ho ho ho, merry christmas y'all!

I planned to couple this post with an actual video, but my life said "lol nope you ain't getting time for that". Well, Mr life, let me tell you that I have two weeks of vacation now and that you can't stop me from making silly videos :colbert:

Fish Noise posted:

Oh. Oh my. It's gonna take me a while to catch up on this, but if there's interest in the multiplayer expansion, I can report that the U2XMP Community Edition still works.
Nice, I'll try my best to make that happen before the end

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I do like the prevalence of "defend" objectives in this game. If there's one thing you want to have to distinguish yourselves from a previous generation of shooters, I can't think of many that had you setting up defenses.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Well, Mr life, let me tell you that I have two weeks of vacation now and that you can't stop me from making silly videos :colbert:
Tin Tim lied, thread died

Well not quite! I just want to make sure that the thread doesn't fall into the archives since I will finish it. Thing is I was forced to look for a new place, move there, and then some other poo poo also happened so Mr Life got me again despite my claims. Recently my time just has been occupied and I couldn't sit down to edit properly. But I've been doing what I could, so the next set of videos should come out in a week or so. I hope :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I know it's getting a little silly by now, but the thread is still not dead! I was ready to finish and upload new videos this weekend, buuuut I got hit with a nasty cold. Fever and hard shivering included. It has not been a great year for me so far, all things considered :eng99:

Anyway, aiming at next weekend for thread revival if the gods will allow it

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Well, as long as the thread doesn't slip into the archive, it's ok.
Also I hope you recover sooner rather than later. Take care of your health.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
In a way, this mirrors my own attempt to play through Unreal 2. Only in my case, it just kept boiling down to the fact that every time I booted it up to pick up where I left off, it took less than a minute to remember why I'd stopped playing it. I do remember I quite liked the flamethrower, and more specifically, using the flamethrower on spiders... but that's about all. It creates a strange sense of deja vu when I watch some of these videos because I always recognize bits and pieces of the game, but I can never quite decide on whether I recognize them because of the time I spent playing it, or because the devs recycled a lot of material.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm looking forward to being reminded what actually happens in the rest of the game. No rush if you're sick, though.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

:skeltal::skeltal: I HAVE RISEN :skeltal::skeltal:

NaKoja Abad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGnFaGcKw8c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=642gu9E-KNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiKkisjmXcw

John gets some good news from headquarters, and a lead on the next artifact has also been discovered. A corporate science team found one during their dig in a alien ruin, and John immediately blasts off to murder everyone secure it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
who are you and what is this thread again :confused:

:v:

actually I'm glad you're back because Perturbator just put out a new album so I need more recommendations to prevent me from listening to that 24/7. Good timing!

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 7, 2016

• Locked thread