Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh man, Unreal 2. I, uh... actually made a mod for this for a major project when I was at university. Back in the day it probably would have been called a "total/partial conversion" - or maybe just a "singleplayer episode".

It's weird to think about now, but the modding community for Unreal 2 was so small that back then, I was basically the guy that worked out how to do things, and then shared the info.

There was a separate utility to UnrealEd that was used to set up meshes for use in-game, and I remember having to e-mail one of the devs - the guy who made this utility - to ask how to work with character collision in it. The game didn't use havok physics - it had its own ragdoll system where you defined shapes for collision based on the characters' skeletons. It turned out there was an undocumented hotkey (F4, I think?) that made the collision shapes visible. It was a good thing I was able to get in contact with him because I never would have guessed, and it might have killed the project otherwise.

As for the mod itself, it really showed that most of my time was spent just working out how to get things to work; it wasn't very good. Starting life as a Deus Ex mod before being ported to Unreal 2 halfway through didn't help, either.

Anyway, I was a huge fan of the original Unreal. It was such a shame that Epic went over to the "dark side" of multiplayer and then console games. I was really looking forward to Unreal 2 but found it pretty disappointing.

Before Unreal 2 came out I seem to remember the devs talking up some absolutely ridiculous ideas for enemies in the game. Things like blob(?) enemies that could separate into smaller pieces to fit through small cracks before reforming (dynamically, in a 2003 game), enemies that were actually a single entity from a higher dimension that could appear in essentially infinite numbers, complex in-fighting between various factions... that sort of thing. Unsurprisingly, none of these things appeared in the final game.

And yeah, the dodge move was in Unreal 1 too. I remember it clearly, because since you do it by double-tapping a movement direction, I mostly ended up dodging right off a cliff when what I wanted to do was shuffle carefully up to the edge of it. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I remember the early parts of this level from when I played Unreal 2, but the rest of it? Absolutely no recollection; it's so bland.

I think it does improve a little later on, though.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

You can actually also set your speed through the ingame console with the "SetSpeed x" command, but that also has to be done again after each transition.

I can't remember what the console is like in Unreal 2, but if it behaves like most in-game consoles do then maybe you can just tap the Up cursor button to bring up the last command entered, and then hit Enter to enter it again. That doesn't sound so bad.

Of course, I have no idea what that might do to scripted events in the game; like if you trigger something and then move on and trigger the next thing faster than it's expecting you to be able to. Who knows.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Oblivion4568238 posted:

If I remember my (admittedly not very deep) run at making maps in Unreal Editor, triggers are generally zones that you walk through (this explains that door not opening again, since the trigger was probably further behind Tin Tim), so I don't think there's any events you can "outrun" like that.

Based on how it behaved in the video I think it was probably a trigger volume that was set to open the door when the player entered it, but only if the door was currently closed - so Tim had to leave the trigger and enter it again; staying inside it wasn't enough. That's still just a guess, though; it's been a long time since I've used any version of UnrealEd, let alone UnrealEd 2. Things like triggers are usually fairly similar across different games though, and I deal with them fairly often in the (Skyrim) Creation Kit; you need to be careful with them or you get awkward stuff like that door in the video.

With "outrunning" things, I was more wondering about the potential for stuff like entering Trigger A which plays a line of dialogue, then entering Trigger B which also plays a line of dialogue - perhaps from the same character - but is now playing it over the top of the first one because you've triggered it sooner than you were supposed to be able to. That'd be pretty benign, but you could have much worse happen. Still, this is all hypothetical; I was just wondering aloud, really.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I remember this level, but I'd forgotten how short it was; wow.

I'd also forgotten the rocket launcher and its mildly unusual secondary fire mode. Maybe because it's not as interesting/weird as the rocket launcher in Unreal 1, which looked like a minigun and could fire up to six rockets at once depending on how long you held the fire button down. It did a surprising number of different things depending on which fire button you pressed (primary/secondary, as in Unreal 2), whether you held down the button, or held down one button then pressed the other. Single or multiple rockets flying in a straight line - in a spread or grouped all together - or you could fire them like bouncy grenades on a ballistic trajectory. Oh, and I think you could use them as homing rockets if you locked onto a target before firing. It was bananas.

Tim didn't really comment on it in the video, but I liked the magnum; I think it was my favourite weapon, actually. The three-round-burst was really satisfying. In the mod I made for the game I had a pistol weapon that used the same behaviour as the magnum. It was a Beretta 92FS - pretty standard in computer games - and I remember re-jigging the alternate fire so that it was just a single shot, like the primary. In hindsight I probably should have made it a Beretta 93R instead and kept the burst-fire, but I don't think I knew the difference back then. :v:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
There was a sniper rifle in Unreal 1... sort of. It didn't have a scope, but you could zoom in to a ridiculous degree with it as if it did.

It's kind of telling that I'm talking about Unreal 1 again here rather than Unreal 2.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
This is one of those missions that I'm remembering once you get to it, but had otherwise forgotten.

There's actually only one more mission we haven't seen yet that I remember anything about. My mind's a blank beyond that; I don't even remember how the game ends.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That's cool, no rush.

Actually I was just thinking about Unreal 2 recently. In hearing it again via this LP, Dalton's voice sounded incredibly familiar and it was really bugging me; where had I heard it before? Just recently I started watching an LP of Redguard (sort of an Elder Scrolls spin-off from the late nineties), and it clicked: it's Michael Mack and he did the male Redguard voices in Morrowind and Oblivion - but not Skyrim, I don't think. He did the voice of the main character in Redguard, too.

No wonder he sounded so familiar; I still count Morrowind as basically my favourite game of all time.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I mentioned earlier that there was only one more level in Unreal 2 that I remember, and this is the one; mainly the part that comes next, and one quote from Dalton in particular.

I really liked the music in this episode; that first track in particular.

Tin Tim posted:

Hey that's a nice piece of trivia! I played the poo poo out of Morrowind but didn't recal his voice at all.

To carry on in that vein, this time as soon as I heard Meyer's voice I recognised it; it's the guy who did the male Imperial and Dunmer voices in Morrowind and Oblivion; Jeff Baker. I did not pick that he also did Isaak's voice though... but now that I think about it, it does sound a bit like his "Dunmer" voice. (While Meyer sounds like his "Imperial" voice.)

Sorry, I'm a bit of an Elder Scrolls nerd. :v:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
For whatever reason, Dalton's exasperated "Jesus you're a pain in the rear end!" line is the one line that's stuck with me all these years.

I don't remember really noticing it way back when, but now, hearing what sounds to me like a couple of characters from Morrowind bitching at each other on the radio is hilarious.

But yeah, that sequence is the last part of the game I remember; absolutely no recollection of what happens next.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm looking forward to being reminded what actually happens in the rest of the game. No rush if you're sick, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It's good to see this back.

I'd thought I might start to remember this part of the game once I saw it again, but nope; I don't remember this at all.

• Locked thread