Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Ler posted:

The idiots at the LNP think dropping Hockey will be a good thing for them.

It probably will, although I'm not sure it will be enough to turn around their fortunes. Does Joe seem like the type who would go quietly or would he try and gently caress as much up from the back bench as he can?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

It probably will, although I'm not sure it will be enough to turn around their fortunes. Does Joe seem like the type who would go quietly or would he try and gently caress as much up from the back bench as he can?

To be fair he's loving up a fair bit from the front bench so I don't see how much genuine damage he could do from the back.

Who will they move to treasurer?
Up and comer Morrison? Proven contender Bishop? "please shut up now" Turnbull? Mathias "Hard Right" Cormann?

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Schlesische posted:

To be fair he's loving up a fair bit from the front bench so I don't see how much genuine damage he could do from the back.

Who will they move to treasurer?
Up and comer Morrison? Proven contender Bishop? "please shut up now" Turnbull? Mathias "Hard Right" Cormann?
I think Cormann. Morrison is smart enough to not want to be to closely associated with a sinking ship and Bishop has a tainted last name. I don't think the LNP will give the Australian public enough credit to differentiate between Julie and Bronwyn.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Everytime Elise Chapman said "asked" I wanted to yell at her. Plus being completely stupid about Islam as well.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

trunkh posted:

I think Cormann. Morrison is smart enough to not want to be to closely associated with a sinking ship and Bishop has a tainted last name. I don't think the LNP will give the Australian public enough credit to differentiate between Julie and Bronwyn.

Isn't Cormann a Senator? While the Treasurer doesn't have to be someone from the House of Reps, it makes it easier to have the Treasurer from that house during question time rather than having a Deputy taking questions.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

My impression is that there's a desperate belief in the Liberal cabinet that Hockey's the sole reason they're doing so poorly, and that by getting rid of him, that'll be enough to take a win at the next election.

It's not.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

As much as I loathe the current situation with politics in Australia, I do enjoy watching it all implode.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The Australian people are sick and tired of poorly chosen treasurer's picks.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Novembe-...

Maaaaaarch! March!

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
So, Cathy Wilcox tweeted this cartoon yesterday:

https://twitter.com/cathywilcox1/status/637759643167629312

Then Pauline Pantsdown retweeted, requesting that #AbbottIsAPoohead should get trending.

And so far, this:

http://twitter.com/search?src=typd&q=%23AbbottIsAPoohead

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Was nice to hear Triple J News mention the gigantic cost of the Cambodian resettlements this morning. I just can't get over how ridiculous that is. This one figure alone can make it a lot easier now to argue that letting them all into the community on Newstart-level welfare is much cheaper than this poo poo the government's doing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

trunkh posted:

Bishop gets to choose her own portfolio courtesy of being deputy leader of the party, and she's not going to want to give up Foreign Affairs. Abbott won't want Morrison because it's putting the man with the biggest and sharpest knife one step behind him.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

It can't be Bishop as she's shown she is not across economics. Hell, if she were she wouldn't have as diabolical views about taxation as she does.
It might be Morrison, he's competent enough but yes, putting him in a position where he can outshine Tones won't be good for Abbott.
It -could- be Turnbull? Highly competent, but unlikely for the same reason above.

My bet? Andrew Robb.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Bishop gets to choose her own portfolio courtesy of being deputy leader of the party, and she's not going to want to give up Foreign Affairs. Abbott won't want Morrison because it's putting the man with the biggest and sharpest knife one step behind him.

If they're smart Andrew Robb, if they're really dumb please please please Cormann, 2 pressers should be all it takes for the satirical terminator cartoons.

SadisTech posted:

So, Cathy Wilcox tweeted this cartoon yesterday:

Never complain about firstdog again, that is a loving mess.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

gay picnic defence posted:

Bold the whole loving thing. Can't even deport refugees properly mista speakah

This is so far beyond a joke now. The whole issue is a never ending grind compounding on public fatingue, ignorance, and apathy. I want to go back in time and destroy John Howard's phylactery.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Surprise, surprise. Transfield has won the tender for the offshore processing contract. http://tse.live.irmau.com/IRM/Company/ShowPage.aspx/PDFs/1979-10000000/TransfieldServicespreferredtendererforDIBPcontract

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Birb Katter posted:

Apparently Abbotts office forced a retraction of a Hartcher bit about Border Farce.
Don't think that helped all that much :allears:

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/border-farce-and-hot-air-fills-the-leadership-vacuum-20150828-gja8cj

quote:

Hot air fills the leadership vacuum August 29, 2015 Peter Hartcher Sydney Morning Herald political and international editor

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this column incorrectly asserted that the Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, was involved in the decision to launch a planned Border Force operation in Melbourne. Fairfax Media accepts unreservedly that Mr Abbott was not involved in this decision, and also accepts that Mr Abbott had no foreknowledge of the Border Force plan to stop and speak to people about their visa status.

Global markets rumbled ominously this week. It was the perfect soundtrack to the inauguration of Australia's National Reform Summit, a heartfelt cry for national leadership. We already have a national reform summit – it meets in Canberra for about 20 weeks of the year at taxpayers' expense. It's called parliament. The summit was a spontaneous rebuke to the political parties. The elites of business, the union movement and the community came together to try to goad Australia's political leaders into doing their jobs. "We're not going to stand by and let another election be a race to the bottom of what we are not going to do," said the chief executive of the Business Council, one of the prime movers for the summit, Jennifer Westacott.

We already have a national reform summit – it meets in Canberra for about 20 weeks of the year at taxpayers' expense. It's called parliament. But without leaders, parliament is just an expensive public stage for the parading of vanities and vendettas. Australia is in trouble, the summiteers concurred, and is in urgent need of repair. On cue, international financial markets issued a reminder that the world economy is exceptionally fragile. This is no time for complacency. Here's a bracing fact. Global interest rates are lower than at any time in the 5000 years for which there is any type of record, according to the Bank of England.

Mind-bendingly, rates are so low that the interest rate on a German or Japanese government bond is actually negative in real terms. "Investors are prepared to actually pay governments to look after their money", as the Australian Reserve Bank's Philip Lowe put it. The central banks have force-fed so much money into the global banking system, about $US8 trillion of it, that money is not just free. It's cheaper than free. About $US2.4 trillion worth of government bonds is trading at negative interest rates, according to the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), the central bank of central banks.

This is unthinkable, yet it has become a daily reality. Hiding this policy behind a technocratic term, "quantitative easing," cannot disguise the fact that the world's central banks are lost. Or, as the Financial Times' Martin Wolf puts it, they are not the masters of the universe, merely "apes on a treadmill".:laugh: In spite of this unprecedented orgy of money printing, incomes in the big, rich countries are stagnant and falling. Americans, Japanese and people in the European Union have lower average incomes per head today than in 2007 before the onset of the US-led global crisis, as the international economist Ken Courtis points out. Living standards are falling; the system isn't working. "If this unprecedented journey continues, technical, economic, legal and even political boundaries may well be tested," says an expert at the BIS, Claudio Borio, said in a March speech. This is extraordinary stuff for a central bank technocrat.

The Western world, in a trance of wishful thinking, invested China with magical powers to defy economic gravity. This week, the magic wore off. China is not in the same condition as the exhausted West; it is, however, gasping for breath. This week its share market started to catch up with its underlying economy; the market doubled in the past year even as the economy slowed. The Shanghai share market was merely beginning to move back into some sort of alignment with reality. Yet that was enough to panic markets around the world as investors were forced to confront the possibility that China might not be the magical solution to all their woes after all. China spent years in a frenzy of investment, including a great deal of malinvestment. Trillions of dollars of new investment is going into writing down, covering up, refinancing and reshuffling dud investments. One sign? Last year China had new fixed investment equal to a stunning 44 per cent of its GDP. Yet all of this produced GDP growth of only about 5 to 7 per cent.

China's economic adjustment "is closer to its beginning than its end," as the prescient China-watcher Patrick Chovanec told me. With this as its backdrop, Australia's political leaders addressed the national reform summit this week. Tony Abbott sent a video recording of himself giving a stump speech bragging of his government's achievements. It was an insult to the intelligence of the 90 or so chief executives, union leaders, economists and policy experts in the room. For instance: "A lot has happened in the past two years. We've undertaken budget repair with over $50 billion in savings over the forward estimates. Every year the budget deficit will come down by about a half a percentage point of GDP." The summit communique pointedly rejected Abbott's accounting fantasies. It urged the government to make "real progress in fiscal reform, not paper progress through unrealistic budget assumptions". The summit existed because everyone in the room knew exactly what the Abbott government was doing, and knew it was woefully inadequate.

Joe Hockey spoke to the group next. He encouraged it to be "expansive and daring". Yet the substance of his speech was on how the "sovereign consumer" was doing most of the reform of modern economies, implicitly excusing the sovereign government from having to do the work.

Bill Shorten spoke, too. He did, at least, hint at the prospect that Labor was considering reform of workplace practices. But he also repudiated a central tenet of the summit's demand for a tax reform debate "that does not rule out options for reasons of political expediency." Shorten did exactly that, emphatically ruling out any consideration of increasing the GST rate as part of tax reform.

To sum up, the prime minister tells us he's already fixed the problem, the treasurer tells us that the market will fix any remaining problems, and the opposition leader can't see the problem.

In other words, the politicians who addressed the summit vividly illustrated the problem rather than providing any solution. They are so preoccupied with the contest for political advantage that they have lost sight of their responsibility to the national interest. It fell to real experts to address reality. The previous Treasury Secretary, Martin Parkinson, drew attention to the fact that, with the end of the mining boom, Australia had entered a new era of poor economic growth. The latest federal budget is built on Treasury forecasts for growth to accelerate from the 2 per cent range into the 3 per cent range. But Parkinson said that Australia was likely stuck with growth of 2.5 per cent instead of 3 over the next decade, a cumulative loss of 5 per cent in economic growth. Without remedial action, "it means willingly accepting the impact of a recession," he said. "The loss of GDP from a recession is about 5 or 6 percentage points." Without concrete action, Australia was "sleepwalking into a real mess".

The eminent economist Ross Garnaut pointed out that the Abbott government's projected return to budget surplus was based on unrealistic assumptions about productivity growth. He drew on the productivity estimates of Janine Dixon from the Centre for Policy Studies, who found that the more plausible rate of growth was half that assumed by the Treasury. "A weak budget," pointed out Garnaut, "makes us vulnerable to external shocks. The problem is more urgent and severe" than the country realised. And the shocks are coming. Total private and government debt in the major developed countries has ballooned from $US142 trillion to $US199 trillion since 2007, according to McKinsey consulting, an increase of $US57 trillion. This is debt that will never be paid back, says Ken Courtis: "You can imagine what would happen to interest rates and the currency of a country if the government said 'Sorry folks, we won't be paying back the money'. So there is a lot of thinking which we still need to do about the 'end game'."

Australia needs to embrace national reform program that lifts growth, creates jobs, generates revenue and pays down the national debt before the next great global crisis strikes. There is a grim irony in the fact that the Australian institutions that came together to form the summit are themselves not blameless. The Business Council and mining industry assaulted Labor over the Rudd government's planned mining tax so forcefully that Labor is still traumatised over tax reform. The ACTU campaigned so powerfully against the Howard government's WorkChoices policy that the Liberals are still traumatised over workplace reform. These vociferous single-interest campaigns helped turn Australian democracy into what Francis Fukuyama, in another context, calls a "vetocracy" in another context. That is, a system where powerful interests veto government reform.

The BCA and the ACTU got their way. But in the process they created a system that they do not like. They trained the political parties out of attempting meaningful reform. The summit seems to indicate that they are now willing to take part in more constructive problem solving. But the evidence is that neither the Abbott government nor the Shorten opposition is ready for that. Abbott's alternative is to promise tax cuts which are based, like its budget forecasts, on compounding fantasies.

Peter Hartcher is the political editor
And to be perfectly frank you'd have to be a really blighted and chaotic government stumbling punch drunk from one crisis to another to have left any sort of a paper trail on Border Farce lying arou.. So I look forward to NTATA's complete complicity coming out around three pm tomorrow.

And dumping Joe Hockey? Wha? Is some form of human sacrifice necessary? Once they accept the broad premise that incompetence means expulsion where do you stop? Dutton would have to go. Scullion next. Then Kevin Andrews. Is Julie Bishop demonstrably competent? Talk about open Pandora's box. Especially when the person standing in the centre of a laser light show displaying the words incompitent(sp) wearing a day glow vest that says BOZO is none other than NTATA himself. He might as well throw himself backwards into the cutlery draw. Being in the LNP party room must be like watching an incontinent terrier attempt aerobatics in a Me163 in a very small tent.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

oTHi posted:

Surprise, surprise. Transfield has won the tender for the offshore processing contract. http://tse.live.irmau.com/IRM/Company/ShowPage.aspx/PDFs/1979-10000000/TransfieldServicespreferredtendererforDIBPcontract

You'd think that gross incompetence, waste, criminality and negligence would disqualify them. Good thing the private sector is always more efficient, can you imagine how bad this would be run by people with a duty of care beyond "make as much money as possible"?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

So, Scot Morrison created Border Farts and is the guy responsible for the Cambodia fiasco and he is the LNP saviour how exactly? Not to mention the super secret concentration camps...

If anyone has compositing skills and a bit of time on their hands ScoMo's head would be perfect on Willards body at the start of this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRwUlLahpiI

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I wonder how that narrative that Abbott wants the government to stick to is going

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
What's to say ScoMo is knowledgeable enough about economics to be treasurer?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

My impression is that there's a desperate belief in the Liberal cabinet that Hockey's the sole reason they're doing so poorly, and that by getting rid of him, that'll be enough to take a win at the next election.

It's not.

Abbott and Hockey's fates are entwined. If one goes the other goes.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What's to say ScoMo is knowledgeable enough about economics to be treasurer?

Remind me about sloppy Joe's economic qualifications.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

hooman posted:

Remind me about sloppy Joe's economic qualifications.

According to Joe Hockey's biography, he spotted a sign advertising the home when driving past in 1997. The owners didn't want to deal with real estate agents or lawyers so Hockey, a former lawyer, sent his father to have a beer with the owner. His dad did a deal on behalf of his son and scored the home at land value. He didn't mention that he was, himself, a real estate agent.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

It can't be Bishop as she's shown she is not across economics.

I'm pretty sure this isn't an obstacle to becoming treasurer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

clusterfuck posted:

So, Scot Morrison created Border Farts and is the guy responsible for the Cambodia fiasco and he is the LNP saviour how exactly? Not to mention the super secret concentration camps...

He's a "good performer". That's the only metric that matters to any of them anymore.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't an obstacle to becoming treasurer.

She was the treasury spokesperson for the LNP in opposition for a brief period. You're right though, it's less about knowing economics, its being able to speak credibly about economics.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Hockey doesn't have any credibility and he's been treasurer for almost two years now. It'd be Cormann without a doubt if that's what the decision was based on.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Jumpingmanjim posted:

According to Joe Hockey's biography, he spotted a sign advertising the home when driving past in 1997. The owners didn't want to deal with real estate agents or lawyers so Hockey, a former lawyer, sent his father to have a beer with the owner. His dad did a deal on behalf of his son and scored the home at land value. He didn't mention that he was, himself, a real estate agent.

:laffo:

Bootstraps ladies and gentlemen.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Australia's treatment of asylum seekers was bound to lead to something like Border Force
Richard Flanagan

It was news to me, as I suspect it was to many Australians on Friday, that there had been created in our country a paramilitary force that seemed not answerable to the legal limits and public expectations of our police and military forces, but only, and directly, to politicians – those same politicians who of late seem to have little respect for the rule of law, the truth, or the necessary independence of the judiciary.

Known as the Australian Border Force, this goon squad – formerly public servants, lately militarised at considerable taxpayer expense, given guns, the power to detain people, vaguely fascistic uniforms and a mandate that seems to not recognise the laws of their own country – were, we now told, mounting a large operation on Melbourne CBD streets, “speaking with any individual we cross paths with”.

As is so often the case with the Abbott government, this comic event felt like Vladimir Putin meets Rob Sitch’s Utopia; something sinister undone by a reliable stupidity, perhaps our last national virtue. The hallmark bullying swagger of this government’s was matched in this instance by a grovelling backdown as the illegality of the proposed actions become clear and public condemnation overwhelming, and the arse-saving swung into full gear.

Peter Dutton, the minister responsible, seemed, understandably, not to want to take any responsibility, until his office finally came out and said they had been sent the press release announcing the operation two days prior to the operation – but no one had read it. Really? Oh no, it later emerged; they saw it twice, and once at a high, but not ministerial level. Really?

No denial was made though about knowledge of the operation, which is only to be expected given Border Force’s commander reports directly to the minister. The former independent MP Tony Windsor wondered if the minister might not have been gazumped by the prime minister with his craziest captain’s call to date, at which point Captain Ahab himself staggered out on to the sinking bridge of his government to deny all knowledge of the event.

The prime minister blamed it on bad wording and went on to criticise anyone criticising decent public servants doing their job. Which begged other questions: if it was just bad wording why then cancel the otherwise blameless Operation Fortitude? And what if bad wording spoke the truth of a worse culture in Border Force that now saw intimidation as one of its core duties?

Roman Quaedvlieg, the darkly uniformed head of the goon squad, blamed the now apparently lowly Don Smith, (who, as many pointed out, didn’t sound so lowly as commander of Victorian and Tasmanian operations of the Australian Border Force) drafter of the original media statement announcing the operation.

But what was really going on here?

Quaedvlieg proved more enlightening in a recent interview in Lloyd’s List Australia, where he made it clear that Border Force’s “policy role is definitely led by the Department [of Immigration and Border Protection] … The most effective model ensures policy and operations work together with regular feedback and evaluation cycles so that our solutions, whether policy or operational, are holistic, practical and achieve agreed outcomes.” (My emphasis.)

“As ABF commissioner,” Dutton declared just two months ago announcing Quaedvlieg’s appointment, “Mr Quaedvlieg will work closely with the secretary of the department; ensuring that the operational and policy aspects of Australia’s border protection are joined at the highest levels.”

Which raises further questions: what was meant to be the “agreed outcome” of this operation? And who agreed to it “at the highest levels”? As a major public operation, what did Dutton know? And are we to believe that this very public action – the first publicised action by Border Force – was not authorised by Tony Abbott’s cabinet, even if they did not know of its particular details, as part of its ever more desperate attempts to create an election over national security?

Certainly Windsor, a man with no small experience of the ways of national politics, believes so, seeing it as part of the Abbott government’s “agenda to create fear”. It’s “a very sad agenda … to frighten people,” he said. “I have no doubt that some of these people in Tony Abbott’s government hope that something goes wrong domestically. They can taunt a Muslim into doing something so that they can say that we’re the only one who can protect you.”

In this, the Orwellian Border Force seems well primed to do the dirty work. On Australia Day, Mike Pezzullo, head of the immigration and border protection department – striking the necessary tone of the commander of the Night’s Watch of the Seven Kingdoms waiting for the white walkers to come over the wall and eat us all – told those public servants who hoped for a position in the soon-to-be-created Border Force that they “must man the ramparts and protect our borders”.

“Operational workers at the agencies hoping to be picked for the nation’s new border protection team,” reported the Canberra Times on 29 January 2015, “must first prove themselves in boot-camp style tests of strength and stamina including push-ups, squats and shuttle-runs.”

It is an iron law of bastardry that to humiliate others you must first be humiliated yourself. In this spirit, Border Force was an equal opportunity enforcer with “female border officials in the over-55 age group expected to perform four push-ups and six repetition squats as well as undergoing heart rate tests after mounting 22 steps in 60 seconds”.

Those who survived such idiocy to make it in the goon squad then had to work to a mission statement that reads like something out of a Philip K Dick sci-fi dystopia—except that Philip K Dick never gave such offence to the English language as this:

We consider the border not to be a purely physical barrier separating nation states, but a complex continuum stretching offshore and onshore, including the overseas, maritime, physical border and domestic dimensions of the border.

Treating the border as a continuum allows an integrated, layered approach to provide border management in depth – working ahead of and behind the border, as well as at the border, to manage threats and take advantage of opportunities.”

In Border Force world there is no space for reds under our bed, because the refugees are already there, while sleeping on top as well.

“By applying an intelligence-led model and working with our partner agencies across the border continuum,” this Matrix-induced drivel goes on, “we deliver effective border control over who and what has the right to enter or exit, and under what conditions.”

Other than the weird licence such words give to find and punish evil, well, anywhere – hot spots of global people smuggling such as Flinders Lane, my pub, your cafe – the last two clauses, eerily echo John Howard’s infamous 2001 speech in which he declared: “But we will decide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come.”

Only now, it seems they seem to want to decide a whole lot more about us all.

Some critics had the temerity to suggest that the proposed Melbourne operation might lead to racial profiling. Of course racial profiling would have had to have occurred, but that was only the beginning of things with a goon squad so politicised and militarised, tasked with answering to an enemy within, of imaginary borders that must be patrolled in the major streets of our cities now.

It is a truth wearily demonstrated by history that acts of tyranny condoned against some will finally become a tyranny visited on all. And in our acceptance of the antidemocratic, frequently illegal, often inhumane and occasionally criminal practices perpetuated against asylum seekers that have seen fellow human beings variously beaten, raped, molested, humiliated and murdered at Australian taxpayers’ expense, we have cleared a road for our own governments to begin treating us similarly.

And were that to happen, and if innocent victims were to use the courts to seek to protect their freedoms against the excesses of Border Force, would the attorney general – the purported custodian of the rule of law – then accuse them of “lawfare”?

If the public broadcaster sought to question such actions that infringe on our liberties would they be attacked as anti-Australian?

Would it be demanded of journalists that instead of digging to uncover crimes they join Team Australia?

And who is Team Australia anyway? Coal companies, thugs, rapists, goons and News Corp propagandists? To which list I almost forgot to add that epitome of Team Australia achievement, Prince Philip.

Much as the prime minister wishes to distance himself from Friday’s fiasco, he cannot. It is he who created the climate of division, promoted the hysteria and cultivated the hate; who sanctioned the offshore crimes and the lies and legal ruses to hide them; who passed the laws that protected the guilty and punished the innocent and sanctioned the creation of a state paramiltary force to enforce it all. As he said on the day of the inauguration of Border Force: “God bless you, God bless your work.”

The deeply antidemocratic excesses of the Abbott government should disturb any thinking Liberal party supporter. The left for 40 years had to live down the follies of Trotskyites and Maoists in the early 1970s. But their antidemocratic acts never reached beyond student and union politics. The ultra-left never came close to being a federal government.

Paradoxically, those who battled the ultra-left in the 1970s on student campuses and took on much of their authoritarian ardour – the far right – now run Australia. For some time it has been evident that the Abbott government has been the worst in our history – the most inept and the most incompetent.

But with such actions as Friday’s aborted exercise in police state intimidation, the Abbott government also begins to look in its desperation to cling to power the most dangerous. Perhaps knowingly, perhaps not, they are summoning into existence forces with powers they do not understand and no democracy should allow. These excesses will be a very long time being forgotten.

The Liberal party can look forward to decades of living such ignominy down. For the highest purpose of a democratic government is to bring a society together and hold it together, not to divide it with fears, with rumours of wars, with acts of belligerence against other and then against its own. It is not to instil fear on our streets with a paramilitary force run by politicians.

The forces that for two centuries held nations together are now in eclipse, and new ideas that make a murderous cult in the Middle East more attractive to young Australians than their own society can only be battled by finding new ways of bringing us together, not further dividing us and weakening our sense of ourselves as a society.

A political party needs reminding that they are only that, that it’s our Australia, not theirs, and certainly not their goons. And it’s time we took it back.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/31/australias-treatment-of-asylum-seekers-was-bound-to-lead-to-something-like-border-force

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

oTHi posted:

Some more details on that

quote:

Transfield Services, the company embroiled in a series of scandals over human rights abuses in its offshore asylum detention centres, appears set to continue running the Manus Island and Nauru facilities for another five years, after being announced as the government’s preferred tenderer to run “welfare and garrison support services” offshore.

Guardian Australia understands the total five-year contract could be worth about $2.7bn, about $45m every month.

Transfield’s bid is understood to be significantly more expensive than some other tenderers, but the per-month figure was reduced from its current contract budget, due largely to smaller detention centre operations.

And Guardian Australia understands the announcement from the government means that Save the Children, which was providing welfare services for children and families on Nauru, will no longer operate on the island. That role will be taken over by Transfield.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/31/transfield-named-coalitions-preferred-tenderer-for-manus-and-nauru-centres

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Holy poo poo they couldn't get any more awful if they tried.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Holy poo poo they couldn't get any more awful if they tried.
You haven't been playing long have you.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Heydon will stay on.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dan Didio posted:

Heydon will stay on.

:getin:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao they're not even hiding the fact they'll be rorting the gently caress out of everyone

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dan Didio posted:

Heydon will stay on.

Ahahahaha, with this, the Cambodian asylum exchange program failing and Operation FuckUp last Friday, Abbott's goose is surely cooked.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

Heydon will stay on.

This gif is so versatile

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
How on earth can the government justify selecting the tender which is significantly more expensive? Isn't that literally the whole point of the tendering process? Not only is Transfield unspeakably awful, everything about the process is corrupt, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-31/blog-dyson-heydon-hands-down-royal-commissioner-decision/6737636

Live feed of breaking Heydon details.

• Locked thread